Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Angepain posted:

on the one hand, sweet embrace of death, so that's a plus

on the other, some other poor innocent soul has to live the rest of my lovely life, questionable morally to put someone through that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the idea that you're not dead because the pieces you were chopped into are small enough and there was a convincing enough copy made is dumb

how big can the pieces get? how convincing does the copy have to be? can you just hanzo me in half and replace me with a cardboard standee? if not, where's the line where you supposedly aren't "dead" because "you" haven't "experienced" "death"

e: in this scenario, will my screaming upper half and the large pool of blood spoil the idea for my loved ones that the cardboard standee is "me"? as opposed to cutting me in half elsewhere, concealing my bisection from them, and placing the standee somewhere they expect me to be for "them" to "find" "me"

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 29, 2020

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Same when it turned Picard, Ro, and Guinan into literal children.

this is what makes TNG fun to rewatch; it could be big cerebral scifi and it could also be just, fuckin Direct To DVD dumb and be entertaining either way

e: also the late80s early90s hair

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

why is it that nerds assume any discussion of intangible elements of self requires a supernatural element? it doesn't require a supernatural ghost to discuss things like personality, others' perceptions and memories of you, or your sense of conscious self-awareness, or even to describe those things as a "soul".

also there is still a continuity of consciousness through sleep. you're in an altered state but your brain is still there, functioning, sometimes in a consciousnstate (dreaming) and you will still react to external stimuli. the fact that there's a gap in your memory afterword doesn't mean it's the same as you being killed and a copy printed elsewhere. the subjective experience for the printed copy might be similar, but they're not the same.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 30, 2020

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i still want someone to tell me how small the pieces you get chopped into have to be and how convincing the copy has to be for it to be "you" and you didnt "die"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

like what if the copy is indistinguishable to an outside observer, but some differences do exist. some memories are missing, or some bits of the person's anatomy is a little different, but not enough that even their spouse or parents would notice. is that still "you"? what if the differences are so subtle that ONLY a spouse or parent would notice? what if there's nobody close enough to that person to notice the differences in the copy? what if there's huge changes, but the person was a loner with no friends who would notice they had red hair now or their personality was wildly different? is that still them if it convinces everyone it's them, despite the differences?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

and how small do the pieces have to be? does the person have to be atomized or is killing them enough? can the scan just scan them, transmit the scan, and then dump them out an airlock or feed them into a big grinder?

does the person gasping in vacuum or ground to a pulp not "die" because the copy exists? If so, how long can elapse before the killing for them to not "die". can we give em like a day of overlap with the copy to bang hookers and pound six gram rocks? can the person who got scanned just go off and live a normal life and die of prostate cancer and it still counts as "not dying" if the copy outlives them?

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 10, 2020

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i need answers dammit!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

If I get exposed to radiation and it changes my DNA and I get cancer, am I still me? Changes to external observers are irrelevant as well. If I'm in the closet and come out as gay am I still me? If I get hit on the head a lot and my brain fills up with plaques, and friends say I'm not the same, that I get angry and violent, am I still me? Maybe an Alzheimer's patient might say, in moments of lucidity that they are no longer who they were, but nobody is who they were from one moment to the next, on a cellular and conscious level.

this, i think, is what makes this such a bizzare and persistently intractable question: it's asking essentially about self and what defines it

if you're in the closet and come out as gay, that can be an emotional roller coaster even for supportive family members. you often hear people say things like "i feel like I don't know who my dad/son/brother is at all". For the person coming out, nothing about their sense of self has changed, but their loved ones' sense of who that person is got so suddenly shifted that they will often express the above feeling of disconnect between their previous sense of the person and their current understanding. It takes some time to process and adjust their mental abstract of their loved one to fit the new information, and until that happens, they get a dysphoric feeling, like their loved one is not the same person they were.

and with the question of are you still you after your brain anatomy and physiology changes enough to change your personality: it's not out of the ordinary for people to say their loved one "isn't the same person". with severe enough changes people will sometimes even emphasize that they're not being figurative. it's not unheard of for a family member to describe a post-brain-trauma loved one as looking like their loved one but literally not being them.

neither of these makes what you're saying wrong per se, but I think it shows that self and identity are a lot blurrier than you're making them out to be

And to my original, more troll-y question, if the copy is just a cardboard standee of me, and it's placed where people will expect to see me, is that me as long as i got killed first?

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 10, 2020

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

Even proposing that the "original" remains, the "copy" goes off and lives its own life, then you meet up some time in the future. You might have an uncanny resemblance, but who each of you are different now. At the time of the copying, identical. Or not. Makes no difference.

the bolded part here makes no sense. so it doesn't matter at all who comes out the other end or what happens to the person "going in"? we can just funnel people into a meat grinder and as long as we 3d print some random person to replace each one of them they literally haven't died? wtf

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

one of the quieter kinds of genocide is the kind waged in parts of the british commonwealth, namely australia and canada, where people's children were taken from them and raised in the desired (by those with power) culture. If done broadly enough, an entire culture is destroyed in a single generation through forced assimilation.

The implications of transporter technology include a very grim and faster version of this. Instead of erasing a culture by interrupting its passing between generations, a colonizing culture could instead atomize entire civilizations and re-print them as assimilated versions of themselves, and could even alter their physical appearance in the process. The powers that be could pitch it to their populace as a humane and generous gesture, one that doesn't involve "killing" because the copies exist in their now racially and culturally homogenous form. And apparently by going off this thread, people would probably buy it.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

idk if its still there but supposedly during the series' original run there was a utility closet at the real cheyenne mountain complex labeled "stargate command"