Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Melbourne offices return to 75% capacity next week - surely this means 50%+ AFL crowds are on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Pre-season starts next week with the real stuff in like 3 1/2 weeks?

Looking forward to crowd announcements. Pray for donut days all for the next month...

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

AFL 2021: Anyone but Richmond

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

https://streamable.com/iwx2kh

great

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

Jayden Hunt has stopped wearing his headband and it's BULLSHIT

He also stopped developing as a player in 2017 so maybe this change will help

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

FOOTY STARTS THIS WEEK

26 degrees and sunny in Melbourne on Saturday :love:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Cool so the AFL add this concussion sub right on the eve of the season.

Can't wait for some speedy player to come in for an injury late in the 3rd quarter and kick 4 goals against tired defenders.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Is it sad to go to the footy by yourself?

I really wanna see the Dees on Saturday, and the weather is too nice watch it on telly at 1.45 on a Saturday. but no-one wants to join me :smith:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Steven May is a very, very good footballer.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I hate that the new rule makes it easier for forwards to score when they take a mark tight in the pocket. Previously this would signal reasonable defense - they forced the opposition to take a bad option. Now the forwards can just run out and do whatever they like because the umpires always take an eternity to call play on.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

It's too hard declare a GOAT in AFL. There are too many players on the field, too many different positions, and the game has changed significantly over the years.

Lance Franklin could finish his career with more than 1000 goals and in the top 5 all-time for goals kicked. This was done while playing in an era where key forwards just don't kick bags any more. He was an absolute freak in his prime. He's one of very players I've seen that you simply can't stop when they are "on".

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

What a loving farce

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

cmndstab posted:

I read the last dozen or so posts and assumed Melbourne had been beaten. Looks like they won by three goals? What was it about the match that upset you?

We should've won by a lot more, could've easily been a 40 points. Kicked 12.19 and a LOT of those points were very gettable set shots. Two of the Saints goals came from easy marks that we dropped and the Saints pounced for goals.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Love this, every time the umpires gift Geelong a goal we get one right back.

Should be 6-7 goals up unfortunately.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Dees

5-0

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/nathan-jones-is-the-greatest-person-who-ever-lived

quote:

In my entire Melbourne Football Club supporting life, there is no player I’ve loved more than Nathan Jones.

During the darkest moments, when it felt like supporting the Dees was a macabre procession of failures, there was Jones on the bottom of a pack trying to will his teammates to show just a modicum of his desire.

With his 300th game on Saturday, Jones represents every Demons supporter who has refused to give up on the club despite countless reason to throw in the towel. Despite it being so incredibly painful for so long.

A nice article by Titus, and relatively serious for him.

Onya Nafe.

:unsmith:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Melbourne suck

Melbourne Deewins

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol get in the bin you loving garbage spewing idiot Caro

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1404415391372398599?s=20

Basically blaming Ross and Membrey for the saints season being over because they chose not to be away from their partners for an extended period, one of whom has 5 week old twins, and the other due to give birth in a week.

What an absolute loving crock of poo poo, the saints should be loving applauded for putting their players families first, heaps of clubs talk the talk but to date few have actually delivered.

Also this is from Wilson who a week ago was on leave from work to visit her new grandchild in the loving plague lands of Europe during a pandemic, absolute hypocrite.

I flat out cannot believe she said this. It's absolutely hosed.

It'd be bad enough on it's own, but add in her own recent leave - get FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED CARO.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Lol gently caress off back to ninth where you belong Richmond

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Clarkson to Mitchel in 2023 :munch:

Goodwin to Clarkson 2023 :munch:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Lol Richmond play the Lions and Cats next two games. They're done.

A great weekend for Melbourne.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

:sickos:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Saw a suggestion earlier in the week for the AFL to cancel this weekend and remove the pre-finals bye to keep the schedule on-time. I'm 100% on board with this. I would expect SA and VIC to come out of lockdown in 7 days, so we can resume proceedings with relative normality.

It also gives a chance for the quarantining players to get their 14 days done while missing less games.

Much like everything else in this country related to COVID, common sense won't prevail so this won't happen, but it makes sense to me.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Grand Final is definitely going to Perth hey.

Lame.

I just hope that we might not need to 14 day quarantine. Will pay to get there if the Dees somehow make it.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Great. Not only will I not be able to see Melbourne play finals live, with the way things are going we won't even be able to go to pub or have friends over.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

That’s less of an Essendon thing and more of an every single time the bulldogs play thing

:hmmyes:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I want to see the Dees win a flag more than I want anything else in my life. This year feels like our best chance, but I'm scared to death of feeling unfulfilled if it's played in Perth and Melbourne is either still in lockdown, or we're locked out of travelling to Perth.

If they get rid of the pre-finals bye, and it sounds like the AFL almost certainly will, the Grand Final is only 5 weeks from today.

Hard to see it being played in Melbourne with any crowd, and I can't spend 14 days in Perth quarantine hoping that Melbourne makes it.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Franklin has 2 already, leaving him with 12 to reach 1000 goals.

Sydney are pantsing Gold Coast, he could kick 5-6.

It would be amazing if he ended the year in the 997-999 range. Make Sydney vs Hawks round 1 at the MCG.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

I have to assume the live ladder is getting a hell of a workout on the brisbane vs west coast telecast

Currently 0.2% short of a top 4 spot

E:goal to Eagles as I was typing cost another 0.5% lol

It's like watching Adelaide vs West Coast 2017 (tracking West Coast vs. Melbourne percentage)

I feel sick

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Ball kicked 10 metres, marked called.

Fumble in a defensive contest, goes over the line, deliberate.

This is why people hate AFL, umpires' judgement calls are too often wrong.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Adam Cerra has asked for a trade to a Vic club. Carlton you would think is the obvious choice, straight swap for Pick 6.

Sets Fremantle back a bit, but taking pick 6 and 8 into the draft this year allows them to load up again with more good young talent.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

realbez posted:

Lever hosed up and knew it the second he moved but the stand rule needs to go, and zone infringements should be 15m or something not 50

When players are kicking for goal they are given so much leeway. They walk off the mark and the umpire will be like "no, back to your line". Why a different set of rules for attacking players? He went off the line, call play on.

It's just classic AFL. Introduce more rules for umpires to interpret poorly.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The fact that he wont get suspended for this makes me even more excited to see the Dees knock them off next Friday. We'll win by 6-8 goals.

Feels like a LOT of neutral supports will be on Melbourne's side next week too.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Windmill Hut posted:

The fact that he wont get suspended for this makes me even more excited to see the Dees knock them off next Friday. We'll win by 6-8 goals.

snaeksikn posted:

*Thunder claps in background ominously*

monolithburger posted:

Look, go Dees, but please keep in mind that we're legally obligated to quote this post if they lose.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Windmill is a lunatic

:smuggo:

That was some performance. Not just for Melbourne but of any team in recent memory.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Port just let the Dogs do whatever the hell they want

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Lol the only way to watch the Brownlow is if you have a wired TV connection. It's not on streamed Foxtel, and it's not on 7Plus.

I rent an apartment without an antenna connection and don't care for one. I shouldn't be surprised though, the AFL has always been in the dark ages with technology.

Windmill Hut fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 19, 2021

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

From the top 25 players the 2012 draft:

- 15 have been delisted
- 5 are at another club

We can point the finger about drafting Toumpas over Wines but plenty of other clubs stuffed it too. O'Rouke and Plowman went before Wines. The Dogs had two chances at Wines too, but took Macrae and Stringer instead. Macrae is a prolific ball winner but isn't damaging like Wines.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

This time next week I’ll be fully vaccinated from both COVID 19 and any sense of positivity or joy in the world.

Getting my second shot on Thursday (AZ gang represent).

My team is playing in the GF, and it's the least 'GF feeling' week ever. It really sucks.

My only positive take - if we win, there is huge motivation to get back there again next year to win it at the MCG in front of Melbourne fans.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

lol "Grand Final isn't being played in my state" crying from Victorians, welcome to the rest of Australia peeps

I didn't say that, and I've never said that. If the GF was in Perth (or any other city) and I could travel to see be there, I would be there. It would make the build up of this week fantastic. And a holiday? Hell yeah! Would love to be in Perth having some time off and seeing the Dees.

Windmill Hut fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

One of my worst Dees memories was going to GMHBA in round 2, 2019. We were expected to contest for the flag after making the prelim in 2018, recruiting Steven May, and eventually getting Lever back from injury.

Instead we got smacked by 80 points, May did his hammy, and it absolutely pissed down with rain while I was surrounded by thousands of Geelong supporters.

Everything good from 2018 was erased in the first two weeks of that season and it felt like we need to start over again.

Fast forward a couple of years... half way through the third quarter of the Grand Final, I was having thoughts about where I could keep watching if the Dogs kicked a few more goals.

100-7 from then on. It still doesn't seem real.