Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Natural 20: "I'm going to shoot everything!"

Also Natural 20: "What do I do about these blocks?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ItBreathes posted:

Iirc it isn't.

The game is totally fine with you getting into Maridia at this point in the game and actually probably quite pleased you figured out you can use power bombs for this. PROGRESSING through Maridia though? That's not what the devs were expecting

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

If anyone cares "Shine Spark" was originally a thing from 70s giant robot series "Getter Robo G", though in practice it works more like the more powerful version performed by the Shin Getter Robo, though I'm not sure whether the Shin Shine Spark actually predates Super Metroid.

Also fully agreeing Nat is bizarrely anti-genre saavy. It's kind of fascinating to see how badly he crosses his signals.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bruceski posted:

But since we already know what the solution is, it's "obvious".

I don't exactly hold it against Nat for not doing things like getting the one missile in the lovely crumble block room in the Norfair cul-de-sac, but it's fascinating how differently he plays blind vs how I played it blind as a kid years ago. Kid me had absolutely zero trouble figuring out "Shoot the block!" in the Morph Ball room, but for the life of me it took forever to get to Power Bombing into Maridia. Natural 20 now has way more experience with the genre than kid me ever had, but both of us played really differently, had very different blind spots, and ended up travelling through the game in very different ways.

So in a semi-related note, Placing bets, how long do you think it'll take to get out of Lower Norfair?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

As a kid I got the power bomb pack by not being careful with my positioning and dropping a power bomb right over the fake rafflesia and falling in. However in a blind run my friend had no trouble going "wait, why isn't there a thing in the third one? That's weird."

I'm not going to say it's "obvious", especially since I remember it pretty clearly nowadays, but the game did put up signposts if you're on the right wavelength to see them.

Also Nat scanning every part of the room but the secret passage with the X-Ray Scope was :discourse: as hell

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I am totally, without reservations, excited for Nat 20 to watch the world record Super Metroid any% just to see him lose his goddamn mind. For those not hip to the current Speedrun route for that category just know for starters it gets its first power bombs eight and a half minutes into the run.

Meanwhile in this playthrough I'm rather pleased with Nat finally starting to get hip to the groove of the game. And using the X-Ray visor more.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Zanzibar Ham posted:

DQs 4-6 are called the Zenithian trilogy, though I unfortunately don't really know if they're as connected as the first DQs or if they only share having the Zenithian gear and such.

There's a couple of odd references back and forth across the three games, but nothing actually plot relevant. Mostly it's just the Zenithian gear.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bremen posted:

I guess I'm kind of weird, or at least different, because I find the high speed action and jumping of modern platformers very frustrating but find the slower, more laid back jumping and grappling beam swinging we saw in this video to be a lot of fun. It actually took me by surprise when Nat spontaneously started talking about how frustrating it was.

Not the quicksand though. That stuff is definitely annoying.

See, I actually like high speed platforming action, but I also really enjoyed the Maridia Grapple Beam portions. It felt a lot like Ristar, and Ristar is maybe my favorite or second favorite platformer ever.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bremen posted:

No offense, but I don't see how the hell you can love walljumping so much and then complain about the spacejump being frustrating and difficult :colbert:. I played Super Metroid for years and never got good at wall jumping but the space jump always felt quite intuitive to me.

As for Draygon, I've always seen the "easy" way of beating him to be practically a secret/easter egg. I mean, I can see how you could stumble onto it - Nat nearly did in this video - but I don't think it's really the intended or expected way to fight him. Incidentally, he only "grabs" you if you get caught in the stuff he spits out (that slows you down if it sticks to you); spamming missiles wasn't preventing him from grabbing you so much as it was destroying the projectiles before they touched you.

And a thing Nat did without noticing is that if you mash buttons and Draygon flails around he can't actually deal damage to you. It reduces 400 damage to about 40, and it's funny Nat missed it because he kept on complaining about how unfair the raw damage of the grab was.

Also I guarantee the thing Tea is thinking of isn't used in speedruns anymore, they just Shine Spark Draygon these days.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Eagerly looking forward to the promised "Nat and Tea watch a speedrun"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Re: Phantoon:

Phantoon goes into his Hell Jumping Rope mode ONLY if he is hit with a Super Missile. The Speedrun fills him with regular missiles until he explodes specifically so they don't have to deal with that pattern and the long period of invincibility.

Re: Varia Suit:

The Speedrun grabs it to survive Mother Brain's Rainbow Beam. You need to be hit with it at least once and it deals 300 Damage with the Varia suit. The Gravity Suit DOES NOT reduce the damage from the Rainbow Beam, with only the Gravity Suit you need 6 energy tanks to survive it, so the choice is between one suit pickup or three extra tank pickups. I believe Reverse Boss Order does skip the Varia suit because it needs about that many E-Tanks to get through Norfair without the Varia Suit in the first place.

Re: Weird Purple Attack on Draygon:

That's known as an "X-Factor". If you equip Charge and only one other beam, charge up, select Power Bomb, and roll into a ball you'll use a Power Bomb to do a special attack, one different for each beam. The Wave Beam is 4 bouncing wave beams, hence why it's called "X-Factor". It's quite strong if you hit 3 or 4 of them.

Re: Zebetites:

Mother Brain's weird barrier things fall victim to a similar clip you saw where the runner just yoinks Samus up through the ceiling in a couple of rooms. By freezing a projectile in a certain way you can wedge yourself in the wall and go through. Each Zebetite only spawns after the last one is killed (SNES game, gotta save on sprites SOMEWHERE) you can clip through one and just waltz on over to fight Mother Brain. Easy Peasy. They get exactly the number of Missiles/Supers to kill Mother Brain's first form, then they just have to play perfectly with Charge Beam Shots.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Geemer posted:

Too bad Samus Returns dropped most of it to focus ridiculously hard on its new gimmick, leaving Zero Mission as still the best 2D Metroid.

Samus Returns made intensely stupid and obnoxious decisions about a number of aspects of its gameplay. To date it is the only Metroid since the original I genuinely do not like.

Also if we're talking about pain watching GDQ you should check out the GDQ run of Samus Returns which twice has the runner sitting there in morph ball rolling back and forth for literal minutes while the commentator is on unlimited donation mode until he succeeds at a glitch randomly clips into the floor to skip a huge chunk of the game. Alternately if you really hate yourself watch the Super Metroid 100% Map Speedrun where the runner and couch talk like they walked in off of /v/ and mock donation comments. I have plenty of regard for many speedruns and speedrunning, but I'm just done with GDQ and many of its adjacent events.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I never played Other M, nor have I played Federation Forces. I'm speaking purely of the Metroid games I've actually played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MonsterEnvy posted:

What's people's issue with Samus Returns. That was great fun.

My personal issue was the extreme damage enemies did. Even regular garbo enemies did stupidly huge amounts of damage, much less bosses who could easily drain an E-Tank a hit. The shear amount of damage output was not helped by how stingy the game was with E-Tanks, and the end result was that I died way more in Samus Returns than any other Metroid game. Moreover many of my deaths felt unfair, the combination of ultra high damage for even a scrape and extremely durable major enemies and bosses (god help you if you aren't parrying everything ever) made big fights a slog, and this is a remake of Metroid 2 where the game is BUILT on fighting boss tier enemies to progress. And it's clear to me this was absolutely a deliberate ongoing design decision considering that immediately after the area you got the Varia suit enemy damage output doubled so there was functionally no change in survivability, and before you wonder enemy damage does indeed double again after the Gravity suit.

Shoutouts also to the Power Bomb boss for being the ascension of this problem, the boss did stupid high damage with a twitchy and obnoxious hitbox and it was real easy to take collision damage doing what you needed to do to hurt him, and of course collision damage was some 80 energy at a point where your energy max was something like 700.

Ultimately I just found that the game was not fun to play. Metroid Prime may have incredibly bullet spongey enemies, but at the very least they aren't eating an Energy Tank every time you take a poke.