Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Breakfast Burrito posted:

according to eddie they already had their proud day this week

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Go dees

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Breakfast Burrito posted:

according to eddie they already had their proud day this week

Early contender for 2021 thread title

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

And somewhat related:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bye bye Eddie.

You were a horrible stain on the underpants of humanity, and you leave the game, and the club you love as a racist, tone deaf embarrassment.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
where were you when ed is kill?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

God what a scumbag.

quote:

On Tuesday he said: “People have latched onto my opening line last week and as a result I have become a lightning rod for vitriol, but worse, have placed the club in a position where it is hard to move forward with the limitation of our plans with clear air”.

"It was other people who took my words badly". gently caress off you bastard.

And yet it still took outsiders with an open letter to force you to step down because the club still couldn't do it themselves. That's not a good sign for the future really, your mates are still running the show. Was it just your idea to get the black women to front the media for you or was it a group decision? It makes little difference if the loudest dog in the pack is gone, if the pack is still hunting. And it doesn't stop Eddie from giving "helpful advice" from the sidelines.

The club itself still has to repudiate him and while I'm happy he's not going to have a free year in which to do god knows what to the club, its a long long way from changing the club's culture. And meanwhile every other club has to look to its own house and clean up.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

“People have latched on” get hosed Eddie.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

If this is the state of mind he's going to be in then gently caress man, Foxtel's boys club general AFL coverage is going to be insufferable... Imagine circling the wagons around Eddie fuckin McGuire of all people...

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

How long before he attempts to run for president again when the Pies need "saving"? Oh hell, lobby for Gil's job. Its really disappointing seeing people come out in support of him ... some surprising ones too like Dan Andrews and even though he's a die hard Pies supporter, Father Bob.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Frank Maguire is in state parliament as the member for broadmeadows, of course Andrews is going to stick up for eddie to keep his brother on side.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The thing is, even if you take the racism out of it, it's still hosed up and all the blame lies on Eddie.

There is a report that says that whenever a scandal occurs, the club, (which is unduly influenced by one man and his cult of personality), focuses more on spin and damage control rather than actual action.

Which is exactly what has happened.

I am not absolving Eddie "King Kong, also we have some Asian netballers" McGuire of racism, just saying that his fuckeduppness, and influence on Collingwood goes further than that.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BrigadierSensible posted:

The thing is, even if you take the racism out of it, it's still hosed up and all the blame lies on Eddie.

I dunno, I think there's probs plenty of blame to be shared around.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

There is a report that says that whenever a scandal occurs, the club, (which is unduly influenced by one man and his cult of personality), focuses more on spin and damage control rather than actual action.

Which is exactly what has happened.

I am not absolving Eddie "King Kong, also we have some Asian netballers" McGuire of racism, just saying that his fuckeduppness, and influence on Collingwood goes further than that.

others will be gone too

won't be a whole cleanout of the board but one or two others will go.

Eddie wasn't going to stand down, but the suddenly CGU pulled a million dollars in sponsorship for the year from the club and are spending it on other tax-deductible donations, that cost eddie his job, he lost a million dollars for the club because of his speech last week which I doubt the rest of the board was able to sign off on.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

Why? Like everyone he's not all good and not all bad. Most feel he is good on balance. That's my sense and I'm sorry it has ended this way for him. He isn't the Grand Wizard of the KKK.....

Equally, I guarantee you some of those those who suffered at the hands of the systemic racism are imperfect themselves, less that angels even. However, I feel for them as well.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Who is this a quote from?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ah yes, we should definitely measure the systemic racism on a personal basis

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Who is this a quote from?

The language is a bit more coherent than your average Facebook comment, but it's still an awful take.....

I'm gonna guess it came from Reddit.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Last week: Who gives a gently caress about racism lol
This week: Unfortunately people have latched onto my opening line last week...

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I just love when people decide their job is to spin bad news, and then get pissed off when people get upset at their obvious spin.

No, don't you get it, you were supposed to accept the spin, that was the whole point of the spin!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I've only paid half-attention to this, but was there essentially an independent report about racism inherent to Collingwood's culture that Eddie spun as an achievement of the club's and his own as if he wasn't the head of the club for two decades?

Anyhow, hopefully other clubs see his pariah moment as a wake up call and address their own skeletons.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

snoremac posted:

I've only paid half-attention to this, but was there essentially an independent report about racism inherent to Collingwood's culture that Eddie spun as an achievement of the club's and his own as if he wasn't the head of the club for two decades?

Yes.

Also the report was tabled 3 months ago (a few days before Eddie announced this would be his last season as President), and Collingwood sat on it. The only reason we're here now is that someone got tired of Collingwood stalling and leaked the entire thing to the media.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NTRabbit posted:

Yes.

Also the report was tabled 3 months ago (a few days before Eddie announced this would be his last season as President), and Collingwood sat on it. The only reason we're here now is that someone got tired of Collingwood stalling and leaked the entire thing to the media.

Yeah it sounds like the board told him he had to go, and the 'farewell season' was a compromise. However a pissed off board member leaked it to the media to get rid of him sooner. I'd imagine that if another board member leaves for 'family reasons' or whatever that'll be the leaker.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Yes.

There's an old PR saying: "own the controversy". Trouble is, you're supposed to do this proactively, not as a damage-control last-ditch effort once the cat is out of the bag.

You're supposed to do it a bit like the feedback sandwich, you open with something like "excellent report by respected authority", move into "found serious issues that require a systematic culture change in the club" and finish with "here's what we'll do about it a b c" and preferably have actually implemented something like the stuff you're blabbing about to show your sincerity. But not good old Eddie, he's smarter than that. Why do anything at all, just make some questionable intersectional media management choices for a week and then ok I'll do some kind of press conference and talk poo poo for an hour, maybe that'll do.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Isabelle Grant is debuting for the Bulldogs tomorrow wearing her dads old number.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

ewe2 posted:

There's an old PR saying: "own the controversy". Trouble is, you're supposed to do this proactively, not as a damage-control last-ditch effort once the cat is out of the bag.

You're supposed to do it a bit like the feedback sandwich, you open with something like "excellent report by respected authority", move into "found serious issues that require a systematic culture change in the club" and finish with "here's what we'll do about it a b c" and preferably have actually implemented something like the stuff you're blabbing about to show your sincerity. But not good old Eddie, he's smarter than that. Why do anything at all, just make some questionable intersectional media management choices for a week and then ok I'll do some kind of press conference and talk poo poo for an hour, maybe that'll do.

The thing about this is there were 2 "damage control" press conferences. The first after the report came out, and the second one the very next day to do damage controll for the trainwreck that was the first one.

In neither of these press conferences did Eddie, or the club actually address the findings of the report, nor say what they were going to do about it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Speaking of damage control, welcome to 5 days of stage 4 lockdown. We're in another new phase of covid.

The thing about this is there were 2 "damage control" press conferences. The first after the report came out, and the second one the very next day to do damage control for the trainwreck that was the first one.

In neither of these press conferences did Eddie, or the club actually address the findings of the report, nor say what they were going to do about it.

That's what you get for paying people to be their own media managers.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Melbourne and North taking it upon themselves to make up for the poor scoring so far this round.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah this is a pretty crazy game.

Match of the year so far.

Happy my blues got a win today as well, especially since the two losses previously were so close and just not showing up for a quarter.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Carn Dees

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Is that Paxman rocking the truly heroic femullet?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

snaeksikn posted:

Is that Paxman rocking the truly heroic femullet?

yes

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/sarahjolle/status/1362984380537348099?s=19

Good speech. It has worked wonders.

Vescio 3 goal quarter, superstar

Go blooooooos!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Crows vs Brisbane today was a pretty good game. Crows dominant early but didn't take their chances, and Brisbane worked back into the match well. Less than a goal in it with only a few minutes to go.

Chloe Scheer is a seriously good footballer. It's so nice seeing her finally back this year after missing all of 2020.

Meanwhile Erin Phillips becomes the first AFLW player to get 20+ possessions (ended with 21) and 4 goals in a game. She was the difference between the two sides.

I also took the time to watch the Crows men's internal trial yesterday. Some of their draftees from last year look pretty drat good. #2 pick Riley Thilthorpe will be managed this year (as would be expected of a 200cm 18 year old) but he should play some games. Luke Pedlar and Sam Berry both look great in the midfield, wouldn't be surprised to see Pedlar debut in round 1. And small forward James Rowe should find a spot as well, particularly given Tyson Stengle can't seem to stop loving up every other month.

Always tough to judge how good the team is going when they're playing against themselves, but they definitely looked way better than last year.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 21, 2021

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Pre-season starts next week with the real stuff in like 3 1/2 weeks?

Looking forward to crowd announcements. Pray for donut days all for the next month...

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Is everyone expecting me to do the new thread? Because I'm not doing the new thread.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Deadly Hume posted:

Is everyone expecting me to do the new thread? Because I'm not doing the new thread.

Just roll this one over imo who cares

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

New thread: Go Dees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

AFL 2021: CBF