Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
AFL Evolution 2 is on Steam now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

This jumper loving sucks

The jumper last night owned, seemed to be getting a lot of hype amongst my mate and on the socials.

The Dees have a good set of guernseys at the moment.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm worried the Crows' late burst of competence will cause the club to declare there are no changes needed.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Chairchucker posted:

I'm worried the Crows' late burst of competence will cause the club to declare there are no changes needed.

Hell yeah

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I hope Simon Goodwin signs a three year extension :colbert:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

I hope Simon Goodwin signs a three year extension :colbert:

Bold, how long will his initial crows contract be?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chairchucker posted:

Glorious

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I'm worried Essendon will see this late surge of the Crows and be like "wow they're successful, lets do what they're doing!" and abandon our "Richmond but worse" strategy for a "Adelaide but worse" strategy

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
lol Blues

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It'd be nice if carlton ever played four quarters.

Hell, 3 quarters would be nice.

hopefully next year it is a normal season with no repeat 4 day breaks and proper length games

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
It's nice of Hawthorn to lie down so that the Bulldogs can build some percentage. :thumbsup:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Inconceivably, the Crows are now an outside chance to cost themselves pick 1 avoid the wooden spoon.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The bottom 4 is very unlikely to change in content or order now. I hope we spend pick 3 wisely!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Correction, Sydney can cost themselves pick 4

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lmao Carlton

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
gently caress 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
gently caress 2020 for real.

Simmo is retiring. Probably a selfless act to let a younger person play in but Kade is a top 10 player for us still and nobody is pushing for his spot in the team yet.

Huge mistake to move him on, while Murphy and Betts look like playing on. Pathetic by the club.

Legend of the club in our darkest time. Shoukd have gotten his 350th at least.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is he being told to go or is he over it all?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Says he's retiring but list size reduction basically means told to go. Especially if Eddie and Murphy play next year, I'd drop them before simpson has their positions have other players to fill.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
The Dees need to beat Essendon to compete for the finals, and a big win for percentage will help cement their claim.

I can say therefore with absolute surety that due to this slight amount of pressure coming into the game, the Dees will lose by 10 goals against the Bombers.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Adelaide could theoretically knock Richmond out of the top four.

Is there much of a difference between pick one and two, when it comes down to it?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Depends on the draft.

And given this years draft class has been interrupted and they've missed a year of u18 footy the best known results will only come out during the draft combine.

Generally there is one standout player, but pick 5 or 7 might be a dud, who knows.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

drunkill posted:

gently caress 2020 for real.

Simmo is retiring.

Simmo was a bright light in the original dark days. I think he was first pick after all those stripped picks. What terrible luck for him. He was one of the few players you could trust to dispose the ball safely.

And then Judd and others came and started the OK period, and he seemed to fade to the background a bit, doing a solid but non-showy job. But then later in his career, probably post-Judd, he went up several gears to become pretty much an elite player.

Journeyman players are sometimes better later in their careers because they get a better footy brain through maturity and experience - I think we see that fairly regularly, if their bodies keep up - but I don't think elite players often emerge at the age he did.

Agree with you, he's my favourite and I'm sad he's going.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Recent history of the #1 pick hasn't been good... in the last decade you couldn't say that any are the best player in their draft class, and many aren't even in the top 10. The key forwards has all been particularly bad.

Matt Rowell might end up being the first #1 pick since Riewoldt (or Goddard?) to be clearly the best player from that draft.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Windmill Hut posted:

Recent history of the #1 pick hasn't been good... in the last decade you couldn't say that any are the best player in their draft class, and many aren't even in the top 10. The key forwards has all been particularly bad.

Matt Rowell might end up being the first #1 pick since Riewoldt (or Goddard?) to be clearly the best player from that draft.

There is a school of thought that because there’s so much pressure to get the #1 pick right list managers tend to go with the safest option rather than the player with the biggest upside.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

There is a school of thought that because there’s so much pressure to get the #1 pick right list managers tend to go with the safest option rather than the player with the biggest upside.

Yeah, sometimes "need" seems to come into play too, e.g. McCartin taken pick #1 over Petracca (as a Riewoldt replacement).

Differences in physical development make it difficult too, some big bodied midfielders or key forwards can bully opponents at junior level, but don't improve much at AFL level. How can you know if this will be the case? It's tough. I do like the idea of raising the draft age to 19 / one year out of school.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also, (and this has been said before and often, so it's well trodden ground).

But there is a fucktonne of pressure in being the number 1 draft pick. Pressure heaped on a gun 17 year old footballer, who up until then has probably only been told he is great and has been the best in his team.

Then he moves to a poo poo team, (who else gets the 1 pick?), where there is expectation that he will mastermind a sudden change of fortune. Is put in a fishbowl where every bad game he plays will get fat 45 year olds tweeting how awful he is, and every average game will get articles written about him on the back page comparing him to Richard Tambling, (not a no. 1 pick I know, but you know what I mean.), and every good game just increasing the intensity and bitterness of the last two. ("why can't you do that every time? You're just another prima donna waste of a pick bla bla bla")

This is a lot for a lot of young footballers, and not everyone can handle it. So it is a big reason why high draft picks often fail.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also sometimes the club is just fuckin dumb, Jack Watts weighed about 15kg when we debuted him :psyduck:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

snaeksikn posted:

The Dees need to beat Essendon to compete for the finals, and a big win for percentage will help cement their claim.

I can say therefore with absolute surety that due to this slight amount of pressure coming into the game, the Dees will lose by 10 goals against the Bombers.

Basically the Demons have to have a 50 point turnaround to pip the Saints on percentage in order to get in, assuming the dogs win. Tough order but who knows, Essendon could be absolutely dreadful and the Giants could put on a show.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Essendon 'could' be terrible is pretty optimistic

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lachlan Sholl robbed of the rising star nomination in what would have been one of the few positives this year, the AFL continues to be awful

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Listening to a podcast earlier, they raised the point that after their 0-4 start, Freo have since gone 7-5, and could easily be 8-4 if not for that after the siren Newnes goal.

Raises hope that they could knock off the Dogs this weekend...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Windmill Hut posted:

Listening to a podcast earlier, they raised the point that after their 0-4 start, Freo have since gone 7-5, and could easily be 8-4 if not for that after the siren Newnes goal.

Raises hope that they could knock off the Dogs this weekend...

I must not hope. Hope is the mind-killer. Hope is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my hope. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the hope has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Savage list cuts at North

The players delisted are Jamie Macmillan, Majak Daw, Jasper Pittard, Ben Jacobs, Paul Ahern, Mason Wood, Sam Durdin, Marley Williams, Joel Crocker, Lachie Hosie and Tom Murphy

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

The players delisted are Jamie Macmillan, Majak Daw, Jasper Pittard, Ben Jacobs, Paul Ahern, Mason Wood, Sam Durdin, Marley Williams, Joel Crocker, Lachie Hosie and Tom Murphy

11 players. They must know about list size changes for 2021? They'll never get that many players back through drafts or trading.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMzlv2a53bE

:catdrugs: :catdrugs: :catdrugs: :catdrugs: :catdrugs:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Windmill Hut posted:

11 players. They must know about list size changes for 2021? They'll never get that many players back through drafts or trading.

Every club will be cutting at least 5 players, they'll draft 4 or so and pick up outcasts for the rest.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Ahern looked he’d be a player for a while, I guess the knee recos loving him up a bit.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think north will look to move Ben Brown on, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There was a rumour last week that Adelaide had told 12 players they were no longer required, suddenly seems like a more reasonable story