Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I'm going to watch the entirety of Firefly in one sitting, dosing myself twice an episode with an appropriately-themed cocktail that a youtube video said I had to make otherwise I'm not properly consumering nerd culture. I very strongly identify with being a "brown coat" because I see myself as a rebel against those who look down their nose at me whenever I recite a fun science fact or other bit of "nerdisms." Anybody who points out that Firefly romanticizes the Confederacy and that we don't really know that the outer planets weren't fighting to preserve chattle slavery don't really understand the complex subtext of this series.

Honestly, I think Big Bang Theory saved my life by introducing me to Firefly. The powerful bonds of friendship and shared camaraderie between Whedon's masterfully-written characters is the kind of thing that society denies to our kind on a regular basis. It's a "crying shame" (as Jayne would say :3) that Browncoat culture is on such a sharp decline. I feel like it has more to offer in these turbulent times than when the series was actually airing! Now, I've never actually read any of Carl Sagan's books (but I own all of them! A couple are still in the original collector's plastic wrap.), but I feel like he would have taken to the browncoat "fandom" like "herpes to a whorehouse." In fact, I think all of history's greatest thinkers would identify with this movement if they only knew it existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

If Firefly launched in 2020 it would never turn into a dumb cult thing unless it treats kink as an oppressed demographic or something idk

I do like the big alliance city ship thing in it. Looks cool as hell.