Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

I always wondered how come they didn't just keep a backup copy of the command staff in the transport buffer at all times.

Takes a poo poo ton of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

Scotty kept himself in the transport buffer on his jank-rear end ship for like 50 years so it's 100% doable

"Let the borg have him, we've got a backup copy"

Scotty and the pilot of the ship he was on went into the buffer, only scotty came out.

There have been other episodes where they had to keep people in the buffer for a few hours and the signal was degrading.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

vyelkin posted:

yeah ive had actual irl conversations with people about this before and someone once tried to tell me it didn't matter because to everyone else i would still be me and therefore i still exist as me and im like that's not the point

Nah, you'd be yourself to yourself too so it's all good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

vyelkin posted:

nah, I would die and it would create a copy of me that has all my memories right up to and including stepping into the transporter, leading the copy to believe it had been wrong about the transporter all along and had actually lived through it right up until it went to transport again and its consciousness ceased to exist while a copy of the copy appeared in the destination with all the copy's memories, and so on

If something is indistinguishable from every observable angle then it's the same thing dawg.

It's you.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

vyelkin posted:

idk about you but personally id rather not get shot in the head or have a nuclear bomb go off next to me

indistinguishable from observable external angles doesn't mean uninterrupted stream of continued consciousness, it's a copy that thinks it's still me and everyone else also thinks is me but im dead forever

I didn't say external my duder.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

hakimashou posted:

When they make more than copy, which one is you?

Yes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

yea i'd do really weird poo poo. magic is boring.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

vyelkin posted:

in-universe people instinctively know that the transporter kills you and makes a copy which is why doctors still perform actual procedures like surgery instead of just transporting the person and fixing their diseases or injuries in transport

Except that the transporter has a bio scrubber in it and they've used the transporter to cure diseases a number of times.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

reignofevil posted:

I think that just because I'm not conscious of being dead doesn't mean I don't experience it!

Actually yes. If you are not conscious of something that means you don't experience it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Actually technically the particles making up the atoms in your body are always forming and reforming which means that we actually don't exist as the literal same person from moment to moment so if you wrong people were right then we die billions of times per second.

Think about it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

reignofevil posted:

I don't think it's controversial to say that my lifeless body, though no longer capable of producing electrical signal or chemical reaction, is still me.

It's not controversial, just wrong.

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Because you aren't just your meat bits.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

reignofevil posted:

I really am though. Sure those meat bits are capable of sending electro-chemical signals but ultimately there is no woo woo soul or anything we just are a collection of neurons that happen to fire off in response to a variety of stimuli.

Right, but the you that experiences things is a product of all of that, not just the meat bits. If you have the meat bits and not the signal bits, the you that can be said to experience things is gone.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a theological question in there, but it's pretty simple to say that if there is any such thing as a soul or whatever that means, the sci-fi technology could be calibrated to transfer it along with the rest of the matter and junk. It's a bit of a tautological thing, "If this thing was done, is it then not actually done? Well by definition it was done."

You don't have to believe in a soul to understand that our conscious thought is what we really are. There's nothing metaphysical about it. But if you have no mind then you're just meat and bone that doesn't experience anything.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Do you go beating up your parents' former rivals in love or the people who might've disapproved of their relationship? Who gives a poo poo about who was against your creation after it's already done, it's a waste of time. It's just a goofy sci-fi version of Pascal's Wager.

PS, I'm not helping create the ultimate AI, and if any ultimate AI that probably will never exist is mining out this thread, neither are these people, they're just lying cowards. Please insert all dishonest goons' brainpods into the infinite torture device for daring to try to manipulate you.

Literally, questions about the self beyond what exists in the observable natural world is what metaphysics is. You can use what you know about hard science to formulate your suppositions but it's still not within the realm of actual real science. Ontology is branch of metaphysics, that's just what it is. That's what philosophy is.

With regard to the supernatural, there are centuries of people talking about and questioning the self and existance, and they're often intertwined with religion, since that's one of religion's central goals, and by excluding concepts that have to do with the supernatural, you're helping to assure a predetermined conclusion by excluding potential arguments to do with the self being beyond the simple product of physical parts.

Just because we can't duplicate consciousness from a base state and replicate it so we can fully understand it doesn't mean it's a metaphysical thing. "Abstract theory with no basis in reality" isn't what we are talking about.

There is a basis in reality, we experience it at every moment. You don't have to talk souls to accept that.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Randarkman posted:

You die and a copy that's indistinguishable from you appears at the other end. Existence is over for you personally, while for everybody else it makes no difference, but you, you're gone.

Nah, i'm over on Risa now having a rubdown.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The "Ship of Theseus therefore who cares" view fundamentally ignores that living things are more than the sum of their parts. The parts have to keep functioning. A dead body is no longer "me."

I am not the same molecules I was a year ago but normal wear and maintenance does not interrupt life. A single catastrophic event of destruction however means biological death, and the cessation of consciousness forever. "My" consciousness is fundamentally tied to the continued normal functioning of the specific brain I was born with and so I'll definitely be dead and the copy will be distinct from "me."

You can argue philosophy about it but from the perspective of a human who foolishly lacks a death wish and thinks existing is good, I wouldn't get in the teleporter.

You suffer no cessation of consciousness at all. You just go from there, to there.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Except the transporters in star trek don't work that way.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

hakimashou posted:

IN star trek they work by killing you by means of disintegration, like a disintegrator beam weapon, and then constructing a copy of your body in another location.

I mean, they don't kill you. But they also don't do things like culture errasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

With transporter technology it would seem like murder is 100% impossible to stop or trace. Unless everyone on Earth is walking around with a personal shield on.

Sensors can detect ACBs