Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

Is Erin Phillips back from destroying her leg again? Otherwise there's nothing for Crows fans to care about this year.

She's back training, yes. Whether she will be back in time for round 1 remains to be seen (reasonable chance) but she is expected to play AFLW this season. Chloe Scheer is a reasonable chance to play as well but round 1 is less likely. Not sure on Rhiannon Metcalfe.

Unfortunately, Chelsea Randall and Hannah Button (formerly Hannah Martin, she got married in the offseason) will be unavailable to play with their own ACL injuries. Deni Varnhagen seemed to do a knee on the weekend, not sure how serious it is yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Good that Varnhagen has avoided an ACL injury at least!

Presumably each of Phillips, Scheer, Metcalfe and Varnhagen will become available again at some point during the AFLW season, so at least there's that.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

For the Crows AFLW team, Sophie Li has failed the concussion test, and Courtney Cramey is out with groin soreness, so the Crows are now almost entirely out of players, with only 22 fit players on the list.

Ironically, the one player to miss out is our first round pick from last year, Montana McKinnon. McKinnon only misses out because she's a ruck and our lead ruck in Jess Foley is playing. Every other one of our recruits from last year is scheduled to debut. The Crows have promoted two ladies from the state league to be the other two emergencies, namely Czenya Cavouras, and Rachelle Martin who is the younger sister of premiership player Hannah Button (nee Martin) from last year. That's six debutants (Najwa Allen, Chelsea Biddell, Nicole Campbell, Madison Newman, Jaimie Tabb and Caitlyn Gould) as well as Courtney Gum playing her first game at the Crows, or a third of the side pulling on the Crows guernsey for the first time.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 7, 2020

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Scratch that, apparently the Crows have only 21 fit players with McKinnon having knee soreness too. So yes, we are literally fielding every fit player on the list.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Geez, that turned into a bit of a blowout at the end. Only saw the first half where Carlton were dominating but not putting it on the scoreboard.

Richmond were expected to be the best of the expansion sides, right?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

This Gold Coast vs GWS game is pretty nuts. Pouring with rain, score was 9 v 8 (GWS's way) at three quarter time, and with only four minutes left to go in the final quarter it's still 9 v 8. Just a non-stop, mad scramble for the ball.

And GWS end up winning it 9 v 8! Don't think I've ever seen a scoreless quarter before from both sides, hah.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 8, 2020

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Also, shorter kicks in general, due in part to a slightly smaller ball (I think?) So it takes more disposals to get into scoring position.

Also, lower quality ovals which are more dramatically affected by poor weather.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Rajcic putting in a real deer in the headlights performance today

She was fumbly in ways she hasn't been in the past, yeah.

I thought Rachelle Martin really showed something, considering she only got a game because we literally can't field a side. It's a shame we won't be able to select her anymore if our injury list improves (which, surely it has to right?) but I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up getting drafted on that performance. She was about the only player in our side who was clean below her knees.

Crows had a real lack of composure in the game. I guess losing all of those experienced players hurts pretty badly.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Its amazing that we are into year 4 and the brains trust coke addicts at AFLHQ havent fixed the fact that 50m is a ridiculous penalty in AFLW

Yes, seriously. It's infuriating when it takes the player from the 50m arc to the goal square, when you know it would have taken two disposals at least to get there in general play. 30m feels about right.

Also, I know I harp on this every year, but I loving hate the lasso rule, or whatever they're calling it now. It's a ridiculous penalty, especially in scrappy wet games like today, to have a free kick paid against you because you tried to make the play, and the ball ended up eluding your target and skidding out of bounds. Or someone going into the contest, emerging with a little handball or something, and having it dribble over the line for a free kick. Great reward for getting the ball out! And we also had the old classic situation today of players who could get the ball, choosing not to do so and instead shepherding their opponents off the ball so it could go out of bounds. It's an absolute shocker.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 8, 2020

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

As a spectator, I quite like the 15 minute quarters. It's a really comfortable length to go and watch a game for.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snaeksikn posted:

Only 2 teams in conference A won their first game, compared to 5 teams in conference B.

Kangaroos are in the top 3 for conference A despite losing and Dees are 5th in conference B despite winning.

Now where have I heard this before?

At least this time there are three teams from each conference going through to the finals.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

at the guy complaining that men don't do synchronised swimming, netball or beauty pageants.

Mind you, I honestly can't work out whether that comment was parody or not given that it ended with this:

quote:

Some Russian friends of mine saw some videos of the AFLW and thought the players looked terrible and the game was shocking to watch and when a bunch of hairy armpit Russian sheilas think the game is undignified of woman you know its not a good international look.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Better to win ugly than not at all I guess!

Didnt get to go to the game because my second daughter was born earlier this week So trying to spend lots of time with my first so she doesn't feel left out.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Sleeping is my hobby at the moment but I don't get to do much of it

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Thanks guys Yes, doing my best to help daughter #1 feel like she's a part of things. She's become very clingy at bedtime now, trying to navigate my way through that without having to spend the entire night in the room with her.

NTRabbit posted:

I was given the job of making sure all my friends kids support the correct sports teams, after the oldest one, a 10 year old living in Canberra under the guidance of only his father, turned out to be a Richmond supporter because he liked the song. And he's also a Golden State Warriors fan.

Some friends of mine who are Port supporters used to try to get their son to sleep by singing all the AFL club songs. To help them remember which ones they'd done, they would go in alphabetical order. So of course, Adelaide was first, which meant that's the song he heard the most, and I guess in his mind the "start" of the "sing every AFL club song" song. So when he became a toddler, he would start singing the Crows song every day. Drove them nuts, haha.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Wouldn't be surprised if they got their wish with their AFLW team. They're looking pretty bloody good again this year, and now that six teams make it through to the finals they're less likely to lose their spot to a weaker team this time.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Freo vs Collingwood was a pretty good game too.

I caught the first half of the Crows vs Melbourne AFLM trial match, which was pretty scrappy. Didn't get to see much of the second half but it looks like Adelaide got blown away a bit.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

The umpiring in that Geelong vs Crows AFLW match today was a deadset disgrace. When is the AFL going to wake up and start paying umpires a decent loving wage and then holding them to a reasonable standard?

Those two bizarre decisions aside, the match was littered with ridiculous HTB calls with absolutely no prior opportunity, or my other favourite, the one where someone tackles a player, causing the ball to get knocked out, and so the tackler is immediately pinged for holding. There were also two absolutely terrible high contact free kicks right in front of goal.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

I only saw the first half where the All Stars seemed to be mostly in control and it was only inaccuracy that prevented them from having a dominant lead.

Then I checked the final score and What happened?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Geelong vs Richmond in the AFLW at the moment, both teams winless so far.

Midway through the third quarter and Geelong are up 60-25 Why are Richmond so bad, I thought they were slated to be the dominant expansion side?

Highest ever score in an AFLW match is 86 points (Bulldogs vs Carlton 2018), could be in jeopardy here!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

West Coast with their first win, and they're absolutely over the moon about it. Half of them are in tears! Quite moving to watch, actually.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure the Lutkins 12 marks and Duffin 11 marks were both against Adelaide as well.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Hooray Perkins Really hope she has a blinder and puts her name back in the equation for being drafted this year.

The Crows used Rachelle Martin in a similar role in round 1, when we had only 20 fit players on the list, and honestly she played a drat good game, was one of our best on the day. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets drafted on that performance alone. She hasn't been eligible to play since because players returns from injury.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

but you repeat yourself etc etc

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Wait, why are they doing a top 4?

Surely when you do a shortened season, you don't make the finals into a larger comp than it was before?

This is because Collingwood was 4th in their comp, isn't it?

yes im just bummed because the crows are 5th in theirs

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Oh hey that's right the men's footy has started well I've only missed a few minutes so it should still be close... oh.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Melbourne has lost another two players with both irish recruits heading home.

So we are potentially down to 21 players available for selection for our first final

Is Perkins still playing? If so go Melbourne.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Surely Carlton are getting sick of it too. Since they started opening every seeing with a Thursday Carlton vs Richmond match in 2015, Carlton have lost every single one of them by an average of 5 or so goals.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Lock Adelaide in for a bottom 4 finish if the season runs to completion

Yeah, we knew this going in though. If anything, it's ominous signs for Sydney that we got so close.

Also, Freo vs Suns AFLW scoreline 80 - 10 is a fair smashing! Shades of Adelaide vs Geelong in last year's prelim (73-7 from memory).

Also, go the demons in the AFLW finals Genuinely feel bad for how unfortunate they've been missing the finals the first three seasons, so hoping they can go all the way this year. And hopefully get Sarah Perkins another premiership Which would make her the only player in the comp to be involved in three premiership campaigns!

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 21, 2020

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Having the AFLW season just end like that feels like the biggest anticlimax I understand the reasons for doing it and even approve of the decision, but drat, that sucks.

Feel the most for Melbourne. This year I thought, at least there's no new way for them to get screwed out of a finals series. Oh well!

On the plus side, the Crows remain the reigning premiers

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

harperdc posted:

I get the feeling they won’t be the last one that just has to finish, or cut things off short.

Agreed, but most other sports won't be literally a handful of matches from finishing the season.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Hahaha, perfect

Seriously, what is it with some people that forces them to adopt a smug "why are you all getting so worked up " posture about this stuff? Like somehow all the medical and epidemiology experts just aren't as logical and sensible as Kane loving Cornes when it comes to a global pandemic.

Presumably he's never even stopped to think that his voice has weight (somehow) and that him minimising the virus could literally lead to additional deaths.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Who is he blaming for the great injustice that he cannot enjoy a leisure pursuit favoured by the filthy idle rich? Blacks? Women? Gay folk? I can't imagine who elses fault it could be.

I mean, I have no idea because I'm not going to listen to a word he says, but 99% chance he's blaming the state labor government.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

Puppies thing might have been a rumour, we can only hope.

Either way, the Crows are joining in on the fun, although they waited until after 5pm on a Friday for the press release.

Stengle Finally got a chance and looked alright, then he goes and does that. Idiot.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Yeah, she's a gun. Pretty much hit the ground running from her first match and never looked back.

Nice to see Hatchard get so high on the leaderboard One of very few Crows who can hold their head high this season.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

I agree with every line of Bob's tweet.

Am I a monster too?

Well, except about Snickers being king. It's good, but there are better chocolate bars.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

I remember for a brief period they released a Strawberry Ripe which was actually pretty good, so of course they immediately got rid of it.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

The Deadly Hume posted:

I liked Violet Crumbles better than Crunchies,

You monster!

Lol at Laidley. Pretty sure I remember this thread voting him the coach most likely to have bodies buried underneath his basement in years past.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

I generally find arguments about whether there is a Vic bias and what impact is has to be pretty insufferable, so let's try to drill this down to the simple facts.

There is obviously a Victorian bias in the AFL. When you have more than half your teams and the main base of operations based in one state, that's pretty much inevitable. The bias is present both in the way the game is covered by the media, and the organisation itself.

Clubs that have to travel more often and further than others are at a clear disadvantage in terms of preparation, recovery and fatigue.

The primary advantage that non-Victorian clubs have is the "true" home games, which is clearly an enormous advantage, and one which is enjoyed far less often by Victorian teams. This generally has the effect of making strong non-Victorian teams appear even stronger in terms of their ladder position.

By the end of the season, the strongest teams on the ladder are likely to be the strongest teams from throughout the season. Injury and fatigue issues aside, I'm perfectly happy to accept that the minor round is a reasonably fair ranking of the teams, particularly at the top and bottom of the ladder. Middle of the ladder, not so much, but those teams rarely go through to a Grand Final.

Then, when we get to the Grand Final, the only match that actually counts, and if a non-Victorian team plays a Victorian team, they are at an immediate and sizable disadvantage. And you can quite reasonably imagine a scenario where a stronger team loses to the weaker team because of that disadvantage. (No, I'm not saying the Crows were better than Richmond in 2017, they obviously weren't and the years since then have made that obvious). After a minor round where the various imbalances kind of even up in the end, this is clearly unfair to half of the teams in the league.

Arguments that we need a stadium that can hold 80000+ people for the GF are disingenuous. The AFL would not go bankrupt without their Grand Final payday. Pretty much every team in the AFL has a home ground that can hold 40000+ people. That's plenty. Keep out the corporate seats, and let the fans attend.

Obviously in an ideal world, the GF would be in a completely neutral venue, but that's logistically impossible. Then, if any team is going to have an advantage, it should be the team that performed higher during the year.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

I only briefly skimmed over the article regarding Adelaide's training when I saw it earlier, but my understanding was that there is nothing wrong with their training setup. They're at an isolated venue and each player trains with one partner and otherwise socially isolates.

It was one particular drill which was done wrong, or something? Not sure, like I say, I only skimmed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

Yeah footy doesn't actually matter TBH. (Also the Crows suck right now so whatevs.)

Yeah, it's amazing how much less I care about our annual off-season debacles when I have absolutely no expectations of them winning a premiership any time soon