Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Freo and GC playing the first game without a behind being scored in the first half, 6 v 7 goals at half time. A pretty decent game to watch, with a bit of push and shove at half time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Some good shirtless footage of Taberner as well, a lot to like about the freo v suns game.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/sirswampthing/status/1276828080569331713?s=21

Rowell to win the brownlow by round 6

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Holy cow. What a finish to the bombers carlton game! That was a lovely game to watch but at least the last 2 minutes were interesting.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oh man, Essendon couldn't get it done even after the gifted 50 there at the end.

Bombers still have a game in hand but that's a rough one to lose.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
what a disgraceful ending to the game though.

Eddie Betts hit with a very random 50m penalty, despite Saad playing on, then the umpire making that 50m penalty closer to 75m.

Bizarre game, we played like rubbish, Essendon played worse but hung on.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Footy is poo poo again.

But we should have lost by a lot more tonight so, can’t really be too down on that.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Look at this poo poo! sack the umpire

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1276853784593829888

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Not often I'd say this but I'm actually glad we lost tonight. Firstly for how bad we played we didn't deserve to be that close and to let us feel like that is an acceptable standard to play and win games isn't good for us.
But also because to win off the back of that would have been insane, what the hell was that ump thinking??

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

drunkill posted:

crows bad

edit: Brisbane are bad at main eggs

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 28, 2020

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I actually forgot the match was on. Turned on the TV to see the Crows down by a couple of goals and thought, okay, not too bad. Apparently we were 40 points down at half time? Haha.

Traditional Crows Honourable Loss coming up.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
brisbane pick up another 4 points just for winning the game. terrible accuracy

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cmndstab posted:

I actually forgot the match was on. Turned on the TV to see the Crows down by a couple of goals and thought, okay, not too bad. Apparently we were 40 points down at half time? Haha.

Traditional Crows Honourable Loss coming up.

Would have been turbosmashed if Brisbane could kick straight, they missed some absolute sitters all game to end up with 10.23, zero pressure 30 out straight in front type of misses

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

McCluggage 1.5, Neale 0.6 :wtc:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This week I will be blaming the Demon's performance on the long layoff, thereby neatly making it Essendon's fault.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Dangerfield is a bit of a flopping dickhead on the field, I feel like his reputation would be so much better if he was just a no fuss player.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Windmill Hut posted:

Dangerfield is a bit of a flopping dickhead on the field, I feel like his reputation would be so much better if he was just a no fuss player.

Commentators constantly suck his dick and ignore his flopping so I’m not sure I buy that it actually hurts his reputation, it should, but it doesnt.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
It's weird with Dangerfield, because he is a genuinely tough and courageous player despite his tendency to flop. Hard to know what to make of him.

So much for an honourable loss for the Crows. At least this time we're an actual basket case rather than just disappointingly mediocre. Hopefully it prompts actual changes for the first time ever.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Melbourne bad football men

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Memento posted:

This week I will be blaming the Demon's performance on the long layoff, thereby neatly making it Essendon's fault.

We lost to Carlton, that's punishment enough

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lol get a 50 with 90 seconds left, opposition defence unmanned

Slowly stroll up and take your full time for the kick

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
sums it up

https://twitter.com/ethanmeldrum_/status/1277114886720385025

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Could have sworn Tom McDonald was taller than that

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Games decided by 1, 2, 3 and 4 points. Weird.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Windmill Hut posted:

Games decided by 1, 2, 3 and 4 points. Weird.

And yet still a garbage round of football, congrats AFL?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
managed to catch the Brisbane/Adelaide game live last night :toot: now I've got my box set to auto-tune for these 11pm U.S. time games. shame Fox banishes them all to the bullshit premium soccer channel as I like to watch the football tbh

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

managed to catch the Brisbane/Adelaide game live last night :toot: now I've got my box set to auto-tune for these 11pm U.S. time games. shame Fox banishes them all to the bullshit premium soccer channel as I like to watch the football tbh

two games per week on espn 2 or 3 as well.

Follow the USAFL1997 twitter account for US schedules, posted midweek.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

drunkill posted:

two games per week on espn 2 or 3 as well.

Follow the USAFL1997 twitter account for US schedules, posted midweek.

really? I went through the whole guide for "AFL" and only saw the Fox stuff, but I'll keep an eye on the Twitter page. god bless these people staying up for the 1:30/4am games hahaha

also who should I root for, I read all the colorful bios in the OP and they all seem very exciting

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Port Adelaide are an up-and-coming team with some exciting young players and an entertaining game style, they would be pretty fun to follow. Perhaps it's a bit too easy to recommend them at the moment since they're undefeated and at the top of the ladder, though.

Tell us something about your usual sports team preferences and we might be able to make an appropriate recommendation.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Well, I'm a Boston sports fan so that Port Adelaide doesn't sound too far out of my wheelhouse, but I don't absolutely have to watch a team that Just Wins, Baby as long as it's fun and a good time

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Go for the Brisbane Lions because Charlie Cameron is the best.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Chairchucker posted:

Go for the Brisbane Lions because Charlie Cameron is the best.

Charlie Cameron is good. Charlie Cameron is great. Charlie Cameron is awesome.

All these things are true, but he will never be the best until he loses his silly moustache!

Grrr. Why can't these young people look and dress the way I want them to! It's PC gone mad .... somehow.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Well, I'm a Boston sports fan so that Port Adelaide doesn't sound too far out of my wheelhouse, but I don't absolutely have to watch a team that Just Wins, Baby as long as it's fun and a good time

If you just want something to pour time into for a little bit and then return to your normal sportsballs, go for Melbourne. I guarantee you you will not feel any urge to return and keep watching.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

How many draft picks do you reckon we need to chuck in for Adelaide to poach Simon Goodwin

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you just want something to pour time into for a little bit and then return to your normal sportsballs, go for Melbourne. I guarantee you you will not feel any urge to return and keep watching.

Also, the local USAFL amateur club in Boston are also the Demons. But the AFL club history is closer to the New York Knicks than anything else.

Don’t worry about having to choose a favorite team after two games. Enjoy the sport and let it come naturally.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

How many draft picks do you reckon we need to chuck in for Adelaide to poach Simon Goodwin

Out of the frying pan and into the dumpster fire with that move.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

From all the rumours and scuttlebutt around it sounds like Adelaide has a real boys' club issue where if you've played for the Crows before come work for us, no matter how poo poo you are (see Brett Burton and Ricuitto)

Like NTRabbit is saying hopefully a bottom of the ladder finish will prompt a real cleanout and some years of rebuilding.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

without the special soccer channel they put most of the games on, I don't get enough of the games to really latch onto one team in my opinion. I just let the sports wash over me. incidentally, was funny to see that one-pointer where the losing team had more goals but lost on behinds iirc, Carlton and someone, how often does that happen?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

oystertoadfish posted:

without the special soccer channel they put most of the games on, I don't get enough of the games to really latch onto one team in my opinion. I just let the sports wash over me. incidentally, was funny to see that one-pointer where the losing team had more goals but lost on behinds iirc, Carlton and someone, how often does that happen?

Not often but the lower scoring games at the moment make it more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

“The Age” posted:

Alastair Clarkson has launched a broadside at the AFL and its rules, arguing that umpires are not properly able to adjudicate incorrect disposal, which he says is leading to dour, low-scoring footy.

Clarkson was speaking after his side narrowly beat North Melbourne in a largely forgettable match on Sunday at Marvel Stadium. It followed a lacklustre showing between Geelong and Melbourne at the MCG where Chris Scott floated the idea that 16-a-side would open up the game, although he did not advocate a reduction in player numbers.
The four-time premiership coach took aim at the incorrect disposal rule unprompted, and media had a tough time bringing him off the topic once he got going.

"I thought it was a terrible spectacle. I am sorry for shitcanning our own brand and our own club and our own team in this space," Clarkson said.

"We had 69 tackles [and] I don’t think we had a free kick from a tackle. 69 tackles and not one of them can be adjudicated as holding the ball? It’s like what’s happened to our game? You can’t have that many tackles and not one of them be incorrect disposal.

"The powers that be don’t think that right at the minute. Hopefully it will change because they’re wondering why goals can’t be scored.

"Some of the coaches and others … and some of the rules committee think the ball player needs to be protected so give him every opportunity.

"It’s been going on for four or five years and the rules committee keep winning their way."

He said paying more of these free kicks would open up the game.

"At the minute the seagulls are all going after the chip. If there’s [an] incorrect disposal [free kick] you watch the seagulls spread," Clarkson said.

"The seagulls aren’t spreading out anymore because we aren’t paying the freekick.

"It’s frustrating … because there are a lot of coaches putting in a lot of time trying to work out ‘how can we become more attacking and offensive?’

"Every coach talks about it, including me.

"What’s coaching got to do with it? We teach our players to tackle and they tackle. If a player doesn’t dispose the ball correctly the rule book says blow the whistle and pay a freekick."

Clarkson also admitted he wasn't happy with how his side played, outside of his incorrect disposal complaints, and said that both sides should have had more tackles rewarded with free kicks.

"I was so disappointed with the way we played and I am so disappointed with the way the game is being played. It’s frustrating and it must be frustrating for our fans," he said.

"We are seeing a lot of stop [and] start, skinny side of the oval football dominated by defences and I think the game can help that in terms of the way it is adjudicated."

Clarkson is widely considered the architect of footy's modern day "zone" system of play.

In March this year Clarkson conceded he was one of the coaches who had contributed to the game’s trend of increasingly defensive tactics.

"No club plays 'one v one' anymore. It's all zones," Clarkson told SEN radio earlier this year. "That type of zoning and connection between one another to defend has become very sophisticated across all teams. The upshot of that is no bugger can score anymore."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/s-canning-our-brand-clarkson-unloads-on-afl-over-poor-fare-for-fans-20200628-p5572m.html

Please, please pay holding the ball more. Players just drop the thing or throw it forward or to a teammate and the umpire just waves play on until there’s an enormous scrum around the ball it’s miserable to watch.