Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, having the unique power available earlier would do a lot to reduce annoyances, I think. Also making relics equippable earlier too.

What's the point of making unique champ abilities and then locking them away at level 8? Why make Relics a thing and make you wait so long to put 'em on?

Why all the useless Start with X gold, Earn X% more gold stuff when they don't want you to spend much gold for S-rank Badge in Wealth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MuLepton posted:

Yeah, you need to unequip it. It’s basically one item in a shared inventory.

Okay that takes the cake for dumbest design decision. Like, it doesn't even stop you from using them since you can only pick one champion at a time, it just wastes your time for no reason.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It sorta sounds like the main complaint about the mode would be solved if you got the unique power at level 2 instead of level 8?

How about level 1 instead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, the fact that you have to do even a single run with none of the mode's "fun stuff" seems like a problem imo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

And that's Fortune's down. I was stonewalled for a DAY by Nautlius, and cleared Viktor in my first run. Nautlius's map is so loving awful in every respect, I despise it so much. I literally grew like 4 levels from the attempts until I got Fortune's improved power.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I had a good run with Irelia and Poppy which actually beat Poppy pretty easy and then for whatever reason got stonewalled and taken down by Lulu, which is a shameful first but I guess at the same time Irelia is only like level 2 because she didn't get the benefit of easy mode runs like the Arcane champs.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
TIL that Luden’s doesn’t increase the damage of flashbombs, which is dumb :mad:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MuLepton posted:

TIL that Luden’s doesn’t increase the damage of flashbombs, which is dumb :mad:

Yup, because Flashbombs and Puffcaps are traps, not skills or abilities, there is only one card that buffs that damage, and it's Ava Achiever.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I don't normally tilt, but every time Assembly Line gets the -1 cost in Path of Champions... Ooh boy.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Main issue for me in the Path of Champions is that, it almost always feels bad to get new cards. Most of the time they just end up making your deck worse, which creates a feeling that you become weaker everytime you win a fight. That does easily create an unfun gameplay loop.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I love jamming more into my deck. It just gets jankier and jankier. I do think Path of Champions is being tailored to Timmys, which is where I think a lot of disconnect comes from.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The map with Karma is the mid-boss is kinda fun because you absolutely have to take some enormous impractical Timmy cards to get through that fight. But not too many, if you want to win out the entire run.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

Onmi posted:

Yup, because Flashbombs and Puffcaps are traps, not skills or abilities, there is only one card that buffs that damage, and it's Ava Achiever.

They should just add trap damage to Luden’s then, or make an alternate relic which buffs trap damage. That would immediately solve the problem of Cait’s signature power doing nothing at all on the Nautilus map (not to mention it being an unavoidable drawback against Scars).

One other (small) irritating thing is that Path doesn’t use any of the prismatics I have. I just want to have a few shiny cards in there :(

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Chazani posted:

Main issue for me in the Path of Champions is that, it almost always feels bad to get new cards. Most of the time they just end up making your deck worse, which creates a feeling that you become weaker everytime you win a fight. That does easily create an unfun gameplay loop.
It was kind of fun in Saltwater Scourge. By the end of the run your deck would be full of all sorts of cards with crazy bullshit modifiers and powers so every turn you could be windmill slamming a banger into play. Then we get Path of Champions which has much shorter runs so you just don't have enough time to fill your deck with OP nonsense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

I love jamming more into my deck. It just gets jankier and jankier. I do think Path of Champions is being tailored to Timmys, which is where I think a lot of disconnect comes from.

Even then, wouldn't a Timmy also enjoy a card that's been buffed out the wazoo by stacking modifiers on it? Like a 2 cost card with +4/+4 that summons 2 ethereal copies and fills up your spell mana. Which, you know, is also the best way to win? Always take the cards that are already in your deck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
These deckbuilders all do the same thing where you stack buffs on the cheapest possible cards 90% of the time. StS having an upgrade system instead of stacking static buffs is a huge part of why it has so much more replayability than others (imo).

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

CitizenKeen posted:

I think the only tailoring they've done is towards players who can't leave something incomplete. Since the original lab of legends they just keep adding more grind instead of significant improvements.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Pilchenstein posted:

I think the only tailoring they've done is towards players who can't leave something incomplete. Since the original lab of legends they just keep adding more grind instead of significant improvements.

I mean... Isn't the real target demo for most f2p mobile game the .01% of customers joylessly throwing money and time into a hole inside themselves. The rest of us are just collateral $.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

These deckbuilders all do the same thing where you stack buffs on the cheapest possible cards 90% of the time. StS having an upgrade system instead of stacking static buffs is a huge part of why it has so much more replayability than others (imo).

That's not true, there's also putting cost reduction on mid-costed cards :v:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh poo poo just realized when they buffed Relentless Pursuit to give +1/+1 to a unit it means you can play it on Taric and then copy it and Rally twice 🤯🤯

edit: some small Path of Champions updates. You only now get Unstable Manaflow if you lose in the first 2 battles, and "some early encounters have been reduced in difficulty" which I'd imagine would include Poppy-- haven't personally run into trouble with her but it sounds like she can be really tough depending on your champ.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 23, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

goferchan posted:

edit: some small Path of Champions updates. You only now get Unstable Manaflow if you lose in the first 2 battles, and "some early encounters have been reduced in difficulty" which I'd imagine would include Poppy-- haven't personally run into trouble with her but it sounds like she can be really tough depending on your champ.

Poppy felt exceptionally tough out of the gate with any of the non-Arcane champs (who could grind in relative safety) who were coming in cold. It felt like with a slow start - and especially since the AI always drew Poppy to play on turn 4 - you were against a force multiplier on top of a force multiplier for lack of a better term.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 23, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sorry for the lovely phone shot but what does it mean when it says upgrade?

Tapping it doesn’t do anything so I’m not sure what it upgraded?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Sorry for the lovely phone shot but what does it mean when it says upgrade?

Tapping it doesn’t do anything so I’m not sure what it upgraded?

it means the thing it's showing (blue wild, champ wild) are better than what you were supposed to get, but the game gifted you an upgrade.

specific card -> wild of that color
specific card -> higher color specific
wild -> higher color wild
shards -> more shards
capsule/chest -> bigger capsule/chest

are the upgrades I'm aware of. it's rare but possible to have the same slot upgraded more than once.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 23, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok thanks!

Last question about the “battle pass” I see that this one expires in like 15 days but how long are they normally? I’ll assume I should take a pass on this one since I’ve missed a good chunk of time with it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks!

Last question about the “battle pass” I see that this one expires in like 15 days but how long are they normally? I’ll assume I should take a pass on this one since I’ve missed a good chunk of time with it.

I think they always last 28 days. There have been four (five?) in the life of the game. You'll automatically progress on it as you play - wait until the last day (or second-to-last, if you're bad with missing deadlines) and see if buying it is worth it - you'll retroactively unlock all the paid stuff you've earned.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Vi? Go gently caress yourself. I've had struggles with Yasuo when he needed to get his ability, I had struggles with Miss Fortune and Cait when I got to Nautilus. Vi? Why is your deck so utterly loving poo poo? Why is your power next to useless? Why can you just not be 'good'?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What's Vi's endgame anwyays, just keep using Impact?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks!

I'm like 2 rewards away from the end of it and I bought it 13 days ago, so your mileage may vary. I played a shitload of Path of Champions though. Also the above advice is mostly correct but usually if you buy the pass in the first week you get an extra quest or two that reward a good chunk of progression and some extra cards or whatever. So there is some consideration to not save it for the last minute.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What's Vi's endgame anwyays, just keep using Impact?

Excellent question. I genuinely don't know. You can't really value out with Vi, so the best decision is to get the -1 Created spell mana power, and roll hard for Viktor.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

goferchan posted:

I'm like 2 rewards away from the end of it and I bought it 13 days ago, so your mileage may vary. I played a shitload of Path of Champions though. Also the above advice is mostly correct but usually if you buy the pass in the first week you get an extra quest or two that reward a good chunk of progression and some extra cards or whatever. So there is some consideration to not save it for the last minute.

Thanks for the advice I’m gonna keep playing for a bit and see how I get on.

Riot support did fix my prime issue though but I have no idea what cards I got because they just put them into my inventory lol

They were really responsive though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Onmi posted:

Excellent question. I genuinely don't know. You can't really value out with Vi, so the best decision is to get the -1 Created spell mana power, and roll hard for Viktor.

Yeah the "when you play a unit with 5+ power it strikes the strongest enemy" power is really good on her but it's basically really good in most decks lol. Naturally quick attack and overwhelm are pretty nice too and not too hard to pick up if you go for Champion Item nodes. I made the mistake of picking her up as a secondary champion in the Nautilus quest though and naturally it turns out she'll never strike for 10 power without other buffs because everything has tough lol

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

goferchan posted:

Yeah the "when you play a unit with 5+ power it strikes the strongest enemy" power is really good on her but it's basically really good in most decks lol. Naturally quick attack and overwhelm are pretty nice too and not too hard to pick up if you go for Champion Item nodes. I made the mistake of picking her up as a secondary champion in the Nautilus quest though and naturally it turns out she'll never strike for 10 power without other buffs because everything has tough lol

I would like to invite you all to JOIN THE GLORIOUS EVOLUTION!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

goferchan posted:

Yeah the "when you play a unit with 5+ power it strikes the strongest enemy" power is really good on her but it's basically really good in most decks lol.

note that no longer applies cause the mode is gone but might again: do not select this ability if your deck contains high powered ephemeral units like Darkwater Scourge (aka the old lab Hecarim deck)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fate Accomplice posted:

note that no longer applies cause the mode is gone but might again: do not select this ability if your deck contains high powered ephemeral units like Darkwater Scourge (aka the old lab Hecarim deck)

Yeah lol I had this along with "Whenever you play a champion, summon an ephemeral version" and there were a few edge cases it worked against me. Most of the time it was busted though

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was hoping Jinx's unique ability could be powered by Luden's when she was on field but sadly, it doesn't.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

Counterpoint: One of the most fun runs I had in old Saltwater Scourge was with Trifarian Might + Viego. I didn’t even realize why GP’s board suddenly got wiped and kept getting wiped each turn at first. Turns out that two Hydravines summoning encroaching mists with 5+ attack each turn (which become 3 mists with Viego on board) basically instakill 3 units per turn, since their stats keep ramping up.

Since the mists get summoned, strike, and immediately die, that happens really fast, you basically just see the enemy board go poof.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Trifarian Might + Saltwater Scourge was actually a fairly strong combo in Lab of Legends, since it meant the lifesteal couldn't be prevented.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

MuLepton posted:

Counterpoint: One of the most fun runs I had in old Saltwater Scourge was with Trifarian Might + Viego. I didn’t even realize why GP’s board suddenly got wiped and kept getting wiped each turn at first. Turns out that two Hydravines summoning encroaching mists with 5+ attack each turn (which become 3 mists with Viego on board) basically instakill 3 units per turn, since their stats keep ramping up.

Since the mists get summoned, strike, and immediately die, that happens really fast, you basically just see the enemy board go poof.

That's Awesome.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Note to self, if you have a power that says 'stun strongest target' and a unit that says 'Frostbite strongest target' both at round start they just hit the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Dawgstar posted:

Note to self, if you have a power that says 'stun strongest target' and a unit that says 'Frostbite strongest target' both at round start they just hit the same thing.
Unless they've rejigged how powers trigger in the new lab, taking the frostbite one first should mean the stun hits something else as the frostbitten target will (usually) no longer be the strongest.