Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Whatcha gonna do richmond, when Hulkamania runs wild on you

:vince:

Win the match in a thriller, apparently!

Solemn Sloth posted:

I like the idea of AFLW not getting drowned out by the men’s comp, but I’m really not sure about having semi-professionals playing a game of footy in 40-45 degree heat which we are guaranteed to have come up if the season goes December-March

That is happening already though. February is pretty much the hottest month of the year and there is almost always a massive heatwave around March in Adelaide at least. That being said, I can see an argument that doing it for four months straight is tougher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
NTRabbit's claim is that the ball last came off Sparrow's hand, so it couldn't be deliberate. Not sure I agree with that interpretation but that's what that GIF is trying to show. I guess a super generous reading of the clip could be that Murray was trying to handball it in front of Doedee, and Sparrow's hand was what knocked it off-line and out of bounds. Personally I doubt the umpire had any of that in mind - he just decided it was a line ball call so he let it go.

Also that game, a whole heap of poor umpiring decisions aside, was seriously fun to watch. Classic shootout from two teams not scared to take the game on and never got more than a few goals apart. Makes a change from the usual Melbourne-Crows annual shitfest the two teams seem to slop up against each other every year.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 22, 2021

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Periphery posted:

To be fair the only reasonable thing to do in this situation is to burn the club to the ground and erase all mention of it's existence from society and history.

And also the Bigfooty Saints subforum while we're at it.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Crows women's superstar Chloe Scheer has requested to go to Geelong :smith: She was one of my favourite players. Not sure if it's because they were able to offer her more money, or if she was unhappy at the Crows. I'll miss her! Super talented up forward or in the midfield.

And of course, one of the flip sides to the Crows having sole access to the SA talent is that any draft picks we receive have essentially no value.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I run a local racquetball competition here in SA and for the teams that don't make the finals, we have a bottom-half of the ladder finals series where teams compete to win the coveted "horse's rear end trophy" which is literally a trophy with the back 50% or so of a horse on top of it.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Hasn't it been pretty much confirmed that catching Covid from infected surfaces is very rare anyway? The bigger issue would be sitting in the front row as a sweaty, heavy-breathing player approaches you, surely?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Adelaide fans over on Bigfooty are angrily pointing out (probably rightly) that there are countless photos of other club's players not wearing their masks on flights, in airport terminals etc. That and a bunch of "what's the big deal anyway" and "masks don't even work" people.

As far as I'm concerned fine every player not wearing their mask properly just to send a message to the rest of the league. I'm sick to death of Covid minimisers acting like it's not a big deal just because we haven't (yet) had a massive outbreak in Australia.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Has it happened in the men's before? I remember it happened to the Crows women's team once last year, and they were able to name a state league player (Rachelle Martin) who ended up getting drafted out of it. Pretty handy player, too.

I remember at one point around a decade ago the Crows literally naming an injured player in their emergencies because they only had 24 fit players, but at least they were able to name a best 22.

i also remember the crows naming an injured player as their sub this year but im desperately trying to forget

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
That was the most ludicrous game I've ever seen.

Two very bad teams but hey, good to see some heart from the Crows at least.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Fascinating situation going on at the moment with David Mackay being sent to the tribunal, initially with no charge at all. After loads of media backlash the AFL has now retroactively added some kind of generic rough conduct charge. He collided with Clark in the match against St Kilda and Clark ended up with a broken jaw.

The general consensus seems to be that it was a pure footy collision, two guys with their eyes on the ball, and that Mackay was trying to gather the ball, and just turned his body to protect himself when contact became inevitable. I'm not sure I buy that... I think Mackay was absolutely intending to hurt Clark, but hey, judge for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pahVIxFM6q0

The AFL has effectively signposted the case as a line in the sand. If they accept that Mackay was playing the ball and wasn't intending to bump (although obviously he didn't try to avoid it either), then they will have to decide whether a player can still be suspended for an unintentional bump that leads to an injury. Clearly this opens a massive can of worms as this kind of thing happens all the time, albeit not usually with such force. And then, if they do find him guilty, what is the penalty? Clearly if this was an intentional bump, it would be graded very harshly, high contact and severe impact.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 14, 2021

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Ross said the twins were around five weeks old, right?

That is absolute peak time for post-natal depression and with twins as well, it's a nightmare. Babies often stop sleeping well around a month in and will go through periods where they're waking you up every thirty minutes or so with crying, and every couple of hours to feed. There was a point around 5 weeks in with both my daughters where my wife and I were sleeping in separate rooms just so one of us would get some sleep (we bottle fed thankfully, so I could do the feeds), alternating who got to sleep from one night to the next. I can't imagine doing it with two babies at once. If she's feeding at the breast, she needs to be up multiple times a night to feed. And even if she's expressing, she still needs to get up at least once a night to pump. Having your partner there to help out, or even just to offer emotional support, is just massive. It's immeasurable.

And they've got another kid too, I'm assuming around toddler age. That just adds an extra complication. Our eldest daughter got woken up a few times by the baby crying, and then wouldn't go back to sleep again. It was enough to bring you to tears.

It sounds like Ross planned to fly in and fly out and just got caught out with the Covid restrictions. Bad luck, but family absolutely needs to come first here and three kids of that age are impossible to manage on your own, even without trying to deal with recovering from having recently given birth to twins.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The idea that “other family is around” is bullshit, we have no idea (and shouldn’t have any idea) on their relationship to family and whether they’re able to get support. Even if they are it’s not remotely the same as having your co-parent there

Agreed, having other family around isn't going to do much when you have two babies screaming for yet another feed at 2AM and you just need some loving sleep.

We got so much support from all four grandparents, and still do, and I was able to completely reorganise my work schedule around me doing all the night time feeds and then sleeping in until the afternoon, and yet my wife still suffered terribly from post-natal depression. I dread the thought that she would be expected to shoulder the burden without me there. Even with my youngest now sixteen months old, I still feel guilty when I head out to play sport one night a week and leave my wife on her own with the girls for a few hours.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 16, 2021

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
And, putting all that aside, honestly, if those two players are the difference between them scraping a win against the Crows or not, they're going nowhere this year anyway.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Some pretty close games today. Freo by 12, North by 9, Port by 10, Melbourne by 11.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snaeksikn posted:

Oh sure, give the Dees poo poo for passing on Wines again

That 2012 draft was a bit cursed. Less than a decade ago, and yet only six players from the entire first round (which included 23 picks because lol GWS) are even still at the club that picked them. Whitfield (1), McCrae (6), Wines (7), Vlastuin (9), Garner (15), and Grundy (18).

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
That has to be one of the least entertaining matches I've ever watched. By the third quarter I just had it on in the background and didn't even bother to watch the last quarter.

Dreadful spectacle.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
St Kilda are now the only team to have won their past three matches.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snaeksikn posted:

Reminder that the Crows got rid of Lyons because they thought Gibbs would be a better fit to get them over the line for a premiership

I mean, they definitely weren't going to play Lyons considering they barely ever game him a game even before Gibbs got there. I'll never understand why they wouldn't play him. Whenever he did get a good run of games he was quality, and during the sub era he played as a sub more often than not.

Hugh Greenwood is the other one where I'll never understand what happened. He was our best performing mid at one point, and then suddenly fell out of favour for seemingly no reason, got dropped, and then got traded for a packet of chips. Seriously, we got essentially nothing for him. In essence, we bundled him up with Josh Jenkins to get pick 37 (Ronin O'Connor).

We have enough quality players wanting to leave without kicking the remaining good ones out the door.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 16, 2021

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Fans of various underperforming clubs are, of course, lining up to float rumours (or just hopes) of Clarkson coming to them.

What are our thoughts on Clarkson as a coach going forward, though? Obviously he's earned his status as one of the great coaches with four premierships, but his last one was 2015 and outside of a brief resurgence in 2017, Hawthorn have been on a steady downward trend since then. Is it possible he's over the hill?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Resets the “days since last scandal” sign at West Lakes to 0

Jesus Christ, what did we do this time?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Taylor Walker allegedly used a racial slur when talking about an opponent in the team huddle of an SANFL game, leading to several players and officials from his own team reporting it.

:doh:

Let the investigation play out I guess but if it's true, make an example out of him. No place for that whatsoever.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Disappointing to lose the Showdown but it was a pretty drat entertaining game. The Crows kept their noses in front on sheer grit and willpower for 3.5 quarters before Port's class finally ran over the top of them.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Speaking of fun Facebook groups, Useless AFL Stats is good for a laugh and sometimes very clever. Also updated daily.

https://www.facebook.com/uselessaflstats/

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also they’re South Africans so it wouldn’t even be a crime

Um?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Geez, that is pretty stunning. The West Coast one in particular :stare:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
What a superstar Eddie Betts has been. He was only at the Crows for six years but he became just about every Crows fan's favourite player in that time.

What a privilege it was to be able to attend some Adelaide Oval matches and reliably see him working his genius in that pocket. It's awesome to know he's just as good a human being, too.

I'll miss him.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

BrigadierSensible posted:

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/1002657/club-statement?fbclid=IwAR2ViapIEiwBTq0YW1kckgk-IpIEo6oWqbJY9xV1Y5IITyekkaCdt67oNWI

Looks like an ex North Melbourne player did a racism, and the club are pre-emptively getting out in front of it and have released a statement.

I mean the guy was on their list for only 2 years, and never played a senior game. So you could argue that it is no real skin off their noses to punish/criticize him. You might argue that it would have been different if the player had been more senior/famous. You can most definitely argue that it would have come out eventually, and this is just North Melbourne doing PR by publicly and performatively being the "good guys' before they are forced to once it gets reported on by an outside party.

You can argue all of these things but even so, it's still a lovely thing for someone to be a racist on twitter, and it's at least a small good thing that a club can condemn said racism without having to be forced to by a "do better" report.

Good on them. Also, lol at the "we're not naming the player but we're giving easily enough breadcrumbs for you to track down who it is".

I mean, rookie listed in 2012 but didn't play a game and was delisted in 2014? That's pretty drat specific, considering North Melbourne only had three rookie picks in 2012 and two of them played games.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Got a goal each though which was nice, and Gollant looks like he could be the clever, athletic, aerialist third forward we've been missing since McGovern went on a KFC run and was never seen again.

Gollant looked a slight bit overawed in the first half but seemed to get into it in the second half and looked likely. It's nice we've been able to find an opportunity to get games into him and Cook at the tail end of the season.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
loving Toby Greene. Imagine having the gall to actually plead not guilty to that.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Hell of a match! Brisbane would be filthy that they couldn't quite get scores from those hacked kicks.

Port would have to fall over to lose to the Bulldogs next week though.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Melbourne look drat good.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Well you see as we all know, Melbourne's fortunes depend entirely on Stephen May because he's their only good player, as opposed to the other 21 scrubs they've got running around.

I mean what the hell is a Gawn anyway. Petracca who?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Assuming this match continues as it appears to be going, I can't remember the last time both grand finallists will have looked so utterly dominant in the prelim.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snaeksikn posted:

Ticket booked :toot:

Ideal situation for you, isn't it? Fingers crossed everything goes well over the next fortnight and it can go ahead as planned.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Missed the first half but watched that quarter, wow. Two drat good teams! But Melbourne just have class everywhere.

Hard to see Melbourne losing from here.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Congrats Melbourne fans on here. Long time coming!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I was home sick today, and out of sheer boredom turned on Trade Radio.

Pretty sure it was Adam Cooney who was trying to say that Stevic came into Greene aggressively and swung his arms out, and if Greene goes for six weeks then Stevic should be suspended too. He seemed quite upset that Greene's suspension had been lengthened!

I don't think he was joking? I turned it off pretty much immediately.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
No, but you see, punishments are only supposed to stick for those who had less-than-excellent upbringing.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Varnhagen :doh: At least it's not one of our better players, I guess.

I guess in a squad of 30 players you're going to have one dope. Also, what is it with nurses and being anti-vaxx? My wife used to be a nurse and reckons she had dozens of colleagues who refused to get vaccinated for pretty much anything. This was years before Covid, too, back when they were carrying on about autism instead of Bill Gates and 5G nanobots. I imagine it's only gotten worse.

Hopefully this will force the AFL's hand and they will get a drat Covid mandate in place. The likes of Varnhagen are free to do something else if they don't like it.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Apparently in SA all medical staff must have had their first vaccine dose by the start of November, so hopefully this will come to a head soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Brilliant.