Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I think people are over reacting to Targon atm. Except for Hush. Hush is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Watching someone stream just now and their opponent got sol to flip, then just spent forever cycling through free celestial cards and invokes, two living legends and all kinds of other nonsense until the streamer got bored waiting for the winning attack and surrendered and I think that's basically the intended play pattern they're going for - people think it's cool when they get a big moment of styling on their opponent, so if every single game ended that way then it'd be the best ccg ever :v:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Phayray posted:

That's my experience so far as well. It's fun (but a lot of long games) if I'm playing the new cards, and not very fun if I'm playing against them, because there's just an insane amount of value packed into the new stuff; it feels bad not using it. The Warning Shot + Jagged Butcher combo feels completely underwhelming when Targon can drop a 3/3 and 3/6 on turns 1 and 2, respectively, with 2 cards instead of 3. Same deal with Invoke, where you can put in-hand a cheap 4/1 overwhelm on turn 1 then smack your opponent for 5 on turn 2.

That 4-cost card that gives permanent elusive seems bonkers too. I've lost multiple games to it, because you basically put big body down to ask "do you have removal?" and if the answer is no, you give it elusive and win the game for 4 mana. Without the elusive you can at least chump block the big body and stall for more options. Seems like it really should only last 1 turn, or be more selective about the targets, or something.

Like I said, it's been fun playing the new stuff, and I've had some really crazy slugfests with the new cards. It is a shame though, my favorite deck, Deep, feels pretty pointless now that way scarier units that synergize and get stronger when they kill things exist. It'll be interesting to see the new stuff they add to round things out.

Deep still goes online a lot faster than the late game monstrosities Targon offers, I don't think it will suddenly become irrelevant. Again, I think Targon just has too much built-in stalling with powerful early game cards that scale well + lots of healing, and I'm guessing they're going to work on that.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a bug or an interaction I'm not understanding. I've tried to use Guiding Touch on a Slotbot that had 'damage' (red health) but it doesn't heal it, just draws the card. I'm guessing that's working correctly but the Slotbot's health shouldn't be showing as red?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sloppy posted:

I'm trying to figure out if this is a bug or an interaction I'm not understanding. I've tried to use Guiding Touch on a Slotbot that had 'damage' (red health) but it doesn't heal it, just draws the card. I'm guessing that's working correctly but the Slotbot's health shouldn't be showing as red?

A unit that has taken damage on it's turn will remain in the damaged state until it is healed to it's max health. Might be a bug. Are you sure you healed it to the health it had at beginning of turn?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

That’s a visual bug with Slotbot’s effect. His health shows as red if he rolls it lower than his base health even if he has no damage taken.

Also for those talking about the Targon Control package being busted I’m hearing streamers and sundry beating it with actually good Aggro decks like MF Scouts and aggressive midrange like Nocturne/Diana or Leona/Diana.

Of course if they stumble their start then A Sol wins but that’s usually how control beats Aggro. I think what’s happening is we haven’t had an actually good control/ramp deck in Legends ever and so now that one exists it’s putting pressure on the parts of the game that have otherwise been completely free.

If they nerf anything from Targon I expect it to be some of the Daybreak cards, not the healing or Celestials.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 29, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I mean, the high end stuff is completely in line with the rest of the game's philosophy that once a match goes beyond turn 8 balance goes out the window but the celestial cards absolutely need a nerf - "it's random which ones you get to pick from" doesn't in any way justify how obnoxious some of them are. They also really need to come up with a way for you to check the possible draws from invoke in-game.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Pilchenstein posted:

I mean, the high end stuff is completely in line with the rest of the game's philosophy that once a match goes beyond turn 8 balance goes out the window but the celestial cards absolutely need a nerf - "it's random which ones you get to pick from" doesn't in any way justify how obnoxious some of them are. They also really need to come up with a way for you to check the possible draws from invoke in-game.

It's not that balance goes out the window, it's that post turn 8 control decks start playing their finishers which are meant to be hard to come back from because you've had 3-4 turns of attack to take them down. That's how control decks work, they hold on until late game and win through a finisher.

You do not want to ever play against the control deck that has no finisher and instead just continues to control until one player runs out of cards, those are way way worse feeling.

Also all the Celestial cards that are kill spells are slow, if they're doing a bunch of invoking just attack at the start of your turn with what you have instead of opening yourself up to their slow speed removal.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's not that balance goes out the window, it's that post turn 8 control decks start playing their finishers which are meant to be hard to come back from because you've had 3-4 turns of attack to take them down. That's how control decks work, they hold on until late game and win through a finisher.
People keep on saying this as if the late game finishers exist in a vacuum where control decks do nothing until they play them or that "just play aggro and win really quickly" isn't something that had half this thread gnashing and wailing when it was prominent in the meta :v:

Also "just open attack lol" is completely asinine - you have to develop units at some point and it's not as if the issue with the celestial cards is only "some of the removal is good", they're overpowered cards by design and I don't think "you can't plan on using overpowered card X, you might have to figure out how to win with overpowered card Y instead" is enough of a counterbalance.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

People keep on saying this as if the late game finishers exist in a vacuum where control decks do nothing until they play them or that "just play aggro and win really quickly" isn't something that had half this thread gnashing and wailing when it was prominent in the meta :v:

People were mad when aggro was a completely uninteractive experience. A choice between take three damage now or take two damage and go down a card is lovely balance.

MF scouts is still a T1 deck and no one has complained.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Burn was awful because it needed like, five combat damage tops to win. After that it had enough burn to outright kill you regardless of board state, and we lacked the healing we have now. So your strategy was to pray you never lose control of the board or hope they don’t drawn enough burn before they totally lose the board and die. It sucked.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Pilchenstein posted:

Also "just open attack lol" is completely asinine - you have to develop units at some point and it's not as if the issue with the celestial cards is only "some of the removal is good", they're overpowered cards by design and I don't think "you can't plan on using overpowered card X, you might have to figure out how to win with overpowered card Y instead" is enough of a counterbalance.

You build your board when they’re spending mana actually invoking the “overpowered” minions, which for the record off the top of my head only 3 of them actually have better stats than their cost would normally give. Two of which are the 0 drop and 1 drop who both have much higher attack than units of their cost, and the Sisters who give a lot of stats relative to their cost. The top end are all very strong but they’re also two turns of investment for a single card more often than not.

Invoke if it’s playing the minions is inherently the slowest deck in the game because every Celestial takes another card to even exist. If you can’t out aggro and build a board against 1/2 do nothing but set up later turns as an aggro deck your aggro deck is bad. Off the top of my head they should probably make the Troll Enlightened heal card minions only.

Now in all fairness, I do think it will get nerfed or the Targon Healing Package will get nerfed but don’t expect it to stop doing the gameplay it does now, that’s how the deck is meant to work it might just be a little too good at what it does.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 29, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Pants Donkey posted:

Burn was awful because it needed like, five combat damage tops to win. After that it had enough burn to outright kill you regardless of board state, and we lacked the healing we have now. So your strategy was to pray you never lose control of the board or hope they don’t drawn enough burn before they totally lose the board and die. It sucked.
All the stuff that did 2 damage whenever anything at all happened was overpowered and it felt really bad when it highrolled you but it wasn't that much worse than being highrolled by some of the other stuff that exists in the game, which should also be toned down :v:

Also "we lacked the healing we have now" is an interesting point because a lot of the stuff in targon's early game feels like it was designed to be the perfect counter to the old nox aggro, maybe.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Oh I definitely think they built the Targon stuff in response to the old burn aggro list and didn’t correct it after the changes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Has anyone been experimenting with Lulu support aggro? I like how it feels in the Lab, but obviously the Lab decks are bad and are fighting other bad decks so it may not be indicative.

I haven't been playing this game regularly so I don't have enough resources to craft a brand new deck blind.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Clarste posted:

Has anyone been experimenting with Lulu support aggro? I like how it feels in the Lab, but obviously the Lab decks are bad and are fighting other bad decks so it may not be indicative.

I haven't been playing this game regularly so I don't have enough resources to craft a brand new deck blind.
I saw a streamer trying that and it got completely destroyed by targon.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

You do not want to ever play against the control deck that has no finisher and instead just continues to control until one player runs out of cards, those are way way worse feeling.

Hearthstone was full of those types of (warrior) decks and my only solace is that those guys would queue into eachother and have 1 hour long games that went into draws.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Megasabin posted:

I know many of you don't like expedition. It's the only game I mode I play though and I found it quite well balanced before this patch. There were multiple viable deck types and I generally had close interesting games.

This patch has ruined expedition. It feels like a parody version of the game. Celestial cards give you so much value it's absurd. Every game both players have full boards of 6 units + full hands now. If you don't draft a celestial deck you've lost. Since there are several cards that let you get a body + a free celestial card you can comfortably stall out the game and then start dropping the absurd late game celestials. Didn't bother drafting removal? Don't worry about it. You will almost always end up with a few obliterates.

Games feel like they take forever now and they are just huge slog fests between giant celestials and obliterates. This is completely awful.

Support spam and Daybreak are also good so at least there are multiple play styles, but the Targon stuff is on a different power level. It’s like an MTG limited where one color has twice as many bombs, and cards from a more powerful set.

All the stuff feels fun to use though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm guessing my old favorite deck of The Undying championless is 100% dead if Hush is completely meta dominating right now.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
My biggest takeaway so far is A) Hush is so gonna get nerfed B) Daybreak package in general is way strong, especially Leona and C) Nightfall kind of sucks. I haven't even seen Ezreal yet but the idea of gems and him seem nightmare strong, not looking forward to running into it.

ASoL seems pretty balanced, all things considered, feels like you can easily smash him down before he appears.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Honestly, the only really good nightfall stuff seems to be the ones that grant things permanently. And of course the cantripping buff.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
What are some decks you all are running? Haven't really tapped into anything new yet.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Hearthstone was full of those types of (warrior) decks and my only solace is that those guys would queue into eachother and have 1 hour long games that went into draws.

LoR desperately needs an armor mechanic so I can go back to my old ways of building decks designed to simply play forever.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Whitenoise Poster posted:

LoR desperately needs an armor mechanic so I can go back to my old ways of building decks designed to simply play forever.

Thankfully, unlike fatigue Legends of Runeterra has decking out a be an actual lose condition.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Hey everyone! I haven't played LoR since shortly after release, though I farmed up a decent collection of the base set. I have about enough wildcards and coins to buy one deck to start grinding with. I know the meta is probably still relatively undefined but are there any super scary decks I should be wary of or just craft outright? I'll be farming for meta cards from both of the expansions so I want to be careful that I don't craft something that's garbage and loses outright to some secret sauce new hotness.

FWIW, if nobody has any recommendations I'm just going to craft this Diana/Nocturne aggro thing that Mogwai is currently playing.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

What are some decks you all are running? Haven't really tapped into anything new yet.

I think my favorite all-rounder deck so far is Braum/Leona

CIAQUAYJC4NBWHBJGZGFMWDAAIAQCAIJAMBQSE2UKUAQEAYJGNLQ

The early daybreak drops are great for stopping a lot of early game threats dead in their tracks so you rely on them and your champions to stall them even more. Ideally you want to keep as many of them alive on the board as you can because it synergizes well with Leona's champion spell that re-triggers daybreak. Once you get to the mid-late game you start trying for the bigger invokes. The number of 3 drops in this deck could probably stand to be cut somehow and I dropped a braum because I kept getting clogged hands but other than that the deck has been pretty solid for me.

Swaim/Leona

CIBQCAIDFYCAEAYBA4EASBIDBENBYNSYMABQCAIDAQAQEAYDAMBQSEYXKYAA

This is basically just the old control swain with the daybreak package. You throw out a huge amount of stuns which work well with flock and getting swain's ability off. Might want to replace bastion with Hush. Also sunburst is dope as hell in general. There's just so many valuable targets in this game that it just cleanly removes.

Swim's Trundle/Aurelion ramp

CEBQIAYJCVKFMVYEAEAQYFAVEEBAGAIGBABAEAYJC5KQEAYBAQCQEAIDAEBACAIBGI

Basically you mulligan hard for trundle and some ramp you can play on turn 3 and try to survive to get Aurelion off. If he flips you're probably going to win. There's a bunch of aoe spells and heals so there's a lot of situations you can wiggle your way out of.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DrManiac posted:

Also sunburst is dope as hell in general. There's just so many valuable targets in this game that it just cleanly removes.

I keep making the exact same mistake of thinking "oh, they're using direct damage removal, I'd better respond by buffing the target's health- wait, it just silenced them first, oops."

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 30, 2020

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

I keep making the exact same mistake of thinking "oh, they're using direct damage removal, I'd better respond by buffed the target's health- wait, it just silenced them first, oops."

I won 3 expedition games in a row off my opponent making this mistake, poo poo's hilarious.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Edit: nm

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

DrManiac posted:

I think my favorite all-rounder deck so far is Braum/Leona

CIAQUAYJC4NBWHBJGZGFMWDAAIAQCAIJAMBQSE2UKUAQEAYJGNLQ

The early daybreak drops are great for stopping a lot of early game threats dead in their tracks so you rely on them and your champions to stall them even more. Ideally you want to keep as many of them alive on the board as you can because it synergizes well with Leona's champion spell that re-triggers daybreak. Once you get to the mid-late game you start trying for the bigger invokes. The number of 3 drops in this deck could probably stand to be cut somehow and I dropped a braum because I kept getting clogged hands but other than that the deck has been pretty solid for me.

Swaim/Leona

This is basically just the old control swain with the daybreak package. You throw out a huge amount of stuns which work well with flock and getting swain's ability off. Might want to replace bastion with Hush. Also sunburst is dope as hell in general. There's just so many valuable targets in this game that it just cleanly removes.

Swim's Trundle/Aurelion ramp

CEBQIAYJCVKFMVYEAEAQYFAVEEBAGAIGBABAEAYJC5KQEAYBAQCQEAIDAEBACAIBGI

Basically you mulligan hard for trundle and some ramp you can play on turn 3 and try to survive to get Aurelion off. If he flips you're probably going to win. There's a bunch of aoe spells and heals so there's a lot of situations you can wiggle your way out of.

Thanks! Built the first deck. Need to save up a few more shards to build the others.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
can confirm swain/leona is good af, been using it a lot this past week

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I don't think its op but invoke not telling you what cards your opponent has is a real feel bad.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Winning a game because your opponent forgot Hush works on Champs.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

DrManiac posted:

Swaim/Leona

Hey, thanks for the useful post. Anyway I'm highly interested in Swain Leona, but I see 0 healings for you. Is this not an issue? Diamond+ is currently full of highly optimized aggro lists.

Currently I'm cutting your 1-drop Spacers to be replaced with Starshaping, but haven't tested yet. Also how good is Culling Strike really? Very minimal amount of targets in the meta at the moment, even aggro stuff has multiple 4+ power stuff now.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elise Noxus spiders is a very good aggro deck ATM.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

srulz posted:

Hey, thanks for the useful post. Anyway I'm highly interested in Swain Leona, but I see 0 healings for you. Is this not an issue? Diamond+ is currently full of highly optimized aggro lists.

Currently I'm cutting your 1-drop Spacers to be replaced with Starshaping, but haven't tested yet. Also how good is Culling Strike really? Very minimal amount of targets in the meta at the moment, even aggro stuff has multiple 4+ power stuff now.

I run cull as a one off for a third fervor but culling strike is really good against ez targ decks.

Not convinced that Leona/swain is as good as tf/swain but its very fun

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sedisp posted:

I don't think its op but invoke not telling you what cards your opponent has is a real feel bad.

Invoke allowing control to shape a sideboard in real-time in a game without sideboards is definitely a thing.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Clarste posted:

I keep making the exact same mistake of thinking "oh, they're using direct damage removal, I'd better respond by buffing the target's health- wait, it just silenced them first, oops."

I made the mistake of using the spell on an enemy with spell shield thinking the silence would break it and then I could do 6 damage on it.

Turns out it doesn't

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
While I think Eternal did it best[*], the Discovery/Market/Celestial mechanic does a really good job of bringing some of the value of a sideboard to a Bof1 game.

The main problem is that Invoke is a 1-region mechanic.

[*] In Eternal, you have a market of 5 cards that you build as part of your deck that you can access with Merchant cards and other effects. So, it's much more like a sideboard than Invoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

when markets were introduced they were kind of cancerous since they were basically guaranteed draws for your most important cards and maybe a couple tech cards. i think i heard that they changed it and you can only put cards that arent in your main deck into your market now but i havent played it in awhile.