Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Last night I was on near mono Demacia (fiora, elites, with an SI splash for rekindler and vengeance) and my game 7 boss fight was against a balls deep mono Noxus Triple Darius deck. Just a poo poo ton of Overwhelm, tricks and Trifaran Glory Seekers. That was a cool rear end 7 wins and it was thrilling in a way that your 12 win HS arena deck or your 7win MTGA deck isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Spell Mana is the smallest little boost to making you feel less bad for fading some amount of mana in the early game, and not punishing you so severely from missing a 2 drops like in Hearthstone. Buying 3 expeditions in a week lets you draft (and get the exp bonus for trials) for free until the week is over? Every day the game wins me over slightly more.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

limited is fun because you're using all of the proverbial buffalo

but expedition is specifically fun because you build your deck as you go, and you're given generally synergistic cards. Even the worst card in a bucket has some use paired with the other cards in the same faction or deck archetype and I find it more enjoyable to figure out how to win within those limits and learn how to rate and appreciate cards outside of the very optimized constructed sphere.

PLUS I don't just pay once for the chance to 0-3 and get basically no value, I'm rolling dice with advantage.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Pilchenstein posted:

Is it just me or are mushrooms insanely strong in expedition now, especially in the first few games where the odds of the game dragging on are longer?

https://twitter.com/ShabaduEJ/status/1231358165792501760

I lost this game, but it ended up being a 7 win run anyway. (this was my opponent's deck, they drew 2! and I needed 3 on the turn they presented lethal)

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 24, 2020

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Teemo gets you the dumb numbers but you can just play control with heimer and whatever and go ham with puffcap peddlers and cantrips like so and dump all the mushrooms on the last half of their deck

Then you just stall for 2-3 turns and your oppo explodes

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

This is the best part about getting in on the ground floor of a free to play game. Being in the HS closed beta and the Eternal Open Beta meant having nearly full collections for free before other folk had even started playing. It made subsequent expansions and sets more affordable and you still had a sizeable lead on currency and overall skill by the time they started letting off the firehose.

Last week I played so much I hit max vault for the week Friday night. Free expeditions past your 3rd for the week is just the greatest thing.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

To the opponent on zero cards in hand that I just cast fiora judgement on, you will be remembered lol

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

This game has a rule of zone transfer resetting all text on a card, specifically so that recall works to reset a card that's been debuffed (or buffed). This is consistent to how Shark Chariot's text works because moving to the dead zone resets its text. It would probably require a re-write of the card for it to work like a (defending) player would want.

This is also wildly different from Eternal, where changes to cards are permanent and track from grave to hand to deck. That game has effects that can be applied to cards both temporary and permanent that prevent them from being removed from grave, plus the ultimate removal of putting a card on the bottom of the deck, which in a game with zero shuffling is basically banishment.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It's easier when you realize the odd faction cards in a deck come from specific buckets. Early in a run you can extrapolate from champions, but as they add champs the variety of buckets and trades offered will become slightly more varied. So there probably won't see much frostbite in a Noxus/Demacia/Frejlord once you've seen certain cards out of them because the Freljord splash in Noxus is mostly for the self damage enablers. Or if you see a Noxus/SI/Demacia deck you're probably playing against an Aristocrats style deck that wants units to die. It's unlikely you see Reckoning because it doesn't play with their gameplan.

This is the kind of thing I love about playing limited since you really do get rewarded for knowing more about what possibilities you're up against. Constructed tends to have much more common lines that you can easily telegraph.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

15 to trigger vs 20 in constructed. The cards even have different names, Accelerated Purrsuit is the expedition version.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Pick the champs you want to play first, then worry about the region. If you first pick Aggro (draven, katarina, jinx etc) You might need to go with a subpar Ionia pick on your second champ vs something like Frejlord if you're offered something like Braum or Anivia that are more controlling. That'd get you access to the elusives and tricks you'd need to better pair with your first pick.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It's as simple has having some number of Flash of Brilliance in your deck, a free spell that gives you a 3/1 evasive turret if you cast it with Heimer on the board. Eager Apprentice is a high pick for the deck since it gives you a chump that keeps your spell mana filled.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I committed some light crimes after seeing new Kalista:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It is pretty front loaded, more so than it is now where the expedition token was at 10 and you weren't guaranteed a weekly champ from your vault (I personally have never recieved one). You effortlessly hit 10 now if you're doing dailies and the free expedition, but all of the major rewards weekly aren't any higher than they were now, plus they actually come earlier. It ain't quite pack a day free like Eternal, or quite as efficient as keeping your draft cards in MTGA, but getting a Champion Wildcard is a pretty big deal for actually letting you play the deck you want.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I don't like elise, but I do like the vilefeast/frenzied skitterer package. Skitterer especially because it blunts those crucial turns before you can throw down karma with deny up. Throwing down karma on 5 naked or on 6 with Mists Call up is totally fine. You kinda want a karma dead for the chance you can double them and really run away with the game.

the list I run has Solitary Monk as a hedge against elusives and also a wincon, you're very unit light so it rarely has a downside. It's a cool target for mist's call too.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Nothing brings me closer to climax than a leveled Yasuo intimidating roar wiping an entire board full of dorky elusives or spiders.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Super Librarian posted:

Before Kalista's rework, I had three consecutive weeks of 7-win expeditions with Lucian/Kalista decks. I think they just end up feeding you a ton of good cards

Absolutely no one knows how to block new Kalista, it's absurd. But to be fair, what are you supposed to do about this in draft?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

My last draft was a Bilge/SI maokai deck that really went hard on ephemeral and the 5 mana 2/4 drain guy. I ended up swapping out Nautilus for a Kalista for the final battle and it was absolutely correct.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

No Wave posted:

If you think opening hands in this game feel worse than MTG you haven't played MTG recently or at all. This game does so much to make real games happen and MTG does gently caress all. The only reason a non-game feels worse in this game is because it's not something you're expecting to happen 30% of the time.

have you played arena or magic at all since ikoria came out? between the land smoothing algorithm in best of 1, london mulligan and companions, the game has not been this consistent in practically forever

but games with lands/influence systems and something that's even more generous than hearthstone mana aren't really comparable and shouldn't be directly compared

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I've been having decent success with Noxus/SI and Noxus/Bilge aggro but they're not as free as the Quinn pick every Grizzled Ranger decks

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It's because the proc is on damage instead of something on attack, which opens a window for the opponent. If you would have a full board going into combat and you have a vile feast on the stack, when combat happens and space opens, you should get the spider.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

So far, this seems a bit more narrow than Eternal Card Game aegis because the only card we know works "for one turn", but 3 mana burst to counter a removal spell seems fine.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm playing a professor yip poro deck because I love to high roll, just slamming down a 38 power challenger overwhelm heart of the fluft and praying they dont' have a recall or a vengeance

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

If this weren't League of Legends, with ten years of alt universe skins that are the primary way the game makes money, I would probably be less happy with this type of event. As it stands I'm just ambivalent. This is the age of the vtuber, this poo poo is going to happen more over time and either we accept it or move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm playin Soraka/Tahm Kench because I don't need a menu.