Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Have they given any indication on how often card expansions will come out? I'm vaguely interested in this but I'm not especially into any of the current heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Eternal subreddit has 17k members after 5 years of existence. This game is already at 39k after three days in open beta. Seems like a good sign.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

Have they given any indication on how often card expansions will come out? I'm vaguely interested in this but I'm not especially into any of the current heroes.

I don't think they said anything official, but 3 a year seems like a safe bet. That's what TFT looks like it will do.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Clarste posted:

All they’ve stated so far is they intend to release them a little slow because they’re going to aim for an extra faction with most of the card expansions, and to give previous expansions a champion/card set with synergy for the new faction.

Or something like that. 3 a year seems likely though, 4 months between sets.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Tenacious J posted:

Does anyone know if the starter bundle is good value? I'm seeing some conflicting ideas online.

I decided to buy 1000 coins because I like the game and I tend to only buy stuff like this once so I need to make them last.

According to Swim, it is good if you are planning to play shadow isles, damacia or frost dudes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Buller posted:

Just throws the cards in there.

Huh. On one hand that's kind of weird and unsatisfying. On the hand, it's nice not having to click through a dozen card flipping animations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat, i havent really played a tcg aside from hearthstone a few times but i really like the way rounds work in this, trading off attacking and defending and being able to attack and force them to defend with what they have is real neat

edit: the 30 fps on animations and stuff looks real bad though

queeb fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 25, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If I hit 7 wins on the first go of a expedition, is there any extra reward for doing a second trial besides practice or giving someone a free win?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
how RNG heavy is this? Is it more MTG or Hearthstone?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Its a mix of mtg and heartstone. It has alot of old school mtg elements like firststrike and such. The planeswalker system is applied too through their heroes.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

queeb posted:

trading off attacking and defending

Everyone notes the trading of attack and defense (and I thought that was innovative too,) but every game has that. We just call them “turns.” You get an attach phase on your turn, and you don’t if it’s their turn. The big functional difference is that everything in this game has flash, and the round system is just a way to support the timing and priority rules.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Closer to Magic in this. I haven’t studied every card but it’s very easy to see that there are way less absolutely random summon/add to hand effects than there are in HS. They do exist, though.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

The planeswalker system is applied too through their heroes.

Planes walkers are very different than champs though. Champions are just very impactful dudes, planeswalkers are very much their own thing.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If I hit 7 wins on the first go of a expedition, is there any extra reward for doing a second trial besides practice or giving someone a free win?

Nothing extra.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Frostbite decks make my blood boil and can be so abusive. What's a good deck to counter it?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
So far my mushroom deck is allowing me to punch way above my own weight. Just need to delay the game long enough for them to die by drawing cards.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
A rhetorical question.

How many Sump Dredgers do I need to craft to make this deck I imported?

How about Astute Academic? Note the "show unowned" is unchecked in this one, so I do own SOME of them.

My point is I hate the use of the word "Max" and where it's placed. Also needs an Eternal "create unowned cards" button.

Here's how Eternal does it.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 26, 2020

breaks
May 12, 2001

The deck builder is a dumpster fire in general and needs a lot of work.

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015

Imagined posted:

A rhetorical question.

How many Sump Dredgers do I need to craft to make this deck I imported?

How about Astute Academic? Note the "show unowned" is unchecked in this one, so I do own SOME of them.

My point is I hate the use of the word "Max" and where it's placed. Also needs an Eternal "create unowned cards" button.

Here's how Eternal does it.

I

You can just click the red card and drag it back in your collection. The red color will disappear once the deck reaches the number of cards you have. One of the UX designers posted on reddit that they are working on deck builder improvements and addressing most of the community's issues with it.
Edit: post
https://www.reddit.com/r/LegendsOfRuneterra/comments/etu8f9/it_would_be_nice_if_we_could_see_the_number_of/ffj5ua2

Poro synergy also looks very strong for expeditions with their buffs and the card that combines them. Not much you can do against a 20 power poro-ball with overwhelm and challenger. Add some demacia buffs and shields for taste.

I also saw on reddit that you can do only 3 expeditions per week, then you unlock a free option with no rewards. Probably resets weekly.

lexxyth fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 26, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Each time you hit 7 wins in an expedition you get a bonus 2000 xp. So by forfeiting the second trial you're missing out at your shot at that 2000 extra xp. You get card/shard rewards according to your highest win so that won't change if you do your second trial.

So if I drafted a strong deck I would probably try for it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

7-0 in my first trial with an Ashe focused deck, i can officially retire undefeated

lexxyth posted:

I also saw on reddit that you can do only 3 expeditions per week, then you unlock a free option with no rewards. Probably resets weekly.

Was there a day it reset on? Tuesday?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The RNG effects seem to be more for meme decks instead of real play. I've lost games to bad draws like any card game but I've honestly not had a match that felt like it was decided by my opponent just getting random bullshit.

edit: also using Hearthstone's mana system means you can't get flooded/screwed which is Great.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Spell mana is a really nice addition to the hearthstone mana model as well, makes it a bit less of a penalty to play off curve and at least opens the possibility to run decks without a lot of 1/2 drops where you're fine with just using spell mana to play stuff.

The biggest problem to me right now is the UI outside of playing the game. The deck builder is garbage, there're no numbers anywhere on the progression bars except when you finish a game so it's hard to tell how close you are to the next unlock, even the card library browser is pretty underwhelming. I assume they'll work all that out but it's kind of weird given how polished the animations in actual game are. Well, maybe not that weird given LoL's client.'

The economy seems designed to make it so you can't whale your way into a complete collection, but isn't that only going to work for Set 1? Once you have a complete set I assume you can keep buying wild cards and saving them up for the next set and then immediately unlock everything. I feel like they wanted to only charge for cosmetics with all the boards/guardians, but then gave up on it and now it's just awkward.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Aww, got to the 7th match and barely lost it because my opponent got really lucky on his "summon random unit" cards before any of my murder-yetis came up.

Yetis are a fun deck, I'm running a modified Freljord/Demacia starter deck for my "play daily matches" until I can get enough loot to build a proper murder-yeti deck for free play.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

lexxyth posted:

You still get the expedition experience for the free runs, which is super useful if you're good at it because it's a massive chunk of experience.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

M. Night Skymall posted:

The economy seems designed to make it so you can't whale your way into a complete collection, but isn't that only going to work for Set 1? Once you have a complete set I assume you can keep buying wild cards and saving them up for the next set and then immediately unlock everything. I feel like they wanted to only charge for cosmetics with all the boards/guardians, but then gave up on it and now it's just awkward.

Yeah I was thinking about this too. It's super nice easy now and will probably remain that way for anybody in this thread who's playing now and continues to, but theoretically a year from now if there have been 2 or 3 expansions added it's not going to feel as generous. It's certainly way better than the stinginess of something like Hearthstone but if you look at, like, Eternal, where 2 years ago the balance between cardpool and progression system meant you could spend little-to-no money on it and build a variety of high tier decks, it's become much less friendly to catch up for new players to the game.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
One thing I really appreciate about this game, at least at the moment, is that control/value decks arent noticeably more expensive than aggro ones. My main complaint with hearthstone (and supposedly this is a problem with other CCGs but hearthstone is the only one I've played) was I only really enjoy playing control decks and having the only decent lists therein be like 3x as expensive as other archetypes was a drag. Today I built a control deck with starter cards and like 5 wildcards and that's rad as hell to me after spending like 8 months playing 2 hearthstone decks because they were the only ones i enjoyed/could afford

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Anyone got some good examples of control decks? Im looking at the cards but not really seeing how it would work. Im assuming it would be some sort of Shadow Isles / Freljord deck.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Full hardcore traditional control does not exist in this game, but stuff like protective spells, kill spells, and the right champion controls is plenty control oriented. Karma and Anivia are both intended as midrange cards that become control finishers when you reach 10 mana (and Enlightened Decks in general are going to be control oriented). Ashe and Frostbite will flat out win the turn she gets her crystal arrow if played right, and Tryndamere slots in nicely to any Freljord Strategy looking to go long. She who Wanders is a good closer here as well.

Demacia also has some good old white control cards, to match Ionia having the blue control cards, even Piltover using Heimerdinger and big spells is a powerful control/grind game.

But if you're looking for killspells and counters and draw, there is no real deck that's just that, control is very interactive in Legends of Runeterra, just like Aggro and Tempo and Combo. Largely because that's how the game is designed.

Ashe Frostbite + something is probably the most simple control deck to understand, and even then it attacks a lot.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Id love to try a Heimerdinger deck

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
This game kinda reminds me about the Vs System, all the emphasis about tempo, alternating turns, buffing and value trading gives a similar vibe.

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015

Buller posted:

Anyone got some good examples of control decks? Im looking at the cards but not really seeing how it would work. Im assuming it would be some sort of Shadow Isles / Freljord deck.

Swim's Ultimate control looks like the most popular https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/boied6dp0i9p574dcg2g

It doesn't run any champions, so it's cheap-ish.

Edit: ok, deck now has 3xBraum. Yesterday he was running it on stream without champs,but was saying he'll have to refine it.

lexxyth fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 26, 2020

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

lexxyth posted:

Swim's Ultimate control looks like the most popular https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/boied6dp0i9p574dcg2g

It doesn't run any champions, so it's cheap-ish.

But theres 3x Braum right there

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Just found out that when you Dusk and Dawn an Undying it kills them with ephemeral and then brings them back next round without Ephemeral, which is oddly then mid lane of how broken that could have been, considering I also run Phantom Pranksters in that deck.

I really need a Hecarim for my Ephemeral deck.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Buller posted:

But theres 3x Braum right there

He must have changed it literally last night, because it did have 0 champions in it when I looked at it yesterday evening, as the blurb at the top still says.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Of the various champions, I feel like Darius has the worst identify out of any of them, Tryndamere is basically the exact same thing but so, so much better and stickier for 2 mana more.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I have a feature-complete Dawnspiders deck and it's pretty gross but not especially fun. I run into problems with Freljord beef gates from time to time but if you just want to put down guys and win games, Dawnspiders is the way to go. I'm cruising through ranked with it in very short order. I had to work yesterday so I've only reached rank 11 or 12 on the weekly vault. Which I also have no idea how it works? Every level increases the rarity of the chest, or... -- is there a maximum? What should I be aiming at each week?

I've almost gotten my second champion capsule and I'm grinding Ionia atm. I'd be okay with getting any of Zed/Shen/Yasuo, which means I'll probably get Karma. I need 2 more Shens to finish my Fiora OTK deck, but I don't have any copies of Yasuo,so I'm considered dropping some dosh to pick up the champion wildcards next Tuesday.

In terms of control decks, there's a super fun Yasuo/Zed control/mid-range I want to build from AskJoshy but I'm missing way too many of the pieces to even attempt a facsimile. As long as you have 3x Fiora and a lot of Barrier spells you can build a janky OTK deck, but without all the Yasuos the archetype for Ionia/Noxus just straight up doesn't exist. Beefed up Yasuo with Intimidating Roar is going to be especially my jam, or dropping a Yone/Minah to just manufacture a win. I don't think Fiora/Shen OTK is as strictly powerful and applicable as Dawnspiders is based on a dozen or so hours playing, but it's early and I'm sure there's loads of dumb poo poo I have yet to contend with.

My best LoR moment so far was winning a game when my Nexus was at 2 health and his was at 20. He went all in because Fiora had 0 kills, so I Riposte + Judgment and wipe his team of 5 attackers. gg no re

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Of the various champions, I feel like Darius has the worst identify out of any of them, Tryndamere is basically the exact same thing but so, so much better and stickier for 2 mana more.

How does Darius have the worst identity? hes a finisher. Youve been beating the enemies with your small dudes and now comes the big overwhelm dude. He lines up beatifully with the +power spells of Noxus and hes just there to say goodbye to the opponent. Hes cheaper than Trynd so he can do it faster. And Trynd is Nordfjell who you dont want to play in an agrro deck anyway.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

guts and bolts posted:

I have a feature-complete Dawnspiders deck and it's pretty gross but not especially fun. I run into problems with Freljord beef gates from time to time but if you just want to put down guys and win games, Dawnspiders is the way to go. I'm cruising through ranked with it in very short order. I had to work yesterday so I've only reached rank 11 or 12 on the weekly vault. Which I also have no idea how it works? Every level increases the rarity of the chest, or... -- is there a maximum? What should I be aiming at each week?

I believe the weekly vault caps out at level 14, but I'm not sure.

I'm also using Dawnspiders, but I'm missing like an Elise and maybe 1 or 2 other cards but it hasnt been an issue. I love the deck personally, its a complete monster. I can totally see Dawnspeakers getting a nerf. My mobalytics page says im 19-4, 83% win % with it. I forgot to stream it for like 3 or 4 wins at one point, so its more like 23-4. Also one of my loses was just stupidly bad rng. I didnt get a single really playable card till around turn 4 so I couldnt block a tiny bit of damage, and had the guy not killed me that round I would have easily wiped him the next turn.

Speaking of streaming. I hate having to stream using the twitch app so that I can see my stats in the game. I really hope they get around to adding in an in game stats page. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/541797952 This was one of my most favorite moments of mine so far. Ignore the sound I was watching another streamer while I played and like I said because you have to stream to track stats it was picked up. This guy got too drat greedy and I got a lucky Rhasa draw. He totally had lethal on me with his elusives but he just had to play 1 more card which not only cleared a minion to allow me to play another card but it also allowed Rhasas ability to trigger.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Darius is meant to be a tempo finisher, as opposed to Tryndamere's control finisher I feel. Darius wants to be the top-end in a deck that's fighting for the board and pushing damage through. Tryndamere doesn't quite need that because on his own he'll rip a Nexus apart whereas Darius finishes one off. More importantly, Darius can kill a nexus on the turn he levels up if you do it mid-combat and clear his blocker, which is brutal considering he effectively halves the health of a Nexus in the right situation.

Trynd honestly is probably a bit overtuned right now even with his nerfs, he's nasty as gently caress and I kind of expect them to give a second condition on his level-up (maybe even requiring enlightenment like Anivia) just because if you're playing Freljord you always want one Trynd.

Darius has the weakest identity of the Noxian champs though, he's a generalist tempo/control finisher, as opposed to the others having specific decks or playstyles they support. If you're in Noxus and need a top end he's great though.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 26, 2020

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah this game is fun as hell and my only fear is it pulling an artifact since I don’t know riot’s track record. It seems like they’re keeping their promise of you not having to devote your life to the game to keep up. I’m at max after only 3 days (and I didn’t play much on the first two days because I had to work)

My only complaint is all the art for the spell cards kinda sucks Comoros the creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Lifesteal I think is secretly one of the best keywords to have on a few guys in your deck, lot of games I've been saved or stopped by a buffed or elusive lifestealer.