Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Quantum Shart posted:

:golfclap:

Also, roo been drinking too much of that yank neoliberal juice
https://twitter.com/RalphyHeraldSun/status/1242310173890244608?s=19

A serious, (if possibly very stupid), question:

Given how much money the AFL is losing on The Suns and The Giants, is there an insane millionaire that would be willing to buy either team as a tax write off/speculative investment to take them off the AFLs hands?

Would such a thing help? I mean given drafts and salary caps etc. They couldn't do what rich people do with EPL etc. teams and just throw money at good players like a drunken sailor and hope to buy success. So would it be of any use to them? And what would the players/staff do when things inevitably go wrong and the owner can't make payroll etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think there’s two factors that would cause issue: First, just because you can’t throw money at players doesn’t mean you can’t do what American universities do and throw money at facilities; and second, selling off two clubs in times of crisis would likely be the thin end of the wedge. “Well what about selling [insert club in trouble],” and everything.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

quote:

This extraordinary cutback comes as several senior AFL coaches are working only limited hours, such as Melbourne’s Simon Goodwin

Maybe this Coronavirus thing ain’t all bad after all!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The AFL owns Marvel stadium and will use it for liquidity, at least I hope.
https://twitter.com/RudiEdsall/status/1242767434999664640?s=19

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
We've had private ownership of clubs before and it didn't work out well. The Roos floated around about 1986 (and only went back to the full membership model in 2006) so in that respect it may have saved them, meanwhile it's not much of an coincidence why the Swans and (then) Bears were clown shows when they were privately owned.

But then even with the "traditional" clubs, before the cap came in, clubs were going into debt poaching star recruits from each other even though that was one of the things zoning was meant to prevent. (If you've seen the actual zoning maps, they were pretty farcical.)

The salary cap in the VFL actually came about because some of the VFL decision makers were visiting the US, and got the idea straight from David Stern around about the time he'd brought that in for the NBA.
https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/28517677/how-david-stern-little-help-tv-star-changed-aussie-rules-history

As for this season, well, it's a write-off frankly. It's possible that restrictions may ease up by about August, so I am thinking that the window for a competition will be so short, with players and staff coming back into it cold.

Absolute best case scenario is they get, maybe 12 weeks, with that they could do a split conference system like the AFLW, have the top 3 or 4 from each in the finals, but they need to have that done by late October. So that's still late July they would have to start by then if they have shorter breaks between games and play through the week.

Most likely, the season gets blanked.

Worst case scenario, everyone dies, not due to the virus but because the Yellowstone finally decided to burst right open and bust forth oceans of molten gooey death, followed a couple of weeks later by an asteroid.

I can't see that happening, even though we are still very early in this crisis and honestly sport is one of those things that can take a backseat until we get some sort of normalcy again. Whenever the gently caress that is.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Apropos of absolutely nothing:

Post your favourite ex-footballer who now looks like a mad scientist.

Exhibit 1 - John Platten.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Northern Blues are now defunct, and even if the VFL goes ahead later in the year Carlton will be allowed to form a new reserves side using anything they'd like to salvage instead of inviting Northern back.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Carlton were probably going to establish our own VFL team once we got out of debt in the next year or two and built the new training centre which would house all four teams under the one roof (afl, aflw, vfl, vflw)

But this sucks, it kills off Preston Football Club after 138 years.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

🚨 2018 Grand Final on 7mate now 🚨

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Brown Paper Bag posted:

🚨 2018 Grand Final on 7mate now 🚨

It was Round 14 2009 here in Vic :getin:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/tommorris32/status/1243439633653846016?s=21

Seems there’s some sort of equitable/tiered structure to the pay cut which is good at least.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Solemn Sloth posted:

https://twitter.com/tommorris32/status/1243439633653846016?s=21

Seems there’s some sort of equitable/tiered structure to the pay cut which is good at least.

Yeah it is good. It was laughable hearing about gill taking an 80% pay cut while millions are out of work. I mean I love dusty but I’m not exactly feeling sorry for him taking a hit you know?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

that made the round on our club group chat, glad we can still laugh at times like this

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
haha, he's hidden/deleted the tweet as well, what a roast.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
:eyepop:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

A lot of emergency service workers seem pretty loving worried about it, but of course you wouldn’t expect kane to understand that

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Hahaha, perfect :3:

Seriously, what is it with some people that forces them to adopt a smug "why are you all getting so worked up :smug:" posture about this stuff? Like somehow all the medical and epidemiology experts just aren't as logical and sensible as Kane loving Cornes when it comes to a global pandemic.

Presumably he's never even stopped to think that his voice has weight (somehow) and that him minimising the virus could literally lead to additional deaths.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

cmndstab posted:

Presumably he's never even stopped to think

I'm just going to stop you there

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

A lot of emergency service workers seem pretty loving worried about it, but of course you wouldn’t expect kane to understand that

lol

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NPR Journalizard posted:

I'm just going to stop you there

I don't think that whole family has ever stopped to think

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
The thing I feel like makes it obvious its serious is how many businesses who normally would do absolutely anything to not lose a single dollar are shutting down. The AFL being one - you think they would shut down the league for anything less than the fact they absolutely 100% have to? When that's happening its hard to understand how people can have the Kane Cornes attitude.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

If AFL gets completely canned this year, Round 1 2021 should see be return of rivalry round.

Thurs: Carlton v Collingwood

Fri: Essendon v Richmond

Sat arvo: St Kilda v Melbourne (Saints vs Demons, battle at the pearly gates)
Sat arvo: Brisbane v Gold Coast
Sat night: West Coast v Fremantle
Sat night: Hawks v Geelong

Sunday arvo: Sydney v GWS
Sunday arvo: WB v North (sorry this one is kinda boring)
Sunday 6pm start: Adelaide v Port

Surely that would absolutely smash single-round attendance figures?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I could see it. Then those same games doubled up later that season

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/freodockers/status/1245110664495947776?s=21

:allears:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
eddie you absolute muppet
https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/1245259103334793216

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's embarrassing stuff, Ed.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

One of the worst / most 2000’s jumper in history, but a heart warming result nonetheless

https://twitter.com/freodockers/status/1245514802010533888?s=21

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

loving hell eddie

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Eddie continued his fit of pique later the same day against Caroline Wilson, before the AFL announced that they were taking control from all the clubs and that refunds for all club members will be honoured on request.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

NTRabbit posted:

Eddie continued his fit of pique later the same day against Caroline Wilson, before the AFL announced that they were taking control from all the clubs and that refunds for all club members will be honoured on request.

Yessss

I mean I do understand it’d be hard for the clubs but like how many people are trying to cancel just for fun. If you are employed and love the club you’ll keep the membership. If you lose your job you might need the money and you’re definitely not getting the service promised right now. Eddie true man of the people there

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

teacup posted:

Yessss

I mean I do understand it’d be hard for the clubs but like how many people are trying to cancel just for fun. If you are employed and love the club you’ll keep the membership. If you lose your job you might need the money and you’re definitely not getting the service promised right now. Eddie true man of the people there

The great thing about it is that Ed probably though he was doing the right thing by making people who are under massive financial stress ring up and beg for their money back.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought he was saying they might give you a loan if you begged hard enough, not give you a refund

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
How loving tone deaf is it for a rich prick like McGuire to try and lean on struggling members thinking about a refund on what for the average person can be a hell of a lot of money even in good times. What's his net worth, couldn't he prop up the whole thing himself or with a few mates?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hey man, knock it off, Eddie is a man of the people who has a bunch of jobs, just like struggling folk. I mean it's not like hosting a tv show, a radio show, being president of the biggest AFL club and having a column in the hun pay a lot. I'm sure he is struggling to get by.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Apparently Moana Hope is a 5G nuffy

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

One of my FB friends was talking about the 'rona and mentioned that any idiots who talk about how 5G is responsible will have their uninformed opinions deleted from his thread and I was like 'wait that's a thing people think?'

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Chairchucker posted:

One of my FB friends was talking about the 'rona and mentioned that any idiots who talk about how 5G is responsible will have their uninformed opinions deleted from his thread and I was like 'wait that's a thing people think?'

Yeah, the same people were overlaying maps of the bushfires with the 5G rollout and the high speed rail path too.

The Guardian has reported in the past that a lot of this poo poo originates from Russian troll factories

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Can someone tell Kane Cornes that footy is on hold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

The Guardian has reported in the past that a lot of this poo poo originates from Russian troll factories

It also just originates from a lot of people being dumb as gently caress