Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I picked this up last night and I'm enjoying it so far, but man coming from magic's priority system & timing I'm finding it hard to get used to LoR. I keep punting games for no reason other than I expect things to behave in ways they don't or expect to have priority between declaring attacks/blocks and before going to damage, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

No Wave posted:

The weirdest interactions are fast spells imo. If you use a fast spell during the "main phase" and it fully resolves, your opponent gets priority next. If you use a fast spell and your opponent casts a fast spell while your spell is on the stack, they'll still get priority after everything resolves.

This is most relevant with Relentless Pursuit, which is very strong when cast in this situation (as the opponent immediately gets to attack).

The other important thing is that if your opponent declares no blockers you wont get a chance to buff your guys, so if you plan to lethal you generally have to present it on attack.

I think the system is super cool, those are just the two things that confused me the most about it.

yeah, I don't dislike it per se, I'm just having to unlearn years of mtg conditioning

fast spells are really what keep tripping me up, I'm just used to having that response window in every phase

the fast spell during main phase with opponent responding and then getting to act again immediately also caught me pretty good my last expedition game, although a top-decked rhasa saved me and presumably made my opponent pretty salty since he started roping a bunch

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Stux posted:

they should make autopass mandatory or, preferably, lower the turn timer

I've had a couple games where I had like declared attackers or blockers and then passed priority to my opponent, nothing happened for 20-30 seconds and then suddenly we're like three turns ahead, my board is gone and my nexus is at half

maybe coincidence, but that hasn't happened since I turned off autopass

in other news I went 7-0 on my first expedition so I guess it's time to gently caress around and troll with teemo or something

Hauki
May 11, 2010

No Wave posted:

i had to fight through five teemo decks in my last expeditiom. The final boss used counterfeit copies on his teemo. Personally i think Karma is more fun and makes for crazier games (when offered).

I did get offered Teemo as the second pick, but I ended up going with bustedass barrier nonsense with Fiora & Shen. Undefeated with this one so far too, picked up extra copies of both champions right away.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Wollawolla posted:

The thing that trips me up once in a while is that the stack also resolves to completion once both players pass priority. I lost an expedition because I wasn’t able to Glimpse Beyond a chump blocker, resolve, and then Black Spear an unblocked attacker.

Yeah, I was trying to go for 'tricky' plays that usually lead to me not getting to do what I intended.

In other news went 6-x with my second expedition, lost the last one to like a million of the 5/4 can't block dudes and I'm almost positive I missequenced something in there. I also got a couple wins off Fiora's ability which was fun, and then my prize box netted me a Fiora for my collection. I ran a few games of constructed last night with the starter decks and did alright, but I don't have anything resembling an actual constructed deck and I'm kinda loathe to start blowing wild cards & crystals without knowing what I want to play. The deck builder/collection interface also makes it a colossal pain to see what I have and how close I am to actually building anything at all.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I'm like halfway through vault 10 off the back of quests & expeditions today, is it worth trying to push farther or should I just take my free expedition entry & call it a day?

I know I saw a graphic of the vault rewards, but uh, I don't remember where that was now.

edit: got it, so it's just like ~1.5 extra rares per level past 10? Doesn't seem that hot given how much the xp requirement ramps up.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 4, 2020

Hauki
May 11, 2010

on the draw in expeditions, dropped 10 power by turn 2 and swung in, another 9-11? power on board by my second attack and my opponent just scooped immediately :getin:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Imagined posted:

Is there any consensus on the best site to browse and construct decklists?

We've got sort of an embarrassment of riches to choose from right now:

https://decksofruneterra.com/
https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks
https://rankedboost.com/legends-of-runeterra/deck-builds/
https://www.runeterrafire.com/
https://outof.cards/legends-of-runeterra/

I tend to go with Mobalytics right now because I like that you can see how many upvotes a particular deck has received.

Yeah, it’s kinda frustrating, and then you get different people crossposting the same lists to every site under numerous variations of the same name, like manuS’ N/I aggro list for example.

I just want a clear frontrunner with some cohesion & consensus, much like the democratic primary.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Decks of Runeterra is the best. Mobalytics is the worst.

I like decks of runeterra overall, and a lot of the better streamers seem to post directly there, but they definitely have some bizarre formatting issues on occasion. Also, the far right column of mouse-over card spoilers continually pop up half outside the bounds of my screen no matter the resolution, scaling or size of the window or which device I view it on.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah Ashe looks sweet and I’d like to try it, but I haven’t opened any naturally and I’ve still got weird hangups about just getting the cards I want courtesy of ~loot box card games~

I guess I should finish my expeditions for the week and see what I open there, champions are my biggest hurdle for trying anything new at this point. Otherwise I’ve got a decent number of C/R wildcards saved up at this point for only having played a few days, the game does feel pretty generous in that regard.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Went 0 wins with Garen/Darius, I knew it wasn't a great deck but I expected like, a couple out of it. Had a bunch of above average dudes and some decent tricks, but just didn't get there. Finished that run with Elise/Draven aggro with 7/ wins, had a pretty solid draft that basically turned into the constructed SI/N aggro list by the last match. Got a champ wild card and a bunch of other poo poo for my trouble.

Went 4/? with 2 Ashe/2 Fiona (and a Shen for the last game I think?) right afterwards, I thought it was a good draft and was expecting more out of it, but I had two poor hands that I mulliganed into godawful shitheaps and just kinda keeled over to SI/N the first loss and a pile of elusive dudes on the second loss.

Second draft of that run was a 7/ win 2 Heimer/2 Karma, a ton of elusive guys (4 Greenglade Duo, 4 Kinkou Lifeblade, 2 Yusari, 2 Windfarer Hatchling) and a pile of random (read: mostly bad) spells, but elusive pulled me out several wins and the cataclysm spell swung a few more. Never saw Karma in any of my games, but Heimer shat out enough bots for me to tie up the ground and race and/or ate removal that would've dealt with my actual threats. Got another Lucian (eh) but also got 2 epics and a rare I needed out of the capsule.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Oh, I also started ranked today with a bad version of Naiman's mistwraith list (mostly because I haven't made the requisite champs, so I'm doing like... 2 Elise, 2 Zed?, 1 Hecarim), but went like 7-2 with it anyway. Lots of SI/N aggro, lots of close games that were like low single digit nexus health on either side. I also subbed something in for Ledros since I hadn't crafted him yet, and I was swapping around a couple of the random spell slots & the singleton hapless aristocrat just to try out some other things.

One of my losses was to some elnuk pile that was kinda hilarious, it was like, braum & all the copy a card spells, he ramps into an early troop of elnuks and hits another troop plus 3 bull elnuks off the bat. I trade a bunch of stuff, put him to 4, Rhasa him down to 1 dude & he slams a hearthguard end of turn, then another troop next turn and hits like 4 more buffed elnuks and just runs over me the next couple turns.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

Is there a goon Discord for this?

not that I know of, but probably should be

as a counterpoint to the other comments on the curve thing in expeditions, I absolutely attempt to draft a solid curve, mostly around 2-3-4 with a decent number of 5+ depending on the deck/champs/game plan. I won't worry about it that much early on, just prioritize the strongest cards/potential at first and I'll definitely go off curve for like, a big tempo play or something else difficult to answer, but in the latter half of the draft portion or on my swaps I try to smooth it out as best I can. I also tend to hard mull for early plays, if I don't see a solid 1/2 drop I'll try to at least have a big turn 3 in my opening hand, ideally a creature and suitable spell, either removal or something to protect it. This definitely depends on what you're up against, but generally I see a lot of aggressive lists in expedition, so I feel it's pretty important to be able to do something on board as consistently as possible.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

yo has anyone done some dumb sipz control with like heimer & a bunch of solid removal and a few bustedass si cards?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

njsykora posted:

I got to Silver.

Silver was virtually nothing but the meta SI/Nox. aggro list for me l o l

In other news, why did I think today was Tuesday?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Firstborn posted:

I've been climbing with this deck. It has so much anti-meta stuff in it.
https://decksofruneterra.com/decks/jlXqZk6z

It feels really good to play once you get the idea of the deck. Highlights include drawing 3-4 cards off Assessor, giving your 5/1 Quick Attack with Drummer to destroy priority targets, Rimefang making people surrender... Control is my favorite CCG archetype, and this is the first control deck I've played in this game that hits all the right things for me.

It avoids the trap cards in Frel, too (buff Avalanche). It's a really tight deck and I don't think I'd sub a single card.
Here's a twitch stream of the creator playing the deck if you need some help with the plays: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/550787092

Huh, I was watching tides(?) or someone play this last night, a lot of the individual cards don’t look like where I want to be on face (aka gloryseeker in a format full of vile feast, etc.), but the net sum seemed to work out pretty well.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I just opened two kalista back to back last night out of region boxes, so I was hoping for some good news today. Maybe I’ll mess around with it anyways, but she looks real bad against ez etc.

guts and bolts posted:

My man I am not a pro. This is super helpful. Thank you. I actually am super into people just generally posting more decks and deck tech in general, because my inane effortposting looks embarrassing otherwise

Nah, I like random effort posting for pretty much the same reasons you just enumerated

Hauki
May 11, 2010

DrOgreface posted:

I have switched my region to PnZ

hell, same

because it was my only region that wasn’t 8+ yet

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Buller posted:

The real bullshit is that barrier negates lifelink.

I wondered why the hell I died the other day when I was blocking with a 12/11 lifelink dude that should've kept me out of lethal range

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Welp, went 0 wins with a solid looking hecarim/zed draft with solid removal and plenty of synergy, then went 7 wins right after with uhh, Lucian/Darius/garen? that had plenty of suspect cards but I managed to keep eking out wins one after another. Rally actually won me a few games that I would’ve 100% lost without back to back swings. No real allstars or much interaction, just slapping dudes down & pushing face.

This was all done at like 1am trying to hit 10 for the free token, so of course half my opponents ran the clock on every single goddamn phase of the game.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

decided to gently caress around in expedition after my 7-0 earlier and just got a dude to 288 mushrooms before he blew up

:sweep:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

in other news I have exactly 29999 dust & about 30 ea. C/U wildcards saved up after this last expedition but I haven’t really played much constructed in weeks - what’s fun & competitive that’s not just mistwraiths 2.0?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

elnuks are real dumb in draft right now, like all of my recent losses are due to my opponent just making GBS threads out 45 p/t worth of dudes on turn 5

my other two losses were from catastrophe, speaking of

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Anyone have a good Hecarim shell?

yep, start with

3 - Hecarim

add the rest to taste

more seriously though, like what are you asking for? He closes games on his own, he doesn't need anything in particular in order to function and there's a bunch of different decks that jam him

Hauki
May 11, 2010

jesus elnuks are so dumb

also its literally the only deck anyone ever plays in expeditions now

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Overall I think the patch looks pretty good for the health of the game, but we’ll have to see it in action I guess

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mistaya posted:

I got absolutely crushed by a kalista/spiders deck earlier today that made me very curious. Has anyone got a solid deck listing for her yet?

I’ve been playing kalistocrats for the past couple days and it’s pretty fun - matches seem fairly polarized so far though, there’s a couple things I just can’t interact with well and I stomp on some other decks. I think I’m like 7-3 with it in ranked so far.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Servaetes posted:

Ashe and frostbite decks where I have four rimetusk shamans and rimefang wolves is very legal and very cool. Shoutouts to my 6th game where Ledros killed someone by dying incessantly for like five or six rounds.

I honestly think frostbite is some seriously busted rear end crap, but it could just be my overwhelming contempt for control decks in any card game

Haha, I was just saying the same thing earlier while watching a friend pilot a 3 Ashe expedition. Only 2 shaman, but 4 wolf as well. Made for some pretty busted turns. Went 7-1 total, loss was to a heimer/ezreal with loads of removal.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

cool, just got a fatal client error on game 7 of an expedition with a likely win the following turn and couldn't make a play or assign blockers, quit out to try to reconnect and was greeted with a defeat screen by the time I got back in like 4 seconds later

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, thinking about it I see a pretty wide variety of decks in games 6 & 7, win or lose, which indicates that there’s not just one dominant strategy to me. There was that one week where literally like every game was elnuks, but besides that I see a good range of strategies and pairings.

I’ve also just forced dumb poo poo on occasion out of idle curiosity because I’d already gotten my 7 and the dumb poo poo might be just as successful as the tryhard run.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

drat like I get if limited isn’t your thing but you can just concede them both instantly and still walk away with a free champ

Hauki
May 11, 2010

piL posted:

Drafting is my preferred method of playing MTG, and enjoyed it at the beginning of LOR, but without new sets, table dynamics, or local meta, I found it got kind of stale.

the social/table dynamics is what gets me, but mtg: arena suffers from the same thing frankly: the draft meta always ends up 'solved' much faster in a digital format because you're not drafting against actual people concurrently, you can just force your way into a reliably good deck against a script that seemingly can't value things dynamically

No Wave posted:

I don't think any of the quests take very long... if it's really something you want to get done immediately you can do it vs AI (I've done this for overwhelm quests).
oh, yeah, if i have a quest i want done in any particular time frame i just make a pile to do exactly that and jam it against the ai

beer &/or weed help with the monotony of this strategy

Hauki fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 2, 2020

Hauki
May 11, 2010

luv 2 get persistently roped on ladder

Hauki
May 11, 2010

super loving thrilling getting roped every action of every game today

Hauki
May 11, 2010

my secret to going 7-0 with nox was getting offered like 5 legion rearguards & reckless trifarians, plus a couple trifarian gloryseekers and trifarian hopefuls

Hauki
May 11, 2010

No Wave posted:

The thing is his flip condition seems really easy to reach. ESPECIALLY as an SI deck, 12/12 They Who Endures isnt unusual and you'd only have to play about 5-6 tossers on top of that.

He's designed so that an optimal deck won't be exceptionally slow... most of your progress towards his quest is going to come from deaths.

You still get four turns to win afterwards and four turns is a lot of time in this game tbh... very hard to judge to see how it'll play out. Annoying that he's so good with Elise, cool that he's theoretically good with ephemerals.

lol

Hauki
May 11, 2010

tossers

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Anyone have a Kalista deck they are into or think looks good?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Did they nerf point runner? I had one yesterday or something that was 1500xp, today it's the exact same requirements but only 1000xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

can anyone else just like, not complete quests at all since the patch? I have 3 saved up that all counted up to x-1/x as I did the requisite things, but absolutely won't complete

played three games in a row with them sitting at 17/18, 5/6, 11/12, but they've just stopped counting