Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Posting on the ground floor of this here Ireland thing.

Also obligatory @iresimpsonsfans from the last election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Blut posted:

This was absolute gold from the debate last night. Its the top story on the Irish Times today, and front page in a couple of the newspapers. The best analysis I've seen is Leo wasn't panicking because he had taken drugs in the past, he was panicking because he couldn't remember what lies he'd told previously about his drug taking. If he'd just been honest and owned it would have been much much better, instead he just comes across panic-y and skeezy.
He should have just claimed that he did all the drugs on that one day a few years back when they were all legal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skull Servant posted:

Irish people are, without a doubt, racist. All you have to do is look at how popular Casey was in the Presidential campaign after his comments on the Traveller community.
Attacks on the Traveller community aren't even seen as racism in a lot of Europe. Like even the most anti-racist (against the most racialized targets, like African people) people in Ireland or France or Britain will often be racist about Travellers or Roma or whoever forms an assumed nomadic community in that area.

I'd compare it to anti-indigenous racism in Canada/Australia/Latin America in terms of the "but I'm not being racist, I'm just saying things that are true" statements that you get from even supposedly intellectual people.

Skull Servant posted:

On the flip side, however, I've also seen people laud over immigrants because of their work ethic. This is mostly said about Indian and Asian immigrants, but I have also heard it about black people specifically in the HSE, which I find a little odd considering the general racism around black people in the rest of Ireland.
There's a good article about how that's a symptom of the stunted way we talk about migration, mostly in Britain but also throughout modern Europe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think he might be a racist. :v:

I wasn't thinking him in specific, just that people will tolerate (or come out with) some hardline awful level poo poo about Travellers "not being fit to be part of society" and "should be rounded up and put in camps" and stuff that they'd never say or even think about another ethnic or faith group, and there does seem to be a mental divide between racism against, say, Africans or Asians and bigotry against Travellers among a lot of otherwise tolerant metropolitan types.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Green passports are better than blue or burgundy ones so this might be the one thing ever I agree with them on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My uncle used to get stopped every time he got off the ferry in NI. Apparently it was because he 'looked like someone on the list' but as they'd never tell him who he was supposedly hiding from being I think they were just being pricks. That was on a UK passport.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I would never use the N word, I say seconds after having said it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Have they considered building a giant crane on Manx to literally steal houses from English Express readers and deposit them as newbuilds in Meath?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is this a true independent or is it one of the wacky "we're not a party but a group of independents working together" things?
Change UK - The Independent Group with some hastily crossed out stationary.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So hyped for Elizabeth II to be the NazBol Queen of the United Vatican Republic of United Ireland.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

He appears to want an Irish monarchy which is the same as the British monarchy, but only applies to some people... And not, apparently, to the landmass, which should be all under control of the republic??

Like this is crackers on some extremely impressive levels.
Maybe he thinks a monarch is like the Pope and they have authority over some people who want them to have authority over them but nobody else.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

V. Illych L. posted:

on a somewhat related note, gerry adams definitely ordered some killings back in the day right
Fewer than any British PM, more than most people. Probably around the level of a highly suspicious newsagent or a highly benevolent pre-legalization racetrack bookmaker.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Today I am ashamed of my country, a vast number of whose voters have intentionally or unwittingly just endorsed a fascist party. This reminds many who know Sinn Fein as puppets of the IRA Army Council of Germany in 1932, when the Nazi party became the largest in parliament: Hitler became Chancellor in January 1933 and wasted no time in establishing his brutal dictatorship.
Literally "They won a lot of votes. You know who else won a lot of votes?"

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes we use STV, not FPTP, and it's good
You can have STV systems without redistribution of 2nd prefs from winners, just last place eliminated and recount. That doesn't make it FPTP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jonathan Bardon's A History of Ireland goes back to the end of the Ice Age then all the way to the 90s peace process, is that far enough back? :v:

Obviously in a pop history way through snippets, that's the only way to do that without hundreds of volumes, but if you want a general interest view of the island of Ireland then it's p. good.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
American multinationals only want their data transmitted across networks that can be hacked by the NSA.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Only when China does it, apparently.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Accusing them of proffering soup in exchange for voicing Nordie propaganda, or accepting same. :itisafaminereference:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A 70-90% solution of ethyl alcohol is very effective against coronavirus.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nah, there's quite a few antisemites who are pro-Israel, either because they're wingnut religious right who believe that Israel has to exist so that Armageddon can happen, or the more straightforward reason that it's a good place to send the Jews so that they don't have to live near them. Or they're just generally racist but hate Muslims slightly more than Jews.

e: ^^^ also these two posts

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jack Russell thrown at Garda Russell during 'Free State bastards' argument.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just stick a bunch of these into schools, what could go wrong.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Standing up for the most oppressed group in society, white male middle-class landlords.
https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1293663127809204233

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Leo really is a knobhead isn't he.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's okay, the UK just confirmed it's legal for the security services to break all laws, which has historically never caused any problems for Ireland.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

And amazingly, the legal crisis before this was the UK saying “sure we’ll just break international law.”

Be afraid for whatever comes next.
This is the main reason I care about Biden winning in the US, at least he's outright said there'll be consequences if the Dominic Cummings Brain Sphere thinks it'd be a great idea to put trigger happy dickheads on border posts to check trucks, or rob SF offices, or whatever else they're thinking of doing by saying "our guys can break all laws, foreign and domestic, without consequence."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's at least not going to gently caress with the House trade committees that have said no trade deal in the event of violating the GFA, rather than going for full :chaostrump:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Blut posted:

With the distribution of a vaccine years away at this stage
CoronaVac is set to have the phase 3 trial results made public on Monday.

That's at the least shown less side effects than the other vaccine trials, so I'm hoping it's shown to be effective.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There isn't going to be a magic corona is beaten moment, but there will hopefully be a shift towards it not being so deadly among the old and people exposed to large amounts like healthcare workers, because they can get vaccinated. Even if it has to be a yearly one because it loses effectiveness, it'll be more like how the various flus are handled in places that handle the various flus properly, with masks and washing your hands, than what's going on at the moment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kustomkarkommando posted:

Never miss an opportunity to blame themmuns
Reminded me of energy in this letter that was suggested as something I'd enjoy reading yesterday.

Sir, The "Good" Friday Agreement is actually very Bad, because it allows the shinners to pretend to be a legitimate political party and not the band of armed terrorists I know them to be in my heart.

They and they alone keep collapsing and impeding the functioning of civil society by not going along with what we want to do.

In times like these we need vocal and sensible politicians, such as Jim Allister.

Yours, etc,
Belfast (East)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Choose your moon
Isn't that the new Q thing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"I've heard it said that the regular Catholics worship Ba'al. But this lot, they don't even worship Ba'al properly."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Their repeated opposition to things like the Irish Language Act, despite some of the people most historically responsible for keeping the language alive in the North being notable Presbyterians like Jeremiah O'Quin, is good proof that it's not sectarianism, it's Anglo supremacy bullshit yet again.

Maybe if SF leaders just drank more of Poots' magic tea they'd not have the covid :jerkbag:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maash/mung beans are the pro-tier childhood window vegetation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Living with family to save up a deposit, if you're able to, rather than just giving the lion's share of your income to a predatory landlord at the earliest opportunity in life shows a lack of personal responsibility.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
These seem to work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPERpogSoP0

Less risk to them than escalating through a series of gadgets, less risk to you than allowing them to get in close, and less risk to bystanders/passers by than shooting at them from a distance, plus not much training needed for basic use, they have them in schools in parts of East Asia for use by staff.

Can't do much with a knife if you're being held beyond knife reach, unless they want to try throwing it and then they've disarmed themselves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's why you do it in pairs or groups. Limits the ability of an individual to be a twat with the pole too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In real life it usually goes a lot more chaotic than a demonstration scene, but that's the case for everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4z-gzkb6s4

But it's worked a number of times even in critical cases like school spree attacks, and has never ended up killing someone the other side of the street by accident, so that's another positive, and you can just leave them hooked to the walls because one person can't do that much damage with them.

People in a heated moment also usually don't think to do some martial arts poo poo like sidestep around the pole, they either charge it or try to grab/attack it or place themselves somewhere that officer/teacher/shopkeeper #2 can scoop them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Shoehead posted:

Remember when GW started painting weird sad canvasses and people just decided it was OK he warcrimed and lied to the UN and poo pooed privacy rights because there's a sad man in the bath in this watercolour
Terrible composition too. Worse than Hitler's.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

a turnip painted like the Union Jack.
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Quite a few Mandela/South Africa themed murals for similar reasons too, which reminds me...

Gaupo Guacho posted:

yeah idk why im making it out to be so hard to understand, all of the above makes sense to me. I think its just cause all of these events seem relatively recent, and that they took place in Europe. it was genuinely blood boiling and chilling to learn that someone like Lenny Murphy was openly commemorated by the UVF well into the late 90s. :(

I guess I've been down a troubles rabbit hole after the recent flareup
One of the most :psyduck: moments of this year for me was finding out that Wouter Basson is still practicing medicine at a clinic in South Africa. I'd got it in my head that he was either dead, went off to hide by a lake in Argentina, or at the very least turned to something more in his camp like selling meth to kids from a lovely caravan, not just wandering back into medicine like nothing happened.

Understandably people are quite upset that the man who spent a chunk of his medical career trying to engineer a virus to wipe out Black people is practicing anything other than hiding in shame down a mineshaft, but it's a good example of the kinds of atrocious people that sometimes get away with it because the alternative would be the collapse of peace/reconciliation processes that would risk anything up to and including civil war.