Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snaeksikn posted:

Carn the Dees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I think they need to hold off on expansion in the AFLW for a little while.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Yes, not a great weekend for the 2020 expansion sides so far. Tigers down by 35, Suns down by 70, Saints down by 44. And the Eagles likely to get smashed by Freo tomorrow.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Geelong will get done by a fair few goals (hopefully) too

Yeah I don't think the aflw will expand until 2024 or 2025 season and probablyo nly two of the final 4 missing teams with the last two either the year later or a one year gap.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
There is an argument to be made that they almost need to do the last part of the expansion soon, and just somehow tilt the rules in such a way that the final four expansion clubs get to poach a significant number of players from the longer-term established clubs, but not the newer expansion clubs. It's probably the only way to even up the playing field in the short-term. Not sure what that would look like in practice, though.

I mean, ultimately it will sort itself out eventually, but it feels like each of the newer expansion sides are years away from being serious contenders.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 6, 2021

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yeah as much as I want an Essendon AFLW team I'd rather they do right by the comp and slow it down until the talent expands to fill the teams.

Speaking of Essendon though, was really happy with the outing against Geelong. It was a pretty drat fun free flowing game to watch. If Harry Jones continues to develop as he is then I am more than happy as him as a long term Daniher replacement. Hind as a Saad replacement is very nice too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

thepokey posted:

Yeah as much as I want an Essendon AFLW team I'd rather they do right by the comp and slow it down until the talent expands to fill the teams.

Speaking of Essendon though, was really happy with the outing against Geelong. It was a pretty drat fun free flowing game to watch. If Harry Jones continues to develop as he is then I am more than happy as him as a long term Daniher replacement. Hind as a Saad replacement is very nice too.

I was at the game and was stoked with how we played, goal kicking aside. We seem to have a gameplan for the first time since, 2001 or something.

Jones was great, having someone who can clunk a big mark coming out of the defensive 50 is nice for a change. I can see why GWS were pissed at Caldwell leaving too, he was great.

Heppell looks slow and tired, I reckon he might only have one more year after this which is a bit sad.

Plenty of nuffies back in the crowd, nature is healing etc

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Jayden Hunt has stopped wearing his headband and it's BULLSHIT

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

Jayden Hunt has stopped wearing his headband and it's BULLSHIT

He also stopped developing as a player in 2017 so maybe this change will help

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Carn the Dees

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'm not sure what it is about Melbourne that makes it completely impossible for the Crows to play well against them. Men's team, women's team, top of the ladder, bottom of the ladder, doesn't seem to matter, we always just get destroyed in the midfield and the game turns into a contested shitfest that we are utterly unable to score in.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Carn the Dees

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Max King out for the Saints for round one...

...because he's in concussion protocol...

...after a round of golf.

I really don't want to imagine how that happened because no one way is 'good,' holy poo poo.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

:madmax:

teen heartthrob Kouta, certified cool dude Fraser Brown pulling off a leather jacket and footy shorts look just after footy training, Tommy Alvin with the best hair in the league and Sticks Kernahan looking like the man from snowy river.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

harperdc posted:

Max King out for the Saints for round one...

...because he's in concussion protocol...

...after a round of golf.

I really don't want to imagine how that happened because no one way is 'good,' holy poo poo.

Shawn McKernan eliminating any threats

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

FOOTY STARTS THIS WEEK

26 degrees and sunny in Melbourne on Saturday :love:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I just realised the Ultimate Footy draft is set to this Saturday after the season starts. Is that a thing we can do with discounting round 1 or should we move to Tuesday or Wednesday evening?

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

thepokey posted:

I just realised the Ultimate Footy draft is set to this Saturday after the season starts. Is that a thing we can do with discounting round 1 or should we move to Tuesday or Wednesday evening?

I can do tonight or tomorrow night. I would prefer to count Round 1, but understand if there's a reluctance to do so, given the inability to directly contact everyone involved.

Also, we've only got 5 people, so a 6th would really help with the balance.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've readded the bot team to bring us up to 6, locked the league, and set the draft for Wednesday night.

In the unlikely event anyone else wants to join they have the rest of today to let me know.

Matt Gloss
Aug 30, 2004
Touch dry in four hours!
Any chance it could be at 8 instead? No dramas if not!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Matt Gloss posted:

Any chance it could be at 8 instead? No dramas if not!

Done

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

drunkill posted:

:madmax:

teen heartthrob Kouta, certified cool dude Fraser Brown pulling off a leather jacket and footy shorts look just after footy training, Tommy Alvin with the best hair in the league and Sticks Kernahan looking like the man from snowy river.

Tommy Alvin looks like a boomer there

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Cool so the AFL add this concussion sub right on the eve of the season.

Can't wait for some speedy player to come in for an injury late in the 3rd quarter and kick 4 goals against tired defenders.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Windmill Hut posted:

Cool so the AFL add this concussion sub right on the eve of the season.

Can't wait for some speedy player to come in for an injury late in the 3rd quarter and kick 4 goals against tired defenders.

But then the player who came off will be in concussion protocol for at least one game. That’s the theoretical deterrent, at least from a distance.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It sounds like they can be subbed off if the doc *thinks* it'll be at least a 1-week injury

So I'm looking forward to a bloke who supposedly ripped a hamstring off the bone lining up the next week because it turns out it was just a corked leg all along

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
No you see they thought of that guys, because if a player actually can return sooner than 12 days the AFL Medical Officer has to sign off on it first.

Which doesn't actually do anything to prevent this rule from being abused and also why the gently caress does the AFL keep introducing things literally hours before the start of seasons? Like, what were you doing all summer?!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

cmndstab posted:

No you see they thought of that guys, because if a player actually can return sooner than 12 days the AFL Medical Officer has to sign off on it first.

Which doesn't actually do anything to prevent this rule from being abused and also why the gently caress does the AFL keep introducing things literally hours before the start of seasons? Like, what were you doing all summer?!

Alistair Clarkson wasn’t yelling at them in summer

https://www.afl.com.au/news/563467/barrett-how-clarko-s-rant-sparked-afl-rule-change

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lol Barrett’s whinging about Clarkson gets more pathetic every year

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Is it sad to go to the footy by yourself?

I really wanna see the Dees on Saturday, and the weather is too nice watch it on telly at 1.45 on a Saturday. but no-one wants to join me :smith:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Hope the underdogs get the threepeat this year let's goooooo

My local bottle-O sells expired beer which is good because I was able to snag the 2019 Carlton Draught Richmond can I was missing from their fridge.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Windmill Hut posted:

I really wanna see the Dees on Saturday, and the weather is too nice watch it on telly at 1.45 on a Saturday. but no-one wants to join me :smith:

Not at all, I've been going to the footy by myself for the last decade — gigs and movies too. Why should being on your own stop you doing something fun, you know?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Footy footy footy

Get your tips in for goon footy tipping, see the OP for deets.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Windmill Hut posted:

I’ve done it a few times when nobody will go with me. It’s not the same. I usually take a little am/fm radio to listen to. Can’t listen to the streams they are too delayed.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I hate both of these teams and I sincerely hope the umpires ruin the spectacle for everyone involved

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

snoremac posted:

My local bottle-O sells expired beer which is good because I was able to snag the 2019 Carlton Draught Richmond can I was missing from their fridge.

I bought a 2020 one just now to sneak into the next case of beer my Geelong supporting housemate leaves unattended

(I feel dirty for spending $5 on this)

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

gay picnic defence posted:

I hate both of these teams and I sincerely hope the umpires ruin the spectacle for everyone involved
Footy's back

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Get rid of this dumb loving rule, jesus christ.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Richmond have encroached a bunch of times, Carlton does it once and it's a guaranteed goal.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Need to make sure Richmond are looked after or they might not make it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

And you gotta love how the excuse on twitter is that "but Carlton is leading the frees, therefore Richmond are actually the victims" instead of paying attention to what frees are paid and what are ignored.