Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the romulans and the borg were the major recurring antagonist-peoples on tng, and voyager shares the borg w tng so reeeeaaaally the only major tng-in-particular space enemy people are the romulans

so ofc theyre gonna be part of picard

its super rad that there is a sorta peace w them now, and it didnt happen because picard swung in at the head of a fleet of space heroes and blasted them into submission

he came and tirelessly worked to save them and to help them and now to protect and defend them against injustice, and that is how the long conflict against the romulan empire was ended

that and a supernova

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i wonder if michael chabon will have anything interesting to say about a stateless diaspora of people mistrusted based on rumor and stereotype :thunk::thunk::thunk:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Small Gay Planet posted:

I don't like how Daystrom is spelled Daystrom instead of Daestrum. Daestrum is much more sciencey and respectable looking on paper

the institute dates back to tng, but the name is a legacy of original recipe trek and so the spelling was a choice made back in the 1960s!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-FNPRfkOg8

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So far it's managed not to be poo poo, which is amazing for a Star Trek pilot

the pacing was bad. but the content.....it was good

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

there are 754 eps, 10 short treks, and 13 movies of trek released before picard. im ok if the 10 eps of picard focus a bit more on the federation itself after all of that

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

so the irregularity in picards parietal lobe is gonna be a piece of data in his head, right

and thats why the title sequence has tiny chunks of things flying into patrick stewart

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

can picard carry datas katra because he was a borg once

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

oh but seriously I posted:

who is this old guy? is he somebody?

patrick stewart

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i like that picard is basically a victorian or pulp gentleman-adventurer, having an array of friends from his life lived interestingly, up and down all social classes

like ofc his irish romulan household aid lady is also a crack detective. and ofc his first 2 choices for getting passage on a ship are (1) ring up an admiral at the space navy and ask for some pinnace they can spare and second, some sorta crime-doër who can get him onto a pirate ship

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

yeah this one stops really abruptly. i think they tried for a big reveal moment at the end to cap it off, but it was just that the romulan guy we already didnt trust, should not be trusted, and is related to the lady we were just introduced to when she received all that terrible exposition about the nefarious romulan black ops cult from commodoro

super poorly paced and set up, as endings go, but i am enjoying the series so far

loved that the admiral was a tng-style rear end in a top hat admiral

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

postin this berman video again because everyone should understand how fuckin horrible berman is as a human being and a showbiz idea haver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeSz2gW8IsE

at least his career seems to be done for, after enterprise

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i missed talky space opera so badly

i also was super duper happy about the shot of the space ship warping out in a shot that evoked the closing poo poo of the tng opening theme sequence, w the tng music playing over it

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

pacing is still an issue and that ship looks nothing like a trek ship. it looks like it was designed for being practical and cool instead of as a weird piece of art deco jewelry, like a federation ship should

but i liked that the frame of the show seems to be that society has failed its ideals and has fallen from kindness and consideration into baser impulses—but a buncha folks who embody the ideals as they should be, almost all of whom were actually in starfleet, are gonna fight for their principles

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

also its the most picard thing possible that he went from being like, well, the romulans are my strategic rivals and political foes and i might have to start a war w them if the situation demands it—to, wait, someone is oppressing the romulans?? THE ROMULANS ARE ENDURING INJUSTICE??? and immediately became the fiercest angriest advocate for romulan peoples

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

also like that instead of making the federation totally bullshit, it fulfilled the current scifi demand of having secretive people doing bad poo poo demanding action scenes, by having the romulans supplying a conspiracy. it makes the federation merely fall short instead of straight up betraying trek fundamentals

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The actual subtext of The Outrageous Okona doing action movie medicine is trying to look cool in front of dad who just points out how everything in his room is sorted alphabetically

it was nice that justice league picard had the discretion to not ask why his emh was himself but vaguely irish

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

on screen

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i went into this ep thinking—based on the previews last week—thar it would be bad robot/kurtzman era trek “how about swords and personal combat??” trash and i still liked it. during the borg floorskating bit i said aloud “michael chabon cannot imagine a group w a coherent identity that does not have rituals”. the romulan nuns were good and the wuxia fight was mediocre but such is life

loved that they used the existing chateau set to save money but in so doing patched in a technological explanation that ultimately spoke to characters—trek af. thought that chabon gave the doc too many literary verbal tics that would work on a page but not onscreen. still liked that we got a chabon/frakes joint

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

still fuckin hate the ship tho

looks like it came from a video game not from star trek

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the sound design for space bullshit was waaaaay better than you usually find in trek

the bwaang as that poo poo bounced off the planet shields was satisfying

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

this ep lacked the pacing problems of the first 3 imo. it had a solid beginning, middle, and end. and it went to a planet, had an adventure, and left—the wagon train to the stars standard. the sooner that beardy romulan gently caress-spy gets ejected from the show, the better tho. deeply unlikeäble

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The spy guy and his weirdly incestuous sister (is that a thing with Romulans? idk) have basically had exactly the same conversation for the past three episodes, its like they're doing a reminder bit on an old RKO serial but not actually advancing their plot at all

SO what have you found while seducing the robot girl?
Some, but not all information.
Well find out more soon or I will torture her

aaand repeat.

the absolute worst aspect of the show so far is that guy

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i dislike him, and not in a “good villain that you love to hate” way. he and his plot (such as it is) make the show less enjoyable

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i figure the caper ep where they maybe find maddox is next, and hope that the ep after that is 45 min of picard and maddox talking about philosophy and ethics and society in a room lit for dramatic chiaroscuro effect

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

bruce’s interactive intelligent memoir, mad.docx

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

rios is so deep in denial at being a riker that he resents how badly he needs a crew and poo poo talks all of his holograms :3:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

im gonna watch the new picard later tonite. further bulletins as events warrant

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

why is she named vajazzle

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

(tue deceoratioon of the mons pubis w rhinestone)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

that was the least good ep thus far. i love a good caper, but this was almost relentlessly grim from beginning (icheb wtf) to end (agnes wtf) and lacked the core of hope and morality that has made the series work so far

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the show about the communist paradise suddenly flipping to trump mode never had that

the show always says that was wrong and the characters are trying to fix it

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

im disappointed that they, at no pt in the ep, tricked a computer into making itself tiny so that they could swindle the klute in a lethal round of speed chess

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

jfc that ep ruled

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

rios and the romulan spy gently caress are good-beardriker and bad-beardriker

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

looking forward to picards sweetheart sons teaming up to oppose the romulans and/or borg

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

gosh dang, like every character in this has lost a child somehow. dahj died in front of picard, the rikers lost a kid, raffi is estranged from her son, seven had to kill icheb

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

also im sad that hugh has entered the great hughnknown

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle posted:

gosh dang, like every character in this has lost a child somehow. dahj died in front of picard, the rikers lost a kid, raffi is estranged from her son, seven had to kill icheb

i guess things are dangerous out there, for.....THE NEXT GENERATION!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dash Rendar posted:

i haven't watched any of Picard, but i wanna hang out in the thread with you guys

draw a picture of a romulan cooking scrambled eggs and you will be allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

magnificent

greetings!!