Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
One day, one glorious day Sam Newman will be trending for the right reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

First time an Essendon player has tested positive for something :colbert:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

So he tested positive on Friday (yesterday) but had served his mandatory isolation after coming back from Ireland where he would have no doubt been tested at that time too. So would have to assume he contracted it since returning to Australia? Or if he did contract it overseas (or on the plane/in transit) then incubation can be a lot longer than mandatory isolation when coming back from overseas allows for which is more worrying.

If he tested negative when he returned and positive now, weeks after coming out of isolation, and he had it when he returned to Australia ... then doesn't matter whether the rest of the team tested negatively this morning when they were tested - 6 weeks from now they could all be positive. So ugh, just call off footy in 2020 ... everyone could see this coming a mile away.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I imagine that plan basically amounted to "we dont think it'll happen so it'll be just fine"

So apparently McKenna was tested 5 times since returning from overseas, the most recent (before testing positive) was on Wednesday which was also a negative result, hence that he looked like he was in the clear.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

If he has actually breached protocols then he needs a lengthy stint on the sidelines for putting so many people at risk

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

This Matt Rowell is good at the football game

Also, I don’t really ever recall Adelaide being this bad...ever? It’s kind of nice

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

+ forfeit the game, why should Melbourne have to have back to back 4 day breaks in the future because essendon are allergic to rules

As it’s 1 person breaking protocol, not a whole club. I know Melbourne are desperate for 4 points any way they can get them but this isn’t the way

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

realbez posted:

I don’t see why the club shouldn’t be punished for this player’s gently caress up. If the club has to forfeit the game maybe this poo poo won’t happen again.

Because the club can't control the player 24/7? They're an autonomous person who makes their own choices. He made a poo poo choice (assuming that's how he contracted it) and he should be punished, not the club.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Is that normal for Covid? They reconfirmed that the tests on the weekend are definitely positive, but now its negative. Didn't realise it was capable of working like that.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I mean, yeah, I just wasn't aware it could happen within like 3 days

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

True, but he also tested negative for it 2 days before he tested positive? So he only had it for a maximum of 4 days? Not saying I don't believe that, just wasn't aware Covid worked that way

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

The suggestion is that the positive test was a false positive caused by a faulty or contaminated test

I thought they said the reconfirmed that the positive test actually was positive?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Signed up to the discord, will check out that website too...what an absolute shame. But hosed if I’ll support anything a domestic violence abuser is running.

Though we disagree a lot this is easily my favourite place to discuss and read about footy so the thought of it continuing elsewhere sounds good to me, you’re a good bunch

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Footy is poo poo again.

But we should have lost by a lot more tonight so, can’t really be too down on that.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Not often I'd say this but I'm actually glad we lost tonight. Firstly for how bad we played we didn't deserve to be that close and to let us feel like that is an acceptable standard to play and win games isn't good for us.
But also because to win off the back of that would have been insane, what the hell was that ump thinking??

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Memento posted:

This week I will be blaming the Demon's performance on the long layoff, thereby neatly making it Essendon's fault.

We lost to Carlton, that's punishment enough

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Hard to argue with Clarko. Its definitely not the only thing thats making it this way but certainly a contributor. And the solution Clarko offers with umpires basically getting better isn't something dumb and game breaking in its own right.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

This makes me feel very good about losing to Carlton last week :)

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Need to play the ANZAC Day game in July each year now. Seriously if this Essendon or even Collingwood played Carlton last week they’d smash them so who the gently caress knows anymore.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

harperdc posted:

it's what I was calling for from the first return game a couple weeks ago, glad they've finally caught up.

Fourth of July game?

Should have been the 2nd of July game to match the number of disposals Cox had

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

In before we give Adelaide their first win

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

cmndstab posted:

You haven't watched the Crows play this season, have you?

We are exactly the team that a poo poo team like the crows will beat though, our record against bottom-tier teams is pretty dire

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

What with the WCE dude at the end coming in the try flatten the Freo dude for no reason?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I find it funny that a lot of Adelaide fans are this much doom and gloom. Not to say they aren’t deplorable right now - of course they are. But this so far is really Adelaides first *really* bad year. They’ve never really truly bottomed out before. Plenty of other clubs have been through long lovely slogs at the bottom for various reasons. I’m sure Adelaide will sort their poo poo out whether it’s in a year or two or three and bounce back.

That being said, I honestly reckon there’s a better than good chance they beat us this weekend. We are just the sort of team that will let Adelaide get their first win of the season.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

It's Adelaide, of course they're miserable. Aside from the footy what else do the poor fuckers have to do? Go to church?

I think Adelaide people are befuddled by why we are upset that everything is closed in Melbourne, that's just everyday life is in Adelaide.

I can understand Adelaide fans being unhappy at the moment, but talking of "may as well close the club down" and such is a bit dramatic. Essendon went through the supplement saga and haven't won a final since Federation. Carlton and Melbourne both had deplorable runs at the bottom. Port was the absolute laughing stock for years etc. Adelaide were in a GF 3 years ago. I know its all been downhill since but, y'know, it's your turn now.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 21, 2020

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

On the flip side, he sunk Richmond tonight so, y'know even the bad ones are capable of some good acts

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Port are like the SA Essendon. Heroes against brainless opponents but fold against anyone who is up for it

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The best bit about the Membrey goal is you can hear a Port supporter screaming at the ump at the top of his lungs "you are breaking this game!"

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I’m surprised we beat Adelaide but gaining 0% against the bottom team is deplorable. Brisbane will put us to the sword next week

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

gently caress this umpiring. What the gently caress was that free kick against McGrath? It’s been shocking all night but that was just a loving howler.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the attitude was "this season is a write-off anyways, just do whatever you want umpiring-wise and we'll see what happens"

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Forum Joe posted:

Oh look, it’s a meaningless SS comment. You would be great on the Ch7 commentary team.

God and they were in some extra tripe form tonight too. An amazing bit of analysis was:

Bruce: What's your thoughts on that tackle count? 13-2, and the bombers are the best tackling team in the comp aye?

BT: Yeah 13-2

Carey: Surprising as the Bombers are the best tackling team in the comp

Just scintillating stuff.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

It was never proven the saints did anything wrong, they just most likely did, so you got to give them a pass. Unlike Essendon who most likely did but you gotta run them into the ground forever.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Oh yeah, thats a silly comment. You can't relate hitting a players hand with a previous club rape culture. But that wasn't what I was replying to as it veered off into "dont say bad things about the saints!" territory.

boy undead posted:

so i guess in 5 years when some unrelated essendon player who wasn't at the club at the time does something stupid yet completely unrelated on a football field I'll get to suggest the club still has "drug cheaty ways"

But honestly we don't have to wait 5 years, people do it now.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Don’t think GWS are that poo poo, they just aren’t up for it tonight (so far). The only way we win is when the opposition just aren’t up for it. If they decide they want to win they’ll walk over us in the second half.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Ok that was good from Bruce. “If you told me that then I’d have locked you up, and taken pleasure in doing it” to Carey.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

What did he respond to with that comment?

He just laughed

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

No I mean what did Carey say to get Bruce to say that

Think it something along the lines of meaning if Carey had said a few years ago that GWS wouldn't have won a flag by 2020 Bruce would lock him up. I think the lock him up was meaning in the insane asylum type way, but I still dig the double meaning.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Also, yeah that decision at the end that cost us a goal was a shocker. Ward absolutely played up to it. But I can't even be mad about it because we gave up a 30 point lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The social media reaction to the Richmond stuff is pretty crazy. There's a big group of "nothing to see here, just reporting on nonsense its no big deal, geez theres no such thing as rape culture!!" which is met with the homophobic group of "oh so you reckon its fine then huh? Suppose you like other guy's grabbing your cock? bit of bum stuff huh? bet you'd love that!!" Its like, two completely lovely takes that are also at odds with each other for the complete wrong reasons.