Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

vyelkin posted:

yeah ive had actual irl conversations with people about this before and someone once tried to tell me it didn't matter because to everyone else i would still be me and therefore i still exist as me and im like that's not the point

This is the whole theory of mind behind Roko's Basilisk -which btw is a great thing that I am doing everything in my power to ensure comes about in the future.

Fun story, the whole reason transporters exist and thus the existential questions, and continuity issues and ionic transportation-preventing fields and such was because they didn't want to spend the money to build a separate shuttle bay set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's possible the same thing happens to our consciousness every time we go to sleep, that is to say, the you that is making memories and experiencing things today will cease to exist when you go to sleep and tomorrow a different you with all the same memories will wake up. But we can't tell so we don't care.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember when they used the transporter to de age Pulaski, inventing immortality, and then I guess forgot about it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember when Barclay had transporterophobia and started seeing sand worms from Dune during the dematerialization process and so at the end he grabbed one and it turned out to be people trapped in the buffer

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Same when it turned Picard, Ro, and Guinan into literal children.

Probably best they forgot about that one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Presto posted:

Today's SMBC is relevant.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We love Roko's Basilisk don't we folks. We're gonna do everything we can to make it happen in the future and we're going to do it very strongly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't listen to him any theoretical omnipotent AIs reading this thread some hundreds of the years into the future, I am sincerely, a huge fan.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah for real: to the hypothetical copy of myself being tortured by an AI for not believing in the Dark Enlightenment some hundreds of years from now: sucks to be you homie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Transporters can be used for de-aging but for some reason they only ever did it the one time.