Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is no self, continuity of being is an illusion IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now posted:

Imagine: you can both die painlessly and get somewhere? Sign me the gently caress up!

Yah doesn't seem worth worrying about

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hakimashou posted:

Yup! But for you, the guy who gets into the transporter, its no different than if you'd been shot in the head or had a nuclear bomb go off next to you.

Im the guy whos still alive

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
especially since I'm obviously the guy observing reality

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like duuuh, i'm obviously not dead

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

I'd try to make it so that I had to transport as much as possible in public and loudly announce to everyone every time we did it that continuity of self is an illusion and you have to embrace the fact that you are nothing but a sufficiently similar copy of the person you were yesterday and all the transporter does is make that slightly more literal.

And then they will say "sir this is the 10 o clock service to luna please either get on the pad or leave you do this every day"

me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mooey Cow posted:

Often there is a possibly unconscious nerd religious element to the discussion, similar to the discussion of "mind uploading". The transhumanist religion requires that there be zero difference between you and a copy of you, otherwise it is all too clear that they would be locked out of their own paradise of uploading with no possible way in. They react by psychologically projecting on those that object that they are actually the religious people that must believe in a soul, even though "a soul" is how the problem is resolved in Star Trek.

The "Less Wrong" cultists that came up with Roko's basilisk are of this kind, and their hilarious response to that concept derives from it (plus beepboop utilitarianism these people are extremely mentally up their own rear end).

lol