Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

You Am I posted:

Geelong being down at all quarter breaks to win the 2009 GF was :discourse:

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’m obviously horrendously biased, but I think from 16:30 in the 3rd quarter onwards is maybe the greatest 40 minutes of football that’s ever been played by a team.

I was surprised at how good the Demons were this year but jeez that 3rd/4th quarter, that was demolition. The speed of their adaptation and its efficiency did the damage, its a great achievement and not something that's easy to sustain, very few teams manage it. The Dees might have a team for a few seasons to rival the great ones of Brisbane and Hawthorn perhaps.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
I think one of the big things to acknowledge this year was Melbourne's absurdly good run with injury. They had a very settled team and never lost a key player to injury for any major period of time, so they managed their players very well and had a lot of luck there too.

One story that I think Garry Lyon or one of the Fox footy guys have said is that Simon Goodwin told them in full confidence heading into this season that if they had a good run with injury they would win the flag this year, which obviously raised eyebrows given their recent history of form.

One other thing that's been said about the Dees this year in their mentality was driving the whole "next set" mindset, reset after each quarter and each win for the next effort. It seemed to be clear that's where they were at after the Geelong win after the siren at round 23 when the players were getting interviewed, Petracca was emotional about the win but Oliver and Gawn were both very chill about it immediately after the game, and gave me the impression they were still fully dialled in for the next step.

So most people would agree that usually after a big premiership win the hardest thing is to back up the mentality, and then to maintain keeping the team on the park. The Demons "reset" philosophy seems to be built on aiming for long term sustained success over multiple seasons, so I'm curious as to whether that holds true in addressing any complacency next season. If it does, then the only question is just how they go with injury again.

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 27, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snaeksikn posted:

I think one of the big things to acknowledge this year was Melbourne's absurdly good run with injury. They had a very settled team and never lost a key player to injury for any major period of time, so they managed their players very well and had a lot of luck there too.

One story that I think Garry Lyon or one of the Fox footy guys have said is that Simon Goodwin told them in full confidence heading into this season that if they had a good run with injury they would win the flag this year, which obviously raised eyebrows given their recent history of form.

One other thing that's been said about the Dees this year in their mentality was driving the whole "next set" mindset, reset after each quarter and each win for the next effort. It seemed to be clear that's where they were at after the Geelong win after the siren at round 23 when the players were getting interviewed, Petracca was emotional about the win but Oliver and Gawn were both very chill about it immediately after the game, and gave me the impression they were still fully dialled in for the next step.

So most people would agree that usually after a big premiership win the hardest thing is to back up the mentality, and then to maintain keeping the team on the park. The Demons "reset" philosophy seems to be built on aiming for long term sustained success over multiple seasons, so I'm curious as to whether that holds true in addressing any complacency next season. If it does, then the only question is just how they go with injury again.

Burgess being gone is going to be really interesting. Yes we had a good run with injury but even more than that we were clearly the fittest team by a big margin through the year. He also managed us perfectly through the byes thrown up by the finals. Will have to see if we have someone competent enough to keep the base he built going along next year or if we fall back to the rest of the pack a bit and can’t rely on running out games.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

One of my worst Dees memories was going to GMHBA in round 2, 2019. We were expected to contest for the flag after making the prelim in 2018, recruiting Steven May, and eventually getting Lever back from injury.

Instead we got smacked by 80 points, May did his hammy, and it absolutely pissed down with rain while I was surrounded by thousands of Geelong supporters.

Everything good from 2018 was erased in the first two weeks of that season and it felt like we need to start over again.

Fast forward a couple of years... half way through the third quarter of the Grand Final, I was having thoughts about where I could keep watching if the Dogs kicked a few more goals.

100-7 from then on. It still doesn't seem real.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Solemn Sloth posted:

Simon Goodwin has the equal 4th best finals win % of any coach ever. The only ones in front of him coaches 3,2,and 1 games each with no losses.

Im trying to wrap my head around this - did the bloke who won the only final he coached replace someone else for the Grand Final? Or have to stand down after the first week?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

GlenMR posted:

Im trying to wrap my head around this - did the bloke who won the only final he coached replace someone else for the Grand Final? Or have to stand down after the first week?

Full list is here: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/coaches/coaches_idx.html

The 1 final win was Bob Rush who stepped in for Jock McHale in the 1930 Grand Final. There's a fair bit of controversy over who to credit the win to though.

The 2 wins were Brighton Diggins who captain-coached Carlton in the 1938 Grand Final when it was a 2-round finals system.

The 3 wins were Tony Jewell leading Richmond 3-0 in the 1980 finals.

Goodwin at 5-1 (83.33%) is now equal with George Holden who coached Fitzroy from 1916-1919.

Of current coaches:
pre:
Name		Win	Loss	(W/L)%
Goodwin		5	1	83.33
Hardwick	10	5	66.67
Beveridge	7	4	63.64
Simpson		7	5	58.33
Cameron		7	6	53.85
Hinkley		5	5	50
Voss		1	1	50
Longmire	10	11	47.62
Scott		10	15	40
Ratten		2	4	33.33
Fagan		1	5	16.67
Rutten		0	1	0
Dew		0	0	0
Longmuir	0	0	0
Nicks		0	0	0
Noble		0	0	0
Mitchell	0	0	0
McRae		0	0	0

Clarkson	16	10	61.54
Buckley		5	7	41.62
Teague		0	0	0

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 27, 2021

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Windmill Hut posted:

One of my worst Dees memories was going to GMHBA in round 2, 2019. We were expected to contest for the flag after making the prelim in 2018, recruiting Steven May, and eventually getting Lever back from injury.

Instead we got smacked by 80 points, May did his hammy, and it absolutely pissed down with rain while I was surrounded by thousands of Geelong supporters.

Everything good from 2018 was erased in the first two weeks of that season and it felt like we need to start over again.

Fast forward a couple of years... half way through the third quarter of the Grand Final, I was having thoughts about where I could keep watching if the Dogs kicked a few more goals.

100-7 from then on. It still doesn't seem real.

Congrats windmill hut!!

I’m extremely stoked for the Dees fans and will continue to be until round 1 2022

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Currently trying to navigate the question of how many posters is too many for bub's room. So far I've settled on not taking anything down that's already there, but if I can see the wall it's fair game.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Since 2000:

- Only six clubs haven't won a flag: Saints, Blues, Crows, North, GWS, GC, Freo.
- Only three clubs haven't made a Grand Final: Blues, North, Gold Coast

Go back to 1995 and that takes Blues, Crows and North out too.

Yes we've had a few dominant clubs but overall it seems that equalisation measures work.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

When you were partying, I studied the blade.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

monolithburger posted:

When you were partying, I studied the blade.

Bayley Fritsch is the only player in history to win 2xAFLX premierships and an AFL premiership

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
There's some good community footy photos in this competition the AFL ran.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/682645/revealed-the-footyfocus21-winner-check-out-the-top-10

https://twitter.com/MichaelCWillson/status/1443736265417900056?s=20

All the entries here:
https://comps.afl.com.au/tb_app/467111

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
My fave is this one, it's just so happy :allears:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Let the trades commence!

(Watches as no trades will be done before midday)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
You know they’ll tell clubs not to announce anything until the final day so they can sell the broadcast rights again.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

It's funny how different everything feels when your team are Premiers (:unsmith:). Trade week just doesn't really matter to me this year, other than hoping to see other clubs make bad choices.

It also sucks how quickly trade week arrives. By Monday after the GF there were already more articles on the AFL website about trades and free agency than the GF.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Big trade for Collingwood with GC today. Acquired a whole bunch of picks this year while giving away almost all of their 2022 picks.

Picks 22, 36, 41, 43 and 46 will be given up for Daicos if North bid on him at #1.

They leaves picks 48, 58, 78 and 79 remaining.

They are looking to trade two players in, so the first two of those are likely to be gone.

Leaves them with:
2021: 78, 79,
2022: First round, Gold Coast's fourth round (60~65).

Daicos will need to be Petracca / Bontempelli / Martin level player, and hope they get a similar player next year when they might be bad enough land Pick 1.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Windmill Hut posted:

It's funny how different everything feels when your team are Premiers (:unsmith:). Trade week just doesn't really matter to me this year, other than hoping to see other clubs make bad choices.

It also sucks how quickly trade week arrives. By Monday after the GF there were already more articles on the AFL website about trades and free agency than the GF.

Im going back and reading Buckenaras review of our list last year which had Gawn as our only A grader. Apparently petracca, Oliver, May, and Lever last year were all on a lower tier to guys like English or Guthrie this year :chanpop:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
God I remember that as my Dad at the time said it was horseshit and Melbourne had the best list in the league. I remember thinking "ok they aren't as bad as Buckenara makes out, but come on Dad they're not the best in the league". Well then...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

drunkill posted:

Let the trades commence!

(Watches as no trades will be done before midday)

Correct!

Though one was done at about 4, Collingwood traded almost entirely out of 2022 for picks this year with Gold Coast, meaning it's cost Collingwood three drafts just to afford Daicos this year, no pressure.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pointless and silly question/thought:

You know the Barassi Line? The invisible geographic line that separates the footy side of the country from the Rugby League side? And how it was so named because on one side, even if you didn't follow footy at all, you would know who Ron Barassi was.

Who would you name the line after if it was being named today? Who is so ubiquitous/important in the footy world that non fans know who they are, but Rugby League people would have no idea?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

One of the Eddies.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Chairchucker posted:

One of the Eddies.

"The Annoyed by Eddie Maguire" line

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BrigadierSensible posted:

Pointless and silly question/thought:

You know the Barassi Line? The invisible geographic line that separates the footy side of the country from the Rugby League side? And how it was so named because on one side, even if you didn't follow footy at all, you would know who Ron Barassi was.

Who would you name the line after if it was being named today? Who is so ubiquitous/important in the footy world that non fans know who they are, but Rugby League people would have no idea?

number 11

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
The Jake Carlisle line

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Very happy for Neville Jetta to have a development job lined up immediately, but did it really have to be with collingwood :smith:

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
On a tangent, but if you were playing Family Feud and had to name league players, but know that the survey was taken in the south, go for Hopoate.

That's only half a joke, a lot of people could name Wally Lewis and Mal Maninga because they got into the zeitgeist but I think possibly more non-followers could name Hopoate for unflattering reasons.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Some bloke called Eddie Betts has joined the Geelong Senior Coaching panel. Never heard of it, I guess he must be good somehow to join the Greatest Team of AllTM

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The Dees have picked up Luke Dunstan as an unrestricted free agent. https://www.afl.com.au/news/682806/dunstan-checks-in-premiers-score-unwanted-saints-ball-magnet

E: I hope the Saints get a James Frawley level of of compensation for this. Pick 10 sounds reasonable to me as an unbiased Saints supporter.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 6, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

The Dees have picked up Luke Dunstan as an unrestricted free agent. https://www.afl.com.au/news/682806/dunstan-checks-in-premiers-score-unwanted-saints-ball-magnet

E: I hope the Saints get a James Frawley level of of compensation for this. Pick 10 sounds reasonable to me as an unbiased Saints supporter.

I hope he likes playing at Casey, this is even weirder than when we got Preuss

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

I hope he likes playing at Casey, this is even weirder than when we got Preuss

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Seems like he wasn't happy with the coaches feedback and was struggling to really cement a spot at the Saints so I can see why he'd leave the Saints but I really don't think he'll get more opportunities at the Dees. At best he's good depth for injuries?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Seems like he wasn't happy with the coaches feedback and was struggling to really cement a spot at the Saints so I can see why he'd leave the Saints but I really don't think he'll get more opportunities at the Dees. At best he's good depth for injuries?

Yeah he basically fills the void left by Jones and Vandenberg.

I guess if Mark Williams works his magic on him and brings his kicking up to scratch he could be a pretty good player.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

You Am I posted:

Some bloke called Eddie Betts has joined the Geelong Senior Coaching panel. Never heard of it, I guess he must be good somehow to join the Greatest Team of AllTM

Hopefully he’s getting well paid to hangout with Chris Scott

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Look at the ridiculous poo poo that Gold Coast is doing:

- Dockers have received Brodie, a second-round pick (currently No.19) and two fourth-round picks (currently No.61 and No.69)
- Suns get a future second-round selection and a future fourth-round selection.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

They’re clearing the salary cap so they can offer million dollar deals to King, Lukosious etc

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Future pick trading and the F/S bidding has resulted in more of these trades where a team clearly loses, but they're fine with it, because 'they have to do it'. I'm not a fan.

Having said that, the Dees have 'won' every future pick trade and we've done it again this year so hopefully we win again.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Windmill Hut posted:

Future pick trading and the F/S bidding has resulted in more of these trades where a team clearly loses, but they're fine with it, because 'they have to do it'. I'm not a fan.

Having said that, the Dees have 'won' every future pick trade and we've done it again this year so hopefully we win again.

Melbourne have traded every future first rounder except the one that ended up being pick 2 :tinfoil:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

They’re clearing the salary cap so they can offer million dollar deals to King, Lukosious etc

And counter a likely Saints approach for King next year too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

harperdc posted:

And counter a likely Saints approach for King next year too.

I think most clubs are going to have a crack at King, the rumour is Essendon is going hard at him.