Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SatansOnion posted:

In the spirit of gracious defeat characteristic of its namesake, John Kerry, I’d like to congratulate the winning team of this Rumble on behalf of the rest of team #14 and join everyone in saying “thank gently caress at least it wasn’t fuckin’ Roman again”

In the spirit of Hillary Clinton I am gonna go stand next to Bill Clinton and just death stare at him while he does his best to ignore me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatansOnion posted:

In the spirit of gracious defeat characteristic of its namesake, John Kerry, I’d like to congratulate the winning team of this Rumble on behalf of the rest of team #14 and join everyone in saying “thank gently caress at least it wasn’t fuckin’ Roman again”

Show Roman some respect, he has been the last guy to be eliminated, thus propelling the winner to great heights, WAY more often than he's won the Rumble.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

shoulda gave it to kieth who is not boring

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They’ll plan on Drew winning until like 4 days before Mania when Brock holds something over Vince and gets to win in like 4 minutes.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Blaise330 posted:

Who's going to come in 2nd place every year then?

In fairness he was 3rd in 2016 and absent from last year.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I'm upset for my dude, Roman

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I enjoyed the Rumble but I also don't really follow WWE much anymore.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

"he's the chosen one" vince thought as he admonished a pastor for going too long during a funeral ceremony

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

sportsgenius86 posted:

They’ll plan on Drew winning until like 4 days before Mania when Brock holds something over Vince and gets to win in like 4 minutes.

4 days before mania, that's a Wednesday! Hmm!

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
On one hand, Brock vs. Drew will be an infinitely better match than Brock vs. Cain. On the other hand, nobody outside of the diehards that are still hanging onto this dying company could possibly give half a poo poo about that match.

What's gonna main event the show? Brock vs. Drew? Becky vs. Charlotte? Roman vs. Fiend? They have no viable bullets left in the chamber anymore. All of those matches are completely lackluster Wrestlemania main events.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the main event will be edge versus sting

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Women's Rumble absolutely slapped. I know a lot of people were down on the Santina gag entry, but having him realize he was being an idiot and eliminate himself IMHO saved it and made it a worthwhile gag entry in the Rumble Gag Entry Pantheon. Charlotte winning was a massive miss, but it was brilliant right up to that point.

I thought Bryan vs Fiend was a pretty solid match, they did some very clever spots that actually took advantage of the stipulation AND Bray's no-selling supernatural creature gimmick and once it got into gear after the protracted beatdown portion I was pretty into it. Other than a flat finish I'd say it was a very solid non-main event title match.

Asuka vs Becky was almost shockingly disappointing. It was just... there. It felt listless, and that's without me even being in the camp of 100% sure Becky would win. Real let down from two of my favorites.

I missed most of Roman v Corbin, thankfully. That said, I found the final 5-10 minutes that I did see quite entertaining. A good opener.

The Men's Rumble... I think had the best of intentions behind all its ideas, but it just didn't deliver. I liked the whole Brock segment a lot more than most people posting it seems like, it had decent story logic behind it, it was cool having my hopes dashed in the 3-on-1 with Kofi, E and Rey, it was cool seeing Keith Lee basically go blow-for-blow with Brock and only get hosed because of Braun's HUBRIS, but again the ending was flat because Drew didn't accomplish the Big Win on his own. Plus he wasn't really framed by circumstances as being anything special. He came into this match as Just Another Dude, so him pulling off the impossible felt awkward and unearned, doubly so because he needed Rico's help. And after that Drew got a few more awesome spots but he spent most of the final 1/4th of the match being a non-entity, so his ultimate triumph was even weirder.

Edges return was really emotional for me, and when he was slugging it out with Roman I was actually super into it, the wiliest of wily veterans going at it with the current generation's pinnacle. But again it went to an anti-climax with Edge just falling off the rail so Drew could get his poo poo in on Roman and make his win feel more earned. Rollins getting mauled was satisfying, but making Joe and Owens look stupid to accomplish it was lame, Rollins should have just had his boys storm the ring and try to full-on cheat to win so they looked less idiotic.

I dunno, I could go on, but anti-climax is ultimately the word of the day for this PPV, and its really a bummer after I decided to give this show an earnest chance.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

DeepDickPizza posted:

On one hand, Brock vs. Drew will be an infinitely better match than Brock vs. Cain. On the other hand, nobody outside of the diehards that are still hanging onto this dying company could possibly give half a poo poo about that match.

What's gonna main event the show? Brock vs. Drew? Becky vs. Charlotte? Roman vs. Fiend? They have no viable bullets left in the chamber anymore. All of those matches are completely lackluster Wrestlemania main events.

Fiend v Drew, Charlotte v Bayley, Becky v ???, Brock v ...?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DeepDickPizza posted:

Is it irrational that I fundamentally don't trust Brock matches in 2020? Like, yeah, sure, its possible if you put him in a match with a good talent he'll have a good match and that guy may even knock him off so RAW can have an actual champ for a minute. But it seems equally likely that he'll just win the match in a 90 second sequence.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Fiend v Drew, Charlotte v Bayley, Becky v ???, Brock v ...?

Drew's definitely going after Brock

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Eat My Fuc posted:

I assume so, too, but I mean. maybe they'll do something different?

( :lol: )

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

Drew v Charlotte, BOOK IT

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Eat My Fuc posted:

The match is going to depend entirely on the build.

...pray for Drew McIntyre.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I've seen Drew cut some fantastic promos on the indies, I think he'll be okay. This isn't the same guy who was in a three man band.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

STAC Goat posted:

Is it irrational that I fundamentally don't trust Brock matches in 2020? Like, yeah, sure, its possible if you put him in a match with a good talent he'll have a good match and that guy may even knock him off so RAW can have an actual champ for a minute. But it seems equally likely that he'll just win the match in a 90 second sequence.

Dude had one match of 26 minutes, with like eight minutes worth otf taking a break, and finished ultra gassed with puddles of sweat. If he did a "good" match it would still be under 5 minutes, so yeah, dont trust brock to have a good match in 2020

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Lol, I completely forgot Bayley vs Lacey, even though Bayley wrestled her rear end off and I was supremely happy with the match's outcome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drew vs. Brock could be good, and Drew should absolutely win it. Drew rules and I'm all for him getting the push he deserves.

Roman vs. The Fiend..... ehhhhhhh.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sanguinia posted:

The Women's Rumble absolutely slapped. I know a lot of people were down on the Santina gag entry, but having him realize he was being an idiot and eliminate himself IMHO saved it and made it a worthwhile gag entry in the Rumble Gag Entry Pantheon.

Nah, it was in really bad taste.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

NULL_SIGNAL posted:

Drew v Charlotte, BOOK IT

mmmmm kip ups

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Roman vs. The Fiend..... ehhhhhhh.
Sucked, ok, it sucked.

It's ok to be upset at them wasting a top tier talent on a zero creativity gassed fart bag whose creativity is "uh, then he no sells, while wearing a mask"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I get what they were going for with the Santina gag - closure for Beth having to suffer through that bullshit years ago etc - but it was a terrible thing to add in and completely tone-deaf for this day and age.

Bianca kicked huge amounts of rear end though and that was great to see.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Are people who are mad about the Santina thing also people who originally watched the goofy rear end Santina stuff or are yall newer to it?

I ask because the goofy poo poo would be weird to view from a 2020 perspective, I know.

E: I'm watching this stupid wrestlemania special thing and some of these guys geeking out in gorilla to the theme songs and stuff is pretty adorable. I love it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I saw all the original Santina stuff, and I really disliked it being in the 2020 Royal Rumble.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Are people who are mad about the Santina thing also people who originally watched the goofy rear end Santina stuff or are yall newer to it?

I ask because the goofy poo poo would be weird to view from a 2020 perspective, I know.

I watched it as it happened and hated it. It's a relic of a bygone era and didn't need to happen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MorningMoon posted:

Dude had one match of 26 minutes, with like eight minutes worth otf taking a break, and finished ultra gassed with puddles of sweat. If he did a "good" match it would still be under 5 minutes, so yeah, dont trust brock to have a good match in 2020

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Brock's entire rep as a good match maker feels like a decade out of date or something. Maybe there's a Joe or AJ or Rollins or Steen match once or twice a year but mostly its just squashes or time killing to squashes. Right?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

How do we know it won't be Roman Vs. Edge in a real retirement match for the guy since he didn't get to go out the way he wanted before beating ADR

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I saw all the original Santina stuff and it was poo poo back then too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I saw all the original Santina stuff, and I really disliked it being in the 2020 Royal Rumble.

Why?

Like, I'm not even contesting it, I just wanna hear reasoning?

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

the one thing i enjoyed about santina was billy and chuck's theme song

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think its safe to say people can have wildly different perspectives on it with the passage of time and their own growth as individuals. Not to mention that Santino himself has proven to be a misogynist and transphobe and spoken out against intergender matches which puts it in a different light.

Personally I thought it was dumb and lovely to the women at the time, but like 20 years ago I definitely had a different view of "men dressing up as women as a joke" than I do now.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Why?

Like, I'm not even contesting it, I just wanna hear reasoning?

It's dumb and transphobic

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Roman seems like he works pretty safe? If Edge is really okay to wrestle some that wouldn't be the worst idea, as far as I remember I don't THINK that Roman's flaws include getting himself over at the expense of his opponent's health

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Brock's entire rep as a good match maker feels like a decade out of date or something. Maybe there's a Joe or AJ or Rollins or Steen match once or twice a year but mostly its just squashes or time killing to squashes. Right?

Going back in time a little with Lesnar matches...

- Tonight's Rumble: well, y'all saw it
- Survivor Servies vs. Rey: fun little five-minute match with a one-move kill
- Crown Jewel vs. Velasquez: poo poo
- SDL vs. Kofi: poo poo
- SummerSlam vs. Rollins: actually a good match with in-match ebb and flow
- MITB: barely in it
- WrestleMania vs. Rollins: pre-match beatdown, suplexes, nutshot, finishers, not much to it
- Rumble vs. Finn: good because Finn is amazing
- Survivor Series vs. DBry: good because DBry is amazing
- Crown Jewel vs. Braun: poo poo
- SummerSlam vs. Roman: in and out reaaaal quick because the fans wanted to boo, not much to it
- GRR vs. Roman: poo poo
- WrestleMania vs. Roman: poo poo

I mean, there it is.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

STAC Goat posted:

Not to mention that Santino himself has proven to be a misogynist and transphobe and spoken out against intergender matches which puts it in a different light.

Jesus really? gently caress that, why are so many wrestlers garbage people. Now I'm mad that it happened AND that I thought it was pass-worthy in context. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sanguinia posted:

Jesus really? gently caress that, why are so many wrestlers garbage people. Now I'm mad that it happened AND that I thought it was pass-worthy in context. :mad:

Yeah. As best as I remember it the Impact Tessa Blanchard push started like a year ago when she was booked to face Eli Drake on a Twitch show and Drake refused and was fired/quit over it. Santino was co-hosting a talk show on their Twitch channel with Alicia Atout at the time and went off on an extended rant about how women can't hit and don't belong in the ring with men because it encourages women in real life to take self defense courses and think they can fight men and leads to them getting raped. Or something really absurdly gross like that. And then awkwardly transitioned that into a bunch of gross poo poo about trans women. And then about how really sexism and racism and bigotry are all just drummed up by the media and sjws and doesn't really exist in our society or something. Expect when its caused by giving women too much confidence and sense of power by thinking they could win a fight... or something.

It was really rather incoherent from what I remember, but very gross.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/03/santino-marella-gives-his-honest-opinions-on-intergender-652103/

quote:

"If there's a girl out there that says, 'This guy's giving us attitude, I'm gonna step in and fight this guy because I saw that women can fight men, because of intergender wrestling,'" Marella began, "And she goes out there and lips off, and this guy's a mental case, and he just cracks her with his fist and shatters her face, an orbital, and busts her lip…She wouldn't have done it — perhaps — beforehand, because she didn't get this inflated sense of confidence because of intergender wrestling."

Marella thinks it's socially irresponsible to be featuring these men vs. women bouts on a massive, televised scale. The former WWE Intercontinental Champion then mentions how the news likes to exaggerate the severity of the issues between men and women, as well as different races.

"We're not at war, men and women are not at war," Marella stated. "The media would like you to think that. If I wanted to drive a wedge between society, well, there's 50/50 right there - men and women. Let's make them hate each other and guess what? We divided half the people. We have to learn to think for ourselves...No one hates anybody. We're misinformed, even the racism."

Santino then gave his take on transgender athletes joining pro wrestling, MMA, and other competitive sports.

"There's cases now in MMA and wrestling where there's trans girls that were born boys that are beating the s--t out of females and that's wrong," Santino said. "If you're a guy — born a guy — and you become a woman, you're accepted everywhere, but in the field of actual competitive sports, there has to be a barrier. And the barrier is based on, you were born a God da-- man. You're accepted as a human being, and as a person, and you are loved in every single way, except it's not fair that you compete against women in sports because you were born with different physical biological attributes. And we have to be realistic about it, and we also have to not be so sensitive."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 27, 2020