Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Truthkeeper posted:

With ten minutes sunk into the game you are already insultingly better at wall-jumping than I am.

I have been playing that game since 1995 and I can never manage a wall jump reliably. I don't know if it's timing or what, but my hands just don't move right no matter how much I've tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Agreeing with the general concept of Natural20 being good enough to do fancy tricks, but not good enough to know when to stop.

So yeah, we're going to find him somehow doing speed run tricks and fumbling into reverse boss order or something.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Dash Rendar posted:

Is it possible to get to the Maridia boss without any mobility upgrades? That would be glorious to watch. Instant gold.

The most recent GDQ had a kaizo hack of Super Metroid, and they mention one of the changes was adding blocks to a certain room to make it possible. The one with the floaty fish you can grapple beam. Other than that one room though, they were suitless, and only had High jump for mobility.

My most recent playthrough had an 'oops' moment where I used wall jumping to get Wave Beam, opened Crocomire before getting speed booster, then had to bomb-jump my way out because I couldn't get grapple beam.

Elfface fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 31, 2020

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Please don't tell me you're still using the default control scheme. Super Metroid's default controls are the most baffling thing ever (seriously Select for changing weapons?) and should be altered at first chance.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I actually don't mind select for weapon switch.

However I absolutely agree it should be switched to duplicate Mega Man X controls. Crab Claw for running FTW.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah weapon switching with select isn't bad, and the only other places it could really be (L/R or a face button) are either worse or already used for stuff I don't want to change. What really bothered me was the fire/jump/run controls, IIRC.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
L to run, R to aim up, B to jump, Y to shoot, X for weapon select, A for weapon cancel.

:colbert:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Honestly I've always felt like the SNES controller has one button too few to make an actually good control scheme for Super Metroid possible.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I don't think I'll ever understand the X shoot and A jump defaults for this game. Really early games could almost be forgiven because the extra buttons were new and everyone was used to B shoot and A jump (although SNES-era games that used B jump and A shoot have no excuse), but Super Metroid was late enough that B was firmly established as The Button What Makes The You Jump (TM). I don't know anyone who has played any other game and didn't change it to Y shoot, B jump. I can see the appeal of using a trigger for run, but I felt A run and X cancel worked well enough, and for some reason, I switched the triggers and got used to it and now can't remember which was which by default.

Shadow of the Colossus using Triangle for jump is beyond the scope of this post.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
e: nvm, nothing to see here.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Honestly I've always felt like the SNES controller has one button too few to make an actually good control scheme for Super Metroid possible.

Even though they have two fewer buttons, the GBA games feel so much better with the shoulder buttons being modifiers to toggle special weapons/45 degree aim. If/when we get a Super Metroid remake, I hope they adopt that style of control. I didn't care for the touch screen toggles from Samus Returns.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Usually my stuff is preloaded and debuts on my channel at airtime on its own so if I don't post an update (usually due to Friday drinking) then it'll still go up on YouTube.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 1, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think most of us had reason to drink last night, at least.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Is that... Thomas Pynchon?"
"No, it's a reference to Goku."

Somehow this exchange keeps cracking me up. It's basically the essence of co-commentated LP.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
As far as I can recall, there's only one spot in Super Metroid where it actually makes you walljump and it's demonstrated what you need to do very, very thoroughly.

At the very least, I was always abysmal at it and I remember being able to clear the game (though not near 100%) without issue.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
There's been an excellent "Nat brought his own rope" quality to this

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I remember reaching the mandatory wall-jump area, being perfectly aware of what I was expected to do, having previously seen a similar situation that taught me how to Shinespark, which was required to leave the area, yet being unable to do it even the tiny bit needed to progress. And I had saved in that situation. Finally, I found a way to Shinespark in the tiny area provided, which got me out of there without the expected reward. That wasn't the only time I completely failed to grasp a basic game mechanic and found a workaround.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Nidoking posted:

I remember reaching the mandatory wall-jump area, being perfectly aware of what I was expected to do, having previously seen a similar situation that taught me how to Shinespark, which was required to leave the area, yet being unable to do it even the tiny bit needed to progress. And I had saved in that situation. Finally, I found a way to Shinespark in the tiny area provided, which got me out of there without the expected reward. That wasn't the only time I completely failed to grasp a basic game mechanic and found a workaround.

I didn't know you could get out like you did, my only way out of that area has been to hand the controller to somebody else.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

You can also bomb jump your way out of that situation as well. :downsgun:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
The insistence on wall jumping after opening the door to the high jump room was glorious,

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Still expecting to see Nat20 wall jump his way into a situation he shouldn't be in.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I finally got a chance to watch the previous episode and was anxious about just how quickly you'd realize you were on fire before your fraction of a life ran out or you ran out of the room.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I don't think bounty hunter is a cultural difference for all of Japan, just a misunderstanding on the part of the folks at Nintendo who used it for "cool space explorer". Mercenary or Ronin could describe her as well.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Bounty Hunter, Mercenary, WMD, there's lots of options.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bruceski posted:

I don't think bounty hunter is a cultural difference for all of Japan, just a misunderstanding on the part of the folks at Nintendo who used it for "cool space explorer". Mercenary or Ronin could describe her as well.
"Mercenary" has a lot of the same "gun-for-hire" connotations as "bounty hunter", perhaps even more so. The answer is obvious; make the setting Space Wild West and call her a Drifter, or go with the half-garbled in translation Wild Arms option of "Dream Chaser".

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Congrats on collecting the Spazer after the high=jump boots, and so missing an opportunity to wall-jump kinda-sequence-break.

And my theory on what happens to Samus' power-ups is that after stealing hyper-technology made by now-extinct super-geniuses (who lost/purposely destroyed all their notes?) them from sealed orbs in shrines, she swims/slowly walks in lava, get bashed by giant claws, shot with lasers, electrocuted, irradiated, fired out of giant cannons and generally beat up in several ways. Frankly, she's lucky they survive to the end of the mission, and there's nobody left alive who knows how to fix them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Banner art will be up a little later than normal!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 8, 2020

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Everyone else cringed at the end when he super missiled the "worst enemy in the game", right?

If anyone hasn't played/has forgotten, the joke is those grabber snake things can be frozen, and freezing them will even give you something to stand on so you don't fall in the spikes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh noooooooooooooooooooo

He got spazer and ice beam

oh dear

OH DEAR

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This is why it's a bad idea to let someone playing the game for the first time wall jump.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That was a cool video, watching you find so many tools one after the other. That reminds me, many streams of games like these (action adventure/metroidvanias etc) have started getting in the habit of calling the various tools you find that help you reach new places 'verbs'. Does anyone know what's the origin of that?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yaay, wave beam sequence break! See spoilers in an earlier post of mine for more details on why it's tricky, but since the dynamic duo are heading back to Brinstar, they shouldn't be able to skip anything important.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I'm proud of you pulling off a major sequence break getting the wave beam. But your attempts at wall jumping everything are still frustrating.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That was a cool video, watching you find so many tools one after the other. That reminds me, many streams of games like these (action adventure/metroidvanias etc) have started getting in the habit of calling the various tools you find that help you reach new places 'verbs'. Does anyone know what's the origin of that?

Verb is such a fundamental construct of language, that the word has found its way into many design, engineering and programming lexicons. In game design, I think Chris Crawford is considered to be the author who introduced the idea in the context of video games and interactive story telling.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I've seen "verb" used as a general term for "what can you DO in a videogame", especially in the context of blind LPs. So in the first episode for example, when thinking about how to destroy the rock, one could say "consider your verbs" which are run, jump, duck, morph ball, and shoot and that's basically it, and one of them needs to be the solution.

But yeah, it's also a thing to think about in more general design terms, for example when your verb is "jump", you can do a lot of things with "a jump" but maybe it's a little limited as vocabulary, so you add things like "jump high" or "running jump", or new verbs like "grapple". And then you think about what you can do with grapple, like "grapple to enemies" or "drag blocks" and so on.

It also helps when you design a verb like "erase red squares" and you realize that this is the only thing it does and that's super boring and limited, so you have to expand it to "erase red THINGS" or whatever.

As for another thing talked about in the video, Mega Man X4 is still good but X5 and 6 are in fact dogshit. X7, on PS2, is somehow even worse than 6 but X8 is decent and worth a try, it just has too many drat gimmick stages. I only got the X5-8 Legacy collection on Switch (not the first for X1-4) because I have brain issues and love terrible games, for the record.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright, didn't think the term's origin would be so relatively early, interesting to know!

As for X5, I'd say it's alright up until you get past the 8 Mavericks if you ignore the dumb 'intentionally waste time so you can get the upgrades', but after that it's definitely terrible so not really worth playing. Also Duff McWhalen's level sucks.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nice to hear your stance on Blizzard; I quit playing their games at that point and still feel like an idiot about it most of the time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm just sad that it's now impossible that he will ever accidentally discover Charge Beam combos the way I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The funny thing is that instead of walljumping up to the super missile door, you could have done a running jump from the save room and wall jumped up the other ledge and skipped all that long way around to the wave beam and speed booster.

Also you suddenly forgot about the other missile tank.