Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

a car stopped on the street and then drove a way later what does this mean

The answer depends entire upon the ethnicity of the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
"Is this anyone's dead cat?"
*Posts pictures of cat hit by car for everyone to see*

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

a car stopped on the street and then drove a way later what does this mean

Drugs. It means drugs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

GigaPeon posted:

"Is this anyone's dead cat?"
*Posts pictures of cat hit by car for everyone to see*

tbf that's not unreasonable per se if someone is wondering what happened to their cat, at least it might help someone find closure. idk if it has spoiler tags or can just link to it unembedded though. at least compared to flood of racist dogwhistle paranoid baby bomber nonsense that makes up 2/3rds of nextdoor. the other 1/3rd is people asking for babysitter/plumber/CHEAP(!) contractor recommendations

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I wish I had the screenshot, but I moved neighborhoods in nextdoor, so I can't see my old posts.

We had a particularly irate man complaining about how he feels unsafe in his neighborhood because he saw an african american gentleman receiving fellatio in his car on the street. It's a dangerous world people, stay safe, stay armed :shrug:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
"Yesterday I found 2 teens in my empty rental property. I had to unholster my pistol and keep them down on the ground until the police arrived. This is why we have the 2nd amendment, folks."

...actual local Nextdoor post.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

from a place several miles north of me lol

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

The Dregs posted:

"If you are giving away or rehoming your pet please read
This is not a soapbox post just a warning to folks out there getting rid of their pets for whatever reason. You might think that your dog or cat is going to a good home but many times they are sold for bait in dog fighting or could be used for horrific animal testing. I just received this picture and wanted to warn everyone who is getting rid of a dog or cat."

This actually happens in my neighborhood, especially with cats :(

e: for dog fighting, not for animal testing. Some 19 year old just got like 6 years in prison for it.

Renegret posted:

For some reason, people around here never lock their cars even though it's a real poo poo neighborhood. And every day on Ring there's people complaining that someone went into their unlocked car during the night and stole cash that was left laying out.

My favorite thing about this is that unless your car is from 1996 or earlier, I have no idea how to leave it unlocked even if you wanted to. Like every piece of poo poo car I've had that was made after 1994 would lock its doors automatically after a minute or two, to the point where if I wanted them to not lock I'd have no clue how to even do that.

frh fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 24, 2020

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Xaris posted:

from a place several miles north of me lol

If any of the 15 replies were anything but OK Boomer I’mma be very disappointed.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

also "i live in a city and have an outdoor cat i let my cat outside 3 weeks ago and am very surprised it is still gone has anyone seen my cat *insert vague description that could be any cat that has ever lived* x 1000

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Fried Watermelon posted:

MY neighbour receives a lot of MAIL should I be concerned about this?

he's got subscriptions to those magazines,
never waves when he goes by

what's he building in there?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
my local NextDoor currently has a thread full of people complaining about the police helicopter circling at night. Mind you, this is a neighborhood 2.5 miles from the airport and 3 miles from downtown in a heavily urban area.

People will complain about anything.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Not Nextdoor specifically but the town next to me has a dog park that has been there for at least 15 years. A lady has been trying for a few years to get it shut down because she purchased and moved into a house that was next to a dog park.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Xaris posted:

tbf that's not unreasonable per se if someone is wondering what happened to their cat, at least it might help someone find closure. idk if it has spoiler tags or can just link to it unembedded though. at least compared to flood of racist dogwhistle paranoid baby bomber nonsense that makes up 2/3rds of nextdoor. the other 1/3rd is people asking for babysitter/plumber/CHEAP(!) contractor recommendations

Yeah but why not go "Hey I saw a dead cat. If you're missing a cat, let me know and I'll send a picture".

I already live in an urban area, so nobody's spooked by a person of a type, so it's more like 99/100 Cheap Labor and 1% DEAD CAT

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
"I got this box that was addressed to someone else, should I call the police?"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

I kinda want to know what the end result of this one was.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This is more of a Ring doorbell alert but I get this one a lot:

Here's video of a man walking up to my door, looking confusingly at my house number, and walking away. Anyone know why someone might do this? Possibly casing my home?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

A Fancy Hat posted:

Sex trafficking scheme at Wal-Mart !!!WATCH OUT!!!!

I heard this from my sister over near Akron, but it's happened at many other places too. You will be walking back to your car and suddenly see a dog with a collar. When you get near the dog it will release a knockout gas!! Then sex traffickers come and take you away, this way they don't even need to follow you to your car!

Police are trying to stop it but they keep getting stopped by Sanctuary City laws!

WARN YOUR FRIENDS! Don't get near any dogs in parking lots!

I've seen so many variations on this its unreal, where an innocuous everyday thing is actually a portent of doom and you should live every day on edge!

If a car flashes at you dont flash back!! Its a gang initiation squad and they will follow you home kidnap you and harvest your organs!!! I didn't see it but my daughters friend did!!

A small piece of trash on your driveway means you have been marked by a cabal of blood warlocks and if you clear it away they will come into your home at night and take your blood!! PLEASE SHARE

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

It was probably the next door neighbor fishing for their keys

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Renegret posted:

For some reason, people around here never lock their cars even though it's a real poo poo neighborhood. And every day on Ring there's people complaining that someone went into their unlocked car during the night and stole cash that was left laying out.

Same. Plus NextDoor posts from the PD reminding everyone to lock their cars because preventing theft is really that simple. And every drat week it's followed by "30 thefts from vehicles were reported this weekend".

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

no end result yet really, just typical next door back and forth "call the cops!!" "no dont call the cops call your landlord" "wait til you hear them then pound on your own door to scare them away" "no dont call your landlord call the cops"

i did like that this one dude right away jumped to CO poisoning tho

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Disco Pope posted:

My adult son recently ran away and has not been seen for four hours after an argument regarding Nintendo Switch usage at his grandfather’s wake. He is a husky boy, last seen wearing a Minecraft t-shirt, grey Crocs and blue/grey ‘digital style’ combat pants.

He is very afraid and likely hungry. Could you please check any outhouses/garages in case he has gotten stuck? Thank you.

hot_yogaMOM posted:

We found your son in our garage jacking off to some old Cosmo magazines and eating my husband's lunch snacks. pls come get him.

1 day ago

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

From my local one:

Nov 3
Boom
Did anyone hear the 2 big boom/bangs last night?

Nov 4
I guess no one knows what it was

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Crime And Safety

URGENT! RED TEXT CAPITAL LETTERS! I SAW A DOG

Serious post, I seem to have been kicked off of Nextdoot and I’m bummed out about it. I’m not sure what I did but my account got deactivated and it won’t let me make a new one. No reason given. I don’t think I trolled too much but I used a very fake sounding name. The last post I made was imploring a gang of boomers to not call the loving cops over someone playing guitar badly during the day. :shrug:

Such an entertaining app, great for identifying the panicky cop callers in your area. The 4th of July fireworks chat is always hilarious. Someone made a post saying they saw some :siren:hummingbirds:siren: in their yard and if they are dangerous. Also, apparently someone was jacking off in a van like right across the street from my house one day. Stay safe!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
My outdoor cat is missing. Found some fur and what might be blood in the alley? Has anyone seen Mr. Mittenz? He's a really smart cat. Hope he's OK.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Ralph Hurley posted:

Crime And Safety

URGENT! RED TEXT CAPITAL LETTERS! I SAW A DOG

Serious post, I seem to have been kicked off of Nextdoot and I’m bummed out about it. I’m not sure what I did but my account got deactivated and it won’t let me make a new one. No reason given. I don’t think I trolled too much but I used a very fake sounding name. The last post I made was imploring a gang of boomers to not call the loving cops over someone playing guitar badly during the day. :shrug:

Such an entertaining app, great for identifying the panicky cop callers in your area. The 4th of July fireworks chat is always hilarious. Someone made a post saying they saw some :siren:hummingbirds:siren: in their yard and if they are dangerous. Also, apparently someone was jacking off in a van like right across the street from my house one day. Stay safe!

Hummingbird post HAD to be a more skillful troll

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
it owns just how much baby bombers don't understand what actual gunshots sound like (they're very distinct) and any loud sound is a gunshot (from those evil gangs!!!)

i guess it helps they all draft-dodged vietnam and then demand valor and respect

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Chinatown posted:

my local NextDoor currently has a thread full of people complaining about the police helicopter circling at night. Mind you, this is a neighborhood 2.5 miles from the airport and 3 miles from downtown in a heavily urban area.

People will complain about anything.

It's strangely common here for people to complain about the noise from the airports/train tracks that were there before they were even born. I don't get it.

What I doubly don't get is how you don't learn to just phase it out after a while. I grew up directly under an LGA glide slope and after a bit you don't even notice that a plane is passing by overhead so close you have to pause your conversations for 5 seconds.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Does anyone know what kind of spider this is? I'm afraid to go near it. Is it poisonous?

First 5 Replies: It's a black widow.
Remaining replies are either kill it, take it outside or people blubbing about how scary spiders are and telling spider sighting stories.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Renegret posted:

It's strangely common here for people to complain about the noise from the airports/train tracks that were there before they were even born. I don't get it.

What I doubly don't get is how you don't learn to just phase it out after a while. I grew up directly under an LGA glide slope and after a bit you don't even notice that a plane is passing by overhead so close you have to pause your conversations for 5 seconds.

The one thing I miss from my previous apartment is the train whistle. There's something very relaxing about hearing that at night.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Box of diapers. Only about 20 years old. About 10 left. $10 OBO

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 24, 2020

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Man this thread does show how old you all are lol
:haw:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Xaris posted:

it owns just how much baby bombers don't understand what actual gunshots sound like (they're very distinct) and any loud sound is a gunshot (from those evil gangs!!!)

i guess it helps they all draft-dodged vietnam and then demand valor and respect

poo poo, looking at the dates again I just remembered the one that I posted I actually know what the bangs were because it happened down the road from me. It was the sound of someone dying. A lady driving down the street got T-boned (Boom #1) by another car pulling out of the American Legion (drunk) followed by the lady’s car crunching into the embankment on her side of the road (Boom #2). It was crazy loud and didn’t really sound like a car crash.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Jay_Zombie posted:

Does anyone know what kind of spider this is? I'm afraid to go near it. Is it poisonous?

First 5 Replies: It's a black widow.
Remaining replies are either kill it, take it outside or people blubbing about how scary spiders are and telling spider sighting stories.

Goddamn I just opened up my Nextdoor app and first thing I saw was one of these posts.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Spinz posted:

Man this thread does show how old you all are lol
:haw:

who are you, i've never seen you in this neightborhood before we are watching yuo

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
*gets mad when I am featured on @bestofnextdoor*

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

It seemed legit but yeah.

Spinz posted:

Hummingbird post HAD to be a more skillful troll

Lol I just found the screenshot of the humbird post. He should probably just move to a different house.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

Goddamn I just opened up my Nextdoor app and first thing I saw was one of these posts.

I see them about once a week. NextDoor posts generally boil down to one of the following:

1. I lost my dog/cat.
2. I found this dog/cat.
3. Suspicious youths/minorities.
4. In search of handyman to lowball.
5. What is this bug and will it kill me?
6. Did you hear that boom?
7. Buy my garbage.

There's like a 90% chance that any time you look, one of those will be the first thing you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Mine is all people trying to sell stuff.