Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Awesome! posted:

when markets were introduced they were kind of cancerous since they were basically guaranteed draws for your most important cards and maybe a couple tech cards. i think i heard that they changed it and you can only put cards that arent in your main deck into your market now but i havent played it in awhile.

You can still put any card in your market, but they made better merchants that can only access a black market, and a black market has to be only non-mained cards. IIRC, all future market development worked off of black markets, and any deck that was willing to work with a market would rather use a black market.

Because new page: I was talking about the other games' mechanics that were similar to Invoke. Continue on with the Runeterra discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

CitizenKeen posted:

You can still put any card in your market, but they made better merchants that can only access a black market, and a black market has to be only non-mained cards. .

This got changed, market cards may now no longer be copies of maindeck ones.

Also I'm done with expedition until invoke changes, every game is a grinder and it's boring as hell.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

ShaneB posted:

Elise Noxus spiders is a very good aggro deck ATM.

i'm debating between playing this and mf/scouts

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Finicums Wake posted:

i'm debating between playing this and mf/scouts

I like MF Scouts a lot.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've been playing this Leona/Yasuo setup that I'm enjoying. Daybreak aggro is the main focus but you get a splash of control from some stuns plus Deny and getting Yasuo out with Leona can lead to some silly board clear. Also one game I ended up with a 9/13 Yasuo because of Zenith Blade poo poo was hilarious.

https://www.runeterrafire.com/decks/stunning-steel-8371

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Yeah tf/swain is just objectively better than leona swain.

Culling strike is a dead card against most match ups and there isnt anything that really replaces it

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Strawberry Panda posted:

I like MF Scouts a lot.

It's weird how scouts seems like a deck I'd like and always has a 55+ win rate yet I'm terrible with it and don't like playing it. I think I don't get board control decks.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Man I don’t know what the gently caress is going on but I have yet to win a game all day. I’m like 0/10. :whoptc:

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

ShaneB posted:

It's weird how scouts seems like a deck I'd like and always has a 55+ win rate yet I'm terrible with it and don't like playing it. I think I don't get board control decks.

Yeah that is strange. It's definitely my go-to deck when I just want a win after eating poo poo with a new one.

I just like Miss Fortune blasting everything.

Also, got that Leona/Braum deck to work for me. I wasn't used to the Invoke mechanic so didn't really know how strong it was.

Definitely gonna try Swain/TF next since I really like TF.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Leona Karma is some of the wildest, most exhilarating Runeterra I've played in some time.

You know what's better than Celestials? TWO Celestials.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

Leona Karma is some of the wildest, most exhilarating Runeterra I've played in some time.

I'm liking what you are putting down.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
You know what I mean, jelly bean.

CIBACAICFEFAGCI2DQRTGNSMKRLFQYACAEBQSVICAEBAEMIBAEBQSDY

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

CitizenKeen posted:

I've gone through your list, and I don't really get what you mean by this. No celestial spells actually summon stuff right? I may misunderstood something.

Also, how are your deck vs Trundle Asol? They'll get to 10 much faster than you. And how are you answering all the 5+ stuff they'll start putting down on board starting from t4?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Just tried that Swain/Leona deck and man, the stun locking is so fun.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

You know what I mean, jelly bean.

CIBACAICFEFAGCI2DQRTGNSMKRLFQYACAEBQSVICAEBAEMIBAEBQSDY

*sees four leona triggers on the stack from one daybreak spell*

Life is good.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

srulz posted:

I've gone through your list, and I don't really get what you mean by this. No celestial spells actually summon stuff right? I may misunderstood something.

Also, how are your deck vs Trundle Asol? They'll get to 10 much faster than you. And how are you answering all the 5+ stuff they'll start putting down on board starting from t4?

Spells that summon Celestial cards now summon two. Starshaping was great before, 10 health and double Invoke is even nicer.

I'm not encountering too many ASol decks in low Plat. I think I'm 2-2 against them. Ionia packs a lot of answers, and while they ramp faster, this deck can recover pretty easily (I regularly go from 1-4 Health to 20 in a turn) and just owns card advantage.

Also, for the record, I used the adjectives wild and exhilarating, but not good nor competitive, though I think this could take me to Diamond, where I usually top out.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 4, 2020

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

CitizenKeen posted:

Spells that summon Celestial cards now summon two. Starshaping was great before, 10 health and double Invoke is even nicer.

I'm not encountering too many ASol decks in low Plat. I think I'm 2-2 against them. Ionia packs a lot of answers, and while they ramp faster, this deck can recover pretty easily (I regularly go from 1-4 Health to 20 in a turn) and just owns card advantage.

Also, for the record, I used the adjectives wild and exhilarating, but not good nor competitive, though I think this could take me to Diamond, where I usually top out.

Was cool that I had all the cards. Tested it out and the card advantage is pretty wild.

Definitely going to play it more.

Edit: Played two more games with it at low ranks. Didn't quite get the chance for the Karma combos, but was still fun.

Strawberry Panda fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 4, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I am unreasonably upset that Swole Squirrel has no summoning voice lines, and that the voice line isn't just a very deep manly voice going Squeak

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I am unreasonably upset that Swole Squirrel has no summoning voice lines, and that the voice line isn't just a very deep manly voice going Squeak

Maybe Patrick Warburton?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

Maybe Patrick Warburton?

My god you're a genius.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Hadn't really been playing much at all between the expansions but I'm glad to know that Nautilus decks still slap in the era of Targon. Decided to take on the Gauntlet since I had never done one and got me a 7 win victory with my Solo Naut deck. It's mostly just a Solo Naut deck because I don't have any Maokai to throw in with it but it still very much ramps up and does silly poo poo as is. :toot:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I was wondering where all the Lux decks were then I played against one and hushed them on their six mana spell and realized why there were no Lux decks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I have not played in a bit, I assume undying decks are also dead because of the existence of hush just single-handedly shutting them down?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Just ran into a undying deck that died to me doing exactly that.

He gave me a braum wave because I guess he forgot hush can be reused on his neverglade collector.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I tried this in the open beta at the start of the year and was kinda unimpressed with its "f2p friendliness" mostly involving hell grinding for daily/weekly rewards much like hearthstone...

but lately I've been in the mood for a card game and there's literally just an abyss beyond this, hearthstone, and MTG:A, and I don't particularly want to get back into the latter or return to HS.

I guess my questions are: How bad off am I gonna be coming into this half a year after launch? Is clearing dailies with a specific faction gonna be a slog of losing game after game with starter cards for weeks until I can build a real deck? Or is there some way I can just slot 40 dollars into the slot machine and have myself a tier 1 deck to play?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Minrad posted:

I tried this in the open beta at the start of the year and was kinda unimpressed with its "f2p friendliness" mostly involving hell grinding for daily/weekly rewards much like hearthstone...

but lately I've been in the mood for a card game and there's literally just an abyss beyond this, hearthstone, and MTG:A, and I don't particularly want to get back into the latter or return to HS.

I guess my questions are: How bad off am I gonna be coming into this half a year after launch? Is clearing dailies with a specific faction gonna be a slog of losing game after game with starter cards for weeks until I can build a real deck? Or is there some way I can just slot 40 dollars into the slot machine and have myself a tier 1 deck to play?

You can do dailies against the CPU and each faction has a rewards track that gets double XP up to a certain point ( you can switch from one faction's rewards to another whenever). You can also use real money to purchase wildcards directly from Riot and make a deck, yes.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Minrad posted:

There is no slot machine and a tier 1 deck costs thirtyish bucks.

I have many problems with LoR but the monetization is objectively the best in existence

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

every card has 3 crafting options: wildcards, shards and gold. if you want to spend cash you just make whatever cards you want directly with gold.

slight warning though, we are still in a fairly new meta after the expansion and things are still changing and theres going to be a balance patch next week which will change things even more. so dont go too crazy crafting specific decks right off the bat.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I play this game maybe two times a week, and prior to the most recent expansion I had basically a complete collection, and I have a mountain of currency that I could use to build at least three or four new decks if I wanted to blow it.

I quit HS and MTGA because both of them felt like a job to keep up with because of their stingy economies and the inherent badfeel of opening booster packs over a long period of time. Runeterra feels like I am barely trying and I still get showered in cards.

AFAIK there are also catch-up mechanics that make the low levels of each regional track have accelerated exp gain now. Between that and the fact that you won't be having 75% of your chests turn into dupe shards, I imagine a new player will get catapulted forward pretty fast, even more so if you are willing to spend money to just directly buy the champs you want.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The f2p in this is insane.

Only other cardgame I played was hearthstone. I grinded that game like it was my job AND spent more than 200 dollars on the piece of poo poo. After all that I still had a fraction of the cards I needed to make any of the decks I wanted. Getting legendaries was nearly impossible. I never got to experiment with more than two or three decks. And then they added rotations and I lasted about another month before I quite, having never got to touch half the fun cards in the game.

In this game I spent like two weeks doing budget versions of decks before I had enough cards to make real decks. I have nearly every single champ in the game right now. I spent Zero dollars and after the initial burst of excitement when I first started playing I don't even play that much and still have almost everything.

Like some of it was probably luck, I kept getting chests with two champs in it way more than seems likely but still.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I also just feel way less urge to try hard in Runeterra than I did with Hearthstone. Hearthstone the goal was to make legend. In Runeterra the goal for me is to get enough resources to make a new deck.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Okay I gave it a fair try for a day and I'm enjoying it more than I did the first go around. The mobile client working really well sold me pretty hard too, because I can go crank out games against the AI for my daily rewards when I have poo poo going on at work where nothing is happening but I might need to drop everything at a moment's notice. S'cool.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Minrad posted:

Okay I gave it a fair try for a day and I'm enjoying it more than I did the first go around. The mobile client working really well sold me pretty hard too, because I can go crank out games against the AI for my daily rewards when I have poo poo going on at work where nothing is happening but I might need to drop everything at a moment's notice. S'cool.

Basically what I do.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Big drama in the LoR community today lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6egJcWdNkJY

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I guess that's why they mentioned in 1.11 that hush will get increasing cost to use.
Frankly I'd be fine if hush was removed or reworked entirely, there are too many fun cards it just makes unplayable if it's popular.

How about this for a reworked Hush: 2 mana this round silence a friendly follower and then grant it +2/1 and create a fleeting Hush in hand.
Can't abuse it with keywords like elusive or lifesteal, counters frostbite and vulnerability and other temp debuffs.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 16, 2020

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Hush affecting Champions is the best part of Hush. I hope they don't change that, and their language make it sound like they won't.

Also, I had no beef with Swim before, but gently caress him. What a prick.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 16, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Needing 12 mana to cast it 3 times instead of 9 mana (assuming the cost goes up by 1 each cast) should make it a lot less oppressive tbh

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

CitizenKeen posted:

Also, I had no beef with Swim before, but gently caress him. What a prick.

Nah, it's pretty funny. The crying thread on Reddit where people act like their house just burnt down was a good laugh this morning.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
In his gameplay videos he assembles the combo then forfeits after two minutes. I think it's insane that people are actually seeing this and then doing it on ladder but it's such a ridiculous situation I can't even be mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
the video's gone, what happened