Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Paddy Power odds on politics is just this one lad in head office who's super into it. There's nothing more than "Gerry on the third floor's gut feeling" setting these numbers.

Guavanaut posted:

Literally "They won a lot of votes. You know who else won a lot of votes?"
She also trashed Ken Loach for The Wind That Shakes The Barley for a Daily Mail article back when it came out, and later admitted that she hadn't seen the film yet. She then stated that she was never going to and yet people still take her seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

kustomkarkommando posted:

Two new bank holidays you mean, finally you too can experience the 12th
I'm not a Catholic but I'll celebrate the time the Pope's favourite dude for the UK throne won a fight in Meath if it gets me a day off.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Last I saw three two constituencies still had at least two seats each up for grabs. Is there a more up to date dataset than the Examiner's?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
By "everyone" do you jean the media types who have been losing their poo poo over a Sinn Féin win all election or the parties themselves?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Question IRL posted:

People in this thread have been saying it.
I legit thought what you quoted there was a joke when I read it the first time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Capital Dock being over 50% empty but still raking in more than the market average per unit is a sign of the problem TBH. We're going to start seeing the vulture funds realise that they're holding onto money pits that aren't making it back and just loving off at some point, after they've tried to rent seek themselves into positive equity in the short term rather than aiming for long term stable leases.

Blut posted:

Re: housing market,

:words:

Basically - things are still terrible, but all indications show they are finally starting to turn around.
Alright, when you put it like that, and seeing "Citywest village" have new foundations laid in the mud beside the Luas stop, I see where you're coming from.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Skull Servant posted:

Howlin did nothing
He was the minister in charge of Irish Water. That he hung on at all is mind boggling.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Skull Servant posted:

I meant as leader while they were in opposition, but I agree completely. The only way Labour can come back is by bringing someone in without the stink of austerity and the coalition.
That he was made leader after that portfolio told a lot of people that Labour learned absolutely nothing from their trashing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blut posted:

Labour's track record of being the only major left-wing party in the history of the state to enter government, successfully dragging Irish policy to the left for a century?
Sorry... what?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No, the bit I'm struggling with is where you think Irish policy has been dragged to the left at all.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I mean they literally legalised slavery as per Irish, EU, and UN definitions of it while Joan Burton was Minister for Social Protection so I'd hate to see the dystopian hellscape you think would have happened if they didn't go into government for 2011...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blut posted:

Do you think an FG only government in 2011 would have been more left-wing?
I think it would have been exactly as left wing as we got.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Question IRL posted:

As crappy as the Marriage Equality Referendum may have been for the LGBTQ community, it had to be done through the ballot box. The Constitution of Ireland had to be changed and it can only be changed by Referendum.
If Labour had tried just introducing some legislation for it, it would never have passed.
And even if it did pass, some Loony would have taken a Constitutional challenge against the legislation, and the Supreme Court would have almost assuredly ruled against it.
I don't think it did have to be changed, there was no definition of what marriage actually was prior to the referendum. We just iron-clad the right in there now pending another referendum.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Jobs Bridge has made me loath FG/ Labour for life.

Labour should not survive after such blatent libertarian bullshit as Jobsbridge happened.
Worse than that entirely was the Tús programme, where you get a letter instructing you to turn up for an interview and then gently caress off to a churchyard, GAA club, or community center to work 20 hours a week for them for an extra €20 in your dole. Or else.

Multiple reports of places having 2+ Tús "placements" at once, and just not bothering to hire people at all.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Leo and MarRef is particularly sickening given his prior stance on the issue.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've been told by various organisers of the push for MarRef that when he was asked about it at various events he laughed and told them it'd never happen. Also when he became a Minister Matt stopped playing Magic the Gathering in Gamer's World on Jervis street, apparently "just in case".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Different game, but presumably knowing how much his boyfriend spends on a card game would put his financial credentials in question for the inevitable bid for Taoiseach which then ended up being successful.

Now Pascal O'Donohoe, he was one for the toy soldiers. Even canvassed the shop when it was on Dorset street.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's not, but I kind of wish it was.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Marenghi posted:

Not to doxx myself but I work in the telecoms industry and we had an interesting meeting with two Americans recently. Trying to convince us Huawei equipment for 5g is a very bad idea. Not only will it open our networks to Chinese state hackers, but American multinationals won’t want their data transmitted across insecure Chinese infrastructure. Was almost a threat that going with Huawei could lead to the pull out of American multinationals like Apple etc.

I expect our government will ban Huawei from certain sectors in the near future.
That's gotta have been a fun meeting. I'd have struggled to avoid asking them to define "insecure".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Failed Imagineer posted:

I wouldn't rule out Dobby having a series of shell companies that somehow give him a stake in a Chinese state-run telcom

Deccie Ganley wil pitch a fit since that's what Rivada are into.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Failed Imagineer posted:

Haven't thought about that dickhead egg in some time
Every now and then I remember he hasn't blocked me on Twitter yet and I make an attempt to remedy that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a perceived difference between running a facebook group that people post in, and running a twitter account that draws from that. It's not settled law yet, but there is some degree of liability in both cases.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It removes all wiggle room at the very least.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Weirdly reflects well on her that she didn't trot out their actual school as a futile attempt to disarm that criticism.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Azza Bamboo posted:

I think politicians are cottoning on that refuting outrageous claims only draws attention to the claim.
The smarter ones at least.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I knew a German girl in college who apparently attended some random boarding school for just Germans hidden up in the Wicklow mountains. She may have been lying, but I like to think we've got a Little Bavaria hidden up there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shoehead posted:

St. Kilian's?
https://www.kilians.com/

For a large chunk of my life I've had to correct people who assume I went to a German\English speaking school when in fact I went to a much, much dodgier Community School in Bray that just happens to have the same name.
Don't ruin my fun.

Skull Servant posted:

Yeah. Gript is McGuirk's catholic conservative media site. Wouldn't rate anything on there in the slightest. Look at the choice of image used for the article. Just so happens to be related to the Repeal movement. I'm sure that was chosen completely at random!
It actually belongs to Snackbox Tim, the man who took lunch breaks while on hunger strike. McGuirk is most famous for getting booted out of Young Fine Gael and Ógra Fianna Fáil at the same time for pulling the same old "anonymous concernd member" bullshit emails that he tries to this day. Except... both parties noticed he was a member of the other.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I wish I could find the video where he's on Vincent Browne and gives someone poo poo for being sexist, says "I would never talk about someone like this", gets interrupted by Vincent who quotes him saying literally that about a woman in his own party, and then has to backtrack furiously.

And let us not forget his "nurse" Noel Pattern, who had photoshopped a City and Guilds fire safety cert as his "credentials", or the time he claimed to have a "loyal mole" in the Repeal campaign HQ, who fed him... the pamphlets being handed out at the GPO.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's also worth noting that China hasn't been entirely honest about all this, and it's not impossible that they will be dishonest again.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Schools closed. Mass gatherings recommended to be cancelled. Go to work if you can but work from home if possible. Reduce/stagger break times. Shops/public transport to remain open/working. Restaurants/cafes can stay open but need to consider ways to reduce risks etc.
Have we got a source for this? Work are being shits.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TY. This finally convinced them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:aaaaa:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You love to see it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I ran into him a few times on Dollymount strand back when I was young enough to go there with my parents regularly. He was always incredibly nice.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Question IRL posted:

And while I am sure all Anti-Semite are Anti-Israel.
This is not a safe thing to assume. Many of the USA's rabidly pro-Israel types only want the country to exist because they believe it needs to so as to fulfill biblical prophesy and they can be all "HAHA FUKKAN TOLD YIS" to the Jewish people when Jesus comes back and smites them all.

ETA: :hf: simultaneous posting.
VVVV

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One of my co-workers is getting very antsy about his "fundamental rights being violated" by being asked to stay home. Which is... yeah.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're prone to conspiracy theories so TBH I don't think they do understand that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
How can you not know who John Waters is? Dude is constantly poo poo in public.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was sitting in the Grand Social with an internet friend who had just moved to Dublin a couple of years back and said friend goes "uh... did a homeless person just walk in and start staring at everyone?"
So I look over my shoulder and see who it is and say "no, that's this lad here" and tap the event guide on the table.

John Waters in for a reading of his poetry... just glaring angrily around the bar at people :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This was before the marriage referendum and all, so he just had Pantigate under his belt as a stupid thing he was involved in that made everyone hate him at that point.