Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Marenghi posted:

R/Ireland mod team seem to have an agenda of late.

I tried to post this article of the guards stating racists are spreading lies about him having multiple convictions. And the mods removed it saying it should be posted as a comment in the super thread.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-worry-over-nkencho-shooting-lies-39924798.html

Yet this article which indicates the shooting was justified is allowed its own thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/kpkf91/gardai_had_to_shoot_george_nkencho_under_public/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

Worst about this is I know loads of young adults get their local news from r/Ireland and a lot of my mates are repeating the bullshit being spread in the comments.

I learnt a few years ago that the bloody place can be an echo chamber.

\o/ Waves from Co. Antrim. \o/

:asoiaf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I wonder how the Loyalists up here will restart the kerfuffle after the Duk is buried; Arlene blowing on a whistle or a slow wind up to setting Larne ablaze (a man can dream). :allears:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

most unionist don't care about England and England has openly not given a poo poo about NI for a decades at a government level let alone the public. Unioninsts want the union and partition maintained to keep the supreamcist state they built up with starting with James Craig while the republic and egnalnd just recused themselves from any input

They sacrificed three of the nine counties to keep their little enclave for 100 years, what do they do next?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

I thought kneecapping was traditional among the Irish

It's more of a guideline than a rule. :cop:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

The numbers are a loving joke right now and it’s not even Christmas yet. The country’s just gonna melt the gently caress down in January 2022.

The whole of Europe got complacent and is now paying a high price. :(

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

Telling people to get out of the house and spend spend spend was never complacency its the murderous greed at the heart of capitalism.

That's a depressingly accurate take on our consumerist culture.

When i made money i spent it on whims, now i do neither. ;)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

So, in light of recent events in this thread… how 'bout that Eirexit?

A Tory wet dream of a dead empire, any Irishman who believes that is a loving eejit.

Us in Northern Ireland are extremely glad that we're not yet as buggered as the rest of Brexitania and a pox on anyone down south who wants to join this insanity.... tell them to move to England and have done with it. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

gonadic io posted:

As far as I can tell the only people actually pushing Irexit are literal Tories in England who are very annoyed that the EU is protecting Ireland from them

Thank the gods for that, i might be up north but after "800 years of the brits" i don't want all of us falling into the abyss with them.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

i've always been a big loner saddo and covid has hardly changed my life at all tbh

Ditto. :confused:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mrenda posted:

Merry Christmas Irish goons. Remember, if you're on a yearly schedule get your annual bath in before New Years.

What can i say, it takes a long time to get Lough Neagh up to temperature. :f5:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Shoehead posted:

E: Also hello! It's always cool to find more Irish goons, pop into the LAN thread and let us know what you have in a full Irish please: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032503

Oh goody, as a filthy Northener i can at least lurk there and see how Éire works when compared to my loony filled corner of the island. :sickos:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

Theres a huge section of the irish middle class who really resent not having access to the british honour system and I really feel like they are the same people who would buy solid green flags and play the rugby song.

Automatic peerage if they can swim from Rosslare to Holyhead beginning on xmas day.... no wetsuits allowed.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Those who rule in conflict can have a hard time doing the same in peace.

You didn't end up like us in N.I. so i think you've worked out well enough. ;)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

What a shithole of a province i live in, full to the brim with every type of gobshite imaginable. :rolleyes:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

take down the government again you fucks

I can see the Tories going for direct control again.... and the thing is they'll be saner/better than the DUP.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Speaking from up north but i find it very strange when i conclude Sinn Fein might be a reasonable choice. :stonklol:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

I say we give the terrorists a chance. Literally can't be any worse short of open border skirmishes.

Technically two of the three main parties derive from the same terrorist organisation.... confusion ensues.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

But what are the political implications?

Ability to build houses that don't crumble to dust but you can never again walk barefoot on the strangely textured floors... especially at night. ;)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

That was immediately what my mind went to upon reading crispix's reply.

The whole census may be skewed anyway as i don't remember if i put down None or Catholic with regard to religion. :blush:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?

Catholic atheist of course. :agesilaus:

Weird thing is if i ever got religion again i would be Buddhist.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Protestant Buddhist or Catholic Buddhist?

You should be asking Theravada, Mahayana or Vajrayana Buddhist. :cheeky:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

well that's the end of the assembly until after the May election

please please please let this be the time the DUP finally get what they deserve :pray:

Yes, please give them the Rapture... just them. :cawg:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Is there any group that is appealing to the more "fervent" unionists?

TUV are the lads you want... or not... as the case may be.

Think DUP with a less Creationist but more Protestant Land For A Protestant People vibe. :rolleyes:

A pack of gobshites, the lot of them.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

...... the census reveals that catholics are the majority here for the first time...

This is more interesting and more important than the vote i think, even though i haven't made any contribution to that potential shift... and my sister pumped out eight for the :airquote: other side :airquote: (primary school teachers are weird). :chaostrump:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

As i'm stuck in North Antrim i've got Jim Allister... mister TUV as one of my ballot choices, will vote tactically Alliance as usual. :rolleyes:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Well I did wonder from the name.

Are Alliance likely to draw much of the unionist vote do you think? I vaguely remember that they were once a unionist party but are apparently not any more? Or does it represent more a general shift of priorities to other issues?

They are what you would get as a unionist party if all the loonies were gone, the ability to choose a "normal" party has much greater appeal than it used to be.

Unionists who voted remain will be more attracted to them than last time.

Here's me, a nationalist, putting Alliance as my first preference on Thursday, helping them helps diminish the DUP in my area (probably won't but if the % gives them a migraine then my job is done).

I used to vote SDLP but they've lost their mojo locally over the last decade.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Here in North Antrim my Alliance candidate O'Lynn got in... among with Allister & Frew (TUV & DUP). :shrug:

What happens next god only knows.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just because a lot of societies put us at the bottom in the past doesn't mean we became enlightened when others are put on the same level.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

you should see loyalist twitter lool

I can imagine that far too much but unless it's vids of russians having a very bad day i avoid Twitter at all cost. :ukraine:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

wee Jeffrey all hurt at being called out by the yanks lol

OH? :allears:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

And nothing of value was lost.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Very hard to imagine the UK PM being able to pull that one off as a comparison. Usually once you're out you're cooked.

Boris has a cunning plan. :grin:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Caro still isn't a Nazi, and has also gone to Ukraine apparently.

Oh sweet zombie jesus. :ughh:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

gonadic io posted:

Radio just said that Ireland is experiencing record brain-gain as workers flee *presenter pauses* nearby countries

Where they going?

edit: To rectify my confusion: my little brain immediately thought "brain-gain" was "brain-DRAIN". :rolleyes:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 6, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

i don't think the shinners should have met the new king tbh, he's not going to be popular and they could have got in on the ground floor

Any opportunity to increase the blood pressure of DUP/TUV members must be taken when available. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

Census 2021: More from Catholic background in NI than Protestant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-62980394

Put myself down as Catholic even though i've been atheist for near 40 years, have to go with the tribe!!! :downsbravo:

Seeing some Loyalists having meltdowns is well worth it though.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

i'm a prod btw, i can't say i feel any different today, being part of an ethnic mannoridy even within the borders of NI

Nay worries, nearly all of my nephews & nieces are the same as yourself.

Need more integrated schools, need more integrated schools, need more integrated schools,...

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

gently caress em, i haven't given the cunts any TV license money for years (don't watch tv but that never stopped them trying to bill me). :rolleyes:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

gonadic io posted:

ah yes, this trade deal that absolutely is very real will fix everything.

My word to the EU is for them to give the UK NOTHING!!! :argh:

It might make things a bit tight here in NI but it's a price worth paying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

PowerBeard posted:

Nuclear Power stations as close to the Irish sea as possible, offset the raw sewage pollution, mutate the fish, and increase tourism with Lovecraft fans when the fish men begin walking in land.

I see no problems here.

From memory i think the best site mentioned for one was on the Kerry coast... near an existing power station i think?! :shrug: