Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
That's a mark and a half :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/stkildafc/status/1278649124750004225

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Saints!! :toot:

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. The Saints player tried to dispose of it immediately, unsuccessfully. The Carlton player tried to spin away, got caught, THEN tried to dispose of it unsuccessfully. Right call in both cases I’d say.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
He dropped the ball, though.

You can make various prior opportunity arguments and all, or debate about the ball being "knocked out", but if someone literally drops the ball in an attempt to kick it, and then fails to make any contact, it surely has to be a free kick.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah that should have been a free kick

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Saints player also fell on his back.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

cmndstab posted:

He dropped the ball, though.

You can make various prior opportunity arguments and all, or debate about the ball being "knocked out", but if someone literally drops the ball in an attempt to kick it, and then fails to make any contact, it surely has to be a free kick.

realbez posted:

Yeah that should have been a free kick

Do you guys even know the rules?
"Dropping the ball" is not a rule. There is nothing about dropping the ball in the laws of the game. The law you're trying to apply is "Incorrect disposal", and the incorrect disposal law is pretty clear that a player must either have had prior opportunity before an incorrect disposal for it to be penalised OR if there was no prior then it must have been a deliberate act (ie a throw). So as long as there was attempt (in this case there was, because he was trying to kick it but didn't get his foot to it) then it's not a free. So yes, cmndstab, I will be making the "prior opportunity" argument, because it's in the laws.
If you take possession of the ball and attempt to dispose of it IMMEDIATELY then you cannot be pinged for holding the ball, whether the disposal was correct or not as long as there was a legitimate attempt.

Now you can argue about whether that's how it SHOULD be or not, but you're arguing with the rules of the game, not the inconsistency of the umpires in that case. I know they're usually a shitshow, but that clip shown above is an example of the laws being interpreted correctly.

Forum Joe fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 3, 2020

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I haven't read the rules word by word, no. Under what circumstances would a player "elect" to incorrectly dispose of the ball?

Are you saying that literally every "incorrect disposal" free kick in history (or at least since those version of the rules were written) was either wrong, or the player chose to incorrectly dispose of the ball?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Forum Joe posted:

"Dropping the ball" is not a rule. There is nothing about dropping the ball in the laws of the game. The law you're trying to apply is "Incorrect disposal", and the incorrect disposal law is pretty clear that a player must either have had prior opportunity before an incorrect disposal for it to be penalised OR if there was no prior then it must have been a deliberate act (ie a throw). So as long as there was attempt (in this case there was, because he was trying to kick it but didn't get his foot to it) then it's not a free. So yes, cmndstab, I will be making the "prior opportunity" argument, because it's in the laws.
If you take possession of the ball and attempt to dispose of it IMMEDIATELY then you cannot be pinged for holding the ball, whether the disposal was correct or not.

Now you can argue about whether that's how it SHOULD be or not, but you're arguing with the rules of the game, not the inconsistency of the umpires in that case. I know they're usually a shitshow, but that clip shown above is an example of the laws being interpreted correctly.

Maybe you should read the rules you're highlighting?

Did the player genuinely attempt to dispose of the ball correctly? No.
Did the tackle cause the football to be dislodged? No, the player chose to drop it as soon as the tackle was applied.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Did the player genuinely attempt to dispose of the ball correctly? No.

Yes! he clearly dropped the ball in attempt to kick it, and then missed with his foot because he was being tackled.

You HAVE to drop the ball to kick it, from a physics point of view. If you are holding a thing, I’d really like to see you try to kick it without dropping it first.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

cmndstab posted:

Are you saying that literally every "incorrect disposal" free kick in history (or at least since those version of the rules were written) was either wrong, or the player chose to incorrectly dispose of the ball?

Nah, mate. A throw is not a legal disposes but is a deliberate action, so any throw of the ball is not a genuine attempt. But a drop is a required part of an attempt to kick, so if you drop it and then swing your foot at it, it’s a genuine attempt at correct disposal.

As for “every incorrect disposal free kick in history”, remember that these rules only apply if there’s no prior. If there IS prior opportunity then there has to be a successful disposal, not just an attempt at one. So if that st kilda player had an extra second before being tackled and THEN did exactly the same thing, that would be incorrect disposal. Free kick Carlton.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Forum Joe posted:

The most pathetic post in the history of this thread.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Quantum Shart posted:

lol

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Quantum Shart posted:

That's a pretty long history, but yeah, you're probably correct.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Qld strong

https://twitter.com/DanielCherny/status/1278877386952474624

drunkill fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 3, 2020

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought we’d be staying in Sydney for a while since we are already there but the news sites were predicting the hawks would be going to Queensland for some reason.

Anyway our next few are ok, 3 games at giants stadium.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
North Melbourne finally relocated to the Gold Coast.

The AFL won that fight in the end.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Should have sent a team to Tasmania.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
ROUND SIX

Thursday, July 9

Geelong v Brisbane, SCG, 7.40pm AEST

Friday, Jul 10

Collingwood v Hawthorn, Giants Stadium, 7.50pm AEST

Saturday, July 11

Fremantle v St Kilda, Metricon Stadium, 12.35pm AEST

West Coast v Adelaide, Gabba, 3.05pm AEST

Melbourne v Gold Coast, Giants Stadium, 6.05pm AEST

Essendon v North Melbourne, Metricon Stadium, 7.40pm AEST

Sunday, July 12

Port Adelaide v GWS, Metricon Stadium, 1.05pm AEST

Richmond v Sydney, Gabba, 3.35pm AEST

Carlton v Western Bulldogs, Metricon Stadium, 6.45pm AEST

ROUND SEVEN

Thursday, July 16

Geelong v Collingwood, Optus Stadium. 6.10pm AWST, 8.10 AEST

Friday, July 17

Essendon v Western Bulldogs, Metricon Stadium, 7.50pm AEST

Saturday, July 18

GWS v Brisbane, Giants Stadium, 1.45pm AEST

Sydney v Gold Coast, SCG, 4.35pm AEST

Richmond v North Melbourne, Metricon Stadium, 7.40pm AEST

Sunday, July 19

Carlton v Port Adelaide, Gabba, 1.05pm AEST

Hawthorn v Melbourne, Giants Stadium, 3.35pm AEST

Fremantle v West Coast, Optus Stadium, 4.35pm AWST, 6.35pm AEST

Monday, July 20

Adelaide v St Kilda, Adelaide Oval, 7.10pm ACST, 7.40pm AEST

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Sounds like they’ve added a “ball” sound to the fake crowd noise

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The evolution of the sound board is by far the most entertaining part of this season

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It is getting better and their reaction times are pretty good

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I'm just waiting for the first distinguishable "You white maggot". That's when you know the technology is up to scratch.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1279012584377610240

I see nothing wrong with this at all, seriously. It's a rule - and the ball is quite clearly going to bounce into the post without fully crossing, even if you remove the umpire.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Yeah it seems pretty cut and dry and oh boy oh boy BT is nauseating.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Diet Crack posted:

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1279012584377610240

I see nothing wrong with this at all, seriously. It's a rule - and the ball is quite clearly going to bounce into the post without fully crossing, even if you remove the umpire.

I disagree with the replay tech asserting it was clearly going to hit the post regardless of the umpire

But, it’s still absolutely the correct outcome.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol however at a completely normal tackle being "Dangerous" and gifting the Pies a needed goal.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Need to play the ANZAC Day game in July each year now. Seriously if this Essendon or even Collingwood played Carlton last week they’d smash them so who the gently caress knows anymore.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spedman posted:

Sounds like they’ve added a “ball” sound to the fake crowd noise

it's what I was calling for from the first return game a couple weeks ago, glad they've finally caught up.

thepokey posted:

Need to play the ANZAC Day game in July each year now.

Fourth of July game?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

harperdc posted:

it's what I was calling for from the first return game a couple weeks ago, glad they've finally caught up.

Fourth of July game?

Should have been the 2nd of July game to match the number of disposals Cox had

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Forum Joe posted:

As for “every incorrect disposal free kick in history”, remember that these rules only apply if there’s no prior. If there IS prior opportunity then there has to be a successful disposal, not just an attempt at one. So if that st kilda player had an extra second before being tackled and THEN did exactly the same thing, that would be incorrect disposal. Free kick Carlton.

No, I get that, but the umpires make a clear distinction between "holding the ball" and "incorrect disposal". I have no data to back this up, but it feels to me like there are several a game where they umpires specifically call "incorrect disposal" and they're not all throws.

I don't know, it feels wrong to me but if those are the rules as written, fair enough.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
When they say incorrect disposal it’s always after saying and signalling holding the ball, I think. It’s a reason for paying holding the ball, and isn’t used for throws.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Diet Crack posted:

/7AFL/status/1279012584377610240

Time to bring in hawkeye and ball tracking.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 3, 2020

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
With that ball hitting the goal umpire... shouldn’t they have balled it up at the top of the square or something? I thought it was play on when the ball hits an umpire, and it bounced back into play but then everyone stopped to wait for the score review. But the ball never crossed the goal line so there shouldn’t have been a score, right? There’s no umpire before post rule or anything so why didn’t they restart play with a ball up?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gently caress me this is going to be a long rear end game unless the Eagles clean their poo poo up

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Who's number eight for the Eagles? He might want to think about what he's going to do next week

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Newman, Sheahan, Scott, and Winmar reached a settlement out of court, with $100k cash to the Michael Long Foundation and a public apology from the trio to Winmar. A very good result.

Looking forward to Newman having a pissbaby moan on socials because the mediation was led by a black (Wiradjuri broadcaster and academic Stan Grant) and a Jew (retired federal court judge Raymond Finkelstein)

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 4, 2020

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

De Goey has been charged with sexual assault

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I don't know who is responsible for the mullets on the Eagles team but they should be ashamed of themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NPR Journalizard posted:

I don't know who is responsible for the mullets on the Eagles team but they should be ashamed of themselves

Guarantee they're giving each other haircuts in the hotel