Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I played in both closed beta for this game and felt it was fun but not amazing.

I was looking forward to being able to play again, but my own my lack of enthusiasm surprised me when I realized I had to do all the tutorials again to unlock the shards/pass to do expedition, and kind of just shut the game off. Why is there not an option to skip this and just get the rewards?

I'm an arena/draft player only and I will say the expeditions were neat in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
For those folks who are arena only type people, this game is actually very generous.

You go infinite on a 6 win run as long as you are willing to cash in the champion you get from in it (3000 trade in + 1000 shard prize). If you get to 7 wins, that's just gravy, and let's you build up a reserve for those bad runs where you don't get 6 or 7. You get two shots to do this each time as well.

I don't see it being that difficult to go infinite provided you don't mind destroying champion cards.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

goferchan posted:

Wait how do you destroy cards? I thought you only got shards if you already had all the champions

Oh, really? I saw the shard cost when I right clicked on the champions in the deck builder and figured they could be trashed for that value. It doesn't let you do that?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Monathin posted:

You can't get any more than 3 of any given card. It stops you from crafting additionals if you have 3, and any you pick up vis a vis capsules/chests/etc either get rerolled or turned to shards depending.

But are you allowed to deconstruct cards into shards?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Ah, then I amend my statement. It's not friendly to arena at all. It's actually pretty awful since 6th play only gives you 1000 shards.

I guess the goal would be to keep switching the regions and rush for champion decks as soon as possible to fill out all your champs x3, but with 24x3= 72 options that doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Imagined posted:

Is there a way for a Challenger to choose "I don't want anyone to block me"? Because I could swear an opponent did this to me but I've never been able to figure out how to do it myself.

Do you mean have a challenger attack face? Isn't that the default? You have to grab a card manually to make them hook someone? Maybe I'm not understanding the question though.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Baller Time posted:

Hoo boy. Better not use Dawn and Dusk on a card that has detained something. The detain is part of the "exact copy".

It would be super cool if you could do this to enemy units. Not only do you get 2x of your units back, you clog up their board with 2 ephemeral units, which might mess up their plans to summon their own stuff.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Went 7 wins with heimer/cataclysm with demacia as my secondary today, the demacia unit summoning spells are great and got some good value out of either making a 3/3 on turn 2, or waiting and making two 3/3's on 3 with the silence after spellcast guy.

The key is having enough removal and chump blockers and some whumps to generate trash cards for rummage targets for you to get heimerdinger online and then you win if he stays on the board.

Also Remembrance is a strictly better Unlicensed Innovation.

It seems like Remembrance always pulls that 5/5 toughness/lifesteal bastard.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've only been doing expeditions since this game came out. Even after your first 3, the exp reward is pretty great if you can get 5+ wins. Is there any sort of reward system for ranked play?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Best expedition win had me going into turn 11-12 with 3 life and my opponent with around 17. They dropped a 14/14 They Who Endure. I possessed it, hit him with it, and then used atrocity to kill him with it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Draft Heimer and removal, which isn't as luck based as it sounds given that P&Z have access to both mystic flare & thermogenic beam. I just 7-0 in expedition with Hemier x3, Ezreal, 6 mystic flares, 3 thermogenic beams.

You do have to put some thought into playing Heimer decks. It's generally not a good idea to slap Heimer down right on turn 5, especially if you are first to act. You want to play him on a turn where you can cast spells for immediate value & after your opponent has spent their mana. If you can pair him with a faction that has recall or barrier, even better.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pilchenstein posted:

My draft token this week got me zero wins with a zed/kalista aggro deck and 2 wins with a heimer/shen deck. My biggest problem apart from heimer decks almost never coming off (he just seems to be a complete trap at my skill level and I should stop picking him tbh) is drafting to a curve - I either have to pick poo poo cards that require some kind of combo (which I obviously will not get) to provide any value or the game only offers me low cost spells and no units.

Edit: and my champion card was lucian, so big loving whoop there :v:

You have to be mindful of the faction combinations you pick in expedition. Ionia, Shadow Islands, and P&Z's common minions are mostly full of low cost / low stat dudes. If you pair them together you are going to have a rough mid-late game. I think having good 4 & 5 drops is actually really important as it's rather easy to survive that long as long as you aren't going against a really well drafted Noxious or Spider deck.

I've had great success with Heimer in expedition, but I either pair him with Demacia or go pure P&Z and take a massive amount of removal.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Monathin posted:

Not sure if anyone here cares, but it sounds like a bunch of people have already found a bunch of dummied out audio in the game for additional Champs/Regions, most of its available here.

Sounds like the first expansion regions will be Targon and Bilgewater, with a bunch of new champions added. Bilgewater will have Gangplank, MF, Fizz, TF, and Tahm Kench, while Targon will have Leona, Taric, Diana, Zoe, and Aurelion Sol. Looks like Quinn and Shyvana will be added to Demacia as well, and Vi and Viktor to P&Z, Sejuani to Freijord? Skimming through these.

Not sure if that's all coming at once or not but it would be interesting to see.

Bold of them to already being adding entire new regions. I would have figured they would wait at least a year to flesh out the existing ones, make sure they all have synergy with each other in different ways, see what works & doesn't work, etc...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Their official plan is that every new region will come with new support for the other regions (generally themed to work with the new region) and also one new champion. Each new region will release with whatever the correct amount of champions for that release would be, and equal amounts of cards to other regions.

I wonder what their plan is for expanding the existing cards pool in all regions vs. simply adding new regions. Maybe they will go for a tighter more focused card pool in each region with few additions once a region is released, and instead focus on creating tons of new regions to add diversity to the game through combination synergy.

It would be a very different approach to any other card game that has come before it that I'm familiar with.

Also hot drat, I'm off to a good start this month. I've done 1.5 expeditions (3 trials) and I'm 6 wins, 7 wins, 7 wins. I had a mono-SI deck with 3 Kalistas and it was pretty insane.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
As an expedition only player this is a mixed bag. I've never played a single ranked match, but I only have 7 champion cards left to go, so expeditions was definitely good to me in terms of earning more cards. The cheaper cost is a good thing though. I'm sitting on about 23K shards so I have a nice safety net for playing infinitely.

I wanted to see what would happen to the champion cards from expedition runs once you already had a full set (if it became a wildcard or just gave you 3000 extra money), but I don't think I'll make it in time now.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

No Wave posted:

expeditions are seriously bad. Same stupid decks for the past two months. There is absolutely nothing to the format besides picking demacia or elusives (or both!). Like I wish there was more to it but dang.

This is just flat out wrong. Other than Heimer and Freeze which the poster above me mentioned, just going pure Noxious aggression is super viable. I just got two 7 runs in a single week going Noxious aggro, and both times all 7 matches only took like an hour or two because that deck either wins on turn 6 or loses.

After the elusive nerf I actually rarely see them doming in expedition like they used. I think people have also starting drafting smarter in terms of getting hook guys to deal with them.

Oh and Kalista decks are totally viable and quite strong now. They give you huge mid game power. I got a 7 win with one of those as well.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pilchenstein posted:

I think they've finally pushed draft to the point where you can safely ignore it beyond doing your free run now, which is great because draft mode largely sucks unless you enjoy picking the same 2 or 3 decks over and over and over and/or being utterly destroyed for trying anything fun or different :v:

This isn't even true and get's shot down each time it's brought up. There's plenty of draft archetypes that work. If draft isn't your thing in card games that's cool, but as someone who exclusively plays draft in all card games I can tell you LOR's draft mode is actually quite good.

The same way you guys feel about draft I feel about constructed in pretty much all card games. How is it fun to just play the same 3-4 decks streamers make for you against other people doing the same thing? That's what most of this thread is, people just sharing net decks. Sounds super boring. The only game that was any fun in was Duelyst, where the actually playing of the decks varied greatly because of the grid.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pilchenstein posted:

I've been trying a bunch of different deck types in draft the past few days and this just isn't true at my skill level. Heimer/Lux/midrange Demacia are the only things that are even remotely reliable, in large part due to how well they can recover from a bad starting hand and/or make the most of a poor deck curve. It doesn't help that I'm only actually guaranteed to break even at 7 wins now (though in practical terms 5+ is likely to break even and things will improve with the new set, for a while at least). I do enjoy draft but if you're not great at the game it's basically a crapshoot more than half of the time :v:

I will give you some advice.Get to open play so you can practice this before doing it in a real draft.

Draft Noxus (Anything other than Vlad) + Ionia (Zed) or preferably Noxus + Noxus (rare combination). Now draft only 1, 2, and 3 cost cards with the exception of Crowd Favorite at (4), Decimate at (5), and maybe one Captain Farron at (8) if you see it. When drafting ignore every bucket that isn't Noxus.

Your deck should be 90% 1, 2, or 3 cost cards. Cards to prioritize are (1) Legion Saboteur, (2) Legion Grenadier, (2) Trifarian Hopeful, (3) Reckless Trifarian. The only spells you want are (2) Brother's Bond and (3) Might. I usually end up with a bunch of Precious Pets, House Spiders, and Legion Drummers as well and that's fine.

Slam down everything you can ASAP and just keep hitting face. The only time you should not attack if you would make a pointless trade and you are holding a crowd favorite in hand so you want to keep the bodies. It's usually worth it to play all you cards before you attack, because you will be playing better value cards than them (Reckless Trifarian is a stat monster).

I just got 7 wins 3x in a row doing this week. I think I won with it twice last week. This deck usually wins by turn 5-6. If you go against anything slow that can't drop a card until turn 4 you pretty much automatically win.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pilchenstein posted:

So after three expeditions, I've got a total of seven wins - the results were 6-4, 0-2 and 1-2. My fourth expedition didn't offer a noxus champ (or even a champ pick that was paired with noxus).

Keep practicing.

If you are making it 6 runs in and still have a ton of high cost units, you are either using your post games trades poorly or getting extremely unlucky. For example I am 6 wins in to my 4th open draft doing this. I have 8 cards total that are above 4 mana. This was actually my worst draft yet and I got a bunch of those 6/5 5 mana fear guys, but I steadily just swapped them all out for 1, 2, and 3 drops with trades.

I actually have no brother's bonds this time, 3x Darius and no Draven sadly, and way fewer 1 drops than I like, but it's still working. This time around I've been making use of Whirling Death more often to keep their unit count lower than mine.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think there are enough Aggro cards for that to be a reliable archetype in limited. You’re hoping for basically tons of multiples of like 5 cards

There undoubtedly are. I literally scored 7 wins 4x in a row with it last week. I think I did it 3x the week before.

When trading you strive for your deck to have >10 cards that are > 4 mana, and most of those should be exactly 4 mana cards. You should be able to manage 3x or 4x copies of some of the core cards as they are common.

Understanding what to mulligan in the beginning is also important. It makes a huge difference if you are attacking on the 1st & 3rd turn vs the 2nd and 4th turn. Getting opening hands that secure you the most damage based on this turn order is crucial, as by turn 5-6 on you can generally win by just sneaking in a tiny of amount of damage via numerical superiority or using might.

Common: Legion regarguard, precious pet, legion saboteur, trifarian hopeful, legion drummer, brother's bond, legion grenadier, might, and reckless trifarian. These are the most important cards in the deck other than crowd favorite and they are all common.

Rare Cards: trifarian gloryseeker, arena battlecaster, crowd favorite, decisive maneuver, and decimate. Crowd favorite is by far the best of this group.

None of the epics are needed. I might grab a single Kato or Farron, but only if the bucket makes sense. I will often pass them up if there are buckets with better commons/rares.

I usually pair it with Ionia so if my noxus buckets are bad I can grab Sparring Student, Greenglade Duo, or Zed instead.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 9, 2020

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Jinx is easily the worst champ in draft. Draft is a mode where card advantage wins most of the time. If you purposefully empty your hand and do anything other than win imminently, you've probably thrown the game.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

piL posted:

Jinx when flipped let's you draw two.

You would need to design the deck to easily go through a hand of cards. That means lot of low cost stuff and cards that make you discard, which are really only worth it to activate Jinx. P&E's low cost offerings are not good. Their minions have poor stats in general, especially their cheaper ones.

What happens when you don't draw Jinx? What happens if someone just uses a removal spell on Jinx after you've cleared your hand?

I think I've seen one successful Jinx deck ever in my time playing draft.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Finicums Wake posted:

4 for a 4/3 quick attack that levels up late game into a bomb is not the worst champ lmao. if you try and dump cards for no reason to trigger the level up and make bad plays, then it's bad. but otherwise it's not

I mean just for it's body it's not a bad card period, but compared to other champions in draft mode, what's worse than it? Teemo because he's so easily removed, and uh, that's probably it? Braum is another card that's heavily dependent on getting other buff cards, but generally I'd rather have Braum than Jinx.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Wooh. Got every single champion x3 playing just draft without using a single wildcard. Now to see what happens if I randomly get a champion in a pack.

I also maxed out each region's rewards. Weird that they don't let you reset or prestige or something.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 22, 2020

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Expedition is really ignorant right now. No one knows what they are doing. People inadvertently getting huge combos or missing them every turn.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Don't all Poro decks just loose to Will of Ionia? At least that's what I've seen happen in expedition several times.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
After playing about 7 drafts my initial impression is the new cards are a net negative on the expedition mode. There's too many ways to draw new cards now and it doesn't feel like board control means anything anymore. The plunder mechanic tends to be annoying and uncircumventable in a lot of circumstances. Several times I've pilfered only to draw a pilfer from the enemy deck, and well whoops I suddenly have 3 card advantage on you for 4 mana. I also think fast decks have gotten even better and slow decks worse, because with cards like Miss Fortune and other automatic damage whenever you attack cards, you can quickly be dealing 10~ damage to the board on turn 3.

These impression are about expedition only.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 2, 2020

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
You must be insane if you think Nautulus/Deep is bad in expedition. That along with shadow islands abusing Neverglade Collector are the two most powerful draft archetypes I've seen so far this week. It's easy to get to 15 cards in draft and then suddenly you are flooding the board with more stats than Demacia at a better cost.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

threelemmings posted:

That aspect is cool to watch as it creates some fun mind games. Like you need to frostbite their garen but you can't do it until you think you've baited out the single combat or justice, so you have to decide would you rather take a bad block and hope they cast something passing action back to you or gamble they don't have it and use the debuff early. Countering the things even if you're not specifically using deny.

These interactions are the meat of this game imo. That and silly complicated combat spell stack where each person tries to get initiative on spell order to use something that cancels the 4 previous spells cast.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Man Kalista/Neverglade Protector is so good in expedition. How long until they nerf Neverglade's health from 4 to 3?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I just don't like the idea of stealing from an opponents deck. It is too luck based. This expansion in general increased the randomness in the game, which I don't enjoy.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Form an expeditions standpoint it's also absurd to think you can prevent damage at your nexus, so basically pilfer is pure card advantage. In ranked match ups people might have decks that trade speed for an OTK or control kicks in at certain point which is expected with that deck archetype.

If you can shut down someone so hard they can't damage your nexus in expedition, you've already won. And if you can't the card stealing cards just so drat good.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
As someone who only plays expedition, what the hell was going on in constructed that warranted that change to Jae Medara?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If I have access to pretty much every card in the game what is the strongest/easiest deck to build for gauntlet? This will be my first time playing non-expedition mode so I am definitely not used to the meta for standard and basically need an easier deck to execute on.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The new Shadow Islands champion Nocturne is a pretty garbage design in my opinion. We've never seen a champion so pigeonholed. To level up it requires you attacking with creatures that have the new nightfall keyword. Can't really have much versatility with that sort of requirement.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

He is just a different flavor of Ashe, exact same stats, exact same win condition of a unblockable board.

I think he is way worse based on his ability. Ash has an incredibly strong free frost on the strongest enemy. This ability is useful in any deck, has no activation cost, and even if you end up with Ashe in deck with no frost cards in expedition, she can activate herself with her ability.

Nocturne's level up condition is not self-perpetuating and seems harder to trigger in general. In addition to even use his ability you have to play 2 cards, meaning it's limited as you will eventually run out of cards at that rate.

At least from the viewpoint of expedition, Nocturne is way worse

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pilchenstein posted:

Noc's level up is "you've attacked with 5+ nightfall allies" so if he's the only nightfall unit you have, he can flip himself by attacking 5 times, just like Ashe. Also nightfall is an on play effect, not something you trigger repeatedly so you only get his "grant an enemy vulnerable and give enemies -1/0 this round" when you first play him (if he's not your first card that turn).

Ah, yes, I did not count that he would level himself up just like Ash. Good point.Although his nightfall ability only being a one time trigger is pretty bad. So he's just a 5/3 with fear until he levels up?

He really seems worse than Ashe in most ways.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm much more impressed with the daybreak cards than the Nightfall. Daybreak is a mechanic that essentially rewards you for playing on curve, and some of these abilities are quite strong for doing just that.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So if you have a board of daybreak dudes, Leona, and play her signature, you end up stunning as many of their dudes as you have daybreak minions? That's a nice combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I think I heard someone say the new cards are dropping Wednesday? I haven't opened my vault from Thursday yet. Is the correct move to keep it that way and open on Wednesday after the patch?