Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

what's the mcguffen in this lovely show

“how much can we piss on the ideas of star trek while including enough fan service to trick the rubes”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

She is his daughter, after a fashion

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in the latest episode the writers litterrally tell the audience they don't like or understand science fiction as a genre.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

so the irregularity in picards parietal lobe is gonna be a piece of data in his head, right

and thats why the title sequence has tiny chunks of things flying into patrick stewart

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

can picard carry datas katra because he was a borg once

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

god this show has a long rear end intro

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

so trek is now dune and also blade runner. oof this dialog is rough

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

who is this old guy? is he somebody?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

oh but seriously I posted:

who is this old guy? is he somebody?

patrick stewart

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Squizzle posted:

patrick stewart

lol

yo that scene with the admiral was some good poo poo. red shirt gal is going to get ganked

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

p stu doesn't like sci fi. he is totally putting the moves on this much younger woman

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

deborgification

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i am getting strong disco spock vibes from this romulan gently caress boi

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

admirals are always fucks

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

romulans are the dirt worst

oof this dialog is rough

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i like that picard is basically a victorian or pulp gentleman-adventurer, having an array of friends from his life lived interestingly, up and down all social classes

like ofc his irish romulan household aid lady is also a crack detective. and ofc his first 2 choices for getting passage on a ship are (1) ring up an admiral at the space navy and ask for some pinnace they can spare and second, some sorta crime-doër who can get him onto a pirate ship

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

that's it? i suppose writing an actual ending is a hopelessly pre-streaming mentality

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

yeah this one stops really abruptly. i think they tried for a big reveal moment at the end to cap it off, but it was just that the romulan guy we already didnt trust, should not be trusted, and is related to the lady we were just introduced to when she received all that terrible exposition about the nefarious romulan black ops cult from commodoro

super poorly paced and set up, as endings go, but i am enjoying the series so far

loved that the admiral was a tng-style rear end in a top hat admiral

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Squizzle posted:

loved that the admiral was a tng-style rear end in a top hat admiral

admirals are always fucks

:hai:

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
so is this the final nail in the coffin of roddenberry's vision or what

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

El Generico posted:

so is this the final nail in the coffin of roddenberry's vision or what

one mild sex scene and picard macked on an inappropriately young lady. barely horny at all, so yes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the rights are or maybe were a total mess. iirc viacom owns everything again when it bought CBS a couple of months ago so maybe after this flops the new CEOs will back dumptrucks of money up to ronald d moore and ira behr

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

dukat essentially is gene if you think on it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
P sure the joke is Picard doesn't get sci fi because for him it's just fi

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol i wonder if them doing the forensics poo poo in the dead android's apartment was a sop to CBS's audience being heavily weighted towards brainwormed boomers who love NCSI and CSI and other such bullshit

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the rights are or maybe were a total mess. iirc viacom owns everything again when it bought CBS a couple of months ago so maybe after this flops the new CEOs will back dumptrucks of money up to ronald d moore and ira behr

ron moore's an overrated hack

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If it was pretend actual forensics poo poo maybe I coulda almost cared but it was pretend pretend forensics poo poo like hot drat

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

ron moore's an overrated hack

still better than the horseshit they're making now

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i mean, on the one hand, disco did spend a third of the first season loving around with mirror universe bullshit

on the other hand, "nuhhhh i don't wanna lose mary mcdonnell, let's temporarily cure her cancer with magical half-cylon baby blood"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I tried rewatching BSG and just could not get through it. on second viewing i hated all the characters and i knew how stupid the plot was so there was nothing to keep me invested.

ds9 i rewatch all the time cause it rules. CBS, stop wasting money on bad trek and spend it on ds9 remasters

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

moore can be brought back just limit him to writing a couple of episodes instead of being a producer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think hes probably fine as long as you have a strong editor/show runner to put him in his place.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I promise that I'm going to finish watching episode two of this. I am going to do it. Nothing will stop me.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i don't think anyone will hold you to that promise as it borders on self-harm

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So is this a good first Star Trek series to watch?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maybe its better if you don't have any attachment to the franchise, but i doubt it

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Some questions I think you'd have 10 minutes into episode 1 of star trek picard.

1) Who is Data and where did he go.

2) What is a Romulan.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hahaha that scene where the Romulan lady creates crime scene footage from litterrally nothing

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

reignofevil posted:

Some questions I think you'd have 10 minutes into episode 1 of star trek picard.

1) Who is Data and where did he go.

2) What is a Romulan.

neither of these questions will end up mattering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

reignofevil posted:

2) What is a Romulan.

The bald sweaty guys from Star Trek 09?