Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it was an infinite combo hush deck with no win condition beyond holding your opponent hostage until they concede

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Every single aspect of hush is fine with one exception because there a ton of annoying cards that need to be told to shut the gently caress up.

But WHY does it make more if itself? That is insane. Like imagine if deny or will made more of themselves. Like was lasting only one turn such a huge downside to them they thought that was the trick to make it balanced?

Anyway been having fun with the hostage deck. Did you know the match automatically ends in a tie if it lasts 90 minutes?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Every single aspect of hush is fine with one exception because there a ton of annoying cards that need to be told to shut the gently caress up.

But WHY does it make more if itself? That is insane. Like imagine if deny or will made more of themselves. Like was lasting only one turn such a huge downside to them they thought that was the trick to make it balanced?

Anyway been having fun with the hostage deck. Did you know the match automatically ends in a tie if it lasts 90 minutes?

ty for actively making the game worse

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Sedisp posted:

ty for actively making the game worse

this is 100% on Riot for not fixing their easily fixable digital card game

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What was I supposed to do? Not shoot that guy? You gave me a gun!

breaks
May 12, 2001

ketchup vs catsup posted:

They did actually hotfix it yesterday, unless something went wrong with it

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
LOL people are actually willing to sacrifice their own precious 90 minutes just to "make a stand" on a mobile card game of all things? That is so funny & sad at the same times.

Also it's funny that someone mentions without having access to the source code whatsoever that it's an "easy fix". Like have you even programmed anything before? Just because it's "digital" doesn't mean you just edit a few lines of codes to make it work, you have so many things to confirm & check to make sure you don't break anything else.

It's good that Riot actually does something relatively safe to fix it, and not "give in". It does break a few other combo decks, but eh, when your players are willing to waste their own & others' time like that and ended up making the gameplay experience much worse for everyone, sacrifices need to be made.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

srulz posted:

Also it's funny that someone mentions without having access to the source code whatsoever that it's an "easy fix". Like have you even programmed anything before? Just because it's "digital" doesn't mean you just edit a few lines of codes to make it work, you have so many things to confirm & check to make sure you don't break anything else.

I meant easy to fix as in easy to roll out a fix to users. Digital games mean you don’t have to worry about existing out of date print copies, and always-connected services eliminate version mismatches by locking users out till they update.

Also, I daresay Riot probably engineered their system to make changing cards not something that breaks too much else - if only to make it easier to quickly test variations of cards at scale.

Incidentally, I am a professional programmer.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

srulz posted:

It does break a few other combo decks
What combo decks rely on casting the same spell 16 or more times in one turn? :v:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

primarily the infinite combo vault breaker/mushroom deck that the hush hostage deck was based on

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Playing a combo deck that has no win condition beyond forcing your opponent to stop playing the game is 100% player choice.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

srulz posted:

LOL people are actually willing to sacrifice their own precious 90 minutes just to "make a stand" on a mobile card game of all things? That is so funny & sad at the same times.

Now, in my defense, I don't care about the intended message or whatever I'm just a Fatigue Warrior hearthstone player.

Extremely sad that they hotfixed it before I got to try it instead of just telling people I did. Looking forward to Soraka being added to the game though.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

yesterday I burned 25 common wildcards to make sure I have at least one of every single common card available.

it was a waste, but it was fun!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Nah, it's not really a waste. Common wildcards are very common and getting shards to put towards future rares/epics is worth a lot more.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Yeah after I got a playset of all commons I've still got 50ish common wildcards. It may not seem like much but a guaranteed 15 shards per (non-wc) common adds up.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Sad this thread seems to have dried up. New spoilers look sick.

Also, Eternal's Sites but not attackable is an interesting option. I'm curious to see how Landmarks work out.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can I just say Sunk Cost is a great card name for the effect.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Thinking of checking this out while MTG is in a rut. Anything I should know before I sign up?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

CitizenKeen posted:

Sad this thread seems to have dried up.
The vibe I get from the parts of the community I engage with is that everyone's kind of down on them only releasing part of the set this time, I imagine everyone will perk up when the new cards land.

If anyone hasn't tried the single player lab that's active at the moment, it's fun enough but the AI is possibly even dumber than it is in vs AI mode :v:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Yeah the release schedule kinda blows a bit, but I've been playing and still enjoying myself. I dunno what the gently caress they were thinking with the Bastion buff though, because that goddamn Lee deck is very prevalent and pretty annoying to deal with.

I really am looking forward to Tahm, this new set looks + Jack the Winner gave an idea of what he might be like. If the damage to self effects count towards Swain could easily see a super aggro Swain bilgewater deck. Vlad could make sense too but I dunno if he would see play as much though. Most of the stuff he synergizes with is better served not using him. He probably needs a little rework like Lee got.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I play enough each week to get the random champion, but I only play vs AI because humans are far too slow

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Prankburn owns Lee, and does fine-to-well in most other matchups

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

I play enough each week to get the random champion, but I only play vs AI because humans are far too slow

Same. I want the games to be 5 minutes, not 20+.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Servaetes posted:

I dunno what the gently caress they were thinking with the Bastion buff though, because that goddamn Lee deck is very prevalent and pretty annoying to deal with.
Yeah, the bastion buff was absolutely unnecessary imho

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rR61z1V9Ws

Tahmmy Boy does not disappoint!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

This lab is pretty sick. I hope runeterra gets a dungeon run equivalent at some point.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, this Lab is the kind of flavor/fun content that makes me feel the kind of warm and fuzzy that makes me love the game. Competitive needs to be good for me to like it, but Lab was a hoot.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Also like that the Lab gives you the daily p2p exp.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

gently caress yes my favorite champ, now in POG form

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, this Lab is the kind of flavor/fun content that makes me feel the kind of warm and fuzzy that makes me love the game. Competitive needs to be good for me to like it, but Lab was a hoot.
The only thing holding it back is the AI being dumber than a sack of hammers - casting starshaping on a unit with full health when the heal would save the nexus from lethal is a move I've seen it do a few times :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Really wish they'd stop adding horseshit like that last card, this game's big strength was "not being hearthstone" lol

edit: forgot tweet embeds showed two tweets instead of one :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 7, 2020

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Crystal Ibex is the real deal.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what the gently caress is howling abyss lmao

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019

Awesome! posted:

what the gently caress is howling abyss lmao

A really bad card? 7 mana do nothing are not worth a lot unless they win you the game within next few turns, and level 2 champs are not quite that powerful.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Alitur posted:

A really bad card? 7 mana do nothing are not worth a lot unless they win you the game within next few turns, and level 2 champs are not quite that powerful.
It's not meant to guarantee wins, it's meant to piss off your opponent on the occasions when it swings games. It's a really bad card because "oh hey, here's something that either sets you back a mile or swings the game instantly depending entirely on how lucky you are" is lovely design :v:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It's infinite value in a region that has a ton of ramp tools, even if the champs are on average not mindblowing. It really depends on how easy it's going to be for your opponent to remove the landmark.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It fits the flavor of ARAM well and almost every leveled up champion is at worst a overstated vanilla minion and at best going to have some synergy value with your hand, I wouldn't dislike randomly getting a leveled Anivia, Gangplank, Sej, Kalista, Lucian, Garen, MF, Twisted Fate, or the opponent conceding when you drop Nautilus.

You'll get the occasional Teemo or Fizz but they are still overstated 1 drops.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

I tried this game a little bit and it seems fun but the fact that it gives every people around 45 minutes of rope time for every single action kind of makes it unplayable for me, I just don't have hours of time to devout to waiting for people to make obvious moves!!!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

barge posted:

I tried this game a little bit and it seems fun but the fact that it gives every people around 45 minutes of rope time for every single action kind of makes it unplayable for me, I just don't have hours of time to devout to waiting for people to make obvious moves!!!

This complaint comes up a lot, but I just don't know who ya'll are playing. I rarely have a game take more than 10 minutes, and I play Warmother Control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barge
Jun 12, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

This complaint comes up a lot, but I just don't know who ya'll are playing. I rarely have a game take more than 10 minutes, and I play Warmother Control.

I dunno I'm just trying out the draft format a little, I've only run across 2 of them out of 6 games or so but if there's no mechanism stopping people from chain roping that sucks