Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Downloaded this today, went through the challenges and a couple of practice games against friends. So then hopped into an expedition.

Turns out an expedition deck with 3 Fioras and every pump/barrier card you can grab is pretty strong. 7-2, one loss from me going functionally illiterate and treating things like magic, one from getting wrecked the old fashioned way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mayveena posted:

I was at the first MTG tournament attended by WotC that featured two recursive decks going at it. After over an hour as director I called the game. It was ridiculous and WotC had their mouths hanging open. You want the games to be over, trust me.

What?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What's a good site for figuring some starter+ decks going forward? I've been making GBS threads around with Demacia/Frost without spending wilds/currency but Silver II is proving to be a bit of a hurdle.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

srulz posted:

Just need to take care of the left-right sequence since stuff doesn't occur simultaneously but in sequence, but the Eye shows result after all the combat is done.
And you will lose if your Nexus goes to 0 first, so you cannot really lifesteal your way out of that.

Yeah let's not do the whole "I think this is how this works" that plagues digital ccgs.

I've had a turn where I'm at 2, they have Phantom Prankster and 2 1/1s. I attack with three overwhelm creatures, all lethal to any block. They blocked chump, chump, Phantom Prankster. At the end of combat I was at 0, they were at a significant negative, and the game ended in a tie.

If that was a bug, alright link me a comprehensive rulebook and I'll dig up the log to submit it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Any ccg that uses a bo1 format will have this forum.

I can only imagine how bad the official forum must be for Runeterra.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sedisp posted:

I have no idea how the word problem came out forum

Obviously "forum" is Greek for "you and I have a problem so we're gonna have a word fight about it."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is there an easy way in system to see how many wildcards an imported deck is from completion?

And is there any way to build a deck in system with cards you don't yet own so you can see how far you are from being done before you start buying random cards?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Nah once you finish your paid runs you can keep doing Expeditions for free, you just don't get rewards aside from bonus experience.

Sorry, could you explain this a little more? I've only done one expedition (double 7 win huzzah) but haven't used anymore of my tokens.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

After three expeditions in a week, it switches to “open play,” which don’t cost a token, but don’t give any rewards other than XP.

Neato. So if I'm looking to jam expeditions for a week I should save up tokens for it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

berenzen posted:

BREAD drafting is still a good idea to consider in LoR as much as in magic.

So useless and so old it would be allowed to vote?

At least become familiar with Quadrant Theory. Obviously it won't be one-to-one for Runeterra but like Who's The Beatdown the fundamentals heavily translate.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 12, 2020

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

goferchan posted:

Made it from Gold IV to plat mostly off of Kingcobweb's Fizz/Twisted Fate/Lee Sin deck :toot: I played a little bit of Quinn/Miss Fortune when I got bored and wanted to switch things up. You can't drop between tiers, right? Wanted to gently caress around with some other stuff but wanted to push to plat first

Correct by my understand and googling seems to confirm it. Once you reach a new rank IV you cannot go lower.

Twisted Fate question, are the fate cards random?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kooriken posted:

Nope, on play you pick your card and after he levels up the card progression is always Blue-Red-Gold

Thank you, don't have a TF and even up into late gold I kept seeing some of the dumbest card picks so I thought it was random.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

Expedition: Here’s a second Fiora.
Me, Very Intelligent: I’ll take the second Teemo.

Four expeditions in a row: Here have a third Fiora. What you want to try something else? Do you like losing? C'mon slap that Fiora right into those veins.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

srulz posted:

There's actually MMR for Expedition. That's why people usually have really good record for their first few runs.

I loving hate that. MMR was a stupid mistake.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DrOgreface posted:

I think Corina Control might be my least favorite deck to play against in any card game Ive played.

Honestly its just an iteration of stax that doesn't kill you through boredom. It's fine. Accept that if they see turn 9 its likely game and plan accordingly.

Vi could probably be squeaked on with the need bat a smidge. Not sure what I'd change, but she is ridiculously strong on her own.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DrOgreface posted:

If you queue burn into Corina, or Heimer Vi into burn, it doesn’t really feel like a game.

I don't have the latter, but I'm up to Platinum II on burn and I've only been playing 2 weeks. Burn vs Corina has a lot of interaction. Yes you are against a deck almost designed to beat you. Yes there are games where they have 5 "drain 3" spells and you can't close it out.

But there are a lot of games where the game ebbs and flows and you both end up staring down trying to figure out and anticipate each other. It's not like magic decks where in some matchups where you are playing your decks counter a 25% winrate is strong.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
There is a burn champion, it's just that she's in Bilgewater and works better paired with scouts.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hauki posted:

I don’t think some of y’all realize the broader implications of what you’re suggesting, like some of these would basically make the game unplayably bad if enacted as described

Game posters being bad at balance and theorycrafting? Why I never.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sedisp posted:

The big complaint in MTG right now is that opening hands are too consistent so I don't think you're correct.

It's that and to get those consistent +1 card extra hands you have to restrict your deck building along certain lines make it a very narrow field.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Heckin' sucks to lose at the final boss of an expedition because Shadowshift still isn't turning Tail of the Dragon back into Concussive Palm even though that's been in since it was released. I should've remembered but gently caress me for thinking cards in the same region work together

File a ticket and submit your log. You'll get your 7 wins reward.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Moa/Nauts is actually doing a bit better against burn than I thought it would and it absolutely dumps on CorVina.

Got a list? Friend went heavy in on Mao/Naut and is getting frustrated against aggro.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Shwqa posted:

From what little I have seen, so take with a grain of salt, you either want SI and PnZ or ionia and PnZ. Vi, mystic shot, thermo beam, and a few others are just too good to give up in control.

Vi is so good I'm hesitant to craft the third one because she has to be massaged with the nerf bat.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So, fun interaction with Claws of the Dragon. If you have Claws of the Dragon in play, cast Single Combat targeting your Claws of the Dragon and an opponent's creature, they recall your creature, and you respond with any spell, the stack will resolve like so.

Second Spell > Claws of the Dragon recalls > Single Combat casts, summoning Claws of the Dragon to participate.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

It... definitely seems like it should not work like that, but nice find

I'm with you, will be doing some testing later when I get done with work to see if single combat was the second Spell or if I misremembered.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I wonder if the reason that works is if it resolves all spells in a single step, and Claw is checked between # of spells cast and the actual effect of those spells, so it is counted as available for combat at both beginning and end of the check? Or it's wizards

From a MTG background it surprised me, but I suppose it could make sense given that card states are tracked between zones.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ShaneB posted:

After reaching finished collection I finished off Deep and Lee Sin stuff and holy poo poo Lee Sin decks are very hard to play well and Deep is loving fun. It just has such insane endgame.

There is no feeling like stabilizing at 1hp with Karma & Lux against a board of sea monsters and daddy Nautilus. If they pair him up with anyone but Maokai that is, Nautilus/Maokai is control's kryptonite.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sedisp posted:

The wording on claw is play not cast. So the second your hand sees you have played two spells in a given round any claws you have get summoned from hand.

Its triggering from your second spell not single combat and as claws is still on the field single target resolves as normal.

But it goes to hand from the recall effect in the middle of it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Speaking of which, I think it's incredibly bullshit that Maokai's level up is a guaranteed obliterate on every single champion in your deck. Considering the wording I originally thought it mean it didn't even touch champs so you'd have champs + 4 non-champs, but nope! A single 1/1 spidey boy can survive Maokai but not a hundred Tryndameres

If it didn't obliterate champions it would be awful due to champion spells shuffling champion copies back in.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Boxman posted:

I try playing decks that aren't ez/karma combo but nothing feels as good as durdling around for 12 turns then deciding its safe enough to go off and 20-0 my opponent.

Am I the baddie :ohdear:

Nah, so long as you practice at the deck and aren't pulling to the timer every turn.

While working through platinum I timed myself with karma/lux for a bit and learned I play too quickly (leading to some obvious dumb mistakes) and omfg people are so slow.

At least in diamond it seems people tend to have an idea what they're doing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

Playing Lux/Karma and the experimental Herald of Spring I jammed in there makes the burn matchup so much more winnable.

I could see that on the play. Does it negatively impact your other matchups and/or do anything against burn on the draw?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

boredsatellite posted:

Hmm honestly not sure if Karma thing is a nerf honestly, you tend to drop her late anyway and making her have 4hp makes it tricker to kill her

Mostly it is a nerf to going off with her when you drop her. The Grizzled bros nerf is a step further than expected but seems reasonable. The Rearguard hit seems silly when they're doing the right thing and adjusting Boomcrew but I'm sure internal testing says otherwise. Slotbot is, ugh.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Munkaboo posted:

well I definitely suck at expedition. I drafted two unyielding spirits and the spell that doubles your health and power and got zero wins. Focus on the curve folks.

The health/power doubler feels awful in everything I've ever tried putting it in. A slow spell that targets one of your things needs to do a lot more than that and/or cost less than 6 Mana.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I really expect the "steal your opponent's cards" mechanic to get adjusted soon. Some combination of making the cost reducers temporary or capped, drawing from the bottom of the deck to not invalidate one of Frejhold's things, making copies instead of stealing, revealing stolen cards, and/or making some card stealers fleeting.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

They won't do any more balance changes for a month now, unless they've changed their schedule and I missed it.

Soon doesn't mean right now, but rather in the arc of the game.

I would be very surprised if three months from now there is no change to the pilfer mechanic or cards.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sedisp posted:

I'll end

Please do.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sedisp posted:

ha ha kill yourself because of a disagreement about a video game

extremely normal brained joke my dude

loving hell end your stupid slapfight arguments, not kill yourself you slackjawed reprobate.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm trying to picture how a game would play out that way and I'm not really seeing it unless the burn deck gets a perfect draw and the opponent absolutely bricks their hand and plays nothing in response. I'm sure we all remember one game where we took three legion rearguards to the face on turn two while holding a bunch of six cost cards but probably not two games where that happened :v:

Burn's game plan was always 2 attacks and burn face. Attack 3 was late game and if they had stabilized or gained life closing things out was likely out of reach.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I truly think Pilfering needs to be bottom of deck, revealed, and cost reductions are until end of turn. Runeterra is a game heavily built around reading possible plays with available Mana in your opponent's factions.

Adding in having to play around every card from your deck, potentially reduced in cost up to 3 (or 6 in the Bilgewater mirror) is nutters. Playing to your potential outs that might not be in your deck anymore makes games last forever that could be surrendered much earlier.

Eh, we'll see how it goes. I'm playing gimmick fizz atm, so when my opponent drops a 15/16 Starlight Seer for 0 Mana I shrug, see if I can win next turn, and if not I surrender.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ShaneB posted:

Plat is where you have to git gud. I limped through gold 1 at like a 45% winrate over my last 25 games or so when I just needed to like 3-2 at worst. I'm currently off ladder after being at like P2 80 and falling back a ton.

I was really surprised when I hit diamond that it is still +-20 every game like platinum. Did gold have you gaining more standing than losing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ShaneB posted:

Yeah it's like -16+20. Once you hit Plat it's just +-20 through Diamond as well, until Master.

For perspective, at a 55% winrate you need to play about 200 games to get from the bottom of plat into diamond or from diamond to master.

Makes sense, I was at Diamond 2 when the patch dropped and am taking a break from it to toy around with other decks and let the meta settle a little. Karma Lux is still strong but need to adjust the answer package.