Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sure why not ground floor let's go.

I spent most of my misspent youth on Yu-Gi-Oh so I never actually got hardcore into magic. I tried Hearthstone for a while but I felt like any time I tried to get 'good' at that game what was good changed (also they never gave my boy Paladin the time of day except for the ~20 seconds when Quartermuster was viable).

I actually think the voice-work sounds fine given its contemporaries, and there's not only a lot of it, but a lot of budget in this game, period. It's not hard to see a lot of work went into it.

I've mostly just been tooling around with the prebuilt Demacia/Freijord deck while trying to get a feel for the game. Had some really good matches (managing to force a surrender vs someone who had me at a 2 health Nexus with a nasty Shadow Isles/Noxus deck with a combo of Level 2 Tyrndamere + They Who Endure + For Demacia! that I'd been holding onto until the very end) and really BAD matches (someone abusing Ashe's level-up effect to basically steamroll past blockers and really screw me)

I might start playing ranked once more guides start getting put together about how the various factions synergize. I might try and scan through the cards later today to try and form a quick post for what each faction looks like at a glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Noxus' whole gimmick these days is "sure they're an expansionist imperialist military-centric empire but they're very progressive and meritocratic despite doing so and the literal Evil Tyrant is actually a marked improvement on the last Evil Tyrant", so this doesn't surprise me that much in the grand scheme.

Always glad to see more normalization tho.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

You can't get any more than 3 of any given card. It stops you from crafting additionals if you have 3, and any you pick up vis a vis capsules/chests/etc either get rerolled or turned to shards depending.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sjonkel posted:

I'm assuming the different regions or whatever they are called are sort of mimicking the colors in Magic? If so, do the different regions have different things/strategies they try to do, and what regions work well together?

These aren't one to one and are just my opinions since I haven't played M:TG in a hot sec, but:

Demacia is closest to White: Low-power, low-cost units but has ways to keep them on the field and a lot of them have synergistic buffs to the point where if Demacia has board control it's downright terrifying.

Freijord is closest to Green: A lot of reliance on cost-effective fairly huge midgame units, their board control looks a lot like having one, huge sticky person on the field and crushing all attempts to establish momentum.

Ionia and Piltover/Zaun are closest to Blue: Ionia is very much closer to classic Blue Denial Strats in terms of completely dismantling your enemy's offensives (while having a heavy reliance on Flyers aka Elusives), while Piltover/Zaun are very much closer to more usual spell-spam.

Noxus is closest to Red: Pure aggro, has the best ways to sweep the board clear or do direct damage to the Nexus, a lot of Noxus decks require establishing a lead and then never letting go of it, ever.

Shadow Isles are closest to Black: Like Demacia, they have a plethora of low-cost units, but they also have access to the most amount of hard removal in the game at current, and those smaller monsters are usually used for sacrifice plays for bigger moves/monsters. I can't remember if M:TG has anything like Ephemeral but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I could not get a Teemo deck rolling in expeditions last week. Are there certain pickups I should make to make sure it works?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Had my longest match ever this morning. Dawnspiders versus a SI/Noxus deck. It went like 17 turns before I was able to just outlast and outswarm. Got the Shen emote (which I guess people are using as 'GG' shorthand now) before they surrendered when I had lethal up.

Honestly that felt really good to win, it was a loving slugfest. I was down two Dawnspeakers and was basically relying on recycling the 4/4 drop you get with Cursed Keeper. Really rough match.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The problem with the Detain/Purify strat as interesting as that interaction is ain a vaccuum is that you're essentially committing 7 mana over two cards to remove a piece from the board. It's literally less cost-effective than Vengeance is pretty much every way and that's probably intentional.

e: if Detain was slightly cheaper, maybe at 3 or 4 (3 is absolutely overkill, mind), then this would be a fine strat because you're essentially trading hand advantage for the ability to spare a couple extra mana that you might need that turn. But it's literally exactly on par with Vengeance in Mana Cost but requires you commit an extra step to it, which makes it ultimately way worse.

e2: Yeah just doing a think on that, I think to make that combo a viable alternative to Vengeance you would need to reduce total combo cost to 5 instead of 7, which means you're either pushing Purify to a 1-mana spell/Detain to a 4 mana spell or Detain to a 3-mana spell, and I don't think either would be good for the health of the game.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 29, 2020

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

breaks posted:

I think Thresh was the other one I was thinking of, but it wasn't quite as much of a wholesale gently caress this card as the Kalista change was.

A very accurate portrayal of Kalista in League, as it turns out :v:

Has anyone tried out a spellcast heavy Demacia/Piltzaun deck focusing on Ez and Lux? I feel like between the two you'd get a massive amount of free spells which both would want and can just cast spells all day while letting both ramp to an obscene degree. Lux doesnt have much base support but between the rest of P/Z's spellcasting and the Mageseeker archetype in Demacia I feel like there's some untapped synergy there.

e:

DurosKlav posted:

I think I'll stop playing until they balance elusive more. Its so much fun having every game just be the same elusive cards.

Yeah, I'm really tired of seeing the Dusk and Dawn + Empyrean combo.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah the problem with Elusive is that the vast majority of Elusive units are jam packed into one faction that already has a lot of poo poo going for it (Ionia). For contrast Demacia has exactly One Elusive card. If you give more factions either more access to elusive or more access to its natural counters (Challenger, etc) then Elusive becomes weaker without having to negatively impact those cards directly.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

mistaya posted:

There are a distinct lack of cards that manipulate the enemy hand, I wonder if that's going to be something you see in one of the un-released regions. (Things like, you and the enemy both discard your hands and redraw three, or stealing a card from the enemy hand, or forcing the enemy to discard a card.) It would certainly help with some of the SI spam-draw tactics if you could cull the enemy hand once it gets completely out of control.

e: now that I think about it I'd bet that's going to be a thing for Bilgewater since there is absolutely NO chance they don't put Twisted Fate in. Some nasty 9 mana "you both discard your entire hand" slow spell.

Either Bilgewater or Bandle City will be my bet. I wonder if they'll shuffle Teemo to Bandle City when they eventually release it and put a new P/Z champ in his place. There's plenty of other champs that work there.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

My expeditions weren't amazing but I think I'm compelled to build an Ashe-based Freijord deck. Frostbite is a good keyword and frustrating people with it feels fun. Maybe Ashe/Karma?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If you're going to complain about unit buffing, I don't know why you would pick Omen Hawk and Inspiring Mentor and not, say, Avarosan Hearthguard. A 5/5 for 5 that gives permanently +1/+1 to everything else in your deck is loving rough and, unlike the other two, not a complete dead draw later in the game.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

guts and bolts posted:

There're a lot of plays that are just super efficient and fast, and it's really fun to play, especially when Double Attack is just straight up shredding their Nexus. Once Lucian is online, every Glimpse Beyond, Ravenous Butcher, Chronicler of Ruin, stuff you can summon with Fading Memories, etc. also just reads "and Rally." Again, I'm not saying it's a meta-changer, but it actually kinda works as intended to work, and if they're not ready for it they die reeeeeal quick.

e:
whoooooaaaahahaha I just had a game where I was able to Fading Memories Senna and Chronicler of Ruin Lucian, wound up hitting Back to Back next turn after a Ravenous Butcher. This shell is fun as heck yo, that's two Elusive aggro decks that got smoked so far. I think I'm gonna just drop the wildcards to finish the deck completely. Brightsteel Protector has been surprisingly useful so far, too, I'm pleased

Wanna throw this out as a build for the thread? Lucian's one of my favorite league champs but I haven't gotten a chance to make a deck in which he's cool and relevant.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Kalista being really good (presumably in closed beta, as someone said iirc) and then being nerfed into uselessness is actually very on brand for a League of Legends game :v:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Wondering if that Lux buff makes a Demacia/PnZ Lux/Ez deck focusing on spell spam viable now.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I suppose if no one else is gonna try and make Ez/Lux playable I might as well give it a go.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Chernabog posted:

Since I got 2X Ezreal I crafted one more and started experimenting. First I started with SI for all the the targeted removal but it became too SI oriented, so I moved on to Lux + Ezra, I really like it so far. Demacia obviously doesn't have that many enemy-target spells but Lux basically completes Ezreal's condition on her own and the Demacia buffs work really well with elusives.

What's your deck look like, compared to guts and bolts'?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

guts and bolts posted:

Words about Ez/Lux

I think this is a good start but I think Stand Alone might be too niche here. I think you also at least want Mageseeker Conservator and Mageseeker Investigator in the mix here as things you can play while waiting on Ez/Lux. I think this is exactly the right deck where Investigator shines and while the pool of spells Conservator can pull from is a bit of a crapshoot he's a 1/1 chump blocker (in addition to the Jury Rigs you'll hopefully just be discarding to get scuttlers out) that can theoretically get a useful spell that'll instantly level Lux up on his own. I'm not entirely sure I like Radiant Strike at 3 - it's a good, cheap buff, which you want with this deck, but if you draw too many you're kind of in a bitch of a spot.

My recommendations, which might be off base but might be worth looking at:
- Stand Alone
- 1 Radiant Strike
- 1 Progress Day (not sure about this, but needing to cut somewhere)
- 1 Jury Rig? (Possible cut if we're adding more chump blockers from Demacia)
+ 2 Mageseeker Conservator
+ 2 Mageseeker Investigator

This is all just spitballing but I think you get enough support in there for your stars with those picks and cut down on spells that don't immediately advance your win conditions (Ez online, Lux online, Ridiculously Buff Assembly Bot)

e: My rational for cutting a second progress day is that if you're already running Rummage that if you haven't won by the time you need both Progress Days you probably aren't going to, this deck runs hot and while Demacia doesn't really have any good draw tech to work with you still have plenty of fuel.

e2: Obviously this doesn't do much for Fearsomes which is probably this deck's biggest weakness by a mile after the Elusive nerf, since a lot of Fearsomes are 3+. I think there's room to workshop it further but I think this isn't going to hard win against Fearsome SI unless you get a god draw.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 18, 2020

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah, when I had typed that I forgot that Radiant Strike on Assembly Bot is essentially a +2/+2 for the round and +1/+1 permanent which is insane value. I still think finding cuts somewhere to try and fuel Lux through use of Conservator is a good idea but shuffling out a Barrier and Stand Alone for the Investigators was probably the proper call.

Today's FFXIV patch day so I won't be doing MUCH testing but I have more than enough Wildcards to put this deck together and throw it at some people to figure out where best to optimize..

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Wangsbig posted:

the rally spell must be removed from the game

You mean the spell that only one faction has access to and its the faction without any other major ways to keep up any sort of aggression? That card?

Nah.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

No Wave posted:

Every faction can have access to rally... Thats how the game is set up.

The point is that Relentless Pursuit (and the majority of the other Rally cards) are Demacia-exclusive unless you're running Katarina/Shunpo. And 1) Demacia does not really have any other good offensive keywords (exactly 1 Elusive, no Fearsomes, no Overwhelms, only Quick Attackers are Lucian/Senna) and 2)

hit button posted:

but but katarina and shun-po can be viable, honest. :(

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Honestly the best way to drop Hec I've found and not immediately eat a counter is just to drop him when you don't have the token after your opponent has already blown their wad. Hecarim generates so much value that attacking immediately at the turn switch is absolutely a viable strat.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Not sure if anyone here cares, but it sounds like a bunch of people have already found a bunch of dummied out audio in the game for additional Champs/Regions, most of its available here.

Sounds like the first expansion regions will be Targon and Bilgewater, with a bunch of new champions added. Bilgewater will have Gangplank, MF, Fizz, TF, and Tahm Kench, while Targon will have Leona, Taric, Diana, Zoe, and Aurelion Sol. Looks like Quinn and Shyvana will be added to Demacia as well, and Vi and Viktor to P&Z, Sejuani to Freijord? Skimming through these.

Not sure if that's all coming at once or not but it would be interesting to see.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 19, 2020

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Swain makes a Noxus/PnZ deck that isn't Jinx/Draven viable. Neat.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

oh yeah ok draven\ez too i guess.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sonic Wave/Resonating Strike seems like a really potent and powerful card(cards?). 3 mana for Challenger and 2/0, both at burst speed? Seems pretty rad.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 24, 2020

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Lordy Jesus I'm already dreaming up a Lee Sin Yasuo Stun/Recall deck. Maybe toss Katarina in there too since her buff is super nice.

Recall looks fun in PnZ/Ionia scrapheap style stuff with Assembly Bot. Two for one spells and you can double dip on summon effects, possibly with a discount to boot. It's a cute trick that reminds me of Glimpse.

If you're already going Noxus for that deck: Why play Katarina in that deck when you could play Swain? :getin:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Cast X spells as a level up condition and becoming Elusive AND Untargetable is gonna play hell with some spell-heavy Ionia and possibly PnZ decks.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ShaneB posted:

I think a big thing people are forgetting is that the card draw in this game isn't that significant. A lot of these new mechanics want you to be casting spells, and there's not a ton of ways to get into that.

I gently caress around with an Ez/Lux deck that's all about casting as many spells as often as possible and PnZ especially just has a shitload of ways to essentially get free value out of spells with some minor draw value depending on what you're casting (Progress Day and Stattik Shock are the big ones). It's not going to be powerful in a lot of decks but in a dedicated spellslinger deck he's going to be a goddamn nightmare.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Firebert posted:

Fizz himself looks hard to deal with but the payoff for leveling him besides the big stat boost (adding a chum the waters to your hand but you have to pay full retail for it) seems low. Good base for a Bilgewater aggro deck!

Ez has to pay full retail for every Mystic Shot he generates and while saving 2 mana is way easier than 4 I don't think the downside is as great as you're thinking it'll be.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Powder Barrel strats look fun but GP is gonna be monumentally hard to level, which I guess is fair for basically summoning a Funsmith every round? I expect him to get a buff for how many rounds he'll need to be damaging the Nexus.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

d0grent posted:

I dont think it'll be that hard just slow. Bilgewater is already showing a lot of easy ways to damage the nexus, and you can always add some overwhelm into your deck to seal the deal. So it should be fairly easy but the earliest you can level him is turn 10 where most games are pretty close to decided anyway.

I think the slowness of GP's leveling is going to kill him stone dead for a lot of decks, in all honesty. I expect that 5 rounds will be reduced to 3 pretty quickly.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Warning Shot or Parley into Riptide Rex is going to be absolutely loving insane. 7 instances of 2 for 14 damage total is about as an effective board clear as you can get. Doubly so if you set up either Syren or Funsmith so that you go from 14 to a whopping 21 damage.

e: Bilgewater/PnZ is probably going to be one the Day 1 Hot poo poo decks. Either GP or MF + Ez. Mark my words.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I guess I'm gonna make a Swain/Yasuo deck because I'm a big loving moron who loves the combo setup you can get from those two champs. God help me.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

So in anticipation I put together a not-so-short list of every card between the two regions that might have a use for advancing your wincons of doing out of combat damage or stunning/recalling units to get Swain and Yasuo levelled up. This doesn't include usual picks for the sake of covering secondary problems that might arise (eg Deny in Ionia), this is strictly cards that advance one of your two major win conditions: Yasuo or Swain. Wanna see what other people think here.

NOXUS:
Blade's Edge: Fast speed, can snipe some weenies and can do 5 damage w/Ravenous Flock if you have both in hand, which for 2 spell mana is a steal.
Guile: Not very useful as a slow. I don't think it's even run in current Yasuo decks which would make it unideal here.
Ravenous Flock: Mandatory. 4 damage for 1 mana on one of two conditions we can easily set up.
Blood for Blood: Potentially useful if we have a good target.
Crimson Aristocrat: 2 mana 2/2 with an ally buff setup. Fulfills Swain condition and gives us a body with a buff we can basically drop whenever to have it be meaningful.
Crimson Disciple: Combos obviously well with Crimson Aristocrat, Nexus damage fulfills Swain condition.
Death Lotus: Potential good combo with some of Vlad's units and the new Aurok Glinthorn. Potential wombo of fulfilling two wincons at once, and it's decent anti-spider tech.
Legion Grenadier: 2 mana 3/1 that fulfills Swain wincon on death. Seems pretty acceptable?
Transfusion: 2 for 2/2 with the cost being dealing 1 damage to an ally is a fairly reasonable buff, better when you have something like Disciple to drain from.
Arachnoid Sentry: 3 mana 3/2 with a stun rider. Already goes in most Noxus/Ionia Yasuo decks. Easy pick.
Death's Hand: 3 damage for 3 mana, 2 of which hits an enemy and 1 which hits the Nexus. Not shabby at all.
Noxian Fervor: Could theoretically see a combo with Legion Grenadier in which you can basically just do 5 damage to their nexus for 5 mana, but probably a bit volatile?
Crimson Awakener: Midrange unit that deals damage to other allies. Fills Swain's level condition but doesn't do much else? Not a bad midrange body, though.
Decisive Maneuver: Stun and +2 at Fast isn't bad but it's not amazing either.
Intimidating Roar: A 5 mana slow like this is probably overcosted considering you probably won't have spare spell mana to break it out early. If we had sideboard/sidedecks it'd be a great sidedeck addition eg. anti-spiders/other weenie rush tech.
Legion General: Free stats for fulfilling Yasuo's level up condition. Worth considering in any Noxus/Ionia deck.
Aurok Glinthorn: 6/6 for 6 that stuns all damaged units. Aside from obviously making Yasuo's win condition far easier to achieve, this gives Death Lotus a nice niche and is a good on-curve body to drop.
Minotaur Reckoner: Decent board clear in combination with Ravenous Flock, but competes with space with the much better Aurok Glinthorn.
The Leviathan: Does 3 damage to the nexus at round start which makes it a good secondary win condition of keeping it alive and letting it just burn down what's left if you've been foiled up until this point, and can theoretically generate some late game burst potential with a levelled Swain.

IONIA:
Fae Bladetwirler: Decent low-level powerhouse, already run in current decks.
Retreat/Return: Decent combat trick but doesn't advance wincon unless combined with a unit that can stun (see: Concussive Palm).
Steel Tempest: Obviously.
Concussive Palm/Tail of the Dragon: Deck the spell but leave the follower. 4 mana to drop a 3/2 body with stun isn't great for curve (as I understand it) but is fairly solid value for board control. Tail isn't that strong otherwise.
Will of Ionia: Obvious pick. You're probably running Will anyway because you're an Ionia deck.
Dragon's Rage: Slow spell, requires striking, and probably strictly worse than dropping Yone for the same mana if you don't have any spell mana to spare, but it's not a bad option to have in reserve and if Dragon's Rage doesn't finish the enemy unit, an on-board Yasuo probably will. I don't think striking counts for Swain's level up but if it does that makes it more useful.
Yone, Windchaser: Stunning two units on a lategame board is usually enough to swing for a win anyway, but combined with everything else should be icing on the cake.
Minah Swiftfoot: Like Yone but requires Yasuo to be around to finish the enemies off. Still a solid endgame unit.

I'm still trying to mentally conceptualize this deck but if people wanna give thoughts I'm open to them.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Swim just made a good point on his stream that this is probably anti-synergy. Death Lotus only hits battling units, which are most likely going to be damaged or die from combat anyway, meaning Aurok is either going to hit those enemies anyway or those enemies would be dead from the damage, which doesn't really mean synergy as much as just how Death Lotus works as a ping.

I don't fully 'get' it yet but I do know how clunky Death Lotus feels to try and actually play, so aside from edge cases like using it to pop a barrier in battle with an enemy that will then get hurt and ALSO not die (so basically Knife's Edge or any other ping) I can see it ending up being underwhelming.

Ah gently caress i forgot about the battling condition. Yeah in that case Lotus is garbage unless you desperstely need a cheap way to get a Swain levelup. Shame.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

OxMan posted:

Any recommendations on easily attainable newbie decks?

My recommendation if you're just starting out is

- Switch your active region to Demacia. Demacia is probably the most well-rounded region and is fairly simple to understand as their main wincon comes from sinple midrange beatdown.
- Do all your tutorials for easy XP. I don't remember how many of the tutorials you're required to do before the game lets you loose but these are all easy XP which is useful for getting started collecting rewards on the Region Map.
- Spam the Freijord/Demacia deck in normals or ranked. I don't know if the Friejord/Demacia deck is the strongest of the baseline starter decks but for my money it's the most forgiving of mistakes and misplays, while getting you comfortable with two of the simpler regions.
- Collect all the daily rewards for the next week. You'll get a Freijord deck centered around Ashe and the Frostbite tag which should fill out your Freijord collection nicely.
- Your goal with Demacia for a decent starter deck is some variant of Demacia Elites. This takes advantage of the fact a lot of the biggest cost stuff you need is already present in the D/F Starter deck - primarily your heavy hitter units like Garen and Cirthia the Bold. As you can see some people choose to sub in Lux to take advantage of high cost spells you'll eventually be using (Redoubled Valor, Judgement, For Demacia!) but isn't needed for basic Elites. These two examples are just some way people put the concept together, once you start collecting other Demacia cards you can start swapping stuff in and out at your leisure, and once you get the Ashe starter deck you can mix and match parts of the Demacia/Freijord starter deck to taste.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Can confirm its up in the Google Play store, too. Just downloaded it.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Evil Canadian posted:

So far a bit disappointed on swain, like yeah lots of stuff going on but in the end he's kinda underwhelming and forces you to build your deck in a way that isn't all too amazing. Doesn't scream "DEAL WITH ME NOW" like a Garen or the new miss fortune does.

That said having a lot of fun with Maokai/Nautilus sea monsters. The deck basically builds itself with only a tiny bit of variance but its strong. If you can luck out on treasures they can decide the game on the spot.

What are you building for Swain, decksise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Evil Canadian posted:

tried swain/sejuani midrange, swain/draven noxus aggro, and swain/GP powderkegs. All very underwhelming and get crushed by the usual staple decks.

I think Swain is a good card but hes harder to splash with decks that he doesn't explicitly synergize with. I'm gonna take Swain/Yasuo for a spin but Swain/Vlad I would think should also be good considering you're probably already using most of Vlad's followers.