Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, all about the order of operations there, because the strongest stunned target is still the strongest target for frostbite, but if frostbite hits first the stun will go to the next in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah, all about the order of operations there, because the strongest stunned target is still the strongest target for frostbite, but if frostbite hits first the stun will go to the next in line.

Yeah, that's the issue - the power going off is like the deck power which apparently procs before a card's power so you get a stunned card that is then hit with Frostbite.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I misread and thought they were both powers lol, yeah powers go off first.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
drat, I got this 5-cost unit that has Free Attack + Nexus Strike (Create a copy of myself), but I've never managed to use it except as a finisher, so I don't know if I can insta-kill an opponent by summoning it on an empty board -> it does a free attack -> it hits the Nexus and creates a copy of itself -> the copy does a free attack -> it hits the Nexus and creates a copy of itself -> the copy does a free attack loop.

Or if summoning it via its ability doesn't trigger the free attack since it's just summoned, not played.

Managed to beat Zed no problem with Jinx, even got S/B/S in a run once.

Gonna take Jinx to 18 before I tackle Naut though, cause gently caress Naut.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Or if summoning it via its ability doesn't trigger the free attack since it's just summoned, not played.

It’s this, being generated into play by another card doesn’t trigger the free attack. Similarly a card with free attack + ephemeral copy only triggers the free attack on the original unit, not the copy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Awww, that sucks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

And that's Vi handled. gently caress Vi, her deck is so poo poo, basically I was carried through all of Naut and Zed by Viktor and carried by Aphelios for the end. Not that Vi herself isn't good but the deck around her just sucks.

Now... sigh... now to complete Cait.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God bless you, you brave soul.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

Onmi posted:

Now... sigh... now to complete Cait.

:dukedog:
Cait was actually the the first one I completed.
Biggest dick was (as expected) Nautilus, but I got him on try 4 or 5. You need to get a good starting power (I got the “give your weakest unit +3/+3 this turn”), and a good secondary hero (in my case, Riven), but then he’s very doable. I just kept stacking buffs on Cait and Riven; Cait with challenger, overwhelm, and blade fragment buffs doesn’t need traps to kill stuff :getin:

Viktor felt more like a victory (viktory?) lap after that.

MuLepton fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 25, 2021

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MuLepton posted:

:dukedog:
Cait was actually the the first one I completed.
Biggest dick was (as expected) Nautilus, but I got him on try 4 or 5. You need to get a good starting power (I got the “give your weakest unit +3/+3 this turn”), and a good secondary hero (in my case, Riven), but then he’s very doable. I just kept stacking buffs on Cait and Riven; Cait with challenger, overwhelm, and blade fragment buffs doesn’t need traps to kill stuff :getin:

Viktor felt more like a victory (viktory?) lap after that.

Honestly, I've never had Viktor be harder than Nautlius. Viktor himself has some wild poo poo like a 6/4 1 drop, the face he gets to start with 2 mana, the fact Viktor himself is a 5/7... but the map itself is so much easier that at the very least you aren't praying to get out the starting gate.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Onmi posted:

Honestly, I've never had Viktor be harder than Nautlius. Viktor himself has some wild poo poo like a 6/4 1 drop, the face he gets to start with 2 mana, the fact Viktor himself is a 5/7... but the map itself is so much easier that at the very least you aren't praying to get out the starting gate.

Well. I got Trif, and LeBlanc as a hero choice, and then I was able to pick up evolution, and give Cait the Black Cleaver and the Reckoner so she'd come in, become an 8/8, strike the weakest, then strike the strongest. Then I got her the +1/+1 And Fury relic because the game was like "Sorry we made this route bullshit.

It wasn't even close. The first time I played Cait she came DOWN as a 19/16.

I would like to go over a few key players in this routes sheer loving absurdity.

And our lovely powers

EDIT: Yeah Viktor was nowhere near the same trouble, thoguh the spiteful rear end in a top hat Mystic Shot me just as I was getting my S-rank on health.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 25, 2021

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

MuLepton posted:

One other (small) irritating thing is that Path doesn’t use any of the prismatics I have. I just want to have a few shiny cards in there :(

Didn’t see this responded to but you can have prismatics in PoC. Before starting an individual fight, when it’s on the screen showing the powers for that fight, you need to click on the load out button. On the card styles page there is a check box that enables prismatics. You can also change board, card back, and all the other cosmetic stuff in those menus.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

Suddenly Susan posted:

Didn’t see this responded to but you can have prismatics in PoC. Before starting an individual fight, when it’s on the screen showing the powers for that fight, you need to click on the load out button. On the card styles page there is a check box that enables prismatics. You can also change board, card back, and all the other cosmetic stuff in those menus.

Holy crap, that did it, thanks. They really hid that well.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Deeply confused as to why Path of Champions is not clearly better than the previous two Labs of Legends, and is possibly worse, but hopefully they'll iterate.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've tried it, don't see where so much hate is coming from, the old lab was incredibly repetitive and was just a snoozefest for getting your daily exp bonuses.

Selane
May 19, 2006

for a lot of people repetitive > bad/annoying

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What exactly makes it bad/annoying? is it because it's possible to lose now or what's causing the frustration?

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Some of the base decks (Vi) are actively worse than almost all of the starting decks for the other labs game modes. Each champion is also leveled separately, so sometimes unfun grinding is required to unlock “the fun part” of each character. Free rerolls for starting powers is also gone and the game actively punishes you for doing so which kind of sucks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I do think this mode is better than Saltwater and the old Labs, but I also think a lot of it was NOT playtested, or just given no real thought. Vi's the major one, Cait's second, Nautilus's whole map just sucks unless you get a cracked run, Karma is a crapshot because someone thought Aurora Porealis was a good card to have in (in fact almost every Poro deck is a misery-factory)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
drat I barely managed to beat Naut in one go.

Thank gently caress for Luden's on Jinx, won by the skin of my teeth. Even did it without my usual go-to power, the one that lets you draw +1 and makes it fleeting for a guaranteed 2 damage per turn.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I really wish when you came up against stuff that shuffled stats it would be 'to a minimum of 1 Power' so cards with Strike powers didn't become worthless.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I've gotten 4 of the "When the foe plays a champion draw me and reduce my cost by the cost of the enemy champion" rare relic and no other rare relic. Fun fun fun.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Holy fuckin poo poo this node sucks a fat dick.

Like once turn 5 rolls around I’m done with. I think I might just have to restart this whole thing because I’ve done it like 5 times and getting stomped each time

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Absolutely bullshit.

Got him down to 3 and he steam rolls me

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zed is absurd I gave him the relic that rallies when you flip and I had Domination as my power so... Sure was a turn 4 kill. That said just how loving fast do you want me to clear this map for the S-rank?!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So I've now cleared all my available PoC's except for Nami and Jinx. I still have to unlock Tahm, Pyke, Lulu, Lee Sin, Irelia and Twisted.

Also I really do NOT understand the gold ranking, I don't know how to get more money for Zed to S-rank Viktor. I have the S in time and Health, just not gold.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Onmi posted:

Also I really do NOT understand the gold ranking, I don't know how to get more money for Zed to S-rank Viktor. I have the S in time and Health, just not gold.
If it's the same as the Bilgewater lab, you can be unlucky and just not get given enough gold to get an S.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Onmi posted:

Zed is absurd I gave him the relic that rallies when you flip and I had Domination as my power so... Sure was a turn 4 kill. That said just how loving fast do you want me to clear this map for the S-rank?!

Zed seems strong overall. I took him out for a first time and he blew past Poppy. Picked Thresh as his partner which... honestly hasn't done much although that one unit who kills another unit to make two Saplings has been very helpful.

(Probably going to lose it because I've only got 18 Health going into the Mirror Mage node which could hurt when I get spammed with multiple Daring Poros, but I still think Zed's pretty strong for this.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Zed seems strong overall. I took him out for a first time and he blew past Poppy. Picked Thresh as his partner which... honestly hasn't done much although that one unit who kills another unit to make two Saplings has been very helpful.

(Probably going to lose it because I've only got 18 Health going into the Mirror Mage node which could hurt when I get spammed with multiple Daring Poros, but I still think Zed's pretty strong for this.)

Zed and Jinx share a very similar 'issue' in that their initial deck is very strong and the more cards you gain the more you dilute your gameplan. With Zed, all you wanna do is slam Zed down and punch people in the face. You want to be cheap and keep swinging. Poppy (naturally) is a tremendously good partner champion, so is Akshan, Sivir and LeBlanc. You want to be low, and just rush down.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jinx gets a very different playstyle once you get her unique ability because then it becomes less about discarding everything for her rocket and more about constantly discarding poo poo so you can constantly spam 2 damage on everything. The rocket is just a nice bonus.

If you can find the "Draw 1 extra and make it fleeting" perk, then Jinx is pretty much solved because it solves your hand shortage issues.

The Plunder: -2 to Champ Cost Relic is wonderful on Jinx because she has a 0-cost Plunder ability in the Elusive Poro summoning spell, so you can get her out in Turn 2 (1 if you're max leveled / have cost reduction on Jinx).

If you get lucky enough to find University of Piltover or that one 6-cost unit that has "Discard your hand, draw 3, deal 3 to an enemy unit", then that in of itself can be a game winner, because that's a full hand's worth of damage in addition to her leveling up or getting her rocket (if she's already leveled.)

I got University of Piltover to deal 18 damage in a single round start, and I would have dealt 6 more from the 3 fleeting cards it created if the 18 damage hadn't killed the opponent.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd say most of my success in the new mode has been avoiding the nodes that have some absolutely insane high roll value potential and picking the other fight instead and aiming for champion item or item rewards over diluting my deck with potentially awful cards or cards I'll never draw.

An example recently was doing the sea monster node that generates treasure when they go deep, I ended up low-rolling everything possible hitting 0 lurks by round 7 and constantly drawing awful spells that got put into my deck while they ended up with a perfect curve into a round 7 board filled with 8/8's, I had to redo the fight with a revive and then high-rolled myself while they couldn't do anything, I would of had a much easier time beating down the old scargrounds deck instead of risking to get high-rolled by treasure and tosses.

I haven't done the mirror mage node yet because it sounds like it would have crazy high roll potential to snowball while preventing early aggression with a 4/7 body.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mirror mage is occasionally hilarious and I’ve had like, turn two wins against it

I tried to start TK last night and every choice in sequence was just abysmal for my deck. I ended up abandoning it mid-game as my deck got progressively worse with each encounter, glad that also rules out having a starting power for the next run too

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The first time I hit Nautilus I got a broken combination and beat the whole map without taking damage.

It was Katarina + Refill Your Mana Cost Anytime this card is played. Nautilus decks have no direct removal, meaning she was invincible and could be played indefinitely on repeat until the opponent was dead.

I ended up also getting -1 mana cost & double this character's power/health, which made things go by faster, but really it was over as soon as I got the refill your mana cost.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hauki posted:

I tried to start TK last night and every choice in sequence was just abysmal for my deck. I ended up abandoning it mid-game as my deck got progressively worse with each encounter, glad that also rules out having a starting power for the next run too

I hope Tahm is meta one day. I love his voicelines and concept.

"Oh, I don't require a menu."

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Sadly, it is best that the Kench remains Benched in every game he is in.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I haven't done the mirror mage node yet because it sounds like it would have crazy high roll potential to snowball while preventing early aggression with a 4/7 body.

Mirror Mage node is very safe in my experience because if you try and trade your Mirror Mage with theirs in combat over the course of the first two turns the AI will take you up on it 100% of the time. They might sneak a couple of elusive poros out on you first but that's it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So I solved labs. Managed to get an S on speed for Jinx vs Nautilus

EDIT: And that's Viktor down in one shot. I mostly took time just gaining life back for S health.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 29, 2021

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

I’ve really liked playing with TK so far. His slow speed coming online really forces you to build for early game, but with his power and a regen relic on him you can really wall most decks out once you play him. My most degenerate run so far was when I started with the 3 cost lurker power and managed to grab a Reksai with black cleaver, so she could reliably attack with 10+ attack and flip on turn 3 or 4 to just completely run over Karma and Ezreal.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wanna play TK a lot but the thought of leveling him to 8 hurts me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has Tahm ever had a deck besides the one with Soraka?