Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

when you definitely passed freshman bio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

a viral thread eh, oho i see what you did there

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Venom Snake posted:

you wouldn't create a bio-weapon without a clear weakness to ensure it couldn't be used against you effectively. nah this is all nature cooking something up in the wild-life markets, glad the CCP has straight up just banned them all lol

talk about closing the barn door

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

for each person infected they infect approx 5 people. which means the disease goes from 1,000 people to 5,000 people to 25,000 people to 125,000 people to 635,000 people to 3,125,000 to 15,625,000 to 78,125,000 people to 390,625,000 people to 1.9 billion people to 9.75 billion people to 48 billion people to 244 billion people to 1.2 trillion people, etc.

40 billion dead due to albert nobel's invention, coronavirus

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Crusader posted:

born to infect
world is hosed
武漢 kill em all 2020
i am nucov-19
40,000,000,000 dead humans

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
decided to look up some of the other corona viruses on wikipedia:

quote:

The World Health Organization advises avoiding contact with camels and to eat only fully cooked camel meat, pasteurized camel milk, and to avoid drinking camel urine.

thanks, i will definitely avoid drinking camel piss

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

How long will it take to infect Baghdad? 2 days
Will Trump be killed? Yes
Total chinese civillian casualties: 5000000 dead

the next six months will be critical

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

ragevirus. I am 100% certain that this exists somewhere deep in the amazon, congo, or the sumatran jungle

this exists, it's called rabies

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Schnorkles posted:

i'm the incredibly angry virologist that i heard today yelling that it almost certainly didn't come from fish

lmao

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

snoo posted:

from the gbs thread

me, on day 5 of feeling like i 'just have a cold': :stonk:

god drat, that guy is lucky to be alive. once you go on the ventilator odds of survival are not great

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

dex_sda posted:

And as a final shitpost, I encourage people to read about how loving utterly metal the immune system is, and just how inconceivable it is that it's so effective. It's a machine to win a genetic arms race in a week where the opponent has been preparing for generations.

it sure sucks rear end when your immune system decides it wants to cause a ruckus when there's no threat tho

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

i know we got lmao this owns, but poo poo is pretty serious and a bit scary because containment has such an extremely small % chance at success and the traits make it perfect to spread around unknowingly (not that people would generally give a poo poo even if they knew). especially as an ex-smoker, and taking public transit trains to work everyday in SF. oh well, so it goes

we lmao for the traditional cspam reason of poo poo being hosed and there being little we can do about it

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

ahahaha this is some endtimes antichrist poo poo

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

vyelkin posted:

Sounds like his was an early-ish case, before others realized what they were dealing with, and was likely worsened by his work. Healthcare professionals are often at significantly elevated risk from the diseases they're working to treat, just look at how the doctor that discovered SARS also died of SARS.

What this post makes me think of is how much CO2 is currently not being pumped into the air by all those idle factories. At this rate the Wuhan coronavirus might buy human civilization another year or two.

yikes, didn't realize that guy was only 34

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

MarcusSA posted:

The people on that Japanese ship are not in for a good time.

https://twitter.com/quarantinedond1/status/1225950755330199552?s=21

They posted yesterday that no one will he allowed off the ship until Feb 19th at the earliest and now this.

There was a goon on the ship that docked in New York yesterday and they let everyone off but did remove some passengers by ambulance.

I’m not really sure why they didn’t confirm cases before letting people off but what do I know.

:shrug:

welcum 2 hell

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

oh boy another sequel nobody asked for

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

remember when this post was a joke

and then they actually named it Sars Virus 2

just call it novacorona or something, sounds ominous and a bit cyberpunk

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Zeno-25 posted:

How long do you have to quit smoking to have reduced severity of pneumonia?

I'm prob hosed might as well keep on smoking while I can

imo don't use the disease that preferentially kills smokers as a reason not to quit smoking

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the center for posting control and meltdown prevention

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

ok has anyone tried to predict the future by looking at old trump tweets

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe you could sell them to amateur rappers

fuckin lol

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Admiral Ray posted:

the ideal quarantine food isn't rice and beans. it's fermented veggies, pickled beets, and 10 lb sticks of cured meats and fish.

was just thinkin this today :hai:

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Lacrosse posted:

I thought you were supposed to toss the water from the first soak when reconstituting dry beans because it'll make you sick?

if this is because of kidney bean lectin cooking at a high enough temp (greater than boiling).

the danger is that if you cook them at below boiling the toxicity gets worse, so make sure the beans get hot enough

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
while you were partying, i studied the bean

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
a month and a half ago we all thought we would die in nuclear hellfire. ah to be young and innocent again

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Thinking about making guac. What's the best prepper replacement for avacados?

as an rna virus the coronavirus is full of guac

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

kopasetic posted:

talked to an infectious disease doc today who is convinced this is all overblown. the icu doc I talked to was almost making GBS threads himself.

drat. stay safe medicine goons

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Epic High Five posted:

never stops being funny seeing people with 3%er poo poo on their social media saying that a low percentage of the population being symptomatic of a highly contagious disease means nothing

in a few months '3%er' is gonna have a very different meaning

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

stuffed crust punk posted:

whats the difference between a garbanzo and a chick pea

bresident brainscabs didnt pay to have a gazpacho on obungler's bed

garbonza bean tape is real

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

everything is going to be canceled. im waiting for sxsw to be canceled and austin freak out because while everyone hates it its a huge part of the economy

cancel culture has gone too far this time

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

imagine giving the trump admin the benefit of the doubt

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Reclines Obesily posted:

coronavirus update: i tested my quarantine diet by opening a box of muesli bars and eating all of them, i now have a stummy ache

gastrointestinal distress? sounds like coronavirus

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
hi i have no idea what levels of irony everyone is posting at right now but please do not take medical advice from this thread

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

703 posted:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1234662366043705349

i don't even know what to take away from this but lol

this guy thought he was gonna get an easy gig where he gets to be the boss and funnel a bunch of money to his pharma buddies but instead an actual disaster happened and he's goin under the bus because the big wet president looks bad on tv

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
this virus, the one that causes pneumonia? yeah it probably eats your brain that's why people can't breathe

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

lol

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Schnorkles posted:

let it be known that triple sulk posted that he was feeling sick with coronavirus like things and i hope he is okay that is all

we've had several us posters report similar symptoms. but we don't know who has the coronavirus and who has a cold or flu because the cdc tests both dont work and they cost 3000 dollars. also you cant get one unless you are dying

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Rated PG-34 posted:

I tried to convince my bro that the root of the bad ncov response is capitalism but i don’t think he really bought it

i wonder if the powers that be realize, that, while most people will pay thousands of dollars they don't have to keep themselves or a loved one alive, they will not do this to prevent the spread of a disease

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'd be glad to be wrong, but I definitely do not believe the administrations is capable of this

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/03/health/us-coronavirus-updates-tuesday/index.html

'up to'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
you're doing a heck of a job pensie