Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Souls are canonically real in star trek. We know this because of Star Trek 3: The Search For Spock. Vulcans call it the katra.

The soul follows the transporter beam and therefore death does not occur as a result of whatever mechanical process the transporter uses. This is also how the transporter can be used to radically alter (and/or undo the alteration of) someone's body while having it still be the same person.

Aha, you say, but what about the perverse case of Thomas Riker? Is there no conservation of souls in the Star Trek universe, let alone the issue of conservation of energy/matter? But Star Trek already provides for this:

TOS Space Seed tells us that in certain circumstances - such as, for example, a nearby ion storm - the transporter can accidentally move people between different parallel dimensions.

TNG Parallels informs us that there are numerous parallel dimensions - not just a hokey one full of scantily-clad evil people - and that people can be swapped between those dimensions under the right circumstances as well.

Given these data points it is easy enough to conclude that Thomas Riker just happens to come from a very convergent parallel dimension, one in which a young Lieutenant Riker is tragically lost without a trace in a mysterious transporter accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also, fun fact, if you believe the transporters kill you then so do Stargates - there's multiple references in Stargate SG-1 to being "particleized" and converted into a matter stream. I'm pretty sure the short range transmats also do something similar.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Only if souls aren't real, which as established are real in Star Trek. I can't answer for Stargate though as I am not quite that deep into the series lore.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Poopernickel posted:

What about Tom Riker?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Aha, you say, but what about the perverse case of Thomas Riker? Is there no conservation of souls in the Star Trek universe, let alone the issue of conservation of energy/matter? But Star Trek already provides for this:

TOS Space Seed tells us that in certain circumstances - such as, for example, a nearby ion storm - the transporter can accidentally move people between different parallel dimensions.

TNG Parallels informs us that there are numerous parallel dimensions - not just a hokey one full of scantily-clad evil people - and that people can be swapped between those dimensions under the right circumstances as well.

Given these data points it is easy enough to conclude that Thomas Riker just happens to come from a very convergent parallel dimension, one in which a young Lieutenant Riker is tragically lost without a trace in a mysterious transporter accident.