Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Johnny Aztec posted:

Moss is awesome.

Can't wait for "Lawn culture" to die out. So much time/energy/money wasted on it.
For a bit Michigan had basically banned grass seed/etc sales as non-essential and the boomer outrage was enormous. God forbid your lawn look slightly suboptimal for a while.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, First I wouldn’t live beside anyone , because I am weird, but I would convert any lawn into a forest, mixed in with bushes for birds to nest.

Fuuuucckkk lawns
If I ever somehow own a home, I'm going to use up as much yard space as possible on bushes, flower/vegetable gardens, and decorative pathing. gently caress lawns, they're the most boring thing you could surround your house with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm literally going through this right now. My next door neighbor is working from home and has gone insane - he's doing something to his lawn every single day and has his three kids also helping out. Between the 4 of them they're seriously putting in 40+ hours a week on the lawn every single week. Putting down seed, mowing, trimming, spraying, putting down fertilizers. I don't know how you can spend that much time and constantly be doing something but he finds a way.

I just mow that poo poo roughly once a week when it's really growing, run a weed whacker, and call it a day. If I could replace the whole thing with clover or something I'd be in heaven.

Get your rear end some centipede grass.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Get off my lawn and take it with you.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Ground ivy and wild violets also make really nice ground cover!
Although google suggests ground ivy can be invasive so I guess you shouldn't introduce it if it's not there already.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 15, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Crabgrass was good enough for Enrico Fermi and it’s good enough for me

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
The grass is for my dogs, not me. They love to roll around in the soft grass I planted.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm literally going through this right now. My next door neighbor is working from home and has gone insane - he's doing something to his lawn every single day and has his three kids also helping out. Between the 4 of them they're seriously putting in 40+ hours a week on the lawn every single week. Putting down seed, mowing, trimming, spraying, putting down fertilizers. I don't know how you can spend that much time and constantly be doing something but he finds a way.

I just mow that poo poo roughly once a week when it's really growing, run a weed whacker, and call it a day. If I could replace the whole thing with clover or something I'd be in heaven.

My yard is clover, wild strawberry, dandelion, and a smattering of whatever grass has blown in. Makes great food for our bearded dragon and we only have to mow a few months a year.

<<<Also a big assed scarred up mulberry tree.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

please be on the lookout for hooligans using golf carts irresponsibly

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

you broke my grill posted:

please be on the lookout for hooligans using golf carts irresponsibly

Someone needs to show those kids how to remove the limiter. :getin:

Here's a fun exchange.

Update! Apparently Brandon originally posted this with the woman's name and address. But that wasn't his INTENTION.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 17, 2020

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1262132140990332929?s=19

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The sickos in my area are still incredibly angry over graffiti on the closed grocery store.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's the point of owning a house if all you do is worry about your property value all day and all night??

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Lol the kids know what it means. They just want their parents to squirm.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What's the point of owning a house if all you do is worry about your property value all day and all night??

:smug: “the joys of property ownership, eh?”

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Little bit of capitalism high score validating your obviously expert choices of choosing where to live, little bit of the 4 wheelers are against the home equity because the credit cards are maxed out if the ethnics start spraypainting the walls and Kevin stops mowing his lawn they're gonna repo them when we end up undewater!

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

YOU. HAVE. BEEN. INFORMED!

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

You found the penultimate boomer post, would be 10/10 if there was an inference that this was Obama's fault.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Need help identifying some birds:

Have seen a lot of birds lately, need to know if any are poisonous or deadly.

1) Mostly red, but with some black, too. Pretty small. Sits in my birdbath a lot.

2) All brown, chirps a lot, smaller than that first one but not by much.

3) Big orange one, very big in fact, doesn't chirp but will fly away if you get too close.

4) Small black bird, usually accompanied by another black bird (siblings?)

5) Blue bird but it's not A "Bluebird" like the song. Has some light blue in it too, he's bigger than the black bird but not as a bird but smaller than the red one.

THANKS!!!

UPDATE: I believe the 3rd bird may actually be a coyote of some sort.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My local group is pretty ridiculous lately. Every single post is about our recent flooding. Recently we had a lot of rain and our town as well as every other in the area had a pretty bad amount of flooding and standing water. Every single one of the posts was blaming the city and taxes.

The posts were kinda like this:

Ugh, why do I even pay taxes if this is going to happen? *Picture of backyard with giant puddle in it*

So glad the city forced me to pay to fix my sidewalk! *Picture of water in basement*

Found a good picture of our newest housing development. *Literally just a picture of the lake*

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

Need help identifying some birds:

Have seen a lot of birds lately, need to know if any are poisonous or deadly.

1) Mostly red, but with some black, too. Pretty small. Sits in my birdbath a lot.

2) All brown, chirps a lot, smaller than that first one but not by much.

3) Big orange one, very big in fact, doesn't chirp but will fly away if you get too close.

4) Small black bird, usually accompanied by another black bird (siblings?)

5) Blue bird but it's not A "Bluebird" like the song. Has some light blue in it too, he's bigger than the black bird but not as a bird but smaller than the red one.

THANKS!!!

UPDATE: I believe the 3rd bird may actually be a coyote of some sort.

Hi! I just put in a feeder and bought "EAST COAST FIELD GUIDE FOR BIRDS" at Sam's Club any ways, 1 Cardinal, 2 Finch, 3 NOT A COYOTE, 4 SPROW, 5 BLUE BIRD.

YOURE WELCOME

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The sickos in my area are still incredibly angry over graffiti on the closed grocery store.

Person 1
Hair: idiot’s
Other:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Oh my god. That's so terrible. :laugh:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Some dipshit posted:

Sign petition to recall Governor JB Pritzker
I live in BLAH BLAH BLAH. Last week a grass roots group was formed to begin the process of recalling Governor Pritzker for his actions and policies that are hurting Illinois. There are now 2500 volunteers across the state collecting 750,000 signatures to put the recall vote on the ballot this November. I have volunteered and am going to be collecting signatures locally to add to the list. If you would like to volunteer or simply sign the petition to make your voice heard, please reply here so I can coordinate getting the petition to you for a signature. Let's take charge, and let our voices be heard before it's too late.

Most of the responses are along the lines of, "he's just trying to save lives," but some of the responses... :yikes:

Literal mentally ill person posted:

WWG1WGA, the Plandemic is NOT about protection, its about Control. Illinois is crashing our economy. Illinois murders full term babies...yet they want to protect us...from what ?
In my opinion this is about GREED, POWER AND CONTROL.
Freedom is never Free...
Count me in.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

LabyaMynora posted:

Most of the responses are along the lines of, "he's just trying to save lives," but some of the responses... :yikes:

Rush Limbaugh has been pushing the narrative that " You are only seeing these big Covid numbers and Covid deaths in Blue states, not Red states"
and " The Blue states are intentionally crashing their economy with this lockdown, so they can be bailed out by the Federal Government."

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Blood left from beating last night on my sidewalk
Last night I was awakened at 12:05 AM to the sound of someone being hit repeatedly on the street in front of my house. It sounded as if someone was being hit with a board or flat object. Big smacks and moans. I got up to see a dark car speed away westward. This morning I found a fair amount of blood and drag marks on my carriage walk to the street. I called the police and they came by but there is nothing they can do now. We need to clean our streets, sidewalks and boulevards of trash that has been appearing recently. Together we can solve these issues.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
A coyote ripped a rabbit apart in the alley behind our house last night, it sounded like a something from a horror movie. I immediately thought of this thread.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

sticksy posted:

A coyote ripped a rabbit apart in the alley behind our house last night, it sounded like a something from a horror movie. I immediately thought of this thread.

some lady found parts of a rabbit, probably killed by a coyote, in her yard and was afraid that it was left there as some sort of mob message or gang intimidation because those are the more likely reasons a mangled rabbit carcass would be in your yard clearly.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Blackchamber posted:

some lady found parts of a rabbit, probably killed by a coyote, in her yard and was afraid that it was left there as some sort of mob message or gang intimidation because those are the more likely reasons a mangled rabbit carcass would be in your yard clearly.

A woman on my neighborhood Nextdoor freaked out because she found a headless rabbit in her front yard and was absolutely convinced that a person did it and left it there for her specifically as a threat. About a dozen or so replies telling her it was probably a cat (pretty much anything but a cat would've eaten the body and left the head) would not dissuade her from the idea that someone was out to get her.

Must be exciting thinking someone cares that much about you.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Put a popsicle stick pentagram in her yard and wait for the next post

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

quote:

Computer Geek

Could someone recommend a reliable computer geek who makes house calls.

quote:

Dr. Steve (PC doctor, not MD) in <redacted>

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

what's the deal with coyotes

eta: wow i never realized how much dangerous wildlife was in my neighborhood

you broke my grill fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 26, 2020

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Apparently we have a gang of wild turkeys in my neighborhood!

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

The Grey posted:

Blood left from beating last night on my sidewalk
Last night I was awakened at 12:05 AM to the sound of someone being hit repeatedly on the street in front of my house. It sounded as if someone was being hit with a board or flat object. Big smacks and moans. I got up to see a dark car speed away westward. This morning I found a fair amount of blood and drag marks on my carriage walk to the street. I called the police and they came by but there is nothing they can do now. We need to clean our streets, sidewalks and boulevards of trash that has been appearing recently. Together we can solve these issues.

Maybe the beating was delivered by vigilantes and they're actually on your side!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Must be one hell of a time living in meth country.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
Found in my Nextdoor feed a few weeks ago.

Eventually got removed, but keeping it classy around here.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

It says a lot about the users of Nextdoor that when signing up for an account you can verify your identity with a postcard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My dad has a weird guy that lives behind him that goes out at least 3 times a week and cuts his grass around 11pm using a handheld flashlight to light the way. I bet he posts on next door