Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This game rules. IMO it's better than Eternal as an overall game, and better than Magic Arena as a BO1 game. Heck it might be a better mechanical game than Magic. Just have to see how the development works over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

There’s frankly way too many different mechanics that have basically no counter play for this to be a stronger game mechanically. like Fiora for example there are just too many decks in the game that has literally no way of stopping that win condition, or puffcaps. There is nothing in MtG as annoying as Puffcaps.

I don't mean game card mechanics, so sorry for lack of clarity. I mean the actual way the game works.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

I've not had a single opponent that wasn't playing a control deck today, it's been utterly loving mind numbing.

I'm definitely seeing a small increase in direct-damage based removal decks. Small sample size, but yeah.

Qubee posted:

Ended up in a mirror match, was totally respectful to the opponent. I was coming out on top though, just overall playing better and making better trades, but zero emoji spam other than starting wave. 3rd round he plays a Laurent Challenger, so I play one as well. He attacks so I just block it. Next round, I summon a 2/1 challenger, he summons a 2/2 and 1/1 spider (from that card). I skip and he attacks and drags my Laurent guy in with his one. I prismatic barrier. He gets his 1/1 spider to single combat and break the barrier, but I single combat his 2/2 spider, get hit by the 1/1, and finish off his Laurent. So 3 kills for my 1.

Then near endgame, he starts spamming wave cause his Fiora is 3/4 and he's almost won. I topdeck prismatic barrier. I win the game and spam waving Braum. Felt so good. He got so salty he dragged the final attack out to like 1 min 30 seconds before it autoresolved.

PS: Garen + Brightsteel Formation is filthy. If you get to turn 9+ with a levelled Garen and Brightsteel Formation, you just keep hammering the attacks with everyone fully shielded.

Yeah, I really want to finish some Demacia midrange beefer deck. They are statistically amazing right now.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 25, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

There is literally nothing more tilting than the wave when someone lethals you

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Just build Elusives. It's dirt cheap and extremely good all the way to masters.

edit: however I found it dull after a bit and have been much more interested in Discard aggro with Draven/Jinx. It's so much fun and nearly as good, statistically.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 29, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I think expeditions are cool. But take too long.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can anyone point me to a really good explanation of timing and priority in this game? I still have times where I mess up.

Edit: found this https://www.reddit.com/r/LegendsOfRuneterra/comments/etavax/the_definitive_guide_to_lor_turn_structure_player/

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 1, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The quests in this game are absurdly easy.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hauki posted:

luv 2 get persistently roped on ladder

If the roping system wasn't so friggen' dumb. I think it literally will never time the other player out, and you are forced to sit through all the ropes as you kill them slowly.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Qubee posted:

agreed. also, expedition lasts ages, can I quit and come back to it another day or do I lose progress?

Take forever!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Since the game is on mobile if you get the apk directly, I've had more screwing around time on the game. I've realized that on non-ladder about half the players either instant concede or are AFK. It's amazing for XP. I've just hit 13+ vault already. If they want to play it out I'll either play or concede.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

No Wave posted:

It looks like there will be a very minor reward for ranking up (just an icon). Ranked seasons will normally be two months so if you want to push masters once it might be easier this month than later.

They didn't mention anything about a reward tree reset in the post, so maybe no rush to finish those needed?

I think reward tree is never going to be reset.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The real problem with unranked is most people, and I literally mean more than 50%, aren't playing unranked to actually play.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I've been using this week to test farming Normal mode for XP. It's mildly tedious but incredibly easy in your down time or if you have the mobile app. Based on .. maybe nearly 100 games, I dunno, I'd say about 1/4 of my games actually happen. Maybe half scoop immediately or if you indicate you will be playing at all and aren't also scooping. Another quarter just rope and never concede, but don't actually play. The last quarter are games that happen. Sometimes I will scoop if the matchup is horrid and they wanna play, or I mulligan and have like 4 5-drops, but I'll just play those out for fun.

I'm currently at +4 bonus capsules past vault13. It's ridiculous.

Certainly not something I wanna do every week I guess but it's so easy and mindless, and part of the run of the game for me right now is just the carrot of getting to a high collection percentage and also preparing for the new cards/set coming later this month. It's also been really good for moving me into the higher reward track bonuses on the regions to finish those off at least to 18 each (the last champ wild).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

No Wave posted:

I don't get it. I've played normal probably 100 times and have only gotten instant concedes 5 times. I see Zed/Hecarim more than anything else. I'm jealous, really, I'd enjoy the free XP.

I also see the same people surprisingly often. Like I've definitely seen 3-4 of the same account names at least 4x this week.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Qubee posted:

The advice you lot give is 10/10 and I'd say the reason I'm still playing this game today is because of the help and patience you guys had with my beginner questions.

CCGs rule, the game rules, learning rules, a good community rules.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mistaya posted:

A LOT of this game revolves around playing unit cards only when they can be protected. Like, you can play Zed with three mana. Then your opponent kills him with a 2 mana spell. poo poo. Or you can play Zed with 6 mana on the following turn, and then when your opponent tries to kill him you have three mana to use a spell of your own to protect him. They end up trading their spell for your spell and Zed goes on to do Zed things. This is what you want to do with your barriers vs. Frostbite. If they have a wolf on the board and you have a Garen in hand, don't play him until you draw the riposte to protect him.

A ton of this game is basically maximizing getting more value out of a card than your opponent, for sure, whether that's a small mana advantage in the example you are giving, or 2-for-1'ing them. If your 2/4 challenger unit gets 2 of their units off the battlefield, that's a huge win for you.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

Serious question: is Karma the most brokenly overpowered card in the game?

Depends how you define broken and OP. In many instances Elise feels broken and OP if you're on the wrong end of it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If you wanna aggro just force elusives imo

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Spoilers are starting.

Scout looks good, not sure how good. The champ seems maybe a little expensive though?

https://twitter.com/PlayRuneterra/status/1247569833136238594?s=20

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Are you trying to force it for a reason?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

What do (did) you consider the good deck types?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I found Frejlord heavy Ashe decks to be absurd, and I know Elusives is nearly busted if you get a concentration of Elusive units.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

After last week's feasting on conceding people in normal mode, I haven't had hardly any yet. Sad!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just now realized Elise flipped gives spiders Challenger. Looool

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Bannermen feels like it has an AWESOME control match up.

What

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This is turd bods complaint

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I've been messing with the Draven/Ez deck that basically buys time until you drop a leveled up Ez and go off with a bunch of Burst spells. Kinda fun, in the "I know this has to be irritating my opponent" kinda way, but not my favorite deck.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Firebert posted:

I do really hope they change Ezreal, every deck that runs him (and almost every region can build around him) is irritating as gently caress.

Yeah it's just a really boring way to play honestly, and I've only done it like 8x.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yasuo is gonna tilt me for awhile now I sus. What removal deals with him cleanly besides like a 4 mana beam or Vengeance at 7? Hope to Guillotine him? Going to have to go back to trick-based stuff I guess.

I figure a go-wide deck should be good enough against people trying Stun stuff, right? Can't stun all my stuff...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

No Wave posted:

If Yasuo really becomes an issue I imagine lux decks have a pretty good matchup. Lux Karma puts out a way higher winrate on ladder than you'd ever expect as is.

Lux Karma feels specifically designed to stomp Banner, for sure. Just goes over the top.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I would argue Runeterra decks don’t have more wincons, every deck just runs less removal than other games offer. This game seems very engineered around big clogged boards smashing into each other, which is why elusives was such a boogeyman for its entire existence.

It's still a t1 deck.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

This is sort of how I feel about the entire game. I just don’t really enjoy the way these champs snowball, I feel like this game has less counterplay and there are too many cards where the window of opportunity to get underneath them is only 1-2 turns, which would be fair if removal was good and reliable, but it isn’t.

But League of Legends was also super snowbally, maybe RIOT’s core design philosophy is just “if you’re winning early then you’re just winning!”

If you're not into it feel free to just stay in the magic thread

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

And this isn't me saying the game is beyond reproach, it's that you post too much and clearly aren't into the foundation of the game

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 16, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone have a Kalista deck they are into or think looks good?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Been playing this for a day on Normal, seeing a lot of actual decks (besides not much Demacia mid), and am like 12-2 or so? It's very fast.

https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/bqaagh7lke2725ciovt0

I was contemplating ditching a single Blade's Edge and a Statikk Shock for 2 Brothers' Bond, but interestingly killing your own creatures to avoid lifegain or drain from your opponent is frequently worth the 2-for-1, along with removing cheap blockers on the other side. I still am not sold on a low-damage spell like Statikk over maybe a singleton Jinx, but it DOES cycle or can be pitched to a Rummage or Get Excited if you need to I guess.

I do frequently love Brothers' Bond + Used Cask Salesman, however, as you can get some blowouts there.

Late game fuel from the Chump Whump + Rummage duo is really nice, as well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

This is pretty fun and it seems to actually force Ez/Karma players to get involved in the game but they still usually win and it seems to do really badly versus spiders, at least at my skill level :v:

Yeah spiders is probably just better. I definitely beat most slow decks with it. But I've switched to spiders again for trying to get to Plat. 2 wins left.

Edit: I think I won like 8 or 9 straight to make plat, sheesh.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 18, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

Is there a way to beat bannermen that I'm not seeing? Just got absolutely loving dunked on by the first one of those I ran into :v:

Go over the top. Slower big decks like Lux and Corina.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ahhhhhhhhhh GG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

I made it into gold with that deck but it just has no answers at all to spiders :smith:

Edit: just matched into my 3rd spiders game in a row lol

Spooders good. Try this version: https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/bqdgbkh8cr8ktmdtsda0