Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
a long time ago computers were really big. then they made computer small. as a sign of our degenerate culture many people opt for bigger computers still even though they can be living the tiny computer life.

apple wowed the world with the tiny faceless cube macintosh miniature. raspberry pi shocked the scene by convincing computer dorks that they are electrical engineers. intel is now making a tiny compute that hugs a full sized gpu for some loving reason. post in here about advances in tiny computer and living that tiny computer life. put that shameful rear end gaming rig in the closet you nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op i want to live out in the desert with only a tiny single board computer running mac system 7 as my only companion

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
also, nucced but she still buckin

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i own an imac op

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i have a small linux box to build toolchains that suck on mac due to requiring ext4. in order to configure wifi i turned on graphical mode, set it up, then went back to cli/ssh mode

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

op i want to live out in the desert with only a tiny single board computer running mac system 7 as my only companion

hell yeah brother

gonadic io posted:

i have a small linux box to build toolchains that suck on mac due to requiring ext4. in order to configure wifi i turned on graphical mode, set it up, then went back to cli/ssh mode

:respek:

theadder posted:

i own an imac op

:rolleyes:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I want a modern version of the iMac g4

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
is there a computer so small i can put it up my rear end. and then run a web server off it and scream at random strangers "YOU HAVE ALL ACCESSED MY rear end SERVER"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have one of the little celeron micro PCs that i use for my ham radio stuff. that way i can leave it on 24/7 and put my big honkin' pc into sleep mode. it does everything i need and was $139 i love it.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

jimmyjams posted:

is there a computer so small i can put it up my rear end. and then run a web server off it and scream at random strangers "YOU HAVE ALL ACCESSED MY rear end SERVER"

your bitts are in my butt

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i have one of the little celeron micro PCs that i use for my ham radio stuff. that way i can leave it on 24/7 and put my big honkin' pc into sleep mode. it does everything i need and was $139 i love it.

yo jonny290 the pigs here are switching to digital sometime soon, do you want my police scanner when it happens?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nah, it's even less useful here =/ thank you though!

the days of cop-snoopin are over, it sucks

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

it's a bearcat bcd996xt and I've got all the poo poo for it, it's not like I can pawn it lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
we bought 3 intel NUC8's the last month with m.2 nvme cards. they're super fast and the size of 5 CD jewel cases stacked ontop of each other. makes for a good presentation/conference room pc for go2meeting and powerpoint, and a workstation for our technicians who just do internet browsing, outlook, and excel.

way faster than some of the garbage dell and lenovo laptops we have.

would rec if someone needs a htpc/general dad (non-gaming use) use.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
nucs are good if you need a low power machine that does a thing.

now that jony ive is dead I wish Apple would look at nucs as an example of a tiny computer that can actually upgrade its storage and ram and fix the Mac mini.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

jimmyjams posted:

with some training, a raspberry pi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pi zero would easily fit in just anybody's butt

granted, you're paying $30 for all the necessary adapters to hook into a $5 computer, but

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Jonny 290 posted:

where I used to live, the cops would accidentally say stuff on unencrypted p25 channels all the time. Or, in another place nearby, they had channels for uses that were very specific, and you could still pick up the ids and correlate them. not quite like when my grandparents had a scanner on all of the time, but you can still pick up a lot more than they think.

i have a nuc, I don't really use it anymore but it served me much better than the poo poo pile of surplus market dells that I have.

rpi's have been picking up the slack. arm64 for life

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 26, 2020

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

small computers are v. v. attractive. big honkin atx towers are dumb as hell because 90% of the time there ain't jack poo poo in them, bunch of wasted space. i got a sliger cerberus which is matx and therefore way bigger than a nuc or whatever but it's basically as small as you can get while still being a relatively conventional case design and layout. smaller than that and poo poo gets weird or annoying real fast.

the big oems all got tiny mac mini sized systems out now, they're neat

needlessly tiny portable systems give me the biggest nerd boner though and i have no idea why and someday im gonna crack and end up with a pile of stupid bullshit like the gpd micropc https://www.gpd.hk/gpdmicropc

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i would advise anyone running a nuc to turn the fans to the "cool" setting

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

dougdrums posted:

rpi's have been picking up the slack. arm64 for life

don't rpis not actually boot linux (very well) in 64-bit mode?

tbf i have been pretty disappointed in the pi ecosystem, seems like babby's first embedded lunix device that is actually more closed/hobbled than it should be or compared to competitors

that said, i have a zero w running influxdb that works just fine for my purposes

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
also i just built a good gamin' rigg for vr and the case is laughably huge, criticism about it being mostly empty space is spot on. at least there's plenty of cooling and drive bays if i ever decide that caring about that is worth the time.

miss my old mac mini, donated it to a friend that didn't even have a single backup computer smdh

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

psiox posted:

also i just built a good gamin' rigg for vr and the case is laughably huge, criticism about it being mostly empty space is spot on. at least there's plenty of cooling and drive bays if i ever decide that caring about that is worth the time.

miss my old mac mini, donated it to a friend that didn't even have a single backup computer smdh

i upgraded a few months back and deeply regret not going w mini itx

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

what happened to knuc if u buc

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

murdered by a cop

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theadder posted:

what happened to knuc if u buc

buc’d too hard

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
he posts exclusively in imp zone now

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

he posts exclusively in imp zone now

a couple fyad\imp zone posters closed their threads when mega drama happened like it meant anything lmao

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I use an iPad Air.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I use an iPad Air.

im not sure our services are welcome here :henget:

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

i threw away a tiny computer today, sign of our disposable culture op

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the new nuc has a single x16 interface so if you install an nvme ssd you cut your GPU bandwidth in half

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

just ordered another nuc

i use them as servers at home bc theyre quiet and small yet capable and needs suiting

just wish there was a dual nic model

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I have a Chinese fanless nuc-style computer and its surprisingly good. intel nucs are too loud

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I have a nuc for console game emulation and a chromebox for pfsense. Both are needs suiting, except the garbage Realtek nic in the chromebox

Good little tiny cheap computers. Would recommend

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

psiox posted:

don't rpis not actually boot linux (very well) in 64-bit mode?

tbf i have been pretty disappointed in the pi ecosystem, seems like babby's first embedded lunix device that is actually more closed/hobbled than it should be or compared to competitors

that said, i have a zero w running influxdb that works just fine for my purposes

i have a pi 2 connected to my tv but it cannot play videos through any browser so i have to get the stream address and put that into vlc to get it to work. a clear case for a nuc.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
the gf wants big computer, not small computer

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nuc is fun to say

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

gonadic io posted:

i have a pi 2 connected to my tv but it cannot play videos through any browser so i have to get the stream address and put that into vlc to get it to work. a clear case for a nuc.

a lot of bad decisions in such a short post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
reminder that nuc stands for Next Unit of Computing, because intel is terrible with marketing