Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm an incredible dumbass who's bad at games, someone point me in at a primer for "mana curve" - I'm aware of that little graph in the deck builder but I don't know how to use the information it's giving me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I made it to level 9 on the vault since I only started playing at the weekend and didn't know you got a token at 10. Is it worth paying the shards to run the expedition or should I be saving them?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

piL posted:

Well, do you like expedition? If you enjoy playing it, then playing it to play it more next week makes sense. If not, then it doesn't.
I liked it better than I like getting absolutely kerbstomped with the starter decks, sure :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
How does xp for matches work? I'm getting zero for a loss where I was previously getting 50.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

guts and bolts posted:

Basically you earn a cap on XP for every win or loss in the game - wins give you 200, then 150, then 100, etc. Losses are on a similar grade, where your first few will award 100, then 50, then 0. It resets every day.
I'm probably only seeing it cause I keep weird hours by being in europe but playing on us servers then :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

njsykora posted:

Worth remembering XP doesn't degrade every game, it's every 5-10 games. I think you need to lose 20 or so games before you stop getting XP from them altogether.
I'm bad at the game but I didn't think I'd lost that many since last night :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I managed to get six wins in expedition with spider based shenanigans and had a stab at building a cheap deck, which is doing ok-ish in pvp. Feel free to tell me how poo poo it is: https://decksofruneterra.com/decks/tukeybbe I'm planning to swap that Ravenous Butcher out for another Elise when I can but beyond that I'm not really sure what else to do with it, so advice is welcome :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
How do you deal with frostbite decks?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Hold onto direct damage/board clears then? Cheers all :)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
So I noticed earlier that despite barrier saying it "negates" the next damage taken, overwhelm still spills over to the nexus. That was unexpected but it also triggered Braum's "when I survive damage" effect (despite him not taking any), which I could swear didn't go off when he had barrier versus a non-overwhelm unit. Did I imagine that or is there something weird going on? :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'm ok with it working that way, I just found it counterintuitive. So did I imagine barrier versus a unit without overwhelm preventing Braum's "survive damage" effect from triggering? I could have sworn I saw that happen at one point but I didn't think it was unusual until I saw the interaction with overwhelm much later :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Paid for a second expedition and got a single win on each run. Just didn't have any champions I knew what to do with, tried Fiora + challengers the first run and Anivia/Ashe frostbite the second but neither of them clicked at any point, even the wins were super close & desperate affairs :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Man I loving suck at expeditions, 2 wins with a Teemo/Zed deck, currently 0 for 1 with another attempt at an Ashe/Thresh frostbite deck.

Edit: got the rimefang/rimetusk combo out and the guy had a bottomless well of buffs that just shut me down entirely, I just barely squeaked a win by getting Ledros out and my opponent not reading his last breath properly :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 8, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
As weird as it might sound, I really hope they add some version of League's honour system to this. It's a minor thing but there's no way to tell your opponent "good game" and it'd be nice if you could.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Imagined posted:

But something like Overwatch where you can give them a recommendation afterwards would be cool. Is that how League does it?
Yeah, though they changed it at some point so you can't honour your opponents. Would be nice to be able to give a "good game" honour and if you both do it you get a tiny amount of shards or something.

I went six wins in expedition with my Ashe/Thresh frostbite deck then got absolutely steamrolled on the final game because I got a poo poo draw, an even shitter mulligan and then just didn't draw anything useful all game. :v: Unlocked open play though, which is cool.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
If they add in-game chat, then they have to add a report function and then they have to hire a bunch of staff to do nothing but read reports about how much of a dick people are being. At launch, Heroes of the Storm didn't have a way to chat to your opponents but if you typed "gg" at the end of a match, that was automatically shown to both teams and they eventually had to take that feature out because people were reporting each other for the "gg" being sarcastic :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Imagined posted:

I wouldn't mind a chat feature with people on your friends list (speaking of which -- where is?)
Not sure what you mean, you can already talk to people on your friends list :confused:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Imagined posted:

There's a friends list? I haven't found it.
Two little hooded figures at the top right of the screen.

Edit: it's kind of weird as friends lists go - it's shared with League but unlike the one in the league client it lets you add and chat to friends from any region, though you can only play against people in the same region

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 8, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Qubee posted:

Dunno why we can't just go back to the wild west days of the internet where reporting someone for being mean on the internet wasn't a thing.
Because it was poo poo :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Boxman posted:

Remember, you’re looking for BREAD, in that order:

Bombs
Removal
Evasion
Aggro
Dregs (which don’t actually happen in expeditions.)
Can you elaborate on this? Removal and aggro I think I get, I assume evasion is buffs and heals? What are bombs and how do they differ from removal?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Lord_Magmar posted:

Okay so the break down is this. Bombs are things that on their own will win you the game unanswered. Commander Ledros is the best example but he’s at the extreme high end of Bombs. Tryndamere Anivia and Battle fury are also bombs so on and so forth.

Removal is yeah obvious, cards that remove things from the game. Evasion means creatures that are hard to block or remove, so literally Evasion cards but also Fearsome and Last Breath. Aggro is cheap aggressively statted creatures.
And dregs is anything that doesn't fit in the first four categories. Nice one, thanks for explaining that to me :)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Chernabog posted:

How important is it to draft for a curve?
I've only drafted like 4 times but my take is that while it's not as important as in HS or MTG since there's spell mana, you still want some early and midrange allies to apply pressure and not be stuck with a bunch of late game bombs.
I'm finding it very hard to build a good expedition deck with any kind of mana curve in it. I either get stomped for having a bunch of random units that don't do anything useful or for not being able to play anything at all for the first 2-3 turns :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I dunno, Ledros is kinda nuts but I feel like if you're not close to a win by the time he shows up the odds were probably against you anyway.

Edit: I do think they should round the damage dealt down and not up though :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

kaschei posted:

If you are attacking, blocked, and use a burst spell, does the enemy get to respond before combat resolves?
I don't think so, since burst doesn't count as an action. I stand corrected :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 10, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This is a fierce battle over the life of 2-3 mana minions.
I assume both nexuses are on 1 hp or something because otherwise that seems a bit wild :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Pilchenstein posted:

So I noticed earlier that despite barrier saying it "negates" the next damage taken, overwhelm still spills over to the nexus. That was unexpected but it also triggered Braum's "when I survive damage" effect (despite him not taking any), which I could swear didn't go off when he had barrier versus a non-overwhelm unit. Did I imagine that or is there something weird going on? :v:
I just got the opportunity to test this and Braum's "survive damage" effect doesn't proc when he has barrier and his opponent doesn't have overwhelm. If I had to guess, I'd say it firing when overwhelm damage is dealt to his barrier is the bug :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Can anyone recommend any good videos of people playing expeditions? At my absolute best I can get six wins and most of the time I don't even get half that and I'm pretty sure most of it is down to not knowing how to draft. Even after the advice I've been given in this thread I end up with janky decks that struggle to do anything at all while my opponents steamroll me with perfect synergies :v:

Edit: so I got the vault to max level last week and got a "draft token" and "expedition token" out of it, how do I use the draft token?

Double edit: apparently it's meant to just be a second expedition token but I definitely only got one, guess I'll contact support
Whoever told me you got two draft tokens for maxing out the vault was wrong it seems. Guess I'm done with expeditions then, can't afford six thousand shards a week just to practice in open play :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 12, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

guts and bolts posted:

and immediately gets your unit out of Detain jail (???)
I was watching a stream last night and people were talking about how this actually permanently deletes the detained unit.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Turambar posted:

I haven't done any expeditions yet, but I did draft in MtG a lot.

I came across this video, and I think it has some nice tips of what you should look out for:

First some general strategy, then a full expedition draft with the reasoning behind the picks.
Nice one, cheers.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Someone else's screenshot, this is just dirty and I hate that minotaur.
Huh, I would have expected them all to stun the same target - it's not like stacking Rimetusks where the first guy hit with frostbite is no longer the strongest, surely "weakest enemy" doesn't change just because one is stunned.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Is there a bug with rerolling the daily quest? I rerolled twice to get a 1500xp one, "play 6 champions from Freljord or Piltover and Zaun" and after playing a bunch of games where I summoned 10 or so of those champs in total, it's progressed to 3 out of 6. I suspect it might actually be rewarding me progress for one of the quests I rerolled, though I can't remember what they were :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Syrinxx posted:

I've seen this too, on quests like "cast 10 spells from Freljord" but exiting the game and coming back in made it start counting correctly.
That seemed to do the trick, nice one :)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Finally got my first ever seven wins run on expedition with noxus/shadow isles. I had a single Atrocity in the deck and it won me five of the games :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I just used Stand United on Shen and a follower after I'd put them both out to block (but before I'd confirmed blockers) and instead of swapping them, it put them both back out of combat and I didn't have time to get both of them back out to block because my timer was almost up by the time Shen's level up animation finished :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Studio posted:

To confirm, if the wolf has at least 1 damage when striking, not if it does one damage through barrier?
If the wolf strikes something that has zero power, it kills it regardless of barriers or anything else. The only reason it doesn't work if the wolf itself has zero power is that units with zero power don't strike.

Edit: units with zero power don't strike in combat at least, I assume the same is true if you used Single Combat or something else that causes units to strike but I couldn't be 100% on that :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Is anyone else having to click "Resume trial" after every single match since the patch? :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I got 3 wins with Fiora/Braum in expedition and enjoyed it, so I went Fiora/Zed on my second run and got 7 wins. Is Fiora the only champ that has dialogue for your opponent surrendering or do they all have it and I've just not noticed before now? :v:

Anyway, my 7th game was against a Karma/Anivia deck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwJ7de2GhwY

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Why do they even give you the option to surrender an expedition if they're going to lock you out of the mode for using it? I'm in free play, got an absolutely atrocious draft where almost everything either cost 5+ or was a spell and had to just start grabbing any old poo poo to make sure I had stuff I could play in the first four turns. I decided to just write it off since it's not costing me anything and now I have to wait twenty minutes before I can start another expedition :mad:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I wasn't trying to get a perfect deck but yeah, that's a fair point. Would have been nice to get a warning though, definitely wouldn't have taken twenty minutes to lose two in a row with the topheavy mess I'd wound up with :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Me: free play expeditions are a great way to try out new deck types and discover combos I hadn't thought of
Also me: picks Fiora 100% of the time she's offered :v: