Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

late to the bird party but want to post one of my favorite birdos, teh northern hawk owl

love these guys faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

herons are such graceful murderers

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

can we just start calling birds avian dinosaurs, i feel like more people would be into birds

e:
another favorite of mine is the common nighthawk. they have really excellent camouflage (as do all nightjars) and are also super agile fliers with very graceful wings. sometimes at night youll see these guys swooping around streetlights catching bugs on the wing in their huge maw

ddue to their behavior these guys are also colloquially known as bullbats which is a pretty sweet name, as if 'nighthawk' wasnt cool enough

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 27, 2020

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

naem posted:

I drew a bird do you want to see y/n

if its anywhere near as good as your mink drawing you better post up that loving bird posthaste

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

v nice bird here

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

do da dip

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

im putting a jynx on this thread

tee hee

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Enfys posted:

Flightless cormorant bringing his lady a present

cormorants have such pretty eyes

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

oooo i love him

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

those greylags just hangin out like "cmon hawk i fuckin DARE u"

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

yea that's super awesome. I'm guessing it serves to attract birds for pollination? seems like it wouldn't be super effective unless it mimicked a particular species

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfUs1ZlOVys

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

warning: dino battle

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Winklebottom posted:

Violet backed starling

blue eared starling

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

I did not take this, but on a walk at a nature preserve this weekend I saw this bird for the first time and it was beautiful.

Tree Swallow

Also Blue Jays are lucky they are as beautifully colored as they are because they are one of the most obnoxious sounding birds, they are awful.

tree swallows are incredible aerial predators, i work near a river and around dusk its awesome watching them swoop around and under the docks hawking insects on the wing

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they are so weird and I love it they don't have feather on their head because they eat carrion

bearded vultures have feathers on their head, and are probably the coolest looking vulture. Also they eat bones!

also, interesting vulture factoid: old world vultures and new world vultures are not closely related, i.e. turkey vultures are more closely related to hawks than they are to european/african vultures, despite their appearance. Theyre one of the best examples of convergent evolution in nature!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

I loved these birds when I was a kid, I always knew them as the "lammergeier" though which I thought was an awesome name. They drop bones onto rocks to eat the delicious goo inside

Yea lammergeier is their German common name but also pretty widely used in English. Their archaic, latin name which they were known by in ancient times was Ossifrage which literally translates to "Bone Breaker" :black101:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

murderduck

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lmao

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

this is pretty clearly the Doubtful Guest, who is actually cool af and gives no shits

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

STOP MAKING FAKE BIRD NAMES

Australia has the intermediate egret. Would you like to guess how big it is? It's bigger than the lesser egret, but, not so large as the great egret.
I don't know which committee named that one, but it's not their best work.

LOL

Here in the US Merlins used to be commonly known as Pigeon Hawks, not because they hunt pigeons, but because they vaguely resemble them in flight

Also our robins are actually thrushes and colonists just named them that because of their red breasts

Great jobs all around

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Akratic Method posted:

Just a phone picture, but here is a turkey vulture that I accidentally stumbled upon while clambering over some rocks today.

I like their little naked vulture faces.

This is actually a black vulture! Depending on where you are in the states they may be pretty recent migrants to your area; here in the northeast they've only started showing up in numbers in the last 10 or 20 years, expanding their range from the south. We actually had no native vultures up here until the 1950s when turkey vultures started expanding north along the newly built interstate system, which was basically like a little bread crumb trail of carrion for a bird like the turkey vulture.

Unlike turkey vultures black vultures don't have a great sense of smell, but they do have good eyesight so they follow their bigger cousins to carrion.

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 17, 2023

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lol yea because of that they aren't banded by biologists, lest the poo poo gets caked up in the leg band and causes an infection

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Maybe but this guy was pretty fuckin red, I'll keep an eye out to describe it better. Dunno the tail color

Def was like "aw yess, gonna bite this leaf -- oh poo poo a dude several yards away, fly away!"

I'd guess it was a scarlet tanager, they fit your "pretty fuckin red" with grey wing description

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

e: sorry, thought this was the theropod thread

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Steamer ducks are absolutely brutal bastards

Sometime they do good tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnQ_oS7IT5M

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 5, 2023

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Where're you? That ravens a sleek lil guy, also maybe it's just the catch light shining through his eye but I've never seen one with bright eyes like that

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Ah, cool! Apart from the eyes they don't look too much different than the common ravens we have here in the states

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Cythereal posted:

American Bittern

Sorry all I see is some reeds

nice try little guy, keep at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Honestly the tree was probably already hosed if it had that many grubs in it