Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chairchucker posted:

Firefly was v. fun and good actually.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Smirking_Serpent posted:

what's joss up to now actually?

Hopefully working on another season of the best show ever made, Firefly

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Speleothing posted:

Chiming in to say that my browncoat friend from high school still gets really upset when I remind him that the end of season one was already poorly written and that the show was lucky to have been killed before it got really bad.

It is fortunate the show did end on a high note, instead of getting dredged up and remade into a newer, even shittier series every few years like star trek or star wars.

Lotta projected self loathing in this thread

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
After reading through the thread, I’m still not sure what the hate for the show really is, other than the terminally online being edgy?

I guess Joss Whedon really isn’t a great person for various personal reasons? But I guess I don’t really pay that much attention or honestly care about people’s personal lives?

Curious what the thread’s hot take on Dr. Horrible’s Sing Along Blog is...

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Horsebanger posted:

Best part of it was that movie which was decent, but the series was hot garbage. It was just the only thing on tv at the time.

Next year we got BSG so woo I guess.

Agreed, BSG was pretty great (at least up till the last season).

Feel completely opposite on Firefly though—series was great, movie was pretty mediocre. Felt really cheap with lotta generic hollywood expedencies. Idea behind the story was solid though, just poor execution.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Agronox posted:

And there is nothing new under the sun. It's a trite criticism

This

So, if firefly and bsg are apparently unmitigated trash, what’s a good sci fi space show you guys would recommend?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 3, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

:hmmyes:

Ok, cool, adding Babylon 5, Lexx, and the Expanse to my plex server so I can binge in quarantine!

Also planning on checking out the Lost in Space reboot on Netflix

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's been a while since I watched BSG but my recollection is that the first season is still Good. My biggest gripe with that was the angst between Adama and his son, which never felt particularly compelling to me but I might just have bad opinions on that part.

Uh, anyway, there's an anime called Planetes which I'd say is pretty darn good. It does a pretty decent job at staying relatively plausible in terms of being a near-ish future sci-fi, it's got people with varied motivations and backgrounds who are also generally decent sorts, and it also has something to say.

What's it about? Oh, it's about space garbage collectors. No seriously the show follows a team of people whose job is to clean up Earth orbital space.

First 2.5-3 seasons of BSG are excellent, and then it veers into a weird religiosity thing and takes a hard turn south. Planning a rewatch in proper order of all the little one off minisodes and movies here soon.

Not big on anime, but I really do love the premise of Space Janitors. I’ll give it a shot!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Well, I recently rewatched the series during quarantine and I have to say, it stands up remarkably well! The movie is truly awful though, and I feel like that’s where the cringey stuff about river hits hardest. The movie is a completely different tone, and the characters and their motivations hardly match the series.

Overall it would’ve been a much better series without the river character, like if they had just been regular outlaws. For the most part it just deals with frontier hardships, which is where I feel like the series has its best moments and lines. For the most part the writing is still funny, and the acting is great. 9/10 on the series, 3/10 on the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mind the walrus posted:

It's just that the universe it's in really does suck on like every level.

And that’s where I feel like the movie ruined a lot of things. A lot of the cringey samurai stuff and poor explanations of the reavers and society and dumb telekinetic stuff really came into focus, whereas before that it was all ambiguous. Not a fan of the weirdness with the sex worker character, but at least in the show’s defense there’s evidence of sex workers being held in higher esteem before the temperance movement and other puritanical social movements of the time redefined public opinion. Knowing whedon was a lovely person really helps explain how the way that character was written though.