Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

That's a 100% increase!

Note: still only 1 TD, the absolutely painful Peadar Goimbín

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Christ, I thought they had somehow multiplied in the last election.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
you are all depressingly well behaved down there imo

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Failed Imagineer posted:

Note: still only 1 TD, the absolutely painful Peadar Goimbín
But twice the party size! If they keep up this rate of increase then within a millenium they'll be the biggest party in Ireland!

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

crispix posted:

you are all depressingly well behaved down there imo

I'm not!!!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Oh yeah what's the deal with people leaving N plates on for years and years. Just cba to take them off? There's absolutely no way all these people or their kids are actually freshly passed

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

gonadic io posted:

Oh yeah what's the deal with people leaving N plates on for years and years. Just cba to take them off? There's absolutely no way all these people or their kids are actually freshly passed

Unless it's a Skoda Octavia in which case they might. I swear, every single time I wonder WTF is that idiot doing, it's an Octavia. I'm wondering if it isn't just the most common car in the country though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

gonadic io posted:

You'd want to be some masochist to want to continuously deal with the road-bullying you get on an N plate

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

gonadic io posted:

I would imagine some are families with a string of kids coming through the teens. They're all being taught to drive and they get to share, "Mammy's car," as they learn. I wouldn't be surprised if an RTÉ2 "comedy" program dealt with it at some point. Of course once they learn to drive they're hosed off into their own world where they can neither afford the car nor the insurance. So their piss-stain of a little brother drives them around with them on the full license and the younger fella "getting experience"/annoying the hole off the older one.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

There's probably a huge spike in N drivers around now from the backlog of learner drivers trying to take the test during Covid.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Something occurred to me as I saw all of FG celebrating the founding of the Free State yesterday.

With the war in Ukraine they say Ukraine should keep fighting and under no circumstances negotiate a treaty with Russia that would see them ceding the 5 eastern provinces.
But also the Irish should have stopped fighting and negotiate a treaty with Britain ceding the 6 northern counties.

How do they square those 2 contradictory ideas?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Ukraine could actually stand up against Russia, whereas British ships go Brrr seemed a lot less hopeful.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Ukraine has had western weapons funnelled into it since before the 2014 coup. The war in Ukraine is a western proxy war designed to bleed russia and reshape the american sphere of influence.

Britain didn't want the war in Ireland to escalate because Britain itself would have been potentially endangered. The war of independence escalating could have been devastating for the empire. So much so that they armed the pro treaty faction during the civil war. Didn't matter in the end, losing Ireland was the beginning of the end of the British Empire.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Bigger issue I'd say is the treaty ceding the 6 counties meant the way ended with Ireland controlling 26 more than they did at the start. Ukraine ceding 5 provinces would mean controlling 5 less than at the start.

This isn't going into the question of whether the Unionists in the 6 counties at the time would have acquiesced or successfully taking them would have meant a much longer and bloodier civil war. I don't think there's a real separatist threat in eastern Ukraine any more.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

Ukraine has had western weapons funnelled into it since before the 2014 coup. The war in Ukraine is a western proxy war designed to bleed russia and reshape the american sphere of influence.

That sounds like a load of bollox, Putin invaded in 2014 and annexed Ukrainian land and, Putin invaded in 2022 and annexed Ukrainian land... that is never an act of self defence.

That doesn't even cover their human rights abuses once the had control over the land.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Turns out you can oppose US imperialism without carrying water for Russian imperialism.

That being said, the US sphere of influence is absolutely loving this excuse to protractedly degrade Russia and use up all its own Northrup Grumman/Raytheon/Lockheed/Cyberdyne stockpiles

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ukraine has western weapons because they asked for them and without them they'd have Russian tanks rolling around killing people in Kyiv for the past year.

The destruction of the British Empire and the destruction of the Russian Empire are both good and cool and make racists and weirdo cryptofascists multipolar their pants.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
A United Ireland discussion seems to include a new Fleg!

We might need a contest.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Just scrap the existing tricolor in favour of the flag of Côte d’Ivoire.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just don't ask Flag Mashup Bot for any suggestions.

https://twitter.com/flagsmashupbot/status/1166392868501643264

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The least bot of all the Twitter bots

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Just Another Lurker posted:

That sounds like a load of bollox, Putin invaded in 2014 and annexed Ukrainian land and, Putin invaded in 2022 and annexed Ukrainian land... that is never an act of self defence.

That doesn't even cover their human rights abuses once the had control over the land.

I'm imagining you with one finger up your nose looking up from a copy of the evening herald. Putin personally invaded, yes. Go back to lurking :)

Guavanaut posted:

Ukraine has western weapons because they asked for them and without them they'd have Russian tanks rolling around killing people in Kyiv for the past year.

The destruction of the British Empire and the destruction of the Russian Empire are both good and cool and make racists and weirdo cryptofascists multipolar their pants.

"Asked for them". Don't be stupid. Theres one Empire on the planet and its the one that picked up where the British left off.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Turns out you can oppose US imperialism without carrying water for Russian imperialism.

That being said, the US sphere of influence is absolutely loving this excuse to protractedly degrade Russia and use up all its own Northrup Grumman/Raytheon/Lockheed/Cyberdyne stockpiles

Who is carrying water for russian "imperialism"?

Marenghi posted:

Something occurred to me as I saw all of FG celebrating the founding of the Free State yesterday.

With the war in Ukraine they say Ukraine should keep fighting and under no circumstances negotiate a treaty with Russia that would see them ceding the 5 eastern provinces.
But also the Irish should have stopped fighting and negotiate a treaty with Britain ceding the 6 northern counties.

How do they square those 2 contradictory ideas?

The truth is there is no squaring of anything, western liberals and conservatives are rabid dogs. They are amoral chauvinists who care about the bottom line and nothing more. There is money to be made in orchestrating a war in the The Ukraine. And by jingo we'll have it!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Southpaugh posted:

Based on those scare quotes - you

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

oh no, you got me, I'm a russian nationalist, and I laugh maniacally and roll around in my own poo poo because I love russia so much.

this isn't the thread for this - come to the cspam war thread if you want to take about the intricacies of the on going NATO aggression in the Ukraine.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

You... Think the 'West' has somehow played a strategic master stroke and baited Russia into invading a neighbouring country to seize territory/implement regime change multiple times over a decade? All in order to put money in the hands of defence contractors?

I mean, I guess do you really think Ukrainians and Russians are just dancing to the tune of some CIA psyop and aren't making any choices for themselves? Cause this seems even more far-fetched than suggesting that the second Iraq war was in fact a Saudi plot to make the US more dependent on their oil resources and in fact we should be mad at the previous Saudi king for all the deaths and chaos in the middle East, let's not discuss the American role.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

MrNemo posted:

You... Think the 'West' has somehow played a strategic master stroke and baited Russia into invading a neighbouring country to seize territory/implement regime change multiple times over a decade? All in order to put money in the hands of defence contractors?

I mean, I guess do you really think Ukrainians and Russians are just dancing to the tune of some CIA psyop and aren't making any choices for themselves? Cause this seems even more far-fetched than suggesting that the second Iraq war was in fact a Saudi plot to make the US more dependent on their oil resources and in fact we should be mad at the previous Saudi king for all the deaths and chaos in the middle East, let's not discuss the American role.

I think Russia did the exact thing that Russia is going to do from its geographical and historical play book as a nation state when strategic territory on Russian borders is threatened. So yes, they were baited into it when NordStream 2 wasn't certified in February. I didn't think they were going to invade at the time. Worth bearing in mind that Ukrainians and Russians in the eastern territories have been getting shelled by Kiev backed nazis since before the maidan uprising. There are long term and historical factors at play here and they don't make it into the Irish Times.

Appealing to a whole countries "agency" is silly btw.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Southpaugh posted:

oh no, you got me, I'm a russian nationalist, and I laugh maniacally and roll around in my own poo poo because I love russia so much.

Calm down mate, this is posting like you're on a Geocities guestbook.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Failed Imagineer posted:

Calm down mate, this is posting like you're on a Geocities guestbook.

I tend to give back the standard that I get.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southpaugh posted:

This guy:

Southpaugh posted:

"Asked for them". Don't be stupid. Theres one Empire on the planet and its the one that picked up where the British left off.

Southpaugh posted:

Worth bearing in mind that Ukrainians and Russians in the eastern territories have been getting shelled by Kiev backed nazis since before the maidan uprising. There are long term and historical factors at play here and they don't make it into the Irish Times.
Seriously, this is claiming that the pro-Russian Yanukovych was supporting nazis who were shelling the Russians in eastern territories before he got booted for office. How does that claim even make sense to you?

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 8, 2022

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Sorry for using the word "shelled" when I should have used the term "suffered stochastic violence inflicted by then fringe right wing elements in Ukrainian society that were enabled/ignored by the ruling regime". Actual nazis have been in charge since 2014.

Edit: This is the last post I'm making in this thread on this subject. That the general reaction to pointing out western/NATO culpability in the war in the Ukraine, is to claim that I'm carrying water for the Russian Federation, a neo-liberal petrostate, is your brains on liberalism. Try marxism folks, it makes a lot more sense.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 8, 2022

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Slava Ukraini

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

I'm imagining you with one finger up your nose looking up from a copy of the evening herald. Putin personally invaded, yes. Go back to lurking :)

The truth is there is no squaring of anything, western liberals and conservatives are rabid dogs. They are amoral chauvinists who care about the bottom line and nothing more. There is money to be made in orchestrating a war in the The Ukraine. And by jingo we'll have it!

I think you're the CSPAM overflow not me, begone foul fiend. :agesilaus:

:ukraine:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Southpaugh posted:

Try marxism folks, it makes a lot more sense.

You are not the only person in the universe to read Marx and Chomsky and have a shelf of Verso books explaining why the US is poo poo.

But your take honestly sounds like you fell asleep watching an Adam Curtis documentary and got confused.

Sorry if this is just taking cheap shots after you've "moved on", but also you're coming across as a massive supercilious dickhead so I'm not that sorry

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Southpaugh posted:

Sorry for using the word "shelled" when I should have used the term "suffered stochastic violence inflicted by then fringe right wing elements in Ukrainian society that were enabled/ignored by the ruling regime". Actual nazis have been in charge since 2014.

Is this not the argument given by the west to justify the invasion of Afghanistan post 9/11?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southpaugh posted:

Edit: This is the last post I'm making in this thread on this subject. That the general reaction to pointing out western/NATO culpability in the war in the Ukraine, is to claim that I'm carrying water for the Russian Federation, a neo-liberal petrostate, is your brains on liberalism. Try marxism folks, it makes a lot more sense.
You're being called out on imperialist thinking by a marxist.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

OwlFancier posted:

Is this not the argument given by the west to justify the invasion of Afghanistan post 9/11?

Was there even a reason given for invading Afghanistan. Bush said it was revenge for 9/11 but Afghanistan had nothing to do with that.

And sorry for bringing this Ukraine derail to the thread. I was just annoyed seeing some celebrating the free state.
The same people who say no surrender for Ukraine, no negotiations, it's nuclear war before they let Russia take their counties. Were also the ones saying that it's actually quite prudent of the pro-treaty side to have negotiated a position as a little Ireland in the commonwealth and the alternative of more fighting was too violent.

It just reeks of hypocrisy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marenghi posted:

Was there even a reason given for invading Afghanistan. Bush said it was revenge for 9/11 but Afghanistan had nothing to do with that.

Securing the poppy fields and heroin supply necessary to fund the CIA's ops around the world, while projecting force deep into Asia.

Officially? Idk mumble mumble 9/11 I guess. PNAC picked their moment to go balls to the wall while every American soccer-mom was baying for Muslamic blood. Remember, bin Laden had his fortress of doom in Tora Bora, hidden somewhere under the Earth's crust. Possibly it was mobile like Krang's Technodrome because it never quite materialised

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 8, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There is an official reason and it's incredibly :smith:. Basically kicked off a 20 year hellwar because they couldn't wait for a week.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Can we just forget this whole meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Threads been radicalised now, it's all hosed