Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Got into the prerelease yesterday. Game seems interesting. I really like the symmetrical effects of the game state, though I'm still getting caught up in some of the finer points of play.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

P&Z feel pretty good as a faction. Jinx in general feels like a 'kill this or lose' champ, because the card advantage you get off of her is great, and can pump out a ton of damage in the late game. Been pairing it with Ionia to use a bunch of quick attack units to quickly tempo out opponents and use direct damage abilities to clear the way.

I think that P&Z Jinx could combine well with Draven Noxious for a strong burn deck. That uses overstated minions to beat your opponent down.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 27, 2020

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You probably won't ever run into it unless you're really turboing through your deck. The games don't usually last much longer than 10 turns from my experience.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

7-0ed both expeditions. The extra 2k exp is nice and I think puts me on track to get a diamond weekly chest.

Demacia seems really good in expeditions. Challenger is really powerful and Lucian+Senna will straight up dominate.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

We're in the first 5 days of release. Everyone is running around with incomplete collections and very few champions as yet. Aggro decks are always incredibly cheap and strong to play during initial releases, including expansions. You just need to throw together a pile of cheap, overstatted minions that excel at going face and just trying to be the beatdown. It's way harder to gently caress up combo and control decks, because they require a lot of tuning to be effective. Ionia is a very strong faction, but I've been beating a lot of the ionia burn decks by running P&Z and just killing their evasive minions with burn spells, and countering their own spells.

Give it a few weeks and then we'll start seeing real decks actually start forming and getting tuned. If Ionia still stays enormously on top of the metagame, then maybe it's due for some minor tuning. But saying evasive is busted is like saying flying is busted in magic. Most of the evasive units in the game are understatted in comparision to non-evasive units, and need buffs to not lose the clock.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Been building towards a Heimer+Ezreal P&D/SI draw go control build. I think there's something here. Certainly been brutalizing a lot of the ionia/demacia decks. Ezreal and heimer both make for excellent win cons.

I also think there might be a stun/recall two-out control/midrange build that uses Katarina to power up Yasuo quickly, then just murder their board by forcing recalls and stuns on their units. Haven't really theory crafted it out yet though.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 30, 2020

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You can probably take it pretty far if you play well and are willing to grind it out. High bronze or maybe even silver. You'll climb faster with a better deck, but even a well put together budget deck is still going to be able to take wins. So long as you can maintain a 50+% winrate over time, you'll climb.

Right now removal is king, there's a billion and one aggro decks on the ladder because they handed us more aggro cards to start out with than control cards. The more I work on this ezreal/heimer deck, the more I'm liking it. D+J disco burn is another deck I'm looking at putting together, but I wanted to go with something that just makes the elusive aggro decks cry.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

1500 xp quests exist. Not super common though.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Shoot it with any of the cheap removal effects that exist across most factions then. P&Z has a 2 mana 4/3 that also will out pace it.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Every region has some form of a 1 mana 2/2 or better though? It's not like Mentor is out to lunch in terms of raw stats in comparison to the rest of the regions. Also with the exception of a couple other cards, elusives don't get out of kill range or most spells unless they get double buffed.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 30, 2020

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I think people are overstating the value of reach in MtG. Even during highly dominant flyer metagame in magic (last years mono-U tempo for example) reach still doesn't get run in decks, except as something that's stapled onto a card that already is doing something in their gameplans. Reach is much more of a keyword that's relevant to limited formats than constructed formats.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You earn a maximum of 700xp per day from surrendering. 100 for the first 4 games lost, and 50 for the next 6. It's not really possible to hit level 10 to get a free expedition token (and thereby a champion card) by surrender farming

berenzen fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 1, 2020

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Speaking as an rear end in a top hat that played fatigue warrior/priest in hearthstone, and teferi tuck in esper spring in magic last year, control decks want finishers. If he was able to play dreadway/Ledros uncontested, then he probably already won the game by controlling your board down, and was literally just finishing you off.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

yes, this is the point of control decks. Build a deck that interacts heavily with the opponent to run them out of resources by going 2+ for 1, then finish the game by dropping a massive haymaker that either effectively ends the game, or definitively ends the game.

If you're an aggro or midrange deck and haven't set up lethal by turn 9 then they've probably successfully controlled you down, and even just playing Ledros was going to end up killing you over a couple turns. If you're a control deck, and you don't have removal for it, then either you've gotten unlucky- in which case, who cares? you cannot win literally every game in a card game- or you spent your removal inefficiently.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 6, 2020

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

BREAD drafting is still a good idea to consider in LoR as much as in magic.

Draft these in order

B is for Bombs, you get handed 2 of these generally in the form of your champions obviously, but this is for any major haymakers that will win you a game if they're left uncontested.

R is Reactivity/Removal, it's pretty self explanatory, but these are cards that remove your opponent's threats. Deny, kill spells etc.

E is Evasion. In LoR this takes the form of Challenger and Evasive. I classify challenger as evasion in LoR because while the card itself doesn't usually have evasion, it provides evasion to your other units.

A is Aggro. Again, pretty self-explanatory, these are cards that aggressively attack your opponent's life total, forcing them to react to you rather you reacting to them.

D is Duds, this is the chaff that fill the rest of your deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

What style of deck do you want to play? Aggro? Midrange? Control?

I've been bouncing between Corina control and MF Scouts, and been having a lot of fun and success on ladder.