Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

News: apparently the Giants are looking at hosting a game overseas, specifically making a curtain-raising tradition of playing in Los Angeles.

Views: Sure, feel free to try, but Iím not exactly sure where they could play that wouldnít be too short and narrow. Two of the iconic gridiron stadiums, the Rose Bowl and the LA Coliseum, donít have any extra space on the sidelines for a wider field. Iím not sure if you could make a footy oval out of Dodger Field either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

Lets see, in the dim dark recesses of the past exhibition games were played on baseball pitches, specifically Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami and Yokohama Stadium.

Even in LA I think a crowd of 10-20 thousand is optimistic so they wouldn't need anything that big, so just find some baseball pitch with a few stands without an outfield wall, throw some turf over the outfield - it'll suck for the players but not be much worse than Docklands or Stadium Australia has been at time - and play ball!

The difficult part is the Catch 22 of the location ó the prime locations are the wrong shapes, or have a lot of seating so might dwarf the crowd. And that might look a bit minor league. Or, you go to some much smaller stadium, but it will not be a recognizable place so that will make things look small time.

The best bet might be Dodger Stadium or Anaheim Stadium, assuming either of the baseball teams who reside there are interested in assisting.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

footy footy footy footy

I had my first footy training of the year last weekend, it starts again.

quote:

Just got home, time for a cold shower, humid as gently caress in melbourne

Only 22 degrees out though? Before the traditional break up this way we play in 30 degrees plus and even more humid. Itís awful but good training.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

Sadly, no.

Centre circle is painted red.

It is blatant and crass.

That looks worse but before it was also the logo of a car company...?

Itís not like itís replacing a blank space or the AFL logo, itís an Australian retailer replacing the largest automaker in the world. It does look worse but itís not much more or less commercial.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hearing whispers the Shanghai game between Port and St Kilda will be scratched off this year and moved to Docklands instead. Thatís probably the smartest move.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I still have zero clue where theyíd play AFL. If theyíre also exploring the San Francisco Bay Area, it could mean a few more stadiums as possibilities, especially the Oakland Aís / former Oakland Raiders home of the Oakland Coliseum, and Leviís Stadium for the 49ers. The Coliseum would be a decent shout because itís got a ton of space around an NFL gridiron, but hardly the most glamorous area.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Could be worse, like when a MRSA outbreak went through an NFL locker room in 2013.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If the NBA and others are postponing things instead of going behind closed doors, I canít see footy going forward with closed-door games of their own. I donít think itís the right solution.

Given the weekly nature of footy schedules ó not sure you can pack in mid-week games ó itíll probably wind up being a shortened season. Only question is how short.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The joke I would have said is put matches on from everyoneís training ovals/suburban grounds but thatís not really productive given that sports in other parts of the world are being postponed.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Chop first five weeks off, everyone plays everyone else once

This is the right answer and the faster they do it, the better. Get the isolation started now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

If players come down with it well then you cant do much about that.

The AFL has bigger playing squads/lists, and athletes in Europe and the US are already coming down with it. If they went forward somebody would test positive and that would throw everything into immediate chaos; better to lock things down now for a month.

Also it was my assumption footy players would be like rugby or gridiron and require one week or so between match days, please inform me if thatís incorrect.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dees nutz

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

teacup posted:

Hey Iím as much of a get the guillotine than the next guy but could the AFL actually afford this?

Anybody know what % of revenue the clubs pocket and how much goes to players? Even the NBA/NFL is barely 50/50.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gillís about to face the media, Iíve got a feeling this will mean delays.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Footy is a good thing and I want to be excited for the season starting but

snoremac posted:

This is dumb and shouldn't be happening.

I completely agree. It really seems like they think the iceberg is going to move at the last second.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just turned it on halfway through the fourth, that Rioli mullet and tattoo is terrrrrrible

[Edit] whoever said this has no soul, see the case of the team song ringing out across a completely empty MCG after the game ends

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 19, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

Hey guys, remember that awesome thing you went to on the weekend you can talk to your friends and family about? Oh wait that was cancelled. But its okay theres.. oh no thats cancelled as well.

There is just about nothing loving going on for anyone to really look forward to for potentially months, stop loving bitching about the footy being a bit different and be loving grateful we have even this distraction from the virus poo poo.

Itís what I said before: stop it now, delay the start of the season, and reassess in another few weeks. Take the hit now along with the rest of society to get things back to ďnormalĒ quicker.

The soccer, baseball, basketball, everything was suspended for two weeks in Japan. Life slowed to a crawl and there wasnít sports to watch. But it appears things are getting back to normal, and the basketball at least has re-started, and it seems like baseball games are starting today too.

Play the long game. the alternative is one of the players or coaches testing positive and having to yank the handbrake on the full season immediately.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

snaeksikn posted:

They need to pump home ground focussed music like at the basketball, and have a hype man on the mic over the PA

Yíall need to get your own Sir Foster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvbaxxBlrE

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Oh hell yeah there's a WS Giants vs Demons game on right now.

Edit: NM Melbourne has two teams.

There are like 9 teams in the city of Melbourne and one way out in the countryside.

Footy is a bit better with concussions because the tackling is just to keep an opponent from passing the ball, as opposed to flattening them to the ground.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

I'd have preferred they just put all the players in bubbles and only let them out for games

Some galaxy brain genius in the US suggested this with a straight face. In case this is a callback to that, carry on.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

cmndstab posted:

Having the AFLW season just end like that feels like the biggest anticlimax I understand the reasons for doing it and even approve of the decision, but drat, that sucks.

I get the feeling they wonít be the last one that just has to finish, or cut things off short.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Guardian column suggested the figure of $120 mil in the bank for the AFL, but also suggested this could cost five times that amount.

I have a great deal of empathy for the clubs here because these are all proper sporting clubs (or under the banner of a regional admin ala Adelaide and SANFL or the WAFL), itís one thing I like about the AFL. So fingers crossed they all make it through the other side.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

And itís not like with-a-b billionaire team owners in the US sports arenít finding ways to gently caress their staff out of paychecks already, right?

Oh. Right.

But they went back and said they wonít so that means itís all okay, right?!?!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think thereís two factors that would cause issue: First, just because you canít throw money at players doesnít mean you canít do what American universities do and throw money at facilities; and second, selling off two clubs in times of crisis would likely be the thin end of the wedge. ďWell what about selling [insert club in trouble],Ē and everything.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

that made the round on our club group chat, glad we can still laugh at times like this

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

How feasible would it be to have the Victorian teams basically each host one of the interstate teams for practice facilities? Hosting games and which stadiums host is one thing, but limiting the number of places the players go and limiting the need for non-AFL facilities would be important too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Forum Joe posted:

But wonít someone think of the families of the players? They didnít sign up for this? And sure, players can opt out, but can they truly?

Biggest single day of the NBA is Christmas Day, biggest single day of the NFL is Thanksgiving Day. Not saying itís equal or worth it, just that thereís precedent.

And I think if push comes to shove, agreements would be made to share the grounds. Worst case they use the smaller grounds that are able to because I also strongly doubt crowds will be allowed for anything before next year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Yes. Also scrap the bounce and the father/son rule.

The bounce is funny if only because itís a chance to watch a teammate gently caress it up and falcon themselves during training, always a laugh.

But yeah those are both smart ideas.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cautiously optimistic. Not sure itís the best move, and still need to go see what the details will be...but hey, footy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

realbez posted:

A month is plenty of time for it to all unravel again, even if footballers/clubs manage to not stuff it up, so weíll see.

If the masses Zerg rushed out to restaurants today then I guess weíll see in two weeks how bad it gets.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

I was going to say the AFLPA aren't making hands over feet money like the SDA does then I remembered Dangerfield is on the board so you're actually 100% right.

What a loving joke. The initial contract players shouldnt have had their income touched at all.

I'd seen that discussed for other sports, where players with salaries below a certain level were untouched but above that was reduced. shame that wasn't the case here, because "50% for everybody" is one of those things that sounds a whole lot more fair than it actually turns out to be.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So one detail Iíve missed since Iím not plugged into Australian media ó are the WA and SA teams based out of Gold Coast and sharing Metricon/Gabba with the clubs up there? I didnít see how this is working at the moment, or how long that arrangement is expected to last.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Largepotato posted:

I just wanna see Buddy kicking screwies on the SCG.

Hell, same

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

Ofcourse it is.

Glad footy is back! The code is gonna get a huge boost of international viewership - I follow the NFL and American sports quite a bit and have been watching/listening to some Pods, and the Americans are excited to watch. Unfortunately they're all going for "Coxzilla" which means they're supporting the Pies.

Toby Greene needs to be a little more self-aware and come out in a Cobra Kai outfit.

Most fans in the US are casuals who support the Dallas Cowboys, or New England, or other big clubs too. Iíll keep my ears open as to how itís received in the States too, but itís different than if the AFL had continued through April and May when there was literally nothing else sports-y.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

not sure what I'm a bigger fan of, the fake banners covering empty seats (though it appears the cheer squads put some actual junk behind the goals) or the "fans at home" reactions.

I just hope we all get to hear our favorite song after the match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJtaCryzL20

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wondering if whoever is running the crowd noise soundboard has a "BALLL!!!!!" button

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

thepokey posted:

Hey! A computer game took youses guy's place, daddy, thats haaard toymes!

this is both the best and worst thing I can imagine in my life

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

"Three minutes remaining and scores are level"

GET AROUND IT

harperdc posted:

I just hope we all get to hear our favorite song after the match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJtaCryzL20

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

It's like the early morning there so there's not much chance they tuned in. Brisbane v Fremantle and GWS v Norf are the early games which sit nicely in Pacific Time so those guys had better step up.

https://twitter.com/MichaelRyanRuiz/status/1271047651358920711

Morning in the east coast, the above is a producer for the LeBatard Show, which is the sports radio show with the highest ratings and listenership in the U.S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

ah I was only thinking of the first night I'm glad there's more

edit I'm in the us, didn't realize that was the only game at all on the first night. thanks for the list of other games

Saturday and Sunday have multiple games, Thursday and Friday are only ever the one.

[Edit] nice goal by the Hawks just now too, love those scrappy blasts from right in front

[Edit 2] followed immediately by that dumb situation