Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

put clinton in prison imo

Lipstick Apathy

Lovely OP as always!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

gay picnic defence posted:

I don't see how you can have a meaningful season under those circumstances.

Same, I don't see anything blowing over for a year minimum, and I'm being pessimistic because the virus is good at mutating and we aren't good at evolving that fast. We can only look at mitigation in the short term, the long-term problem is solving the mechanism of a the class of viruses covid-19 belongs to, which takes time and money.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

Listening on ABC radio, this is really weird. I'm wondering how different it will be when they can hear each other without a crowd. Very tinny and empty reverb. Much discussion prior to the call about pros and cons, I think it's a bit optimistic to suggest a club would accept dropping out due to covid-19 and the season to continue, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

cmndstab posted:

I remember for a brief period they released a Strawberry Ripe which was actually pretty good, so of course they immediately got rid of it.

There were a few nice test flavours out there for a while, I liked the dark cherry ripe too.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

Lmao my tipping loving sucks. Go Crows!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

Testekill posted:

Suns good or Eagles bad? I know that Crows bad.

I'm going to go with Suns recovered from Ablett Jnr and WCE out of sorts. Crows have no excuse though.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

Looking at the tips for round 3 and Port vs Eagles at Metricon, that's a bit harsh. Finally memorizing whatever they're calling Docklands this year, that's getting stupid too.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

Saint's midfield has got issues but they do seem to be playing with enthusiasm. Umpires are dire though.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

Crouch picked Saints, that's a nice Xmas pressie. I think if the Tigers do prevail over the Cats it will probably be because they have a more cohesive team spirit vs actual talent. I don't doubt that the price of a GF came with the retirement of Ablett, no one at Cats HQ could stomach that little bastard for much longer. There are rough diamonds in every time but it's noticeable how many dour unlikable bastards there are in the top teams and their ranks are not thinning.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

BrigadierSensible posted:

Didn't Sydney win a premiership under Roos with a "no dickheads" rule? Although, to your point, I think Barry Hall was in that team, and must have skated under the rule.

At least the Saints exported him, they often do export their dickheads

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

I missed the live game but watched it later, Cats absolutely bottled it and Tigers deserved the win. Martin was kicking ridiculous goals, dare I say inspirational. So they did have the team ticker vs the Cats when it counted. Also gently caress off little "master" they were all clapping with relief to see the back of you.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

You Am I posted:

No, he was a great player. There's no need to be like that ewe2

Being a great footballer is no excuse for being a terrible person. There are plenty of good footballers who manage to not be gobshites, and the bad ones deserve to be called out. Not calling them out is dishonest.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

And then they're letting McGuire implement the programme, what could go wrong.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

So yeah, gently caress Collingwood and all that, but gently caress Eddie McGuire harder.

Couldn't put it better, Eddie Everywhere has poisoned Collingwood and now he gets a year to whitewash his reputation although, being Eddie, he has no idea it's even necessary bar making sure there's pictures of him beaming from every wall and multiple things named after him. New recruits will no doubt be inducted into the Eddie McGuire Racial Harmony Program(tm).

Collingwood need to repudiate that guy publicly, as a club, and as supporters and vow that his brand of leadership is toxic.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

From my view without as much history and from far away, this is what it looks like. Especially with Eddie serving so much on TV (how?! Magic Johnson was off broadcasts or studio duty when in the back office with the Lakers, that’s the only comparison I can think of) it just magnifies the bad points so much.

Eddie is the kind of manager who takes the credit for other people's work, he doesn't actually do the work himself. He loves to order people around and have meetings and issue inspiring emails to the Team. That's how he became Eddie Everywhere, burning other people out, playing politics to take over other people's gigs.

thepokey posted:

The baffling thing is that Eddie has worked in media and journalism for a long time, you'd surely think someone like that should know how bad approaching spin that way was going to look ... which really says a lot about his ego overriding that.

He's that classic case of a narcissist always saying the quiet part out loud because he never pays attention to the audience when he's listening to the sound of how awesome he is. He's very skilled at fake apologies, and the real question is why people keep accepting them when he absolutely doesn't mean it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

God what a scumbag.

quote:

On Tuesday he said: “People have latched onto my opening line last week and as a result I have become a lightning rod for vitriol, but worse, have placed the club in a position where it is hard to move forward with the limitation of our plans with clear air”.

"It was other people who took my words badly". gently caress off you bastard.

And yet it still took outsiders with an open letter to force you to step down because the club still couldn't do it themselves. That's not a good sign for the future really, your mates are still running the show. Was it just your idea to get the black women to front the media for you or was it a group decision? It makes little difference if the loudest dog in the pack is gone, if the pack is still hunting. And it doesn't stop Eddie from giving "helpful advice" from the sidelines.

The club itself still has to repudiate him and while I'm happy he's not going to have a free year in which to do god knows what to the club, its a long long way from changing the club's culture. And meanwhile every other club has to look to its own house and clean up.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

Yes.

Also the report was tabled 3 months ago (a few days before Eddie announced this would be his last season as President), and Collingwood sat on it. The only reason we're here now is that someone got tired of Collingwood stalling and leaked the entire thing to the media.

There's an old PR saying: "own the controversy". Trouble is, you're supposed to do this proactively, not as a damage-control last-ditch effort once the cat is out of the bag.

You're supposed to do it a bit like the feedback sandwich, you open with something like "excellent report by respected authority", move into "found serious issues that require a systematic culture change in the club" and finish with "here's what we'll do about it a b c" and preferably have actually implemented something like the stuff you're blabbing about to show your sincerity. But not good old Eddie, he's smarter than that. Why do anything at all, just make some questionable intersectional media management choices for a week and then ok I'll do some kind of press conference and talk poo poo for an hour, maybe that'll do.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

Speaking of damage control, welcome to 5 days of stage 4 lockdown. We're in another new phase of covid.

The thing about this is there were 2 "damage control" press conferences. The first after the report came out, and the second one the very next day to do damage control for the trainwreck that was the first one.

In neither of these press conferences did Eddie, or the club actually address the findings of the report, nor say what they were going to do about it.

That's what you get for paying people to be their own media managers.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

2021: The Year of St Kilda On The Desktop

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

trying to not get too excited in the pre-season, but look at that scoreboard for the Saints

That was a good contest, though. Young Silvagni is a chip off the old block. Loved that shot of mum elbowing dad "hey clap for the young feller you bastard, he's doing well", dad looking too tense to enjoy it at all.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

Breathtaking bullshit from Kane Cornes in The Round So Far:

"nothing malicious in what Dangerfield did" gently caress off Cornes you gelatinous ejectamenta, what do you think Dangerfield was doing it for, saying hello? 1000 years dungeon!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

Weird Sandwich posted:

Kane Cornes is just chasing the outrage clicks, he regularly says dumb stuff like this.

The Daniher thing I interpreted as just that, but cheering on the poo poo Dangerfield does isn't defensible even as clickbait.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

"The bump is officially DEAD" ESPN screams as Dangerfield gets a well-deserved 3-game suspension.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

I nearly forgot to put my tips in this week and did it at work with minutes to spare and now I wish I hadn't

e: Actually forgetting and getting away tips would have been even worse rip my tipping

At least you have a reason, I had ample time and no excuses for my completely lovely tipping this round. Typically backing Saints when they lose, not backing Adelaide on their home ground and not backing Eagles vs Freo, and, of course, galaxy brain thinking the Giants could overcome the Dees.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

They keep doing this to me, every time I bet against them they bloody win, its infuriating lol

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

Nothing I could disagree with, I think it's a case of that midfield not having a team connection that gets them through if they lose any leadership. The question is, why did they require that leadership to function in the first place? For a club that's always had a strong midfield culture that's very disquieting. It's not Rattens direct responsibility but someone isn't coaching the midfield right, they shouldn't be rudderless like that. Gay picnic defence put it perfectly, they were witches hats.

Also I gave up on Big Footy when I saw what the Saints fans were like there, I've no desire to revisit that tribe ugh.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

the forums downtime meant less time yelling about the Saints getting pumped on here

Just pathetic really, what more can you say that we've already said. They're just not into it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

I knew Saints would lose. I just want to know why the gently caress ESPN thinks I want to see the NRL ladder on the desktop site. Now I have to use the mobile app arughelghj.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

lmao the evil row for this might have been missed earlier

Saints

I did notice it but because all the rows weren't all evil I didn't think it was representative enough

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

Seems they offered to put Adam Goodes in for the AFL Hall of Fame and he knocked them back. I can't blame him. Apparently he can't even take his cousins kids to games because he hates going there now. Great job Australia.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

cmndstab posted:

St Kilda are now the only team to have won their past three matches.

I just cannot tip my team right this year, its fkn uncanny how they are winning matches against the grain.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

Periphery posted:

Looks like the discussions they had after the Dogs loss have actually worked apart from a little bit of inconsistency. Since then we've kept every opposition but 1 to under 70 points, won 4/6 and should have won the Crow game and could have won the swans game.

Yeah that's what has been wrong-footing me, we've been getting close there but not quite and that's been leading me to betting on their oppositions form. I just expected the Lions to do better away at their place on the ladder, and it was a good bet, but I didn't count on the Saints to wrong-foot me again

gay picnic defence posted:

just tip based on whether Ryder plays

Okay I'll take that on advisement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lipstick Apathy

1. I don't know how I tipped 7/9 with that debacle of a round. and 2. we really need to look at the crowds again because one footy match got Delta from one end of the state to the other.