Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I tried this in the open beta at the start of the year and was kinda unimpressed with its "f2p friendliness" mostly involving hell grinding for daily/weekly rewards much like hearthstone...

but lately I've been in the mood for a card game and there's literally just an abyss beyond this, hearthstone, and MTG:A, and I don't particularly want to get back into the latter or return to HS.

I guess my questions are: How bad off am I gonna be coming into this half a year after launch? Is clearing dailies with a specific faction gonna be a slog of losing game after game with starter cards for weeks until I can build a real deck? Or is there some way I can just slot 40 dollars into the slot machine and have myself a tier 1 deck to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Okay I gave it a fair try for a day and I'm enjoying it more than I did the first go around. The mobile client working really well sold me pretty hard too, because I can go crank out games against the AI for my daily rewards when I have poo poo going on at work where nothing is happening but I might need to drop everything at a moment's notice. S'cool.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

the first few weeks kinda suck but if you're okay just "grinding" the lab of legends mode (which honestly it's a pretty fleshed out slay the spire-lite at this point i've spent a ton of time playing it for fun) for a few weeks you'll be able to craft literally multiple top tier decks and play whatever you want forever going forward

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I actually found it weird how fast this game was, talking with a friend last season. From what I've heard of Mtg and Hearthstone metas right now insane aggro decks with stupid amounts of power creep ending games on turn 3 is just In this year for card games, I guess.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

This game is full of absurdly long, unskippable animations. It is the number one worst aspect of it, from opening the game to opening packs to entering poc to moving between rounds and matches etc etc etc. Just slow as gently caress everywhere. Especially frustrating when slay the spire has had Go Fast support since like day one of that game.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

i just want to play illaoi but the garbage game wants me to spend 30 hours playing badly made decks first. lol

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

the duelyst re launch will enter beta any day now, i still have daith

No Wave posted:

This game isn't popular and isn't getting more popular but they keep doing expensive stuff like more and more elaborate cutscenes. People who have been through the end of service games can recognize a lot of the signs - lead designer leaving, changes in design philosophy, random hail marys like announcing PoC as your main focus, volatile changes in roadmaps, moving devs to other projects. So it's hard not to talk about it online... because where else are you going to talk about it.

yeah 100%, this is the death kneel for LoR. what a shame.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

CitizenKeen posted:

Is a successful card game with a non-predatory revenue model even possible?

The FFG games are good if you get in early and play for the life of the game, very reasonable total cost comparable to like an mmo subscription

Getting into them late is a nightmare though. you see people talking about how cheap the games are because you get exactly what you want and there's no gambling, then people will drop 800 dollars all at once on a game they've barely played for a complete collection due to FOMO.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Clarste posted:

Randomly unlocked heroes is dumb and I don't know what they were thinking. The entire point of this game is to play the heroes you want to play.

this

i had little desire to grind forever to potentially never unlock my preferred hero, then they announced the game going into eos

what a shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

still can't unlock illaoi, still not playing this patch