Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Does Noxus have anything good people have found to abuse or are they considered sorta bottom tier since they are mostly just the overwhelm guys?

Noxus has some of the best cheap champions in the game. Spiders+Elise are a solid low-cost aggro plan that will steal games; Draven on his own is a nasty 3 drop that wins on attack more often than not and gets good synergy with anything that makes champions strike or enjoys discarding; Katarina is almost impossible to kill if played right and constantly lets the person playing her attack twice and sometimes even three times a turn if they have mana to keep other things alive. The only Noxus champion who is actually odd here is Darius, who is in theory a tempo deck finisher that unfortunately just doesn't match up to many other cards for what he does. Keeping 5 health after transforming is awkward.

Vlad is also a bit of an odd duck, but he works will with Regenerators and he's got an entire set of followers who are specifically designed to work with him. Generally this is true of each champion, they'll have thematic followers in their faction but Vlad has a really obvious set that put in a lot of work on their own as far as synergy goes.

I'd actually say from memories of the initial testing phase, Demacia is the weakest faction, they don't have enough elites for an elite only deck to really work, Lux needs other factions to really function because Demacia's spells are not always fantastic for what she wants to do, Garen is an okay beef but doesn't really offer anything outside of an above average body that is hard to kill (which other factions either do better or with more synergy using basic units); Fiora and Lucian both did okay, with Fiora having one of the most obnoxious decks outside Teemo Shrooms and Lucian being really good paired with Shadow Isles.

The only faction with every champion having a proven functional home is Freljord from memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Clarste posted:

Have they given any indication on how often card expansions will come out? I'm vaguely interested in this but I'm not especially into any of the current heroes.

All they’ve stated so far is they intend to release them a little slow because they’re going to aim for an extra faction with most of the card expansions, and to give previous expansions a champion/card set with synergy for the new faction.

Or something like that. 3 a year seems likely though, 4 months between sets.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

lexxyth posted:

I also saw on reddit that you can do only 3 expeditions per week, then you unlock a free option with no rewards. Probably resets weekly.

You still get the expedition experience for the free runs, which is super useful if you're good at it because it's a massive chunk of experience.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Full hardcore traditional control does not exist in this game, but stuff like protective spells, kill spells, and the right champion controls is plenty control oriented. Karma and Anivia are both intended as midrange cards that become control finishers when you reach 10 mana (and Enlightened Decks in general are going to be control oriented). Ashe and Frostbite will flat out win the turn she gets her crystal arrow if played right, and Tryndamere slots in nicely to any Freljord Strategy looking to go long. She who Wanders is a good closer here as well.

Demacia also has some good old white control cards, to match Ionia having the blue control cards, even Piltover using Heimerdinger and big spells is a powerful control/grind game.

But if you're looking for killspells and counters and draw, there is no real deck that's just that, control is very interactive in Legends of Runeterra, just like Aggro and Tempo and Combo. Largely because that's how the game is designed.

Ashe Frostbite + something is probably the most simple control deck to understand, and even then it attacks a lot.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Of the various champions, I feel like Darius has the worst identify out of any of them, Tryndamere is basically the exact same thing but so, so much better and stickier for 2 mana more.

Darius is meant to be a tempo finisher, as opposed to Tryndamere's control finisher I feel. Darius wants to be the top-end in a deck that's fighting for the board and pushing damage through. Tryndamere doesn't quite need that because on his own he'll rip a Nexus apart whereas Darius finishes one off. More importantly, Darius can kill a nexus on the turn he levels up if you do it mid-combat and clear his blocker, which is brutal considering he effectively halves the health of a Nexus in the right situation.

Trynd honestly is probably a bit overtuned right now even with his nerfs, he's nasty as gently caress and I kind of expect them to give a second condition on his level-up (maybe even requiring enlightenment like Anivia) just because if you're playing Freljord you always want one Trynd.

Darius has the weakest identity of the Noxian champs though, he's a generalist tempo/control finisher, as opposed to the others having specific decks or playstyles they support. If you're in Noxus and need a top end he's great though.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 26, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

berenzen posted:

P&Z feel pretty good as a faction. Jinx in general feels like a 'kill this or lose' champ, because the card advantage you get off of her is great, and can pump out a ton of damage in the late game. Been pairing it with Ionia to use a bunch of quick attack units to quickly tempo out opponents and use direct damage abilities to clear the way.

I think that P&Z Jinx could combine well with Draven Noxious for a strong burn deck. That uses overstated minions to beat your opponent down.

Draven+Jinx is a pretty fund discard aggro deck. But you don’t want over-started minions you want efficient spells and discard outlets. A lot of the time your other minions are blockers or distractions (like the flame champers and the discardable scuttle crabs) Jinx and Draven are how you want to be pushing damage through. Draven in particular is the only champion you can have 6 effective copies of thanks to his Biggest Fan.

Add in rummage and you can be churning through a cheap deck fast as hell constantly playing and discarding cards so that Jinx activates. Who then digs through the deck even faster. It’s a madcap gameplan that you need to manage well but once it goes off it’s super fun.

Personally I went for a more Aggro Midrange and used Ezreal as an alternative win condition, because the deck has a lot of targeting anyway and a lot of cheap spells for him to shoot down the Nexus with.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Buller posted:

So ive played a bit more with my new Demacia tribal deck. And its really weak to Ionia and Shadow Isles, dont invest into a deck that doesnt run one of these regions.

Factions don't really work tribally, you need to find the tribe within the faction and focus that. So for Demacia that's Elites, which you could probably make a relatively okay deck from. But also if you're weak to Ionia and Shadow Isles you're probably investing in a tall, not a wide, strategy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I was more pointing out that if you're doing mono-Demacia the Elites package is a solid way to do it, because Demacia is the only place with Elites and they've got some pretty good synergy stuff going on.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

No Wave posted:

Vlad has so many synergy cards. Scathane, transfusion, and crimson disciple are really scary cards and some of his support cards like crimson awakener are just silly overstatted (Vlad's body is just crazy good as well). His cards are all so niche that nobody can dedicate the WCs (srsly almost all 40 cards in a freljord vlad deck are unplayable elsewherw) but I think it's real. The devs recognized how much of a downside damaging your own units is and made them really crazy to compensate.

Heimerdinger is the one who seems really bad to me, being bad against elusive, overwhelm, and challenger. You generally dont run out of cards in this game so I dont like him.

Heimerdinger is crazy good in the right deck, it’s just that deck is probably the hardest to play and most expensive to craft in the game. He’s basically the only real control champion in the game right now, Karma and Anivia and Lux all benefit from a control play style. But Heimerdinger wants a full on control gameplay that then uses the free minions to push the opponent onto the backfoot.

Basically he’s the Wallet Warrior equivalent where you combine control with value and make your opponent cry. Consider for example how good Vengeance is, and then staple a 7/1 with barrier to it. 8 mana spells (like his own progress day) give you a free 8/8. Worried about elusive toss down some 3 mana spells (which are universally pretty good and have burst).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 27, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The reason all the Spiders are Noxus and Elise is Shadow Isles is a confluence of lore and wanting to have obvious shared builds for when factions are partnered. As for Shadow Isles and Ionia being best in show, I suspect part of that is confirmation bias. Everyone sees them doing well and so also uses them.

That's not to say they aren't good, they are, and a lot of their good stuff is pretty low buy in thanks to rarities involved, but I remember that during the two previous tests Shadow Isles and Ionia were strong but not overwhelmingly so.

Sjonkel posted:

I'm assuming the different regions or whatever they are called are sort of mimicking the colors in Magic? If so, do the different regions have different things/strategies they try to do, and what regions work well together?

Kind of, it's a bit more broad than Magic the Gatherings colours, but a big part of the game was designing so that almost every region has something it wants to do with another Region. The basic example is Noxus and Demacia, lore rivals, who have very different ideas about how to apply their martial might; both of them have above average followers, but Noxus has a lot of cannot block whilst Demacia has a lot of defensive oriented options. Thus whilst they don't have the same ideals they do work together because you can have a huge selection of above average stat creatures who either act offensively or defensively.

Ironically Lucian (who hunts the undead) is actually super good with Shadow Isles (because they have a lot of sacrifice effects and other kill spells), and Vlad works with any region that has either regenerating followers/champs or ones who get effects for being damaged.

It's a very complex series of interconnected webs basically. But generally any two factions should have at least one functional deck or synergy together as that's been an explicit design goal of the game, to the point that future releases are planned to be a new faction and then cards for every other faction to synergise with the new faction.

But the basic things off the top of my head: Demacia is Defense and midrange synergy with some control options, Noxus is Offense and aggro with some kill spells, Ionia is control and low cost minions, Shadow Isles is control and sac synergy, Freljord is control and powerful finishers, Piltover and Zaun is aggro and spell synergy.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 28, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Monathin posted:

These aren't one to one and are just my opinions since I haven't played M:TG in a hot sec, but:

Demacia is closest to White: Low-power, low-cost units but has ways to keep them on the field and a lot of them have synergistic buffs to the point where if Demacia has board control it's downright terrifying.

Freijord is closest to Green: A lot of reliance on cost-effective fairly huge midgame units, their board control looks a lot like having one, huge sticky person on the field and crushing all attempts to establish momentum.

Ionia and Piltover/Zaun are closest to Blue: Ionia is very much closer to classic Blue Denial Strats in terms of completely dismantling your enemy's offensives (while having a heavy reliance on Flyers aka Elusives), while Piltover/Zaun are very much closer to more usual spell-spam.

Noxus is closest to Red: Pure aggro, has the best ways to sweep the board clear or do direct damage to the Nexus, a lot of Noxus decks require establishing a lead and then never letting go of it, ever.

Shadow Isles are closest to Black: Like Demacia, they have a plethora of low-cost units, but they also have access to the most amount of hard removal in the game at current, and those smaller monsters are usually used for sacrifice plays for bigger moves/monsters. I can't remember if M:TG has anything like Ephemeral but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

This is also very accurate and much more succinct than what I was saying.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'd suggest going for OCE if you're in South East Asia, or the Mainland Asia Server of course.

berenzen posted:

We're in the first 5 days of release. Everyone is running around with incomplete collections and very few champions as yet. Aggro decks are always incredibly cheap and strong to play during initial releases, including expansions. You just need to throw together a pile of cheap, overstatted minions that excel at going face and just trying to be the beatdown. It's way harder to gently caress up combo and control decks, because they require a lot of tuning to be effective. Ionia is a very strong faction, but I've been beating a lot of the ionia burn decks by running P&Z and just killing their evasive minions with burn spells, and countering their own spells.

Give it a few weeks and then we'll start seeing real decks actually start forming and getting tuned. If Ionia still stays enormously on top of the metagame, then maybe it's due for some minor tuning. But saying evasive is busted is like saying flying is busted in magic. Most of the evasive units in the game are understatted in comparision to non-evasive units, and need buffs to not lose the clock.

Also this, Draven+Jinx+Ezrael is a variant of the discord deck I ran near constantly, and was winning plenty against every sort of deck just because of how many swings you can make with targetted damage removal, good combat tricks and card advantage. Discard is a huge thing that isn't being played right now because it needs 2 champions and a couple of epics and rares by default. (Draven's Biggest Fan, Draven Himself and Jinx, plus some cards I'm forgetting).

It's probably the most frustrating thing about the game for me right now, I know exactly the deck I want to play but don't have the cards for it yet.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

guts and bolts posted:

would you mind sharing your deck? I feel like I should try playing more P&Z and I really want to make Ezreal/Jinx/something work together. Or if anyone has a burn deck with Ez in it I'd appreciate it.

I actually forgot it, but the main gist was the discard package (Draven, Jinx, Draven's Biggest Fan, Chompers, Jury Rig, Get Excited, Vision, Rummage) with Ezrael and as many targetted removal options in both Noxus and Demacia as I can manage (Mystic Shot, Culling Strike, Blade's Edge, Noxian Guillotine, Whirling Death, Augmented Experimentor) You end up running a lot of 2 ofs instead of 3 ofs, but there's an assload of card draw and card creation all over so it's not that much of an issue. Against Elusive Decks and Fiora Decks you want your hard removal and elusive followers/champs, against other aggro you want your discard and Draven/Jinx stuff, against control you want even harder aggro and against tempo you try to beat them at their own game.

Rummage is an absolute all-star with the discard package in general btw and Noxian Guillotine turns even the smallest of damage spells into a kill spell if used right.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 28, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You get a champ with your first expedition each week guaranteed, and you get a free expedition token no matter your vault level.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Okay having actually once more gotten the deck basically started (still need Ez) Progress Day is a real lifesaver some times, as is Trueshot Barrage, but because you're otherwise low to the ground you should only really run 1 each. If you're casting more than 1 of them you're already losing. Hold Culling Strike a lot, it's a nasty little removal for a shocking number of champions who are otherwise going to stonewall you, also remember that a spell that says KILL ignores barrier, which will royally ruin some people's days.

The deck plays like an aggro deck, you want to be constantly pushing damage or trading up with your cards, but feels like a control deck to pilot because there's a lot of killing of champions and followers you have to think about, as well as managing your hand size and what you discard and what you keep.

Also, your champions are 100% your most valuable cards in the deck, each of them on their own is a win condition once leveled up. You run enough spells that are cheap and draw that Ezrael will easily finish off a damaged Nexus, your discard package means you almost always can make a Super Mega Death Rocket, and once Draven gets going on the attack he's nasty as hell especially if you use his axes on Visions and Fire Chompers to control your opponent's ability to safely block a quick-striking overwhelm, or get extra axes from stuff like whirling death. Get any of them together and you have a drat party, Draven will empty your hand using his axes, and Jinx and Draven create cheap spells for Ezrael to shoot with.

If you have whirling death in hand and other kill spells don't be afraid to use Draven as a blocker either, people don't expect it, so you can use this to level up Draven on their turn by Whirling Death on a different attacker whilst Draven eats something small, provided of course he's been tossed his axe.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 28, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

a fatguy baldspot posted:

hearthstone arena is way harder imo. i was able to make a full spider deck in expeditions, it just kept throwing arachnophilia buckets at me

It's actually meant to do this, kind of. Because of the highly synergistic nature of the game the way the Expiditions work is they offer you your two champion buckets, and then alternate between synergy buckets and wild card buckets (which will still usually have some level of synergy) and unlike say, Hearthstone's bucket system this one will always give synergy buckets based on your original champion picks so you can't screw yourself by grabbing neat wild card buckets. Add in the ability to swap cards and you can sometimes see straight up constructed tier decks in the Expiditions (especially at high wins).

It will also try to offer champions that have some synergy with your initial champion picks, although your first two champion picks can have zero synergy at all which tends to confuse it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Draven having an absurdly obnoxious over the top animation is part of the point, he’s a giant showboating rear end in a top hat.

Also to the person complaining about elusive and specifically the Kinkou Lifeblade please notice that by default it has 2/3 stats for a 4 mana creature that dies to roughly 5 different 3 mana spells on the turn it comes down. If you’re against an elusive deck and don’t have elusive yourself you need to be saving your other answers and ready to race damage.

Also when the full power Fiora/Shen Decks are complete they’re gonna eat Elusive decks alive.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Elusive really isn't unbeatable, it wasn't even particularly dangerous in the previous testing when everyone had the full collection. The issue is that Elusive looks to be very cheap in cards compared to a lot of the really vicious decks from the previous testing so everyone is defaulting to it instead of remembering the counters (that require more wild cards of higher types).

Okay actually I forgot Dusk and Dawn and the Empyrean existed.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 30, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TyrantWD posted:

I'm also not that concerned about elusive either - at least for now. If they are still a problem when people have more complete collections, then maybe Riot can consider nerfs or printing some elusive hate cards.

Have Riot said anything about what the content release schedule will look like?

I mean as it stands the hate cards for Elusive are direct removal, because almost all of them are low statlines perfect for the majority of removal in the game already, as well as challengers, who generally will trade or outright beat an elusive of equal cost.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You would have to give Elusive units actually good stats to compensate, and thus people would hold them back buffing them until they could make that one safe hit instead of what happens now, where they are exposed to danger by attacking. If someone is racing you with elusives, it means you're not actually being threatening enough yourself.

They all have under-average stats for the cost (outside like one or two really specific elusive units), the only one that remotely could use a nerf is Shadow Assassin. For comparison's sake, the Empyrean is a 7 mana 6/5, other 7 mana cards include Yone, Windchaser (a 6/6 who stuns two units on entry, a much more devestating effect as a closer), Savage Reveler (a 7/4 with Overwhelm and Challenger who will run over cheap elusives and gets to pick who he's fighting in general), and of course Rhasa the Sunderer (a 7/5 that flat out kills two units and has fearsome).

It's a good card, no doubt, but all the 7 mana followers are good with game ending situations. The Empyrean is neither unique or particularly overpowered in this situation, it's a strong finisher which is good for the game.

A lot of the overstatted Elusives come at the cost of bouncing a different follower, and whilst this does technically help, it still puts you behind on mana. Which again brings us back to, if you're being outpaced by damage from an elusive deck, then build a deck that outpaces them, and if they have to block you then good, you've killed some of their elusives by forcing their blocks. Use removal on elusives, hold it up for the ones you know are dangerous. The handbuffs on Elusives are a thing sure, but they'd be a thing on any unit that was awkward to block.

I meant what I said, part of the issue is that a lot of the high tier decks from the previous testing are a lot more card cost intensive compared to elusives and other current top tier decks, as the playerbase's collection expands Elusive is going to start seeing counters.

Monathin posted:

Yeah the problem with Elusive is that the vast majority of Elusive units are jam packed into one faction that already has a lot of poo poo going for it (Ionia). For contrast Demacia has exactly One Elusive card. If you give more factions either more access to elusive or more access to its natural counters (Challenger, etc) then Elusive becomes weaker without having to negatively impact those cards directly.

Also this is very true, but Elusive is like, one of Ionia's three things (which every faction has) if it really is that overpowered then Riot have shown with this game they're willing to balance that stuff out, but I think it's early teething that's creating the current situation, not Elusive inherently being the best deck in the game.

For one thing, I'd rather play any number of games against Elusive than I would against full power Fiora/Shen, which is loving nightmarish when all the cards are available.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 30, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

No Wave posted:

I dont think any 2 drop outpaces greenglade duo.

Ah yes, the card that takes all of 1 damage to kill by default. Also Ionia has a 1 drop with a better version of it's effect (and no elusive), Piltover/Zaun has a 1 drop with the same growth for drawing cards (again no elusive), both of which survive against more removal spells than Greenblade Duo, which will die to literally every card in the game that can target it. Now maybe Greenblade Duo could be a 1/1, bat at that point I think it's actually unplayable.

Actually, Piltover and Zaun can block it by default with their 1 drop poro (which has elusive).

Yes if you let it attack unmolested it's going to do damage, but that's true of literally every card in the game.

Legends of Runeterra is a game that comes down to interaction, the more of it you have the better off you will be, and yes Elusive units let you block other Elusive units, but Challengers let you pull them out, often with better statlines, removal spells are cheap and plentiful, boardwipes are very good in this game.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 30, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

No Wave posted:

when you are suggesting putting elusive poro into your deck to counter a good card, that is a hint.

I was listing examples of things that answer a 2 mana 2/1 with elusive (which is not very hard to do). I'm pretty sure if a 1 mana 1/1 is answering a 2 mana creature I'm ahead on that as far as resources spent. Every faction has somewhere between a 1 and 3 mana answer to Greenblade Duo, a few of them have several answers to Greenblade Duo.

Just because Elusive is the current good cool deck does not mean it's going to be so for ever, the game is a week out, people are still building collections and it turns out that Elusives (and Dawnspiders) are really good at low collection numbers. Which is arguably healthy for the game, if you can guide people to nice cheap to build decks that they can start with as they build up their collection.

The real benefit is that Elusive being popular means I don't have to deal with Teemo decks ever, because Elusive being popular makes Teemo super poo poo to play.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 30, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cynic Jester posted:

His point is that you seriously suggesting a 1/1 elusive for 1 as an answer indicates there is a problem as a 1/1 elusive for 1 is awful in every other circumstance except blocking a more expensive x/1 elusive and is as such an awful card to include in your deck, unless you expect to only face decks with a plethora of x/1 elusives.

Well if the current best deck is one that’s all elusive then yes cheap answers to cheap elusive creatures is a good idea. Although personally I’d play Mystic Shot, Get Excited, Culling Strike or Blade’s Edge over Elusive Poro you’re correct. Demacia has a 2 mana 2/4 challenger that does wonders for dealing with Greenblade Dup though.

Although gonna admit I forgot they nerfed the actual nightmare deck from the previous playtest. Shadow Isles Anivia control which yeah glad that bullshit is gone.

Frankly though I like the idea of using Noxus aggro to smash down Elusive decks. If you can’t block anyway just play the undercosted no blockers and outrace the elusive deck. Using Noxus removal package to get rid of stuff like the Kinkou Lifeblade. The thing I saw and I agree with is that the elusive deck isn’t OP, it’s just one of the first actually tuned decks so it runs over all the janky untuned stuff currently being used.

Now I am willing to say in a week or two if Elusive remains super powerful I was wrong, but for now I really do think it’s too early to tell and my personal experience of the game starting with the original playtests suggests that we aren’t done seeing the meta evolve yet.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

njsykora posted:

Pyke's ability being to execute any enemy unit at 1 health would be hilarious.

Actually of all the Bilgewater champs if I was to pick 4 to put in LoR it'd probably be Tahm Kench, Pyke, Illaoi and Nautilus. Though I accept there is roughly a 0% chance that Miss Fortune and Gangplank aren't in the set.

I was initially going to point out that none of the factions have their actual lore leader as a playable champion in Legends yet but then I realised whilst technically a true statement the only faction that actually reflects that is Demacia (which is missing Jarvan IV King of Demacia); Noxus has Darius who is technically one of the three leaders of the nation, even if Swain is the one who is guiding the whole thing with his Vision; Ionia has Karma who is the living spirit of the land reincarnated countless times into a mortal body, but not actually the ruler of Ionia itself; Piltover & Zaun have Heimerdinger, who is not technically leader of anything but is at the forefront of their Hextech development and a huge intellectual figure in a society that reveres such things; Freljord has Ashe and already shows signs of the war for control between Ashe and Sejuani (with Lissandra hiding in the background ready to rule both afterwards); and lastly the Shadow Isles has Hecarim, who to the outside world is the closest thing to a leader the SI have, seeing as the Ruined King remains trapped on the island itself.

I guess that makes what we get from a hypothetical Bilgewater Faction pretty open. I will say it’s definitely going to be either Gangplank or Miss Fortune But not both, and Ilaoi is the only representative of the native culture we’ve got for a champion so she kind of gets in by default.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

njsykora posted:

I believe Draven is also on the Noxus council, so that's 2 of the 3 in the game. Tryndamere and Ashe are literally King and Queen of the Freljord, so that fits even if the other faction leaders aren't there (and it seems more and more like Sejuani, Lissandra and Volibear are being grouped as a single faction). Piltover and Zaun are really difficult ones but I'd say Camille is probably the closest to a hard leader for Piltover since she's the head of one of the great families (though I'd wager Caitlin would get in before her just for her link to Jinx), and Urgot is probably the biggest and scariest guy in Zaun which is what really matters there (Blitzcrank's League banrate notwithstanding).

I don't think you can have Bilgewater without both Gangplank and Miss Fortune, they are constantly linked in the same way Lucian and Thresh are.

Now Shurima is the one no-one's really talked about and that opens up people like Azir, Taliyah, Nasus, Renekton, Xerath, Skarner, Sivir and Rammus (ok) and is arguably more visually interesting than another grimy urban region.

Draven isn't on the Noxus Council, it's Swain, Darius and an unknown character representing "Guile" (who might be Leblanc but according to Riot is not, because the leader of the Black Rose becoming a public figure would be ridiculous). Draven is Swain's secondhand man though, and Swain's entire revolution against Boram Darkwill heavily relied on Draven helping him out, which is why Draven's current position is so lauded and high (outside his brotherhood with Darius and general popularity).

Volibear is a faction unto himself, like Ornn, because he's a Freljordian Deity. Others are Anivia and their unnamed Seal/Walrus Sister. Tryndamere and Ashe are the King and Queen of the Freljord only by their own tribes/coalition acceptance, Sejuani would argue heavily against it, and Lissandra is definitely still meant to be a secret third faction that's currently allying itself with the Avarosans publically, and the Trolls privately. In fact Sejuani is flat out marching south with her own massive warhorde to destroy the Avarosans and stop Ashe's attempt to unite the nation. Technically Ashe's actual title is Warmother of the Avarosans, it's Tryndamere who is known as the Barbarian King (and that might actually be a title from lands other than the Freljord, who are largely matriarchal with Warmothers leading their tribes and taking on many Oathsworn Husbands at once).

Honestly, based on some of the concept art we've seen, Shurima is probably next, as there were Shuriman/Noxian designed characters with no cards to match, called Burning Sun Followers, which would work fine as a sign of the fact that Shurima is the most fractured nation in the lore right now, with Noxus slowly encroaching on it from the North and taking more and more territory, with rebellions forming to match.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 31, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Other characters from Targon are Aphelios (and his seer sister Alune who guides his hand in battle), Zoe, and Aurelion Sol (A literal starforging Dragon). Additionally Kayle and Morgana are the daughters of a Targonian Aspect of Justice, so they'd possibly show up in a hypothetical Targon faction.

Personally I suspect if we get Targon it'll be alongside Icathia/The Void, as they're effectively archrivals on a level that no other faction can claim, not even Demacia and Noxus.

Shurima and Bilgewater and possibly even Ixtal (which is a new region that's effectively Wakanda) are all likely to come before Targon, and I have a sneaking suspicion that much like Teamfight Tactics Riot are going to end up using the alterantive skins to create additional factions, because as it stands there's only about 5 more they could really add and that's stretching it still.

As far as Bandle City goes, they kind of already used it's biggest lore protector (Teemo) but there's still plenty of Yordles associated with it, Tristana and Lulu immediately spring to mind.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 31, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

boredsatellite posted:

Having no idea what the hell League lore is about this is all pretty interesting so far

Generally there are two people who know the lore of Runeterra, those from before the great retcon and those after. As someone from before I do miss the original lore, it was kind of cool and I really don't see any reason it couldn't have remained with all the expansion, but it is what ti is.

For the record originally the game League of Legends was canonical to the world of Runeterra as a combination political debate, televised bloodsport and United Nations anti-war system, as actual war would cause the planet to shatter from Rune Magic. The Institute of War was founded by the nations of the world (or possibly independently it was never quite clear) to basically manage this system, wherein political and other debates between nations or wealthy individuals could be decided with magical deathbattles. A pretty famous actual example of this was Riot holding a showmatch between Noxus and Ionia in real life to decide whether the Ionian Invasion by Noxus would be allowed to continue, Ionia won and that's where Ionina Boots of Lucidity was added to the game.

This is no longer the case, and it's a shame, but all the new lore is pretty interesting world building on it's own merits. The expansion to the Freljord making it Matriarchal and offering a bunch of cool lore reasons why, Shurima becoming more than just a desert but the site of an ancient Solar Powered Empire that has ties to The Void, Mount Targon and The Darkin, Demacia's borders are now explicitly the range at which Galio activates and their darker sides are more highlighted without nullifying the darkness of Noxus so on and so forth.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 31, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

njsykora posted:

Oh yeah if you want (a hell of a lot) more lore, have a look at the League Universe site which has a shitload of stuff like the animated shorts, short stories, the Runeterra map and comics Riot's done both internally and with Marvel.

Personal recs are the Ryze short Call to Power, the Camille short story Tea With The Grey Lady and everything involving Orianna.

https://map.leagueoflegends.com/en_US The Map is absolutely fantastic yes, cool stuff includes the Void/Icathia only being visibly damaged if you go up close, Bandle City being a glowing rune that can appear in about 20 different locations, a lot of little cities that you can click on for small lore tidbits.

Polderjoch posted:

What would you even put in Ixtal, Qiyana is the only actual champ from that region and also Malphite sort of?, while Neeko and Nidalee are hanging out in the jungles with Rengar and Zyra. Really feels less like Ixtal and just "all the jungle champs". Especially since I don't see Rengar without Kha'zix in a Void expansion and I don't think Neeko actually counts.

Shurima and Bilgewater really feel like the two big ones yet to come outside of Targon/Void. Really curious which ones they're putting in though, if I could have my pick I could see Azir playing similar to Elise, and beyond that Taliyah/Sivir/Xerath.
Considering the whole Noxus/Shurima stuff I can also see them introducing Cassiopeia as a Noxus/Shurima champ like Elise.

When Bandle City comes I can't wait for Yuumi to just literally be reverse Kalista.

Whilst it's true Ixtal has a very small selection of champions now, it is meant to be an up and coming faction and I believe we're getting at least two champions from Ixtal in this coming year. Plus there's always putting in off-brand stuff from other factions like Teemo in P&Z or Elise in SI. They've got about as much as Targon does, with the added benefit of not having to deal with the fact that Targon is secretly the place where an intergalactic space empire interacts with Runeterrans via soul bonding magic. I'm actually slightly hoping we'll get "champions" in Legends of Runeterra first sometimes, as there's a pretty severe numbers difference for places like The Void (which is 100% a faction) and Ionia (which has 18 associated champions total). Actually after a quick count, Piltover and Zaun has 19 associated champions on the map/universe page, adding Teemo that makes 20 total, when Noxus has 11 and Shadow Isles themselves have 8.

You could shove Ivern into Ixtal, actually, and that would be pretty reasonable. Shyvana too as it's meant to be the home of the Elemental Drakes and whatever she was doing in Demacia she ended up leaving, and Jarvan's actually a bit sad about her leaving him too.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 31, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

njsykora posted:

The best example I've heard given of why the map was a really important release was it gives context for why Noxus has never really gone after Piltover and Zaun. Because while Noxus is perfectly fine going after basically everything 1v1, if they take over Piltover and Zaun they cut off the only real safe trading route Runeterra has (because you can't sail through the Freljord and no-one wants to go anywhere near the Shadow Isles) and give Demacia, Ionia, Bilgewater and Shurima a reason to work together to gently caress up Noxus.

It's also why their current plan is to overthrow Piltover with secrecy and the assistance of Zaun, instead of disrupting trade routes they're merely going to do it quick and quiet and end up managing the system themselves.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

General Morden posted:

shady character already exists

Shady character is follower only, Neeko obviously would be able to copy champions.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

pog boyfriend posted:

zoe is canonically the most powerful character and the only one even remotely close is leona. everyone else does not stand a chance in the lore. for this reason i think zoe should be the most powerful card in legends of runeterra

This isn't really true and you know it, Bard is also pretty absurdly powerful. Zoe is just extremely in tune with her Aspect, to the point where there's zero separation between Zoe and the Aspect of Twilight. Aurelion Sol is more powerful and had to be tricked by the Aspect of Twilight before it was Zoe to be imprisoned as he is now, with the crown using his own magic against him as a method of control.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

pog boyfriend posted:

i think you will find that not only is she incredibly in tune with her aspect, but she is also largely responsible for the imprisonment of the ascended into the darkin forms they are in now... but sure, lets say that. so? asol is still presently weaker than zoe, as zoe always comes out in top. zoe stays winning actually

Zoe wasn’t the Aspect who imprisoned the Darkin it was the previous host. A Sol isn’t weaker than Zoe presently, he’s just unable to act against Targon without the crown then destroying stars in punishment.

mistaya posted:

You do not lose anything in Iron, once you get to bronze you do lose progress if you lose games and you can level down within a "metal" bracket, (from say, 3 to 4) there is some forgiveness though (you have to lose more than once at 0/empty bar to de-level.) I don't know if you can derank down from like Gold to Silver or whatever though.

You cannot go down from gold to silver they explicitly stated as such with the release FAQ for this period of testing.

Eraflure posted:

My favourite part of the League of Legends Lore© is probably that one time they retconned my best boy Warwick into some lab experiment about sticking glowing dildos in your spine, or maybe that time they visually reworked my second best boy Trundle, completely changed his lore to push an event no one cared about and made my favourite skin in the game look like poo poo. Pretty riveting stuff.

At least Warwick gets to be Zaunite Batman hunting down and punishing criminals. Which was what he wanted in the new lore anyway. As for Trundle I got nothing, I do like his new voice over though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah, I may not think Elusive is particularly overpowered in constructed, but as far as draft goes it’s definitely one of the strongest options just because answers for Elusive are harder to draft and have function.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Nigulus Rex posted:

I made the discard aggro deck prior to the 1/27 update on Swim's decks and I'm finding it uh...not so great anymore. Not sure how to play it since I spent all my currency making the decks for 3x Jinx. Any suggestions on pivoting to something not terribly expensive?

https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/bok0i1dp0i9p574eh620 was the deck.

Honestly that’s not a great discard aggro deck imo, your spell selection is too small and dump dredger is kind of bad in the deck.

My personal suggestion is keep working on it and shift it to a more midrange discard deck. Run vision instead of might and rummage Rummage. Grab stuff like culling strike and get excited, you need more Dravens too he’s a really important part of the deck.

Frankly seeing that as swimstrim’s idea of what discard aggro in Legends of Runeterra actually looks like does not inspire me with much hope for his deckbuildig skills around Piltover & Zaun. It’s a good basis but a lot of decisions are questionable at best as someone who loved that deck and knows none of the cards in it have changed since the first testing period.

I think an issue people are having right now is that this game doesn’t let you only run one win condition, it’s too fast and too volatile, the best decks will have several avenues of success instead of relying on only one champion or full on aggro with units. The boomcrew rookie and Sabotuer are both questionable choices, and the entire thing is clearly going to run out of gas in three turns.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 2, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I would say if you're going for a Frostbite deck pop in either Demacia or Noxus, to maximally benefit from the stat reduction you're applying with big beefy followers. Noxus itself has stuff that only works on low power units too.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

guts and bolts posted:

Good Info about Discard Decktech.

e:
I should probably post some card alternatives that I think are good. Uh, Funsmith could facilitate the accelerated burn on the enemy Nexus and also makes Get Excited!/Augmented Experimenter into an even more serious removal option, 1-shotting Kinkou Lifeblade is pretty good. Assembly Bot is probably not going to survive super long in this deck as I've built it since Draven and Co. basically exist to create pressure and chump if necessary, but in the event you need to switch to burning their board instead of their Nexus and winning with units, he's probably not a terrible choice. Eager Apprentice provides a body and refunds himself in spell mana for stuff, so that's good. Chempunk Shredder is in this same category of providing more options to weaken the opposing board state. Shady Character I generally don't like but he could give you the option of copying a beefgate that you otherwise cannot burn down, so that's an option. Trueshot Barrage isn't in here at all and it could be? Probably? I don't really like it in concept but I could be way off base. Statikk Shock also?

This is pretty much what I'd say about upgrading, although personally I would not run Corina because she's a 9 drop 6/6 in a deck that doesn't really want to reach 9 mana, plus if you do cast her she's more often than not just a one-sided avalanche at 9 mana. Most decks that you'll get to 9 mana against do not care about 2 damage. As for Funsmith, Get Excited and Augmented Experimenter already 1-shot Kinkou Lifeblade provided it has 0 buffs, and personally I like adding Noxian Guillotine as a definitely kill a damaged unit option.

My build also is 2 Draven, 2 Jinx and 2 Ezreal, but that's a less burn more tempo deck that wins with one of them evolving and then ripping apart the Nexus via spellcasts, Super Mega Death Rockets or Overwhelm. As for Counterfeit Copies, it's a choice thing, personally I find you're never running out of cards as it is and sometimes you screw yourself using that card because you'll draw the copies instead of better cards.

Also really every copy of Scrapdash Assembly counts as a 1 mana 1/1 creature, that can appear at burst speed. So the loss of some of the bodies isn't so bad. Also personally I don't really like Arena Bookie or Sump Dredger, I'd rather run the Eager Apprentice and the 1 mana 1/2 that gains power as you draw cards from Piltover. Or the elusive flying follower from Pilt/Zaun because it's a good body for blocking low cost elusives.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 2, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

They will almost certainly not rotate regions out of standard because that would be like rotating entire colours out of Magic, in a game where dual coloured decks are intended to be the norm at that.

I suspect the answer is they’ll make the region progress system more rewarding over time to help new players keep up. Given the way they’re talking about the game, I suspect at the end of the day the cards in the current factions are going to remain their primary cardset, plus editions for synergy with new regions, and then once they’ve added all the regions we’ll probably get Hearthstone style expansions for the entire game.

I can guarantee champions at the very least will never be rotated out, given a huge part of Legends of Runeterra is using lessons learnt from designing and developing League of Legends.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also, because there’s so little actual monetary costs to Legends of Runeterra compared to Heartbstone if a card is too good then they’ll just nerf it, as soon as they need to. We’re not going to have situations of one care ruling the game for months because the Legends of Runeterra team are bringing the philosophy of balance that League of Legends itself has in terms of being a digital multiplayer experience where tweaking buffing and nerfing is incredibly easy to do relative to a physical card game.

Also to remind everyone, this is an Open Beta, not the full game release. Whilst they’re not going to reset collections anymore they are going to be constantly shifting changing and updating the game and the client. The new regions being expansions are more like additions to the core card list, not actual expansions/new sets.

Also the whole back and forth thing is basically why I argue so heavily for people to make sure their decks are diverse in their win conditions and play options because you cannot just be an aggro deck and expect to be able to freely run someone down like you can in Magic or Hearthstone. Control decks can’t just sit back and stall for wins because both players act at all times. Jinx Draven aggro becoming Jinx/Draven/Ezreal was my personal eureka moment where I understood what the game actually is asking players to do and think about when deck building.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 2, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also, in all fairness the rotation in TFT made a lot of people (including streamers) furious, and that’s a game where you don’t even own the cards involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

DeePee posted:

Is that intended or a bug? I wouldn't have expected the Conspirator's "to play me" action to activate if it was from a "summon" action.

I also would not have expected it to recall all of their other units, but a win is a win :smug:

It wasn’t Conspirator if it recalled their board. That’s Solitary Monk who has it as a summon effect not a cost to play her.